PDA

View Full Version : Shingo accepts assignment to AAA

nodiggity59
07-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Unless I'm wrong, the SOX will have to make a decison on Shingo within the hour. To me, I really hope he goes to Charlotte.

bumptious96
07-28-2005, 01:22 PM
WSCR the Score reporting Shingo has accepted his assignment to AAA Charlotte

07-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Per Score...Wow, I can't believe nobody took a chance on him...Nomo got picked up!!

nodiggity59
07-28-2005, 01:23 PM
NICE! Believe me, we will live to savor this. Shingo WILL be on the playoff roster.

ilsox7
07-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Per Score...Wow, I can't believe nobody took a chance on him...Nomo got picked up!!

Wow. Just wow. I really thought at least the Cub would give him a shot.

cleanwsox
07-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Good news for us. Hopefully he can get some innings down there and get back on track. I'm sure we are going to have some AAA players a little confused by Shingo.

jshanahanjr
07-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Great news! Get him back up here for Vizsuckaino.

GoGoOzzie
07-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Here's a linky..http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050728&content_id=1148197&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Beauty35thStreet
07-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Is that true? That's awesome.

I seriously think Shingo can get back on track with more innings and time just to work on things. You don't dominate 16 years in one league, be rookie of the year runner up, and then just be bad. You can be bad if you lose your fastball or your pitches, but he has exactly the same stuff as he did last year. This is all in his head.

I'm excited. A fresh Shingo is going to be awesome come playoff time.

I only hope big Frank's ankle is going to heal a little, at least so he can finish the year with decency and so he can contribute to the title simply for his sake.

White Sox Randy
07-28-2005, 01:30 PM
If he can pitch like last year come October, it will be a big boost.

RKMeibalane
07-28-2005, 01:30 PM
It is now time for another merger.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Wow, talk about culture shock. Going from Japan to corn country, from star treatment to buses, all in a foreign land with no English skills............good luck Shingo. I hope he adjusts quickly because we may need the depth if we get injuries on the big league roster.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-28-2005, 01:34 PM
How many Shingo threads are going to start today???????????

07-28-2005, 01:38 PM
I'll take him over Vizcaino any day of the week and twice on Sunday

Beauty35thStreet
07-28-2005, 01:49 PM
:roflmao:
I'll take him over Vizcaino any day of the week and twice on Sunday

maurice
07-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Vizcaino >>> 2005 Takatsu and his near-6.00 ERA.

Chisox003
07-28-2005, 02:04 PM

Ya, no kidding....

What is it with you guys and not liking Vizcaino? Its getting a little ridiculous now

Viz is doing fine....I think some of you people need a break from WSI

:kukoo:

GoGoSoxReborn
07-28-2005, 02:05 PM

:roflmao:

Shingo - Japanese = Vizcaino

TaylorStSox
07-28-2005, 02:06 PM

Agreed. There's alot of man crushes for Shingo. At least Viz usually gets into trouble because he's showing strikes. Shingo hasn't even shown the heart to do that this year.

SoxFan78
07-28-2005, 02:10 PM

Yeah, Viz did really good in yesterday's game. 4 Singles, 1 K and the loss.

Those are great numbers!

TaylorStSox
07-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, Viz did really good in yesterday's game. 4 Singles, 1 K and the loss.

Those are great numbers!

What are Shingo's numbers this year?

It's real sad when teams won't take the guy off waivers. Hell! There are contenders that need help in the pen and they still won't even try him out.

maurice
07-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Before last night, Vizcaino had given up exactly 1 ER in his previous 14 appearances / 18.2 IP, lowering his previously inflated ERA to 3.86 (about the same as last season's 3.75 ERA). In fact, Vizcaino had pitched progressively better every month since sucking up the month of April:
May - 5.23 ERA
June - 2.25 ERA
July - 0.68 ERA
This, in a nutshell, is why Vizcaino remains on the team while Takatsu was DFAed in favor of Jenks.

Last night's loss might have something to do with the fact that the defense sucked and the offense failed to score in any of the last 7 innings, despite facing 2 pitchers with an ERA > 7. If the position players got the job done, the game would have ended much sooner.

Last night's performance by Vizcaino was Ozzie's fault, because he pulled Garland too early, bungled the bullpen, and forced Vizcaino to pitch on what was supposed to be his day off. Stop scapegoating a guy who got screwed by his manager . . . again. His 4 ERA is better than most MLB relievers and way, WAY better than Takatsu's 2005 performance.

