PDA

View Full Version : Who is expendable, needs to go, or has to stay?

SOXfnNlansing
07-28-2005, 09:21 PM
I was just thinking that we all say who needs to go and we need to trade for this and that, but I went through the 40 man roster and only came up with 17 players that definately need to stay. These are the guys that define our team and are the reason we are the best team in baseball. I then looked at players that I think are expendable (12) and two players need to go! Here is my list:
Players that need to stay:
Cotts
FG
JG
Jenks
Politte
3 Crede
2 Iguchi
Ozuna
SS Uribe
RF Dye
DH Everett
LF Pods
CF Rowand
Timo
C AJ
Widger
MB

Players that need to go: Viz and Willie

Players that are expendable: Contreras, Hermie, El Duque, Marte, BMac,Gload,PK,Borchard,Walker,Munoz,Diaz,and Atkins.
I think from that group of 14 we can put together something to improve the team. Even if we do nothing I still think that we are doing great, but I think the important thing to think about is who we think are the "must keep" players. The one's that I posted imo need to stay to win it all (yes even Crede).

Chips
07-28-2005, 09:28 PM
Timo can go. I'd like to see us keep Contreas and El Duque.

Tragg
07-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Why is everyone down on Hermanson? He's been terrific for us. If he's hurt, then we need some help, but no other team wants him anyway if he's hurt. This is his career year - trade him after the season.

I don't care what that "unnamed GM" says about not wanting him for October because you need a power closer. Tell that to the Bosox. That was probably Tampa Bay or toronto's GM anwyay.

Sure, if we can make an improvement. But for every one time I read Wagner, I read Mesa or BAez 2 times - and neither of those could hold Hermanson's jock strap (or Pollite's or Marte's or Cotts').

The only players we couldn't conceive of trading would be Pods, MB, Garcia and Garland. Anyone else I could concieve of sending away, given a terrific deal.
And I'm hesitant about trading our only pitching prospect, McCarthy, as well.

Chisox003
07-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Hermanson....expendable? :?:

Dont think so

Chips
07-28-2005, 09:36 PM
Ozuna is expendable.

Hermanson is not.

SOXfnNlansing
07-28-2005, 09:41 PM
I think from that group of 14 we can put together something to improve the team. Even if we do nothing I still think that we are doing great, but I think the important thing to think about is who we think are the "must keep" players. The one's that I posted imo need to stay to win it all (yes even Crede).
I'm not looking for "we need to save Hermie and dump so and so.. I'm just wondering who other Sox fans think HAS to stay on the team. I came up with 17 players. Those are untouchable imo.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Harris without question is the first off the island.

Ozuna can be replaced, Gload can be replaced, Viz can be replaced, Jenks can be replaced, and depending on who could be available by Sunday, Widger could be replaced. Contreras could be traded.

Lip

delben91
07-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Harris without question is the first off the island.

Ozuna can be replaced, Gload can be replaced, Viz can be replaced, Jenks can be replaced, and depending on who could be available by Sunday, Widger could be replaced. Contreras could be traded.

Lip

I'd agree with all of those. Though I think Widger is the least likely to be replaced myself.

Harris has exhausted all his lifelines as far as I'm concerned.

As for the rest, none of us are KW, so just wait and see who's still standing Monday morning.

bafiarocks03
07-28-2005, 10:56 PM
OK why do we need another thread like this! Everyone is going to say that Willie needs to go, and we're going to start all over again! Cuz Willie stays!:D:

SomebodyToldMe
07-28-2005, 10:59 PM
OK why do we need another thread like this! Everyone is going to say that Willie needs to go, and we're going to start all over again! Cuz Willie stays!:D:

The only thing that's saving Willie's behind is...

Umm...

Uhhhh...

http://www.80s.com/saveferris/images/class/teacher1.jpg
"Bueller......Bueller...."

Jjav829
07-28-2005, 11:10 PM
How can you possibly say Ozuna and Timo are untouchable? :?:

And on top of that, you say Hermanson, Marte and Konerko are expendable? :?: :?:

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think those players are untouchable. My belief is that there is no such thing as an untouchable player. Every player is touchable for the right price. But players like Ozuna are a dime a dozen. He's a 30-year-old, light-hitting, career backup utility infielder...but yet he's untouchable? We could waive Ozuna and he probably wouldn't draw interest as a major leaguer from more than 4 or 5 teams. And Timo is untouchable? It makes it worse when you say that three valuable contributors to the team are expendable while calling these two scrubs untouchable. Hell, even Gload and El Duque are more "untouchable" than Timo and Ozuna.

