PDA

View Full Version : Rockies Send Chacon to Yankees for 2 Minor League Pitchers

DaleJRFan
07-28-2005, 10:02 PM
The Colorado Rockies sent right-handed pitcher Shawn Chacon to the New York Yankees on Thursday night for a pair of Minor League pitchers.
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050728&content_id=1148669&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Searched for this and didn't find it, so here's a thread.

Banix12
07-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Yankees continue to stockpile every average or troubled pitcher on the market acquiring the Rockies Shawn Chacon for two minor leaguers. he has been 1-7 this season with an ERA of 4.09.

He's got talent as he was an all star two years ago but it will be interesting to see if the Yankees can get him going now that he is out of Coors.

CNNSI story (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/07/28/bc.bbo.rockies.yankeest.ap/index.html)

Kogs35
07-28-2005, 10:14 PM
hell choke at the stadium like most newbies

Chips
07-28-2005, 10:17 PM
They seem a little desperate now. Nomo, Chacon, whos next?

dickallen15
07-28-2005, 10:21 PM

The White Sox had a lot of interest in this guy during the off season. Many scouts have predicted greatness for him. It will be interesting to see how he does. He gets out of Coors, but into the biggest pressure cooker in baseball.

OzzieBall2005
07-28-2005, 10:41 PM

..........Mike Jackson

SOXintheBURGH
07-28-2005, 11:41 PM
..........Mike Jackson

:bundy

Wow, brilliant teal usage from a rookie! Welcome aboard! :gulp:

Letmehearya
07-29-2005, 12:31 AM
..........Jose Paniagua

VeeckAsInWreck
07-29-2005, 12:40 PM
:jaime
"The Yankees called me and begged me to join their team, but I've got to give a two weeks notice to Jiffy Lube"

fquaye149
07-29-2005, 12:44 PM

Jeff Brantley, start stretching out your arm.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2005, 02:02 PM
They seem a little desperate now. Nomo, Chacon, whos next?Word is that they're interested in Randy Winn and are offering Carl Pavano.

Is it me or is there a kind of randomness to the moves the Yankees have been making? I don't see any evidence of any kind of plan.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Word is that they're interested in Randy Winn and are offering Carl Pavano.

Is it me or is there a kind of randomness to the moves the Yankees have been making? I don't see any evidence of any kind of plan.
That's pretty much the plan. Every year, it seems like the Yankees just sign and trade for pitchers without any thought. When the pitcher fails, they just ship him out with cash to another team. I can't believe they're already trying to get rid of Pavano, but we've seen the same thing in the past with Jeff Weaver, Jose Contreras, and Javier Vazquez. It must be nice to be able to wrecklessly sign multiple players in the offseason and then dump them during the middle of the next season.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2005, 03:32 PM
That's pretty much the plan. Every year, it seems like the Yankees just sign and trade for pitchers without any thought. When the pitcher fails, they just ship him out with cash to another team. I can't believe they're already trying to get rid of Pavano, but we've seen the same thing in the past with Jeff Weaver, Jose Contreras, and Javier Vazquez. It must be nice to be able to wrecklessly sign multiple players in the offseason and then dump them during the middle of the next season.They used to have a plan. The dominant Yankees teams of the late '90s were well put-together, balanced teams. But following their loss to the D-backs in the WS, they embarked on a sign-everybody-who-might-be-any-good-and-damn-the-cost strategy. And they've gotten worse every year.

MHOUSE
07-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Chacon has a lot of talent and doesn't seem to me to be one to totally fold under pressure in NY. He's got good stuff, but his K/BB ratio is absurd! Over his career it's like 350:285 or something like that. If he can harness his control then he could turn into something. The Yanks are lucky Aaron Small has looked good so far. May and Redding flopped and Leiter has been barely serviceable. If Nomo ever suits up for the Yankees then it's over.

Johnson
Leiter
Small
Mussina
Chacon

Who would've thought that is how it would look at midseason?

chaerulez
07-29-2005, 08:58 PM
This is like Larry Brown going to the Knicks, not going to change a thing for either New York team.

MRKARNO
07-29-2005, 11:40 PM
Personally, I think it's a great trade for the Yankees. They gave up next to nothing for a guy who is leaving Coors to go to Yankee Stadium. He won't improve immensely, because the Yankees' defense is too poor for that to happen, but if he can be just average, he will help that team so much compared to the Hideous Nomos, Tim Reddings and Aaron Smalls of the world. They have no problem scoring runs, but if he can come in and post a 4.5 ERA, that would be a huge improvement. If under 4 at all then he is a savoir; just ask Chien-Ming Wang.