PDA

View Full Version : KC thinking outside the Box: Bringing back Powder Blue Road Uni's

Hangar18
07-29-2005, 09:44 AM
Get this. The KC Royals are finally thinking outside the box and thinking smart.
Getting rid of the BLACK is a huge start. Trying too hard to be someone else, plus the fact that black and blue DONT match together (memo to Toronto)

I like the idea of them with the lite blue road uni's. As a kid, I remember
how bright they looked when they visited old comiskey

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/050728

Lip Man 1
07-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Hangar:

Someone posted this a few days ago they provided a link to the story and
specifically said this is something you'd be sure to see.

LOL

Lip

Brian26
07-29-2005, 11:44 AM
This guy writes great columns. Good stuff.

Iwritecode
07-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Maybe it's just me but I always thought the light blue uni's were fugly. Especially when they were worn by teams like the Phillies or Reds. I just didn't seem like the colors went together.

Maybe it'll work better for the Royals with their royal blue...

RKMeibalane
07-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Maybe it's just me but I always thought the light blue uni's were fugly. Especially when they were worn by teams like the Phillies or Reds. I just didn't seem like the colors went together.

Maybe it'll work better for the Royals with their royal blue...

I don't mind seeing it used for the Royals, but you're right, the Phillies uniforms were atrocious, as were the Cards back in the early 80's.

Brian26
07-29-2005, 12:38 PM
I don't mind seeing it used for the Royals, but you're right, the Phillies uniforms were atrocious, as were the Cards back in the early 80's.

I think the one team that the powder blue is perfect for is indeed the Royals.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2005, 12:41 PM
The original team to use powder blue for their road uniforms? The White Sox, 1964.

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/Uniforms/64Navy.jpg

Powder blue road uniforms became quite popular in the 70's and lingered well into the 80's. I agree it is a good choice for the Royals and would work well for Toronto, too. Both those teams are currently in need of major uniform overhauls, too

batmanZoSo
07-29-2005, 01:01 PM
The original team to use powder blue for their road uniforms? The White Sox, 1964.

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/Uniforms/64Navy.jpg

Powder blue road uniforms became quite popular in the 70's and lingered well into the 80's. I agree it is a good choice for the Royals and would work well for Toronto, too. Both those teams are currently in need of major uniform overhauls, too

What a surprise...

Seriously, we rule the earth when it comes to uniform innovations. I think we looked good in those, and did the Royals, Phillies and Cardinals. It's just a pimp look I must say. Of course it fits the Royals the best and with the Padres breaking the barrier of road gray, it's not surprising. For a non-blue team to wear these today would seem a bit off, but the Royals will look good I think. It's been so long since I can remember a blue roadie, it'll be cool. Hope they really do it.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2005, 01:01 PM
This guy writes great columns. Good stuff.

Perhaps you're right, but I'm truly disappointed Lukas isn't crediting the Sox with this innovation. How the hell did he decide the Cubs get the credit?
:?:

Those weren't powder blue uniforms the Flubs wore in 1941. They were vests -- and alternate vests at that! And how the hell does he credit the Dodgers wearing satin jerseys with being second to wear powder blue? The fabrics don't even remotely look the same!
:o:

The innovation of powder blue uniforms wasn't using the color itself, Mr. Lukas. The innovation was using powder blue as a replacement to the base gray used by every team for virtually every road uniform going back over 60 years! It was the dawn of the color TV era, and getting rid of plain gray was the innovation -- not cheesy vests or even cheesier satin fabric!!!

All those powder blue uniforms Lukas lists from the 60's, 70's and 80's were copying what the WHITE SOX introduced in 1964. How ****ing clueless must Lukas be to completely miss this obvious point???
:angry:

I_Liked_Manuel
07-29-2005, 01:19 PM
edited

RKMeibalane
07-29-2005, 02:21 PM
edited

Wasn't this kid banned a few months ago?

ChiSoxRowand
07-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Hangar:

LOL

Lip

I was actually the guy who posted something about KC changing uniforms, but it was a different link and it said nothing about changing to powder blue. It just talked about them getting rid of the black and adding more gold.

Hangar18
07-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Hangar:

LOL

Lip

Actually LIP, someone posted that KC was getting rid of the black in their uniforms. This POST is about them going back to the Lite Blue uniforms,
something that hasnt been in the MLB since 1992 per that article.

Hangar18
07-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Im glad PHG pointed out the INACCURACY of Lukas' statement. I knew
something was awry when the article called the Cubs "Innovators". The Cubs
havnt innovated anything (7th inning stretch? yeah right. Throwing ball back? right ...its a fake ball)

Corlose 15
07-29-2005, 06:34 PM
Personally I think the Royals would be fine if they just ditched the black in their road uniforms. Ugh, are those things hideous!!:o:

I like their alternate blues and their sleeveless blues look good too. If I were them I'd just use gray with blue piping and a script Kansas City. Or something like that.

TheOldRoman
07-29-2005, 06:52 PM
Hangar, you are jumping to conclusions.

Nowhere in the article does it say that KC will switch to powder blue. Here is the quote.

So which team currently has powder blues on the drawing board? Uni Watch isn't at liberty to say, but here's a hint: A person connected to the project recently remarked, "Light blue would be a such a strong statement for a lame franchise." That should narrow it down to, oh, seven or eight teams.

That could be KC, it could also be the Devil Rays, Reds, or many other horrible teams. The article posted before said the Royals are switching uniforms for 06. This said the team will be switching to powder blue in 07. I don't think the Royals would create a new road jersey just to use it for one year.

doublem23
07-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Powder blue?

:chunks:

No thank you. "Retro garbage."