PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Sun Takes A Shot At The Sox

Madvora
07-29-2005, 09:17 AM
White Sox may be No. 1 in majors, but in Chicago, they're only No. 2

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.whitesox29jul29,1,7833633.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball
to log in...
bugmenot90@mailinator.com
bugmenot

What! Again! Where the hell did this come from?

BeviBall!
07-29-2005, 09:19 AM
This is the first I've heard of this. Did their spies avoid our detection?

iwcup
07-29-2005, 09:20 AM
After further review the baltimore sun is owned by.....yep you guessed it the Tribune corp........

Dick Allen
07-29-2005, 09:23 AM
More regurgitation of the same tired subject, more laziness in the sports media.

zach074
07-29-2005, 09:23 AM
White Sox fans could blend right into Baltimore, said former Orioles general manager Roland Hemond, who has spent much of his career in Chicago. "They're very loyal, they know the game, they study it very well," he said, "where the Cubs appear to be more of a social event than about the game itself."
I couldn't have said it better myself.

itsnotrequired
07-29-2005, 09:25 AM
I thought it was a rather fair article.

zach074
07-29-2005, 09:26 AM
More regurgitation of the same tired subject, more laziness in the sports media.

If you read the article its a good one. The title is misleading they don't say anything bad about the sox or the fans.

GoGoSoxReborn
07-29-2005, 09:31 AM
The writer actually gives a fair and balanced description of what it is pretty much like. He knocks the Cubs way more than the Sox in the article. He pretty much reiterates what we all say here. That Sox fans care about the team, Cubs fans care about the park.

After working at a newspaper I know enough that writers do not come up with their own headlines. This is the same case here. Don't let the headline dictate what the article is trying to say.

Madvora
07-29-2005, 09:46 AM
I thought it was a rather fair article.
Actually, yeah the article is fair and does make a little sense of having a story on the Sox since they are coming into town, BUT what about the title? And why the hell do we always have to hear about the God Damn Cubs!?
Every city we go into, something like this is printed in the paper. My God! Pay attention to the important aspect... the baseball one.

This is the most over done story of all time.

ChiSoxPatF
07-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Actually, yeah the article is fair and does make a little sense of having a story on the Sox since they are coming into town, BUT what about the title? And why the hell do we always have to hear about the God Damn Cubs!?
Every city we go into, something like this is printed in the paper. My God! Pay attention to the important aspect... the baseball one.

This is the most over done story of all time.

I thought it was a fairer article than normal but you couldn't be more right. Why doesn't anyone write an article at-length about the team chemistry or the change in philosophy or something that really matters?

I mean, this team should be recognized throughout the league as a new brand of baseball that is successful - pitching speed and defense - over the slugging teams that have ruled for the last decade. THATS a story. Stop mentioning the 12th in batting average stat or average attendance/neighborhoods and start talking about sac bunts and steals. I want to read an article about this style that is actually intelligent and doesn't resort to the old Cubune backhanded statement "but they're really not playing small ball because they also have so many home runs."

Dick Allen
07-29-2005, 10:06 AM
If you read the article its a good one. The title is misleading they don't say anything bad about the sox or the fans.I did read the article, and it wasn't too bad, granted. But it's still the same old garbage rehashed.

Hangar18
07-29-2005, 10:06 AM
After working at a newspaper I know enough that writers do not come up with their own headlines. This is the same case here. Don't let the headline dictate what the article is trying to say.

YES, but the HEADLINE has a way of sticking out and CEMENTING and further MYTHOLOGIZING the Tribune/Media nonsense weve been used to for years.
This is a Tribune owned paper. Of course theyre going to put that headline there. Look at it this way. That headline couldve said:
SOX FANS TRULY SMARTER THAN CUB FANS
or how about SOX Fans one in a Million.

Any headline POSITIVE of the SOX wasnt an option. It has to be Negative.
Everything POSITIVE is saved for the Cubs. next question please.

White Sox Randy
07-29-2005, 10:16 AM
That Was Very Well Written And Very Accurate - It Would Be Nice If One Of Our Chicago Sportswriters Were Capable Of Such Writing.

Juice16
07-29-2005, 10:30 AM
That Was Very Well Written And Very Accurate - It Would Be Nice If One Of Our Chicago Sportswriters Were Capable Of Such Writing.

I agree. I don't think this article bashes the Sox while it does indict the Cubbie phenomenon and its sheep.

Frankly Missing
07-29-2005, 10:43 AM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.whitesox29jul29,1,7833633.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

Nice to see some press outside Chicago "gets it"

fquaye149
07-29-2005, 10:49 AM
the search option is your friend

Frankly Missing
07-29-2005, 10:53 AM
the search option is your friend

no whiz kid here, thanx!

jackbrohamer
07-29-2005, 11:04 AM
The statement that Frank Thomas "became a testy occupant of Sammy Sosa's shadow" is idiotic.

skobabe8
07-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Its an OK article with some fair points, and some stupid comments. That was my take.

The article states:

In Chicago, by all accounts, you can't fancy both baseball teams. And Sox people say brick, ivy and tradition be damned, they'll take their lot in life.

What I dont get is who are these people that correlate Cubs with tradition, and why? What tradition do they have exactly? Whenever I get into it with my friends, they will usually bring up the "T" word, and I will always say "tradition of what? Losing?" And they NEVER know what to say.

TornLabrum
07-29-2005, 02:46 PM
Hmmm...I received an email to be interviewed for that article but was in Kankakee helping my mom when it came. FWIW, look for an article with a similar theme by Reuters, written by a Sox fan btw, becuase the writer did get to me on that one.

Also, Chicago Magazine has an article coming up in their October issue about Kenny Williams that I was interviewed for. Suddenly there is a lot of interest in Sox fans, and a lot of the writers are coming to WSI to find out about us.

mr_genius
07-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Hmmm...I received an email to be interviewed for that article but was in Kankakee helping my mom when it came. FWIW, look for an article with a similar theme by Reuters, written by a Sox fan btw, becuase the writer did get to me on that one.

Also, Chicago Magazine has an article coming up in their October issue about Kenny Williams that I was interviewed for. Suddenly there is a lot of interest in Sox fans, and a lot of the writers are coming to WSI to find out about us.

can i have your autograph? lol

:D:

seriously though, it is nice to see other media outlets telling the truth about the cubs and their "die hard" fans.

Hitmen77
07-29-2005, 03:21 PM
White Sox may be No. 1 in majors, but in Chicago, they're only No. 2

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.whitesox29jul29,1,7833633.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball
to log in...
bugmenot90@mailinator.com
bugmenot

What! Again! Where the hell did this come from?

Isn't that headline listed as one of our predictions in the "You write the Cubune Headline" thread? LOL! Our posts are funny because they are true. Just like we've seen from some local articles, it sounds like it's a good article that was pasted with a negative Sox/pro Cubs headline by Tribune editors.

batmanZoSo
07-29-2005, 03:27 PM
*snore, cough*

Wha? :?:

*unintelligible mumbling, goes back to bed*