PDA

View Full Version : Brian Anderson interview

Optipessimism
07-28-2005, 09:35 PM
I don't know if this has already been posted, but if it has feel free to move it.

Interview with Brian Anderson: (http://www.futuresox.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=164)

TO: Do you expect to be starting in Chicago next year?

BA: Personally, yeah, but right now there are three really good outfielders starting in Chicago. All will fall into place.

It seems like he says all the right things and has a lot of confidence in himself, comparing himself to Vernon Wells.

I don't know about starting next year, but I guess that all depends what KW decides to do with Rowand. Good read though.

MisterB
07-28-2005, 10:55 PM
TO: When Frank Thomas had his rehab in Charlotte, what was it like playing with a future hall-of-famer?

BA: He's a very down to earth guy. Frank was very friendly during Spring Training as well as in Charlotte. His nickname for me was "Hollywood".

:weewillie
"Son of a..."

:D:

Letmehearya
07-29-2005, 12:23 AM
He's a keeper. Sweeney - Young - Anderson could be the best young outfield in baseball within 3/4 years.

DaleJRFan
07-29-2005, 12:56 AM
He's a keeper. Sweeney - Young - Anderson could be the best young outfield in baseball within 3/4 years.

Deffinately, the Sox outfield prospects get me really excited...

Brian Anderson (AAA)
.298 15 HR 52 RBI

Jerry Owens (AA)
.323 1 HR 37 RBI

Ryan Sweeney (AA)
.288 0 HR 26 RBI

Chris Young (AA)
.261 18 HR 49 RBI

Optipessimism
07-29-2005, 01:45 AM

That is definately our strength, but the last thing I'd want to see is "The Kids Can Play Part II."

Soxheads
07-29-2005, 10:02 PM
If you like toolsy outfielders, we are trying to line up interviews with Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney. We just interviewed Kris Honel and that one will be up soon.

Hagan
08-02-2005, 12:49 PM
I am so excited about anderson and especially young being on our farm system. Chirs young appears to have good plate discipline, very good power, and can steal pretty well. Also from when I have read about him he seems to be a good center fielder. I think young is going to end up being the best out of the bunch.

Randar68
08-02-2005, 02:32 PM
I am so excited about anderson and especially young being on our farm system. Chirs young appears to have good plate discipline, very good power, and can steal pretty well. Also from when I have read about him he seems to be a good center fielder. I think young is going to end up being the best out of the bunch.

Young easily has the most upside of any prospect in the Sox system IMO.

Anderson and Sweeney are more of a sure-thing, but Young has legit super-star potential.

In case anyone hadn't noticed, Young came back this weekend from his pulled muscle, had been out since the All-Star game (Futures Game IIRC)

balke
08-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Its nice Young and Sweeney are doing so well, but just watching Anderson in limited time, he's going to be something special. He's a big guy that can play a great CF. He's also showing more power, and hitting for avg. Hopefully those K totals go down, or at least his BB's go up... but by the time he is ML ready, I think he could be the star of the Sox lineup.

Evman5
08-02-2005, 04:53 PM

I can pretty much guarentee you the one of the three will be traded within the next year. I think A-row and Pods are here for the long haul.

BigEdWalsh
08-02-2005, 05:11 PM
TO: Do you have any superstitions?

BA: No.
I like that. I would assume this also means he probably doesn't believe in curses. "Hollywood" Anderson should be a nice fit for the South Side.
:cheers:

Randar68
08-02-2005, 05:27 PM
I think A-row and Pods are here for the long haul.

I think you're right with regards to Pods, especially with the way he ignites the top of the lineup.

However, Rowand has been extremely average. Dye is only signed through 2006.

I reiterate my plan to move Dye to 1st and Anderson to CF with Rowand in RF. The year after that?

I don't think Kenny's as enamored with Aaron Rowand as some fans are/think...

CHIsoxNation
08-02-2005, 05:38 PM
It pretty cool to think that in the not so distant future we might have someone on our team with the nickname "Hollywood" and another with the last name Broadway. Sounds like a golden duo to me.

Evman5
08-02-2005, 05:41 PM
I think you're right with regards to Pods, especially with the way he ignites the top of the lineup.

However, Rowand has been extremely average. Dye is only signed through 2006.

I reiterate my plan to move Dye to 1st and Anderson to CF with Rowand in RF. The year after that?

I don't think Kenny's as enamored with Aaron Rowand as some fans are/think...

i agree that out of the two Rowand is more likely to go, but when I look at Rowand I think he fits that grinder mentality. He just seems like a player that fits easily on a winning team. I also love his swing.

Optipessimism
08-02-2005, 06:31 PM
i agree that out of the two Rowand is more likely to go, but when I look at Rowand I think he fits that grinder mentality. He just seems like a player that fits easily on a winning team. I also love his swing.

True, Rowand is a grinder, but some grinders are better than other grinders. It sounds like Anderson has a much higher ceiling than Rowand so I personally hope Aaron gets traded for pitching in the offseason. This would open up a spot for Anderson while keeping Dye in RF and Pods in LF.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that KW gets another ace SP over the offseason with a package that includes Rowand. I hope so anyway.

Mr. White Sox
08-02-2005, 06:37 PM
True, Rowand is a grinder, but some grinders are better than other grinders. It sounds like Anderson has a much higher ceiling than Rowand so I personally hope Aaron gets traded for pitching in the offseason. This would open up a spot for Anderson while keeping Dye in RF and Pods in LF.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that KW gets another ace SP over the offseason with a package that includes Rowand. I hope so anyway.

Do you think KW will use Rowand in a trade for a pitcher, or will he use him to trade for a 1B like Overbay?

Ol' No. 2
08-02-2005, 06:38 PM

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that KW gets another ace SP over the offseason with a package that includes Rowand. I hope so anyway.I don't know if I'd be so quick to count on Anderson. He'll be an untested rookie and that's a lot of pressure to put on him. Dye has one more year left on his contract. Bring in Anderson as a 4th OF and let him develop. With Ozzie as manager, he'll get plenty of playing time. Best case, he earns a starting role and Rowand or Dye become tradable mid-season.

SoxxoS
08-02-2005, 07:01 PM
These things have a way of falling into place...remember how "lost" our rotation was going to be with all those "studs" coming up...??? Jon Rauch, Aaron Myette etc. etc.? Let things play out. People get hurt, players get traded and players just could go into a major swoon. Nobody knows.

BigEdWalsh
08-02-2005, 07:07 PM
These things have a way of falling into place...remember how "lost" our rotation was going to be with all those "studs" coming up...??? Jon Rauch, Aaron Myette etc. etc.? Let things play out. People get hurt, players get traded and players just could go into a major swoon. Nobody knows.

Do you HAVE to be so logical?:unsure:

MIgrenade
08-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Do you think KW will use Rowand in a trade for a pitcher, or will he use him to trade for a 1B like Overbay?

I thought about this too, but it's doubtful it would be Overbay because the Brewers have Brady Clark in CF, Lee, and Jenkins. That's a pretty good outfield but Rowand is younger than they are, which may appeal to the Brewers. Clark is hitting .317 so he might get a good pitcher in return...who knows.

Optipessimism
08-02-2005, 07:21 PM
I don't know if I'd be so quick to count on Anderson. He'll be an untested rookie and that's a lot of pressure to put on him. Dye has one more year left on his contract. Bring in Anderson as a 4th OF and let him develop. With Ozzie as manager, he'll get plenty of playing time. Best case, he earns a starting role and Rowand or Dye become tradable mid-season.

Rowand has had some clutch hits but mainly it's his defense that makes him so valubale to this team. From what I've heard, Anderson is the better of the two in the field, so it would only be for that reason that I would think Anderson could make Rowand expendable.

