PDA

View Full Version : Do we really need another shortstop?

brewcrew/chisox
07-28-2005, 06:11 PM
hmmmm

Don't know if I like this.

I guess he's entitled to his opinion, but you know what they say about opinions.

link (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3831980)

"3. White Sox acquire SS Julio Lugo from Devil Rays

Chicago's primary weakness this season, particularly considering the hitter-friendly nature of their home park, is the offense. More specifically, it's the lack of production from the shortstop position. Consider that the average AL shortstop this season is putting up a batting line of .274 AVG/.328 OBP/.410 SLG, while White Sox shortstops in 2005 have authored a cumulative batting line of .233 AVG/.267 OBP/.358 SLG.

That's quite a production deficit.

And that brings us to Julio Lugo. Lugo is an above-average defender and, with the bat, he's been the sixth-most productive shortstop in all of baseball this season. Additionally, he's been remarkably consistent at the plate over the last four seasons.

Lugo would be a significant upgrade over the status quo on the South Side, and he wouldn't require a hefty return package.

From the D-Rays' perspective, they get to part ways with an arbitration-eligible player, create room for top prospect B.J. Upton and add to their minor league depth in the process."

TheOldRoman
07-28-2005, 06:31 PM
To answer the title of this thread...

Yes, provided his name is Omar Vizquel. He is a huge upgrade offensively over Uribe, and his defense is just as good. He is a career 2 hole hitter, which would allow us to move Tadahito to another spot in the order. Iguchi has been incredible for us, but if he didn't have to take so many pitches, he would easily be hitting over .300. Vizquel can hit over .300 while taking good pitches. Iguchi could bat 3, 7, 8, or 9. Omar would also add another lefty(switch hitter) to help us against righthanded pitchers, against who we are horrible. It also makes Uribe the super-sub we desperately need, gives us more power and clutch hitting off the bench, gives us a backup incase Crede's back gives out, and most importantly, sends Willie Harris to Charlotte.

Lugo is a good hitter, but from what I hear, can be a butcher with the glove. Uribe's defense is too big a part of this team to give up. We would only sit him if we made a move that would be a substantial offensive upgrade while not downgrading defensively.

Mr. White Sox
07-28-2005, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't say SS is a primary need, but Lugo could fill the SS or Utility role very, very nicely. He is average at best defensively, but has great speed and a good bat. He is also a good #2 hitter, and could move Iguchi to the #9 spot to utilize his power. This would be a solid pickup, but I'd put guys like Aubrey Huff or a lefty reliever (assuming marte gets traded) over getting Lugo.

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2005, 07:08 PM
Dayn Perry strikes again. This guy is like a compass that always points south. If he says it, it won't happen.

brewcrew/chisox
07-28-2005, 08:49 PM
Lugo is on my fantasy team, and he's been pretty solid offensively for me for most of the year. He already has 30 stolen bases, so I think he would do pretty darn well for us in that category. However, I figure that those stats might take a little of a nose dive if he were hitting in the 2 hole for us. He usually bats lead-off for the Rays, but has had experience batting #2. I too worry about the glove a bit; he has 17 errors already and is 3rd from the bottom in fielding rank for shortstops in the whole league. I don't want to mess with defense, as we all saw what happened with Boston and KC once the defense takes a dive. I saw enough of Jose Valentine to convince me of that thank you.

What is also interesting is that lots of people, including Perry here, just assume that the Yanks are going to get Griffey or someone equivalent. But, who the heck do the Yankee's have that's worth a plug nickle in the Minors? From what I understood, the only guy that had that was worth anything was Wang, and he's now on the DL. Would the Reds really give up Griffey just to get rid of his salary without asking for something in return? I really don't think so.

DaleJRFan
07-28-2005, 08:57 PM
This guy is like a compass that always points south.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Tragg
07-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Lugo has 2 problems: he can't catch and he can't throw. Other than those two areas, he's decent.

I do think we could use a middle infielder. Not as a hitter though, unless they can also field.

brewcrew/chisox
07-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Lugo has 2 problems: he can't catch and he can't throw. Other than those two areas, he's decent.

:kneeslap:

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln.....

Chips
07-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Definetly don't want a shortshop who can't field. Our pitching is solid enough to keep us in the game provided our defense holds up. When the defense falters, we lose games, case in point, yesterdays game against the Royals. If we can get a shortshop who can field and hit, then do it, but Uribe has a hell of glove, even though his bat is mediocre at best.

Palehose13
07-29-2005, 02:43 AM
No. Uribe is a STUD in the field.

Mohoney
07-29-2005, 05:19 AM
Would the Reds really give up Griffey just to get rid of his salary without asking for something in return? I really don't think so.

If the Yankees eat that WHOLE contract, you and I could be the principles of the return package and the Reds wouldn't mind.

skobabe8
07-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Uribe is wearing a little thin with me. I wouldnt mind a little more of a hit for avg. player at ss. Glad I'm not the GM cuz its a tough call.