PDA

View Full Version : Deep thoughts: why do the White Sox wear black socks?

cheeses_h_rice
07-28-2005, 10:20 PM
A friend of mine writes a column on geeky uniform questions, and was asked this question. I couldn't think of an answer.

Considering the symbolism of "black socks" in the team's history, it is a tad interesting, but considering that black & white is their color scheme now I'm not surprised. But with previous uniform incarnations, did the Sox always wear black?

Brian26
07-28-2005, 10:27 PM
The black soccer style socks look cool as hell. The white socks with the white home uni would look bad. Plus, I always view the black socks as a slap in the face of our tainted history. It's like saying, "yeah, we screwed up, but who cares. We're still going to wear black socks and don't give a crap what you think about it."

GregoryEtc
07-28-2005, 10:32 PM
well originally when these unis were introduced, the Sox DID wear white sox... with black stirrups... no everyone just wears black socks (except Brandon McCarthy, he wore stirrups).

paciorek1983
07-28-2005, 11:11 PM
The black soccer style socks look cool as hell. "

It may look cool, but it's wrong and stupid. I'd prefer we change the entire unifrom just so that we actually wear the color of the namesake. It's ridiculous otherwise. Or, they might as well just change the team name. Wearing black socks really pisses me off. If anything it should be black stirrups with white socks underneath.

SOXintheBURGH
07-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Ask Paul Konerko... he might know after being in that commercial.

batmanZoSo
07-29-2005, 12:13 AM
It may look cool, but it's wrong and stupid. I'd prefer we change the entire unifrom just so that we actually wear the color of the namesake. It's ridiculous otherwise. Or, they might as well just change the team name. Wearing black socks really pisses me off. If anything it should be black stirrups with white socks underneath.

Why do we have to change our uniform? White doesn't match white?

I've pictures of Joe Jackson wearing white socks with pinstripe pants and black shoes. It looked good.

doublem23
07-29-2005, 01:19 AM
Black socks look better than white socks, especially with white pants.

Palehose13
07-29-2005, 02:41 AM
When I was growing up in the 80's the trend was white socks with stir ups(Remember Ozzie with the red rim above his stir ups?). However, times have changed and basebll players now wear the "soccer style" socks. IMO, the black wit high pants look cool as hell and if the socks were white...it just wouldn't have the same effect.

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2005, 02:47 AM
When I was growing up in the 80's the trend was white socks with stir ups(Remember Ozzie with the red rim above his stir ups?). However, times have changed and basebll players now wear the "soccer style" socks. IMO, the black wit high pants look cool as hell and if the socks were white...it just wouldn't have the same effect.I don't know what you're trying to "stir up," but they're stirrups.

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2005, 03:12 AM
By the way, here is an example of a Sox uniform (this one happens to be 1920) with a pinstriped uniform with white stirrups over white socks. Nothing wrong with the way it looks.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1920_chicago.gif

They wore white stirrups all the way from the beginning through the 1945 season, and were still mostly white (with colored trim only at the top of the stirrups) until 1949.

TheOldRoman
07-29-2005, 03:44 AM
By the way, here is an example of a Sox uniform (this one happens to be 1920) with a pinstriped uniform with white stirrups over white socks. Nothing wrong with the way it looks.

I agree. Not only does it still look good, but it is something very distinctive. Whenever somone saw us on TV, they would immediately recognize which team it was. Other teams have black jersey, hell, multiple teams have red jerseys. However, NOBODY wears white socks. Socks or stirrups, something needs to change.

TornLabrum
07-29-2005, 07:47 AM

They wore white stirrups all the way from the beginning through the 1945 season, and were still mostly white (with colored trim only at the top of the stirrups) until 1949.

They also wore white stirrups (with blue sanitary socks) from 1968-71 and white soccer style stockings from 1976-82 (with various patterns of blue stripes).

Baby Fisk
07-29-2005, 08:36 AM
White socks for the White Sox is a no brainer. Black looks very cool, but it's damn stupid if the team is not called the Black Sox!

LVSoxFan
07-29-2005, 09:31 AM
http://www.digitalend.com/pics/thread.jpg

The White Sox have IMO the coolest uniforms in baseball and people here are complaining about their... socks. Right.