Even without making any moves over the offseason, I still think the Sox have a very good chance at going to the World Series if they can get past whoever it is they meet in the ALDS. If the Sox go that far, I think Uncle Jerry gives KW a nice bump in payroll to work with. Add that to Konerko and Thomas coming off the books and I think KW can afford another bat and another top of the rotation starter, which together make Rowand expendable in favor of Anderson's defense.

Just my opinion though, but I have a feeeling that Anderson is going to be brought up at the end of this month to replace Adkins or in September when the rosters expand. When that happens, I expect him to get a lot of playing time in order to rest the starters for the postseason, and I think this period will be somewhat of an evaluation period for him. If he does well I think Rowand is gone, if not, then maybe he stays.

Optipessimism
08-02-2005, 07:31 PM

Just from what I've seen this year from the Brewers, I think they will try to dump Overbay and Geoff Jenkins for a ML ready 3B (Branyan sucks) and will make Bill Hall their super sub. Clark is their CF and would be a good No. 2 hitter IMO, but I think they are probably going to look for starting pitching. I can see them doing something where they swap contracts with Jenkins going to FLA and Lowell going to MIL. If they could do that I think an Overbay for Figgins trade with LAAA would be perfect for both teams, but I don't know if LAAA would be able to drop Erstad.

Randar68
08-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Dye has one more year left on his contract. Bring in Anderson as a 4th OF and let him develop.

How the heck does playing 2 times a week at most help someone "develop"?

:?:

Podzilla_40
08-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Just from what I've seen this year from the Brewers, I think they will try to dump Overbay and Geoff Jenkins for a ML ready 3B (Branyan sucks) and will make Bill Hall their super sub. Clark is their CF and would be a good No. 2 hitter IMO, but I think they are probably going to look for starting pitching. I can see them doing something where they swap contracts with Jenkins going to FLA and Lowell going to MIL. If they could do that I think an Overbay for Figgins trade with LAAA would be perfect for both teams, but I don't know if LAAA would be able to drop Erstad.

I think they really believe in Hall, he could develop into a really solid player. That being said, if Overbay goes on the block, the asking price will be steep with all the competition.

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2005, 10:04 AM
How the heck does playing 2 times a week at most help someone "develop"?

:?:That's still 50-60 games. And if he produces, he would play more. It takes time to adjust to major-league level competition, and I'd just as soon put him in a low-pressure situation rather than make him the everyday starter.

Knucksie
08-03-2005, 10:43 AM
That's still 50-60 games. And if he produces, he would play more. It takes time to adjust to major-league level competition, and I'd just as soon put him in a low-pressure situation rather than make him the everyday starter.

I don't want to start a fight here, but I am so tired of this whole "development on the major league level" theme. If players are ready, then they should play. If they aren't ready, then they should stay in the minors. That is considering what their role is. Not everyone can be a starter and play everyday. "IF" Anderson is projected to be a starter quality major league player, then he should play. If he's a bust, so be it.

I know a lot of this depends on the players emotional maturity, but why do we always have to protect guys on the ML level? IMHO, it hinders their development as often as it helps.

The fact is that we don't know which players are going to pan out in any way. I love it when Hawk says a player is "gonna be a good one!" Half tyhe guys he projects as good ones never do anything. Players go through the minor leagues and each of them has to prove himself again at the ml level. At the ML level, it's sink or swim time. I think Jeremy Bonderman is a good example. He wasn't coddled through his 20 loss season and now he is becomming one of the more dominate pitchers in the league. Players get better by playing, not sitting on the bench and the major leagues is no place to protect players in "low pressure" situations.

Randar68
08-03-2005, 11:11 AM
I don't want to start a fight here, but I am so tired of this whole "development on the major league level" theme. If players are ready, then they should play. If they aren't ready, then they should stay in the minors. That is considering what their role is. Not everyone can be a starter and play everyday. "IF" Anderson is projected to be a starter quality major league player, then he should play. If he's a bust, so be it.

I know a lot of this depends on the players emotional maturity, but why do we always have to protect guys on the ML level? IMHO, it hinders their development as often as it helps.

The fact is that we don't know which players are going to pan out in any way. I love it when Hawk says a player is "gonna be a good one!" Half tyhe guys he projects as good ones never do anything. Players go through the minor leagues and each of them has to prove himself again at the ml level. At the ML level, it's sink or swim time. I think Jeremy Bonderman is a good example. He wasn't coddled through his 20 loss season and now he is becomming one of the more dominate pitchers in the league. Players get better by playing, not sitting on the bench and the major leagues is no place to protect players in "low pressure" situations.
Well said...

You don't sit guys 4 games a week when they are new to the level and learning. They MUST see it every day. They're going to go 0-4 with 2-3k's every once in a while and you don't sit them for the next 2-3 games after they do.

It takes repetition and adjustment, and you don't get that in batting practice.

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Well said...

You don't sit guys 4 games a week when they are new to the level and learning. They MUST see it every day. They're going to go 0-4 with 2-3k's every once in a while and you don't sit them for the next 2-3 games after they do.

It takes repetition and adjustment, and you don't get that in batting practice.But every time a player is moved up a level, it's expected that his production will drop off for a while until he adjusts. That's as true going from A to AA as it is going from AAA to the bigs. But in the minors, you don't care if the team's W/L record suffers. The purpose is development. In the majors, you can't afford to lose games while a player goes through the inevitable adjustment period.

MisterB
08-03-2005, 11:42 AM
But every time a player is moved up a level, it's expected that his production will drop off for a while until he adjusts. That's as true going from A to AA as it is going from AAA to the bigs. But in the minors, you don't care if the team's W/L record suffers. The purpose is development. In the majors, you can't afford to lose games while a player goes through the inevitable adjustment period.

If your team loses games because you have one rookie in your lineup, you've got more serious problems. Eventually you have to make a commitment to giving the kid regular playing time - half-assing it just hurts the player and the organization in the long run.

maurice
08-03-2005, 01:00 PM
I'd be very pleased if Anderson could average numbers comparable to Rowand's 2004.
I'd be even more pleased if both Anderson and Rowand could accomplish that feat.
:gulp:

California Sox
08-03-2005, 05:48 PM
In the majors, you can't afford to lose games while a player goes through the inevitable adjustment period.

Sure you can. Not this year, but every once in a while you have to work in young players or you're going to end up in trouble. Now, the ideal situation is the way Atlanta works in young players: Give them playing time in the bottom of your order while you win the division every frickin' year.

doublem23
08-03-2005, 06:30 PM
I can pretty much guarentee you the one of the three will be traded within the next year. I think A-row and Pods are here for the long haul.

I really doubt this. As much as Kenny Williams as shown his love of trading away prospects, they've all been fairly mediocre, IMO (except future Hall of Famer Jeremy Reed). Plus, Aaron Rowand has been pretty average his whole career, Scott Podsednik is essentially useless once he starts to lose his speed, and Jermaine Dye is only signed until the end of next year, when he will be 32 years old. Not 100% sure about Sweeney, but I assume Brian Anderson will be starting Opening Day with the White Sox in 2006 at latest, barring any unforseen setbacks.

Daver
08-03-2005, 07:09 PM
I really doubt this. As much as Kenny Williams as shown his love of trading away prospects, they've all been fairly mediocre, IMO (except future Hall of Famer Jeremy Reed). Plus, Aaron Rowand has been pretty average his whole career, Scott Podsednik is essentially useless once he starts to lose his speed, and Jermaine Dye is only signed until the end of next year, when he will be 32 years old. Not 100% sure about Sweeney, but I assume Brian Anderson will be starting Opening Day with the White Sox in 2006 at latest, barring any unforseen setbacks.

Sweeney is not as close, he is a few years younger than Anderson and is still filling out. I can see a scenario where he can be playing first base for the Sox in 2007 though.

SoxxoS
08-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Sweeney is not as close, he is a few years younger than Anderson and is still filling out. I can see a scenario where he can be playing first base for the Sox in 2007 though.

Man playing first would be kind of a waste of that cannon right arm, don't you think daver? The 3-6-3 double play would be money, though. :D:

Daver
08-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Man playing first would be kind of a waste of that cannon right arm, don't you think daver? The 3-6-3 double play would be money, though. :D:

His arm is gonna be wasted in left too for the most part, I doubt he could handle right, and there is no way he takes center from Anderson.

Randar68
08-03-2005, 10:22 PM
His arm is gonna be wasted in left too for the most part, I doubt he could handle right, and there is no way he takes center from Anderson.

Why couldn't he handle right? I've seen him play CF a couple times and he can handle that. Is his arm as good as Dye? No. Better than Rowand? Probably a hair. Better than Anderson? Flip a coin...

Depends who is around, but with his size and LH'd ness, I have always been an adocate of him playing 1st base since he was drafted. IIRC, I mentioned it before he'd even signed with the Sox. However, I DO think he can handle RF. IMO, he may not hit enough to warrant that spot in the field though...

Daver
08-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Why couldn't he handle right? I've seen him play CF a couple times and he can handle that. Is his arm as good as Dye? No. Better than Rowand? Probably a hair. Better than Anderson? Flip a coin...

Depends who is around, but with his size and LH'd ness, I have always been an adocate of him playing 1st base since he was drafted. IIRC, I mentioned it before he'd even signed with the Sox. However, I DO think he can handle RF. IMO, he may not hit enough to warrant that spot in the field though...

You've seen him more than I have, my concern with him in right, and center, is his reads, he doesn't read the ball well off the bat from the limited tape I have seen. If my observation is wrong, so be it.

SoxxoS
08-04-2005, 12:16 AM
IMO, he may not hit enough to warrant that spot in the field though...

Wouldn't 1B be just as important for a "bat," though...???

Randar68
08-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Wouldn't 1B be just as important for a "bat," though...???

I don't think that's as true as it was 10 years ago.

Flight #24
08-04-2005, 10:45 AM
I really doubt this. As much as Kenny Williams as shown his love of trading away prospects, they've all been fairly mediocre, IMO (except future Hall of Famer Jeremy Reed).

Exactly. KW's methodology is to add quantity to trades instead of top-quality. So he'll add in a low-level prospect or 2 to get a guy. Personally, I like that strategy since the % of prospects who "make it" is fairly small, so you're not losing a ton if you trade an extra guy at a low level who's not one of your higher-rated guys anyway. If it gets you some assistance at the big league level, great move. But he rarely trades a true top-flight guy, with Reed and Wells being the only 2 examples I can think of. And even those 2 haven't exactly set the world on fire.

Anyone missing Anthony Webster, Josh Rupe, Royce Ring these days?

rdivaldi
08-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Anyone missing Anthony Webster, Josh Rupe, Royce Ring these days?

How dare you suggest that KW didn't "Trade away the farm system" over the past two years!

Flight #24
08-04-2005, 11:04 AM
How dare you suggest that KW didn't "Trade away the farm system" over the past two years!

I would never suggest such a thing....only that he didn't really trade anything of value. Which in and of itself is sad enough.

rdivaldi
08-04-2005, 11:09 AM
I would never suggest such a thing....only that he didn't really trade anything of value. Which in and of itself is sad enough.

Why is it sad? I would say that's good.

Chisoxfn
08-04-2005, 01:24 PM

I was going to say, Sweeney is a very good defensive outfielder. He's very fluid and has a very nice arm. Heck, I'd rate it right there with Brian Andersons.

