PDA

View Full Version : The "what's the score" phenomenon hits small-town America

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2005, 02:21 AM
Wednesday night I went to the Northwoods League game between the Mankato Moondogs and the Thunder Bay Bordercats. There were three girls, probably 18-19, sitting behind me. They spent the entire game chatting about boys (I believe I heard the word "like" used well over 800 times "and he's like...so I'm all like..., and then she's like..., and then I was just like so effing pissed that I was just like...") and talking on their cell phones.

Then, in the seventh inning, a Thunder Bay player hit a three-run homer. As he came around third, the entire Thunder Bay dugout emptied to congratulate him. One of the girls said "wait, wait, what just happened? Is the game over?"

DaleJRFan
07-29-2005, 02:24 AM
In the girls' defense, my girlfriend's cousin is dating a player on the Charleston Riverdogs. When she visits, she is forced to go to games with her family and has told me that she, and the rest of her 18-23 year old cousins, pay absolutely no attention to the games... Maybe that is what you witnessed...

DumpJerry
07-29-2005, 08:24 AM
Flub fans in the making......look out!

Over By There
07-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Did you verify whether any of the girls were in fact our very own bafiarocks03? :tongue:

Erik The Red
07-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Did you verify whether any of the girls were in fact our very own bafiarocks03? :tongue:
:rolling:

fquaye149
07-29-2005, 11:46 AM
shoot - I must confess when I go to see the South Bend Silverhawks play on dollar mondays (beer, hot dogs, admission all a dollar) I play the role of Cub fan. :redface:

Look - dollar beers and baseball - they're lucky I don't 10 cent beer night Cleveland them. Anyway, I make no real apologies - this is the lowest of low a-ball, Diamondbacks franchise. Most of these players aren't any better than the kids I played high school ball with. I just enjoy the ballpark atmosphere and drink myself to heaven.

guess I'd fit right in at wrigley - yeah right:D: . This is all fine when it's dollar admission, low low minor league ball and dollar beer. For 30 bucks admission, alleged major league ball, and 6 dollar beer you'll NEVER catch me pulling that bull****.

Steakpita
07-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Are there any incredibly great low-price minor league promotions like that one closer to Chicago? Dollar beer night sounds... oooh man, sign me up!

:gulp:

fquaye149
07-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Are there any incredibly great low-price minor league promotions like that one closer to Chicago? Dollar beer night sounds... oooh man, sign me up!

Only in South Bend, I'm sure, would they be that naive:D: .Anyway, I'm pretty sure that dollar beers were abolished after the last game I went to where I saw about three guys getting beat down by cops for being dumbasses. I heard from a friend a few days later that now beers were going to be regular price but hot dogs and tickets would stay a dollar. Needless to say I wasn't half surprised.

(And yet the promotion had been going on, as far as I know, for at least a year and a half before it was canceled):rolleyes:

sthbndsox
07-29-2005, 01:59 PM
i live about 10 minutes from The Cove (where the Silverhawks play) and I love going to the dollar monday games, except that I watch the game lol. Although I do play High School baseball, so maybe that makes a difference?

fquaye149
07-29-2005, 02:23 PM
i live about 10 minutes from The Cove (where the Silverhawks play) and I love going to the dollar monday games, except that I watch the game lol. Although I do play High School baseball, so maybe that makes a difference?

ha ha could be. Although I think you would learn more about baseball by not watching the games, judging by the few dollar mondays I actually watched on account of d.d.ing

Nellie_Fox
07-30-2005, 03:20 AM
Did you verify whether any of the girls were in fact our very own bafiarocks03? :tongue:Hmmm...didn't think to ask, but since unlike Rome, NO roads lead to Mankato, it's unlikely.:wink:

CubKilla
07-30-2005, 11:44 AM

I believe the Windy City Thunderbolts in Crestwood, Ill., have dollar beer nights on Thursday. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

I'm like 99.9% sure though :D:

white sox bill
07-30-2005, 12:07 PM
Wednesday night I went to the Northwoods League game between the Mankato Moondogs and the Thunder Bay Bordercats. There were three girls, probably 18-19, sitting behind me. They spent the entire game chatting about boys (I believe I heard the word "like" used well over 800 times "and he's like...so I'm all like..., and then she's like..., and then I was just like so effing pissed that I was just like...") and talking on their cell phones.

Then, in the seventh inning, a Thunder Bay player hit a three-run homer. As he came around third, the entire Thunder Bay dugout emptied to congratulate him. One of the girls said "wait, wait, what just happened? Is the game over?"

Yea now that I'm 45 I remember when I used to date women in that age range..rocket scientists they weren't but man did they have everything else!!:bandance: