PDA

View Full Version : Why not trade for Soriano?

gr8mexico
07-29-2005, 12:21 AM
I know he might hurt us with his glove but put him in second and move Iguchi SS. Gooch played SS in Japan. Soriano can also DH sometimes and he has the power the Sox need.

Soxzilla
07-29-2005, 12:26 AM
Gooch doesn't have the arm for SS.

Norberto7
07-29-2005, 12:26 AM
I know he might hurt us with his glove but put him in second and move Iguchi SS. Gooch played SS in Japan. Soriano can also DH sometimes and he has the power the Sox need.

Given the last two games in Kansas City, I don't really want to see anyone "hurting us with his glove".

Chisox003
07-29-2005, 12:27 AM

No, this team was successful with fielding and pitching in the first half...

Honestly, I think Uribe is going to heat up (No teal needed), and the only other SS worthy of a deal is Vizquel

Soriano is a FA after this year, and hed be an extremely expensive rental, that quite honestly wouldnt help much

Id rather see a Cintron type player if we're gonna get an Infielder.....

Optipessimism
07-29-2005, 12:28 AM
You're serious?

Iguchi became a second baseman in Japan because he couldn't play SS anymore.

Adding Soriano adds a HUGE hole up the middle and piles on the strikeouts. This increases ERA and makes us have to score more runs.

In short, adding Soriano as an offensive upgrade would make us have to score even more runs. Soriano = very, very bad.

Tragg
07-29-2005, 12:34 AM
Imagine Paul Konerko with 1/2 the walks, twice the strikouts and worse in the field, and you have Soriano. You can't consider putting him in the field. Completely reshuffling our infield to accomodate soriano would be ridiculous.

And for his good power, his OBP is simply awful. How can you hit 25 homers and only have a .316 OBP? Usually power guys have deceptively decent OBPs simply because they are pitched around a lot.

If we can't get a marque hitter, we need to get someone who fits in with this team's philosophy, like Huff or Overbay.

Jjav829
07-29-2005, 12:35 AM

Short answer: Because Soriano sucks.

Long answer: Because Soriano sucks.

Ok, seriously, for the long answer. Iguchi can't handle shortstop. Soriano is a butcher at 2B. The Rangers asked the Mets for world for Soriano. We could probably acquire Huff, Baez and Burnett for the equivalent of what the Rangers asked for from the Mets. Also, Soriano is an overrated player. He doesn't walk much. He can't play defense. Yes, he's quick and he has power. But considering the price he would cost, and the fact that he doesn't have a true position, he doesn't fit our team.

JB98
07-29-2005, 12:46 AM
LOL. Mike Kiley's "game story" in tomorrow's Cub-Times is all about how the Cubs are going to be the "talk of the baseball world" after they trade for Soriano. He even talks about how the Cubs will be primed to "make a serious run at the World Series for a third straight year" if they acquire Soriano.

Just laughable crap.

gr8mexico
07-29-2005, 12:50 AM
That's the only problem with Soriano his glove but he steals bases and hits homeruns. The reason that Gooch moved to second was because he got hurt. But if the Sox send Contreras to Texas I think the Rangers would agree because they are always looking for pitching but only send them Contreras if the Sox could trade for AJ.

Tragg
07-29-2005, 12:53 AM
That's the only problem with Soriano his glove but he steals bases and hits homeruns. The reason that Gooch moved to second was because he got hurt. But if the Sox send Contreras to Texas I think the Rangers would agree because they are always looking for pitching but only send them Contreras if the Sox could trade for AJ.

BAd OBP and way too many Ks are other problems with Soriano.

Walkman
07-29-2005, 12:53 AM
Defensively we would suck up the middle, and Soriano is a pr*** in the clubhouse. Not what we need.

JB98
07-29-2005, 12:54 AM
Defensively we would suck up the middle, and Soriano is a pr*** in the clubhouse. Not what we need.

He'd fit in perfectly with the Cubs.

Tragg
07-29-2005, 12:56 AM
LOL. Mike Kiley's "game story" in tomorrow's Cub-Times is all about how the Cubs are going to be the "talk of the baseball world" after they trade for Soriano. He even talks about how the Cubs will be primed to "make a serious run at the World Series for a third straight year" if they acquire Soriano.

Just laughable crap.

You are kidding,....right?

Walkman
07-29-2005, 01:02 AM
He'd fit in perfectly with the Cubs.

Yes, let's rebuild our team in the likeness of the Scrubbies.

elrod
07-29-2005, 01:07 AM
I don't think Soriano is so bad. His OPS is .864, which is the highest it's been since 2002. His OBP is down but his slugging is up. The only White Sox player with a higher OPS this season is Frank Thomas.

Optipessimism
07-29-2005, 01:08 AM

Just laughable crap.