Basically put, Sweeney is capable to handle either corner OF spot. He could play CF in a bind, but Aaron, Brian, Young, and Owens are all better options there.

Randar68
08-04-2005, 01:54 PM
I was going to say, Sweeney is a very good defensive outfielder. He's very fluid and has a very nice arm. Heck, I'd rate it right there with Brian Andersons.

Basically put, Sweeney is capable to handle either corner OF spot. He could play CF in a bind, but Aaron, Brian, Young, and Owens are all better options there.

Owens is a LF'er, IMO. I would put Young in LF if I had an arm like Anderson as an option in CF, but unless they keep Dye or Rowand in RF, Anderson may be better off moving to RF with Young in CF or Young/Anderson/Sweeney Left-to-right.

Ol' No. 2
08-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Sure you can. Not this year, but every once in a while you have to work in young players or you're going to end up in trouble. Now, the ideal situation is the way Atlanta works in young players: Give them playing time in the bottom of your order while you win the division every frickin' year.Or you can put him on the roster as a 4th OF and play him 2 or 3 days a week, which is what I originally suggested. Remember, even when he's not playing, he's learning from watching other major leaguers.

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Daver, would the possible "scenario" where you could see Sweeney at first base in 2007 perhaps evolve something like this (Konerko leaves after 2005)?

2006: LF Pods, CF Anderson, RF Rowand, 1B Dye (free agent after 2006)

2007: LF Pods, CF Anderson, RF Rowand, 1B Sweeney

Tragg
08-06-2005, 02:42 PM
This team needs some major OBP help to keep playing smart ball well (although I'm not convinced that the manager has it high on his list of priorities).

I'd like to see us trade Rowand for Overbay. Rowand's a better hitter than Clark, and the Brewers have a 1B phenom ready to go.

Give Dye some work at 1B in the spring, and let him play 1B and RF

Hopefully Anderson can play CF (although from what I've read, Young may be the best prospect of the 3).

Maybe trade Conteras and go with McCarthy

Let Konerko walk; get an additional budget increase from JR

Use the additional cash to:

Get a DH
Give the pitchers the raises
Bring in another reliever

2007: If Sweeney's ready, he can play RF or trade Overbay

nodiggity59
08-06-2005, 03:30 PM
This is OT but I've been thinking an awful lot about Overbay recently. Specifically, I'd like a 1-2-3 of Pods-Guch-Overbay. Mercy. I also agree with the an OF bring up Anderson sentiments. I think the Brew Crew would have to consider Rowand + a 10to15 prospect a nice deal for Overbay, especially since they like to maintain the facade of "contending".

Podzilla_40
08-06-2005, 03:51 PM
This is OT but I've been thinking an awful lot about Overbay recently. Specifically, I'd like a 1-2-3 of Pods-Guch-Overbay. Mercy. I also agree with the an OF bring up Anderson sentiments. I think the Brew Crew would have to consider Rowand + a 10to15 prospect a nice deal for Overbay, especially since they like to maintain the facade of "contending".
Who would bat clean up? That line up doesn't have much pop, and for all of Paulie's shortcomings he can hit some big HRs. I wouldn't mind keeping him for maybe 10 a year and alternating him and Overbay at 1b/DH.

RKMeibalane
08-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Deffinately, the Sox outfield prospects get me really excited...

Brian Anderson (AAA)
.298 15 HR 52 RBI

Jerry Owens (AA)
.323 1 HR 37 RBI

Ryan Sweeney (AA)
.288 0 HR 26 RBI

Chris Young (AA)
.261 18 HR 49 RBI

What's really scary is that Sweeny may turn out to be the best of all of them. He hasn't shown much power yet because his body hasn't filled out, but most scouts see him as a legitamite thirty-homer player once he does.

I really like the guys the Sox have at Double-A right now. It's nice to know that once the current core of players is finished, the Sox will have young players who can step in.