Tadahito
07-28-2005, 02:20 PM

Yeah guys!
His 1.56 WHIP is stunning! His .285 BAA is misleading! Those 5.1 K/9 is skewed! His 1.27 K/BB ratio is Shingo's fault!

maurice
07-28-2005, 02:22 PM

Don't worry. This legion of newbie posters is not going to let the facts get in the way of irrational scapegoating. They probably believe that Bartman, Sosa, and Stone are responsible for the cubs recent collapses.

Garlandfan33
07-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Its amazing for all the posts leading up to this time how few posts there are for when we find out what happened with Shingo :kukoo: :nuts: .

TaylorStSox
07-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Its amazing for all the posts leading up to this time how few posts there are for when we find out what happened with Shingo :kukoo: :nuts: .

Yes. It's a amazing nobody cares about the back of the pen guy with a 6.00 ERA. It's truly stunning.

JUribe1989
07-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Vizcaino is a joke and I despise him. Shingo is wise in accepting this because he has a good chance of making it back to this team. It just shows how bad Viz is yesterday when from the 9th to the 14th everyone pitches well except for him. He creates an immediate jam and loses the game. I hope that soon enough it is Vizcaino to AAA and Shingo back up here with us.

A_ROW33
07-28-2005, 02:39 PM
Don't worry. This legion of newbie posters is not going to let the facts get in the way of irrational scapegoating. They probably believe that Bartman, Sosa, and Stone are responsible for the cubs recent collapses.

How can you say that they aren't, it's all Steve Stone and Bartman's fault!!!:angry:

And anyway aren't we the ones that think that stats don't tell the whole story? Vizcaino has lost two games in the past week, that constitutes sucking to me.
That being said Shingo is where he should be in AAA, He hasn't gotten the job done this year either, however Shingo's problem seems like it could be fixed and he can come back and help this team out once he figures out his control problems.

TaylorStSox
07-28-2005, 02:40 PM
Vizcaino is a joke and I despise him. Shingo is wise in accepting this because he has a good chance of making it back to this team. It just shows how bad Viz is yesterday when from the 9th to the 14th everyone pitches well except for him. He creates an immediate jam and loses the game. I hope that soon enough it is Vizcaino to AAA and Shingo back up here with us.

Wise? It's either AAA or his couch. He had no choice. The chances of Viz going to the minors for Shingo are about 0.0013432%. Thank god you guys don't make the decisions.

dickallen15
07-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Before last night, Vizcaino had given up exactly 1 ER in his previous 14 appearances / 18.2 IP, lowering his previously inflated ERA to 3.86 (about the same as last season's 3.75 ERA). In fact, Vizcaino had pitched progressively better every month since sucking up the month of April:
May - 5.23 ERA
June - 2.25 ERA
July - 0.68 ERA
This, in a nutshell, is why Vizcaino remains on the team while Takatsu was DFAed in favor of Jenks.

Last night's loss might have something to do with the fact that the defense sucked and the offense failed to score in any of the last 7 innings, despite facing 2 pitchers with an ERA > 7. If the position players got the job done, the game would have ended much sooner.

Last night's performance by Vizcaino was Ozzie's fault, because he pulled Garland too early, bungled the bullpen, and forced Vizcaino to pitch on what was supposed to be his day off. Stop scapegoating a guy who got screwed by his manager . . . again. His 4 ERA is better than most MLB relievers and way, WAY better than Takatsu's 2005 performance.
Vizcaino has also been the bullpen's sacraficial lamb on a couple more occations, once resulting in 6 ER. If he wasn't the one asked to suck it up in these appearances his ERA would be in the low 2's. He's everybody's whipping boy, and its a shame. He's pitched much better than most people realize.

santo=dorf
07-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Yeah guys!
His 1.56 WHIP is stunning! His .285 BAA is misleading! Those 5.1 K/9 is skewed! His 1.27 K/BB ratio is Shingo's fault!

Shingo's WHIP is 1.60, an opponents have a .586 SLG% against him (compared to Luis' .428%). Shingo has been getting hit much harder than Viz this year.

Are the Shingo ass kissers forgetting his pathetic performance against the Indians back in April (3 HR in the ninth which resulted in Viz being overworked after pitching two scoreless innings) on purpose? :rolleyes:

TaylorStSox
07-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Shingo's WHIP is 1.60, an opponents have a .586 SLG% against him (compared to Luis' .428%). Shingo has been getting hit much harder than Viz this year.