I hope the Flubs get Soriano. If they do, and if they resign Nomar which I also hope they do, they will have an infield of 3B Aramis Ramirez ($10.5mil in '06), SS Nomar (probably about $8mil in '06), 2B Soriano ($10mil in '06), 1B Derrek Lee ($7.5mil in '06). That is a $36mil infield that, besides having a Gold Glover at 1B, still sucks defensively. Add to that Woods' contract which is insane for a closer (his only real chance at staying off the DL), and you have another all-or-nothing team that wins a lot of 10-8 type games and loses a bunch of 4-2, 3-1 type games.

Come on, Flub fans. Push for Soriano so hard that you get him. It's fun watching you cry.

Tragg
07-29-2005, 01:21 AM
SS Nomar (probably about $8mil in '06),
Oh they've got to...they just had a day dedicated to his wife. Soriano would fit perfectly with the Cubs.
And they can send us Jerry Hariston, who's a nice little ballplayer and would be a perfect replacement for Willie. Dumb-a$$ baker wouldn't play the guy for 3 months. Who needs .350+ OBP for the last 3 seasons when you can have corey patterson leading things off foryou.

SomebodyToldMe
07-29-2005, 01:22 AM
Wow. So many people hate Soriano. He's actually my second favorite player (next to A-Rod) in the league. Soriano was the only guy I cheered for when the Yanks were in the playoffs a few years ago. I'd root for him, then realize that he was helping the Yanks. So my brain was a little confused.

Nyls Nyman
07-29-2005, 01:24 AM
I don't think Soriano is so bad. His OPS is .864, which is the highest it's been since 2002. His OBP is down but his slugging is up. The only White Sox player with a higher OPS this season is Frank Thomas.
Maybe so, but a .864 OPS with bad defense is not exactly setting the world on fire to demand multiple top prospects. Heck, his teammate Michael Young has an .882 OPS, and even the Reds' Felipe Lopez has an .848 OPS.

I'd rather see them trade Harris and a B prospect for Lopez (not that I think the Reds would make that deal) than trade a pile of prospects to rent Soriano.

Tragg
07-29-2005, 01:27 AM
Wow. So many people hate Soriano.

It's not personal on Soriano. It's just his game on this team is not a great fit.

I like watching him play too. I loved watching Dave Kingman in the 1970s.

But it's like blinking christmas tree lights - I like watching them, but just not on my tree.

SomebodyToldMe
07-29-2005, 01:31 AM
But it's like blinking christmas tree lights - I like watching them, but just not on my tree.

hahahaha

Great analogy! :thumbsup:

I guess I'll agree with ya on that one. But still, part of me would love to have a Soriano Sox jersey. Ya know, it just feels great to have one of your favorite players come to your team.

But again, I hear what your saying.

Optipessimism
07-29-2005, 01:31 AM
It's not personal on Soriano. It's just his game on this team is not a great fit.

I like watching him play too. I loved watching Dave Kingman in the 1970s.

I don't think he fits on any team unless he's a DH.

BTW, just like staring at blinking lights over a long period of time can give you a seizure, watching Soriano bobble balls all over the infield can give you a heart attack.

Lip Man 1
07-29-2005, 01:49 AM
Opti:

The problem with your comment about 'hoping' the Cubs get Soriano and have a 36 million dollar infield is the fact that the Cubs payroll has been 90 million or better the last what? three years. Having 36 million just for the infield isn't that big of a deal PLUS next year they aren't shelling out 15 million or so paying off the rest of Sosa's deal.

Lip

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-29-2005, 01:59 AM
Another reason why I wouldn't want Soriano, he has a .240 BA on the road with a .677 OPS compared to a .322 AVG with a 1.031 OPS at the Ballpark in Arlington. The sox don't need another low average hitter in the line up.

Optipessimism
07-29-2005, 02:01 AM
Opti:

The problem with your comment about 'hoping' the Cubs get Soriano and have a 36 million dollar infield is the fact that the Cubs payroll has been 90 million or better the last what? three years. Having 36 million just for the infield isn't that big of a deal PLUS next year they aren't shelling out 15 million or so paying off the rest of Sosa's deal.

Lip

THe good part is the fact that you take a 36 mil infield, add almost another 11 in Wood's salary, add another 9mil for Maddux whose option kicks in after 400 IP (and it will), and that leaves them with only 34mil left to fill out an entire outfield, four starters, an entire bench, and four to five spots in the bullpen if they go off a 90mil payroll.

I like it when they don't use their money wisely.

Banix12
07-29-2005, 02:14 AM
I don't mind him but I don't think the sox really need him that much right now. I don't think the rangers are interested in trading him right now since he is the best power guy they have from the right side of the plate. Also, Texas would ask for a ton of pitching in return, likely something at least equal to the trade rumored for AJ Burnett, and since the sox would not be getting a solid pitcher in return it likely would create some sort of hole in the rotation or bullpen.