Optipessimism
08-06-2005, 09:00 PM
This team needs some major OBP help to keep playing smart ball well (although I'm not convinced that the manager has it high on his list of priorities).

Overbay would look great in a Sox uniform, but unless KW is willing to part with McCarthy and perhaps Cotts it's not going to happen. The Brewers want pitching and I could also see them wanting a 3B or SS, but probably will end up trading him for pitching. Lyle is going to have a ton of suitors, so we wouldn't be able to get him for next to nothing.

I'd like to see us trade Rowand for Overbay. Rowand's a better hitter than Clark, and the Brewers have a 1B phenom ready to go.

Where did you come up with that? Rowand and Clark are both two guys who were supposed to be 4th OF's but ended up surprising their respective clubs. Clark more patience than Aaron and can hit the ball to all fields. Rowand is not a better hitter at all, he just has a little more power (so what?).

Maybe trade Conteras and go with McCarthy

I'd rather trade El Duque if we were going to drop a SP and go with McCarthy. Both JC and OH have their problems, but at least Contreras can stay healthy.

Let Konerko walk; get an additional budget increase from JR

I'd be fine with that if we could get a power hitting corner OF or 1B plus another power hitting DH. I think that Frank, however, is going to be KW's first priority this offseason. He is either going to buy him out or give Frank a small window to negotiate an incentive based contract, but after the decision on Frank is made the dominos will start to fall.

Tragg
08-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Overbay would look great in a Sox uniform, but unless KW is willing to part with McCarthy and perhaps Cotts it's not going to happen. Where did you come up with that? Rowand and Clark are both two guys who were supposed to be 4th OF's but ended up surprising their respective clubs. Clark more patience than Aaron and can hit the ball to all fields. Rowand is not a better hitter at all, he just has a little more power (so what?).
Power is not "so what". It means a lot. This team would be lucky to be ahead of the Indians if we had no power. You do not score runs with a bunch of single hitters; you leave a lot of players on base and you have a few 1 run innings. You don't force power by having non power hitters swing for the fences; but you need it and natural power is a big bonus. Can you imagine Crede with 1 home run?

Overbay is a severely underpowered first baseman, at a position where if you don't have power, you are going to have to pay a premium to find it elsewhere. It's a gamble to accept under 20 HRs at first. Therefore, his market value is nowhere near what his OBP might suggest it should be and/or where it would be if, say, he played CF. I would only see Overbay as a stopgap until we can find someone else who can hit 30 HRs. Giving up McCarthy for him is ridiculous.

Clark is a 32 year old journeyman who is having a nice year. He has never hit 10 HRs in his career. He has put up decent OBP the last year.

Neither Overbay nor Clark has had a .900 OPS like Rowand had last year; we'll how Rowand ends up. Both Rowand and Overbay didn't get to the majors seriously until after they were 25 and they are about the same level of hitter.

The Sox are 4th in the AL in Runs scored, running away with the division, so there have to be at least SOME good players on this team. The player is not always better in the other uniform.

Soxheads
08-06-2005, 10:54 PM
I would like to know how some of you guys feel we are doing over at FutureSox. It's a totally volunteer effort that probably doesn't get the time it deserves, but I think the interviews are a nice touch.

Optipessimism
08-07-2005, 06:27 AM
Power is not "so what". It means a lot. This team would be lucky to be ahead of the Indians if we had no power. You do not score runs with a bunch of single hitters; you leave a lot of players on base and you have a few 1 run innings. You don't force power by having non power hitters swing for the fences; but you need it and natural power is a big bonus. Can you imagine Crede with 1 home run?

Overbay is a severely underpowered first baseman, at a position where if you don't have power, you are going to have to pay a premium to find it elsewhere. It's a gamble to accept under 20 HRs at first. Therefore, his market value is nowhere near what his OBP might suggest it should be and/or where it would be if, say, he played CF. I would only see Overbay as a stopgap until we can find someone else who can hit 30 HRs. Giving up McCarthy for him is ridiculous.