Because they're the "White Sox" and their socks are not... white.

Please White Sox, play a game already because we are obviously out of topics...

Goose
07-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Black socks look better than white socks, especially with white pants.

Black socks also look good with sandels.

Procol Harum
07-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Either way the socks go for the Sox, they should immediately outlaw the unsightly "style" which our own Frank Thomas did much to introduce--the baseball pants that come down to the top of the shoes. Absolutely awful. Any Sox player wearing his pants like that should be removed from the field, fined (here taking a page out of the NFL's uniform police book), and whipped with a day-old churro....

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2005, 09:45 AM
The White Sox have IMO the coolest uniforms in baseball and people here are complaining about their... socks. Right.

The White Sox wore white socks for nearly fifty years straight. Why this is such a radical proposal to some people is difficult to understand. White socks would look perfectly fine next to white pinstriped (home) or gray (away) pants.

I don't think it's necessary to change the undershirts to white (like the 1920 uniform Nellie posted earlier). The idea is to accentuate the white socks, not unlike Boston wearing dark blue undershirts with red socks. Well, duh...
:?:

There is something to be said for being unique and distinctive. Changing to white socks makes 1000-times more sense than these countless silly ideas for adding red trim to the current unis. <gag wretch>

nlentz88
07-29-2005, 09:49 AM
My vote is for white socks with black stirrups. Classic.

riverside marked as a troll again
07-29-2005, 10:02 AM
our team is kicking butt and this is what we r talking about?

iwcup
07-29-2005, 11:33 AM
While I agree that white socks should be worn by the white sox. I really dont care what they wear as long as they keep winning....

Classic styles are classic for a reason.... they endure the tests of time...

Palehose13
07-29-2005, 11:51 AM
I don't know what you're trying to "stir up," but they're stirrups.

Sorry, that was the vodka typing last night. :wink:

skottyj242
07-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Who has final approval on uniform changes?

mr_genius
07-29-2005, 12:36 PM
Why do we have to change our uniform? White doesn't match white?

I've pictures of Joe Jackson wearing white socks with pinstripe pants and black shoes. It looked good.

i agree... i kept thinking about the "black sox" we wear while we were playing the red sox (and thinking how much i hate the red sox).

i think white sox with the white pinstripe pants would look great

LVSoxFan
07-29-2005, 01:39 PM
That's a lotta white goin' on. You don't think that might look a little fruity?

mr_genius
07-29-2005, 02:00 PM
That's a lotta white goin' on. You don't think that might look a little fruity?

na, i don't think so

batmanZoSo
07-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Don't tell me about matching or this or that--this is baseball, not the office, white socks are not inappropriate. Sure, the black socks look good. But it would be so much cooler if we wore white socks. Or at least, if a player chooses to pull his cuffs up, he must do like Brandon McCarthy and show white under the stirrups. That might be a good compromise for those who are in love with the black look.

Really, it would only affect a few players on the team. In this day and age, you usually don't even see a player's socks. But it would be a nice thing to go back to.

TornLabrum
07-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Sorry, that was the vodka typing last night. :wink:

You mean teachers drink alcoholic beverages! I'm shocked!

DarkCloudDropo
07-29-2005, 03:35 PM

Are the Cardinals actually birds? The Orioles? The Blue Jays? Are the Padres all priests? Do the Tigers have fangs? Do the Indians wear feathers?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Are the Cardinals actually birds? The Orioles? The Blue Jays? Are the Padres all priests? Do the Tigers have fangs? Do the Indians wear feathers?

No, but the White Sox wear socks. Except the White Sox wear black socks, not white ones.

See the difference?
:kukoo:

LVSoxFan
07-29-2005, 03:38 PM
I think we should go the Bad News Bears route and have "Chico's Bail Bonds" on the back of the uniforms...

mr_genius
07-29-2005, 03:42 PM

the cardinal have a cardinal on their jerseys not a gold fish
the orioles have an oriole on their hats not a hummingbird
the padres ARE all priests
the indians have a cartoon native american on their hat
no one cares what the tigers do

bunnybrief
07-29-2005, 08:07 PM
http://www.digitalend.com/pics/thread.jpg

I agree - this one has been done to death....not by us, but by people who just don't get it!