SOXfnNlansing
07-28-2005, 11:10 PM
OK why do we need another thread like this! Everyone is going to say that Willie needs to go, and we're going to start all over again! Cuz Willie stays!:D: I want to know who you all think need to stay! Who are the 2005 WS and define our team! We all know the usual suspects that need to go, but there have to be other fans that can look at the team and see there is a big 'core' of guys that need to stay........ to solidify our team.

SOXfnNlansing
07-28-2005, 11:14 PM

And on top of that, you say Hermanson, Marte and Konerko are expendable? :?: :?:

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think those players are untouchable. My belief is that there is no such thing as an untouchable player. Every player is touchable for the right price. But players like Ozuna are a dime a dozen. He's a 30-year-old, light-hitting, career backup utility infielder...but yet he's untouchable? We could waive Ozuna and he probably wouldn't draw interest as a major leaguer from more than 4 or 5 teams. And Timo is untouchable? It makes it worse when you say that three valuable contributors to the team are expendable while calling these two scrubs untouchable. Hell, even Gload and El Duque are more "untouchable" than Timo and Ozuna. I'm saying that I found 17 players on the team that define the 2005 season for me. The others are great also.......... but of the non 17 players, imo , if KW can make the team better by moving them then so be it; if not, then we still are the best team in baseball.... I was just wondering for instance, jjav, who do you think of when you think of this magical season? Who HAS to stay iyo?

captain54
07-28-2005, 11:21 PM
These are the guys that define our team and are the reason we are the best team in baseball.
Just to clarify (without getting flamed), do you really think we are the best team in baseball right now???

I would say up until this point, the Sox have the best record in baseball....but, going as far back as the Cubs series at US Cell, the Sox have not played like the best team in baseball....it's part of what baseball is, the season goes on for 6 months, there are ups and downs....I personally could give a crap whether the Sox are or aren't the best team in baseball...nothing means anything until Oct 1...as long as you get to the playoffs...St Louis blew everybody away last year and look what happened to them against Boston in the WS...

If the Sox win 100+ games this year is really irrelevant come October 1st..the same guys that got them those 100+ wins may not necessarily be the same guys that can win playoff games....

At least I feel confident enough in our managerial staff (Ozzie,KW) that they have this figured out....they know Minnesota is not the same Minnesota this year...they know we are probably going to the playoffs, and I believe they are tooling the team for that purpose...

SOXfnNlansing
07-28-2005, 11:25 PM
I believe in Ozzie and KW........... and those 17 guys on the team to make it to the promised land:gulp:

Jjav829
07-28-2005, 11:28 PM
I'm saying that I found 17 players on the team that define the 2005 season for me. The others are great also.......... but of the non 17 players, imo , if KW can make the team better by moving them then so be it; if not, then we still are the best team in baseball.... I was just wondering for instance, jjav, who do you think of when you think of this magical season? Who HAS to stay iyo?

No one HAS to stay. I'm in favor of moving anyone if I think the trade will improve the Sox chances of winning the World Series. To use an extremely off-the-wall hypothetical, let's say the Astros decided they weren't sure they could win this year. They decide they want to move Clemens and still be able to compeat this year and in the future. So they come to the Sox and offer Roger Clemens for Mark Buehrle. Despite the fact that I want Buehrle to remain a member of this team for the next 10 years, I'd consider it. I'm not saying I would necessarily do the trade, though there's little doubt that Clemens would improve the Sox chances to win the World Series this year.

Again, I'm just using that as a hypothetical to explain that I don't think anyone is untouchable as long as the returning player(s) would increase the Sox chances of winning the World Series. I'm not at all saying the Sox should/would/could trade Buehrle. I'm simply using Buehrle as an example since he's probably the closest thing to being "untouchable" on this team.

