PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 7/29/05

Hangar18
07-29-2005, 10:28 AM
Whats the bigger story in Chicago today? The SOX trying to acquire AJ Burnett
or the Cubs pending acquisition of Alfonso Soriano? If you ask the Cubune Jr (Sun-Times), they'll tell you hellyes its the Soriano deal. Both papers are going HOGWILD at the idea. Shoot, they even have playoff possibilities (and world series implications) mapped out for the Cubs should the Rangers end up giving him away. The NOMAR WATCH graphic is now up also. More stories about Ryne Sandberg. The Cubs LeadStory/BackPage cover pic streak continues and is now at 4. Not bad for a .500 team eh?

Cubune:
7 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Cub-Times:
7 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Standings as of only 7/25:
3rd Place team, 2 gms over .500 CUBS 49
1st Place team, 30 gms over .500 SOX 21 (best record in mlb mind you)

kittle42
07-29-2005, 10:35 AM
That's because Soriano is the bigger story right now. There were daily Burnett articles galore last week and early this week.

Madvora
07-29-2005, 11:02 AM
or the Cubs pending acquisition of Alfonso Soriano? If you ask the Cubune Jr (Sun-Times), they'll tell you hellyes its the Soriano deal. Both papers are going HOGWILD at the idea. Shoot, they even have playoff possibilities (and world series implications) mapped out for the Cubs should the Rangers end up giving him away. The NOMAR WATCH graphic is now up also. More stories about Ryne Sandberg. The Cubs LeadStory/BackPage cover pic streak continues and is now at 4. Not bad for a .500 team eh?

Cubune:
7 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Cub-Times:
7 Cub Stories
2 Sox Stories

Standings as of only 7/25:
3rd Place team, 2 gms over .500 CUBS 49
1st Place team, 30 gms over .500 SOX 21 (best record in mlb mind you)
I had no idea what this thread was about, this is the first time I looked in for some reason. I like it. Keep up those tallies. That's interesting to see.

Brian26
07-29-2005, 11:18 AM
or the Cubs pending acquisition of Alfonso Soriano?

The feeling I get from both the Cubune and the Cub-Times is an underlying desperate hope that the Cubs get back into the Wild Card race. It seems like the fair and honest approach would be to hope that the Sox can make a huge run through the playoffs and get to the World Series, but that's not the case. They are more focused on the Cubs chances than the Sox.

whitesoxfan
07-29-2005, 11:33 AM
on the backpage there's a small article saying "You can put it on the board" and it talks about how Rooney and Farmer were the best radio team in the AL from rankings on USAToday.com.

The last sentence in it is my favorite though. "The Cubs' duo of Pat Hughes and Ron Santo finished a stunning 26th out of 30." :rolleyes:

ChiSoxPatF
07-29-2005, 11:35 AM
on the backpage there's a small article saying "You can put it on the board" and it talks about how Rooney and Farmer were the best radio team in the AL from rankings on USAToday.com.

The last sentence in it is my favorite though. "The Cubs' duo of Pat Hughes and Ron Santo finished a stunning 26th out of 30." :rolleyes:

What's stunning is that they made it as high as 26th. Its painful just to listen to them.

maurice
07-29-2005, 11:35 AM
. . . despite the fact that the cubs' record has stalled in the vicinity of 2 games over .500, leaving them mired in 3rd place behind a very hot Houston club. Now they think Soriano and a rehabbing Garciapara will "put them over the top," 'cause apparently their problem is a lack of right-handed power. Only an irrational cub booster would make such a claim.

Somebody please alert the media that 3rd-place teams never make the playoffs in MLB.

Brian26
07-29-2005, 12:21 PM

I caught that as well, with the same reaction. Santo is the worst broadcaster I've ever heard (and that includes 1996-1997 Harry). Just awful.

chuckn98229
07-29-2005, 12:22 PM
It is a veritable cubbie orgasm in the on-line cubune sports section today. Glad to see the objectivity and journalistic integrity that George touts is alive and well at the Tribune (aka Tass/Pravda).

skobabe8
07-29-2005, 12:28 PM
I had no idea what this thread was about, this is the first time I looked in for some reason. I like it. Keep up those tallies. That's interesting to see.

I luuuuv the newsmedia watch! Hangar, did you just start it up? I dont recall seeing it earlier in the summer.

harwar
07-29-2005, 12:42 PM
Its not much better on the radio side.
I tuned into "the score' (first time in weeks) hoping to hear something about the White Sox - orioles seires or some trade deadline news and all i get is two total morons(B&B) trying extremely hard to get a manny r. to the cubs trade story going.

Kogs35
07-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Its not much better on the radio side.
I tuned into "the score' (first time in weeks) hoping to hear something about the White Sox - orioles seires or some trade deadline news and all i get is two total morons(B&B) trying extremely hard to get a manny r. to the cubs trade story going.

b&b r 2 year old girls who have a drinking problem and r immature.