Plus, white socks just make it look like a friggin ballet uniform.

:rolleyes:

Let's go back to the seventies and bring back tight pants while we're at it.

Chips
07-29-2005, 09:18 PM
The black socks look good.

DarkCloudDropo
07-29-2005, 10:06 PM
No, but the White Sox wear socks. Except the White Sox wear black socks, not white ones.

See the difference?

And the Sox wear a big white 'SOX' on their hats.
The color of the socks they wear is totally unimportant.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-30-2005, 08:10 AM
The black socks look good.

The white socks would look good. Furthermore they would make sense, too.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-30-2005, 08:12 AM
Plus, white socks just make it look like a friggin ballet uniform.

Black Sox just make us look like friggin indictees and coconspirators.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-30-2005, 08:13 AM

Uh, huh.... yes, sure... umm, hmm...

<steps away from the thread very very slowly>

:kukoo: :kukoo:

DarkCloudDropo
07-30-2005, 08:18 AM
Uh, huh.... yes, sure... umm, hmm...

<steps away from the thread very very slowly>

:kukoo: :kukoo:

Maybe if you use just a few more of these :kukoo: and a little more teal it'll prove how right you are about how horribly important it is for the team to wear white socks.
Or maybe you could let others actually have their opinions without trying to make them look foolish.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-30-2005, 08:19 AM
Maybe if you use just a few more of these :kukoo: and a little more teal it'll prove how right you are about how horribly important it is for the team to wear white socks.
Or maybe you could let others actually have their opinions without trying to make them look foolish.

Look, if you want to explain how "Sox" is not derived from "socks" I'll be happy to stop using these:

I'll switch to these:
:roflmao:

:cool:

MIgrenade
07-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Black Sox just make us look like friggin indictees and coconspirators.

How about this, why don't the White Sox do everything the Red Sox do and have Queer Eye come in and maybe they can fix the uniforms? Would that make you happy? The players can be all dolled up and look great in their nice socks. Boy, that would be great.

I can't believe that anyone cares about this. I always found it mildly ironic but certainly nothing I cared about, and nothing has changed.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-30-2005, 08:30 AM
How about this, why don't the White Sox do everything the Red Sox do and have Queer Eye come in and maybe they can fix the uniforms? Would that make you happy? The players can be all dolled up and look great in their nice socks. Boy, that would be great.

I can't believe that anyone cares about this. I always found it mildly ironic but certainly nothing I cared about, and nothing has changed.

Sarcasm isn't your strong suit it, is it?

Here's a suggestion. If you don't like the topic of a particular thread, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and don't post in it. You risk plenty otherwise.

Are we understanding each other?

paciorek1983
07-30-2005, 08:57 AM

It is important. Otherwise change the name of the team. Anyone whoe dosen't understand this concept has to be out of their mind.

TornLabrum
07-30-2005, 11:30 AM

I question the judgment of anyone who calls him/herself "Dropofan." My aunt still remembers my getting disgusted with Dropo strikeouts in clutch situations.

DarkCloudDropo
07-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Word of advice- You might want to just drop this one and let it go. There's nothing to gain by continuing this.

I think you're right. I just felt continually egged on there but I should have let it go, which I will do right now.

Brian26
07-30-2005, 04:44 PM
I think you're right. I just felt continually egged on there but I should have let it go, which I will do right now.

:thumbsup:

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2005, 12:48 AM
I guess an eventually move back to white socks and black stirrups might happen. The color of the sanitary socks is irrelevant. Black stirrups is the same thing as black socks. Back in the day, they wore stirrups over white sanitary socks because they couldn't wear colored socks due to the risk of blood poisoning from the dye getting into sores from blisters etc. The stirrups were the representation of the color, the sanitary socks were supposed to be nearly invisible, with the stirrups being cut right to the top of the shoes.

The White Sox should wear white socks. Is it a huge deal? No. Neither was the green seat/blue seat controversy, but the park looks better with the green.

There's no reason they couldn't wear the current uniform with a black undershirt and white stirrups. They could even have a black stripe or two around the top of the white stirrups and still be wearing white socks.