SOXfnNlansing
07-29-2005, 12:18 AM
I don't want to sell my soul to win the WS. I should start this over by asking fans here, who do you think are the players that make up the soul of the team? I've followed every pitch of the season and I see a group of players that 'define' the team for me. Who do you see as a group that you want to help take us to the promised land?

slobes
07-29-2005, 12:37 AM
I'd hafta say that in my opinion, Timo, Widger, and Ozuna would classify as "expendable"

SOXintheBURGH
07-29-2005, 12:53 AM
I'd hafta say that in my opinion, Timo, Widger, and Ozuna would classify as "expendable"

I'd have to say Ozuna and Timo are "dead weight."

Optipessimism
07-29-2005, 01:38 AM
I'd have to say Ozuna and Timo are "dead weight."

Huh? Ozuna dead weight?

Who fills in at 3B and SS then? Willie Harris? Jermaine Dye?

You NEED to have backups. Ozuna is the only guy we have right now that can cover the left side of the infield. Just because he's not a gold glover doesn't mean he's dead weight.

MsSoxVixen22
07-29-2005, 10:11 AM
I don't want to sell my soul to win the WS. I should start this over by asking fans here, who do you think are the players that make up the soul of the team? I've followed every pitch of the season and I see a group of players that 'define' the team for me. Who do you see as a group that you want to help take us to the promised land?

I would have to say Garland, Hermy hopefully he back holds out, Pods and Iguichi they're a team in it self-Pods gets on and Iguichi sacrifices himself to get him over or steal, Rowand and his short swing he's found again and his great plays in center and Dye a.k.a Spider-man and Crede. Those are my pics IMHO.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2005, 10:53 AM
I'd have to say Ozuna and Timo are "dead weight."Perhaps you're not familiar with the concept of "bench player". Of course they're not very good. If they were any good, they wouldn't be bench players. They'd be starting somewhere. You don't have Ichiro Suzuki's and Miguel Tejada's on your bench. Other teams don't, either.

Harry Chappas
07-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Perez, Harris, and Viz...GONE!

fquaye149
07-29-2005, 11:39 AM

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think those players are untouchable. My belief is that there is no such thing as an untouchable player. Every player is touchable for the right price. But players like Ozuna are a dime a dozen. He's a 30-year-old, light-hitting, career backup utility infielder...but yet he's untouchable? We could waive Ozuna and he probably wouldn't draw interest as a major leaguer from more than 4 or 5 teams. And Timo is untouchable? It makes it worse when you say that three valuable contributors to the team are expendable while calling these two scrubs untouchable. Hell, even Gload and El Duque are more "untouchable" than Timo and Ozuna.

I'm with you...for the most part. I'd say there's probably about 5 players who ARE untouchable (this season)

For instance:

Aj is untouchable. You do not trade the starting catcher on the best team in baseball unless there is a very good reason (horrible production, chemistry issues). These reasons do not apply to AJ therefore he will stay almost 100%(probably 100%) Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of catchers that are statistical and defensive improvements over AJ. However, you don't make a pitcher start over building a rapport with a catcher in AUGUST. Which is why barring extenuating circumstances, you don't replace your catcher.

Buehrle and Garland are untouchable. The best team in baseball, one built on pitching will not trade its two best starting pitchers, the two best pitchers in the league, ones who there are maybe three pitchers who could be seen as improvements over. The reason for this is that in order to trade your best pitcher you are either

a.) mortgaging the present for the future (something we are not doing this year)
b.) shifting your focus to offense, specifically power (something we are not doing this year)
c.) improving pitching by swapping pitching for pitching (something we would not do because there are few improvements, none of whom are on teams that are out of it)

I would probably say that Garcia is untouchable...but not to the extent of those two.

Scotty is untouchable. A first place team that is built around speed at the top of their order does not trade the major league leader in steals, especially if he is hitting .300 and getting OB 37% of the time.

Iguchi is untouchable. There are very few improvements at second base offensively, and the ones that are are for the most part downgrades defensively. Beyond that if you're going to break up one of the best dp combos in baseball, you don't do it from the stronger offensive side.

I don't know. This is clearly just my opinion...but I'm pretty sure my logic is sound on this. Do NOT look for these men to be traded this year. It ain't gonna happen EVER imo. I doubt Kenny Williams would even HEAR offers for them.