Are the Shingo ass kissers forgetting his pathetic performance against the Indians back in April (3 HR in the ninth which resulted in Viz being overworked after pitching two scoreless innings) on purpose? :rolleyes:

You can't let facts get in the way of man crushes.

santo=dorf
07-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Vizcaino has also been the bullpen's sacraficial lamb on a couple more occations, once resulting in 6 ER. If he wasn't the one asked to suck it up in these appearances his ERA would be in the low 2's. He's everybody's whipping boy, and its a shame. He's pitched much better than most people realize.

But it's not like any of those situations were Shingo's fault!

4-7-05

TaylorStSox
07-28-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm actually surprised they didn't send him to Birmingham. They need alot of help in the back of the pen. He'd probably do much better in that park. He's going to get lit up in Charlotte.

GoGoSoxReborn
07-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Our bullpen has been so stellar that both these guys look like complete jokes next to Hermy, Cliff, and Neal. The fact of the matter is these two could probably setup and close in the Cubs bullpen, or some other bullsh...pen.

I can't believe no one took a chance on Shingo, hopefully he will come back around and will be back up helping the team before the season is done.

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2005, 03:11 PM
May - 5.23 ERA
June - 2.25 ERA
July - 0.68 ERA

Last night's performance by Vizcaino was Ozzie's fault, because he pulled Garland too early, bungled the bullpen, and forced Vizcaino to pitch on what was supposed to be his day off. Stop scapegoating a guy who got screwed by his manager . . . again. His 4 ERA is better than most MLB relievers and way, WAY better than Takatsu's 2005 performance.ERA is often not a good indicator for relievers. His WHIP has been pretty consistent at about 1.5. Not that Takatsu's been better, but that's not the point. Vizcaino is NOT getting better.

santo=dorf
07-28-2005, 03:31 PM
ERA is often not a good indicator for relievers. His WHIP has been pretty consistent at about 1.5. Not that Takatsu's been better, but that's not the point. Vizcaino is NOT getting better.
His WHIP has been decreasing on a monthly basis.

April: 1.73
May: 1.65
June: 1.58
July: 1.32

It's not good, but that July WHIP is respectable.

maurice
07-28-2005, 03:49 PM
His WHIP has been decreasing on a monthly basis.

. . . providing further proof that he's pitched better lately. Nobody's saying that Vizcaino is Billy Wagner. The point is that he's a 4.something ERA reliever, which definitely has value to almost any MLB team, including ours. Heck, as well as Hermy and Politte have pitched this year, they also have career ERAs in the 4s and pitched worse than Vizcaino as recently as last season.

OTOH, Takatsu (who turns 37 this year) probably is done, unless he suddenly regains his control and flat-out dominates at Charlotte over the next 2 months. Right now, no MLB team wants him. Get over it, folks.

shoota
07-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Our bullpen has been so stellar that both these guys look like complete jokes next to Hermy, Cliff, and Neal.

Right. If a reliever isn't lights out, I don't want him pitching for us in the playoffs. I don't trust either one of Shingo and Vizcaino. Marte can grab some Charlotte bench too.

Shingo has been replaced with Bobby Jenks.
Vizcaino can be replaced with any right-handed, lights-out reliever.
Marte can be replaced with Billy Wagner.

DaleJRFan
07-28-2005, 04:06 PM

It was April 7th, I was there. Casey Blake's 465 foot dinger went sailing over my head a mere minute after I told my girlfriend about how great Shingo was....

And the madness needs to stop!! :redneck I am very happy Shingo accepted the assignment simply because I feel bad for the guy, but Vizcaino is a much better pitcher. He has been put into some ****ty situations, mop-up, etc where his ERA has been consequently bloated.

nedlug
07-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Right. If a reliever isn't lights out, I don't want him pitching for us in the playoffs. I don't trust either one of Shingo and Vizcaino. Marte can grab some Charlotte bench too.

Shingo has been replaced with Bobby Jenks.
Vizcaino can be replaced with any right-handed, lights-out reliever.
Marte can be replaced with Billy Wagner.

That would be the most dominant 'pen in major league history.

We would have added to 3 'lights-out' guys we already have (how many other teams have this??) wagner and another righty. That makes 5 'lights-out' bullpen guys... do you honestly think this will ever happen?