Clark is a 32 year old journeyman who is having a nice year. He has never hit 10 HRs in his career. He has put up decent OBP the last year.

Neither Overbay nor Clark has had a .900 OPS like Rowand had last year; we'll how Rowand ends up. Both Rowand and Overbay didn't get to the majors seriously until after they were 25 and they are about the same level of hitter.

The Sox are 4th in the AL in Runs scored, running away with the division, so there have to be at least SOME good players on this team. The player is not always better in the other uniform.

Look at the team you root for. Pods is a journeyman singles hitter who never did anything until he had a 'once in a lifetime career year' with the BrewCrew. And how are you so sure that Rowand didn't have a career year last year?

The numbers Rowand put up in 2004 are not the type of numbers that a leadoff or No. 2 hitter puts up. Usually, someone with stats like that you want towards the middle of the order for RBI opportunities, which is why he was moved down in the order this year. Brady Clark, IMO, would be better off as a No. 2 hitter, but either way he belongs at the top of the lineup. Rowand doesn't, so Rowand would need power while Clark wouldn't. What I'm trying to say here is that Rowand doesn't fill his spot in the lineup as well as Overbay or Clark do, and that really is all that's important. If you think power is the be-all-end-all, go fill a lineup full of Matt Stairs' and see how far that gets you.

IMO, the Brewers need to find a leadoff man and some more pitching. Overbay is cheap and effective so they aren't going to give him up for something they don't need in Rowand. If they did they wouldn't have anyone at the top of the lineup. Also, Lyle isn't a stopgap as you have said. He is starting to develop more of that power which you speak of, already equalling his career high in HR in early Aug this year. And it doesn't look likes he's a fluke either because he hit 53 doubles in 2004.

In the Cell, this is what I think Lyle does compared to PK:
-hits 30 HR's vs. PK's 40
-hits more 2B's (53 for Lyle in 2004 beats Paulie's 52 when you add his 2002 and 2004 seasons together, which were his best years overall production wise)
-hits for better average both at home and on the road
-surpasses PK's RBI total
-actually hits LHP (.250 vs. PK's .209)
-has a better OBP
-hits the ball to all fields, but usually RF, which can advance a runner

Besides all that, Overbay would give us a guy to stick in the 3rd hole of the order that I would be very happy with, and it would also give us a LH-RH-LH-RH top of the order which could help late in the ballgame by making a manager remove a troublesome starter for the often times overrated lefty-righty match up.

Now, keep in mind we are paying Paulie something like $8million this year and he is going to get a similar contract if not here then somewhere else. Overbay makes chickenfeed compared to that and he's a better player. Knowing that, how much do you think Overbay would command on the market? Aaron Rowand? I'd LMAO if Melvin made a trade like that, and then I'd sell off my Brewers season tickets.

Optipessimism
08-07-2005, 06:28 AM
I would like to know how some of you guys feel we are doing over at FutureSox. It's a totally volunteer effort that probably doesn't get the time it deserves, but I think the interviews are a nice touch.

I think they're grrrr-eat!
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:HUiRWSmRZv4J:www.code.uni-wuppertal.de/code_share/course_of_study/classes_past/02_02_event_design/castle_kelloggs/description_1.gif (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.code.uni-wuppertal.de/code_share/course_of_study/classes_past/02_02_event_design/castle_kelloggs/description_1.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.code.uni-wuppertal.de/en/course_of_study/classes_past/02_02_event_design/castle_kelloggs/&h=192&w=192&sz=20&tbnid=HUiRWSmRZv4J:&tbnh=98&tbnw=98&hl=en&start=8&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtony%2Bthe%2Btiger%26svnum%3D10%26hl% 3Den%26lr%3D)

Man, that was so lame.