His reluctance to play OF kinda stinks too. Though he is a great hitter and would be an asset to any team.

ilsox7
07-29-2005, 02:26 AM
It just absolutely amazes me that people spent the last 4 years bitching and moaning about how the Sox couldn't pitch and catch the ball. Now that we can do that and are winning at a record pace, people want to go back to the old formula? *****. Pay attention to what has happened with this team's philosophy the last 9 months. Geeze.

Banix12
07-29-2005, 03:08 AM
So I read on a Cubs Board and on Baseball Prospectus that Bruce Levine is reporting that the Cubs are very close to a deal for Alfonso Soriano. He is also reporting that the Cubs will move Soriano to Left Field. Both teams are denying talking to each other apparently.

So since this is Bruce Levine reporting and considering his recent track record in predicting trades I think we can safely say this trade is never gonna happen. (yes I'm aware he scooped the Carlos Lee trade but everybody gets lucky once in awhile, 1 for 100 is not a great average of success)

Hangar18
07-29-2005, 09:19 AM

Just laughable crap.

Mike Kiley blurs the line between beat reporter/fan/tamperer doesnt he?
Hes exactly like every cub "fan" out there ........the WORST

Hangar18
07-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Amazing how these players FALL into the cubs laps.
Soriano is going to be verrrrrrrrry good in the National League

samram
07-29-2005, 09:38 AM
Soriano is going to be verrrrrrrrry good in the National League

I wasn't aware playing out of position in the NL made one a better fielder when they were a butcher in the AL.

Dick Allen
07-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Hes exactly like every cub "fan" out there ........the WORSTThis can give you a head start on your media watch for today. Picking up my Cub-Times this morning, I may as well have been reading the Vineline. Full back page picture of Soriano, as if the trade had already made, plus another six full pages of cub coverage. Of course they went overboard on ryno coverage.

PatK
07-29-2005, 10:41 AM

Just laughable crap.

Somebody needs to remind Mr. Kiley that you actually have to make the playoffs in order to make a "serious run at the World Series".

SomebodyToldMe
07-29-2005, 10:47 AM
So THIS is what I wake up to today:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/dasanixcore/IM000174.jpg

Wow. And this is in a NWI newspaper. Of course, all I see first is the top half, so I immediately get filled with anger and sadness because I think one of my favorite players is now a cub.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Soriano is going to be verrrrrrrrry good in the National LeagueWhat are you talking about? Why should Soriano be any better in the NL than in the AL? He'll replace Patterson's strikeouts, but not much else. He's hardly the final piece of the puzzle and is a FA after this year. Besides the fact that no deal has actually happened.

If it does happen, the Cubs will have squandered some of their best prospects to rent a player to take them nowhere. What a great deal. If Hendry had any sense (or stones), they'd be selling, not buying.

SouthSidein05
07-29-2005, 11:44 AM

He just wouldn't fit in to the White Sox system though. They don't rely on homers, they would need a guy who gets on base a lot so guys can drive him in. His OBP really isn't that good, and he deosn't walk much at all. If the Sox trade for a bat, they will trade for a big one, but one that at least gets on base more.

JB98
07-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Hes exactly like every cub "fan" out there ........the WORST

He's not a reporter. He's a loose cannon, and being a professional journalist myself, I have no respect for him. The Sun-Times is our sister publication, so we often use their coverage of the Chicago teams in our paper. (Except for the Bears. We have our own reporter for that.) I don't mind using Padilla's coverage of the Sox, but I cringe every time I am required to place one of Kiley's stories on one of my pages.

Honestly, last night we were all looking at each other wondering whether the Sun-Times had sent us a game story or a sidebar. There was very little detail about the game. I guess Kiley wanted to ignore the fact that the Cubs got their ASSES WHIPPED and drum up some playoff fever with a crap story about trade rumors.

ChiSoxRowand
07-29-2005, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't mind trading for Soriano if he played DH full time, with a fill in at 2nd every once in a while. Also, I don't think he is a FA after this year, I think he is arbitration eligible. We could give up McCarthy, Tracey, Willie, and Munoz.

batmanZoSo
07-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Short answer: Because Soriano sucks.

Long answer: Because Soriano sucks.

Ok, seriously, for the long answer. Iguchi can't handle shortstop. Soriano is a butcher at 2B. The Rangers asked the Mets for world for Soriano. We could probably acquire Huff, Baez and Burnett for the equivalent of what the Rangers asked for from the Mets. Also, Soriano is an overrated player. He doesn't walk much. He can't play defense. Yes, he's quick and he has power. But considering the price he would cost, and the fact that he doesn't have a true position, he doesn't fit our team.

I would take him for left field and live with his glove, if we needed a left fielder. But we don't. So I'm gonna have to pass as well.