I am completely satisfied with our bullpen right now. However, that doesn't mean I'll refuse another 'lights-out' guy...

Beauty35thStreet
07-28-2005, 04:37 PM
:roflmao: I love it when people compare worse and bad, what difference does it make, they both have done bad, numbers don't mean much. ERAs get screwed if you lose a game and get two outs before hand or no outs before hand.

It's real sad when teams won't take the guy off waivers. Hell! There are contenders that need help in the pen and they still won't even try him out.

Shingo was never put on waivers, that's why.

I love all the Viz people getting all whiny with the Shingo people. This is good stuff

ChiSoxRowand
07-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Did Shingo have to clear waivers?

Beauty35thStreet
07-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Shingo was never put on waivers. The whole Deferred for Assignment could have put him on waivers, but he was never put on it. Instead, from my understanding they shopped him around. From what I read in the trib(I should consider the source), the options were 10 days to trade, waive, release, or put down to the minors. Maybe I'm missing something very basic.

TaylorStSox
07-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Shingo was never put on waivers. The whole Deferred for Assignment could have put him on waivers, but he was never put on it. Instead, from my understanding they shopped him around. From what I read in the trib(I should consider the source), the options were 10 days to trade, waive, release, or put down to the minors. Maybe I'm missing something very basic.

You have to go through waivers if you aren't traded after being DFA'd. So yes, he did go through waivers.

JB98
07-28-2005, 05:45 PM
It was April 7th, I was there. Casey Blake's 465 foot dinger went sailing over my head a mere minute after I told my girlfriend about how great Shingo was....

And the madness needs to stop!! :redneck I am very happy Shingo accepted the assignment simply because I feel bad for the guy, but Vizcaino is a much better pitcher. He has been put into some ****ty situations, mop-up, etc where his ERA has been consequently bloated.

I don't know. I think Vizcaino has pitched better in mop-up situations than he has in key situations. I don't think Shingo should be here at Vizcaino's expense, but I have no love for Viz either.

I just wish the stupid Phillies would realize they are not going to win anything and trade us Wagner.

kevingrt
07-28-2005, 06:33 PM
I don't know. I think Vizcaino has pitched better in mop-up situations than he has in key situations. I don't think Shingo should be here at Vizcaino's expense, but I have no love for Viz either.

I just wish the stupid Phillies would realize they are not going to win anything and trade us Wagner.

I agree with the Wagner comment.

As for Viz, I think he always seems to be put in crap-ass situations. Look at Wednesday... Everyone new he wasn't available to pitch and shouldn't of after two or three straight days of pitching. You cannot blame Wednesday's game on Viz. He gave up only one run to. Our hitting couldn't do anything for like 10 innings.

Beauty35thStreet
07-28-2005, 06:47 PM
My mistake on this. Takatsu had to clear waivers and no one wanted him.

Good for us though, I have a feeling this cat will break his funk.

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2005, 06:52 PM
My mistake on this. Takatsu had to clear waivers and no one wanted him.

Good for us though, I have a feeling this cat will break his funk.I don't understand this. Why couldn't they just option him to AAA? It's not as if he's ever used up any options. And he doesn't have enough service time to qualify as a veteran. Why did he have to clear waivers?

TaylorStSox
07-28-2005, 06:54 PM
I don't understand this. Why couldn't they just option him to AAA? It's not as if he's ever used up any options. And he doesn't have enough service time to qualify as a veteran. Why did he have to clear waivers?

The DFA'd him because they didn't want him. It's that simple. They were hoping for a trade or somebody to pick him up.

TaylorStSox
07-28-2005, 06:58 PM
I believe that by DFA'ing him they picked up a spot on the 40 man roster as well.

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2005, 07:25 PM
I believe that by DFA'ing him they picked up a spot on the 40 man roster as well.If they didn't want him they could have just waived him and be done with it. They didn't need to assign him to AAA. And if they wanted to send him to AAA they usually don't need to DFA. They can just outright a player to the minors as long as he's not out of options.

Optipessimism
07-28-2005, 07:47 PM
If they didn't want him they could have just waived him and be done with it. They didn't need to assign him to AAA. And if they wanted to send him to AAA they usually don't need to DFA. They can just outright a player to the minors as long as he's not out of options.

IT sounds like someone changed their mind somewhere. At first they just wanted to dump him, but now with Hermanson's back as an issue they would rather keep him in AAA. Since no one picked him up, I would imagine he doesn't have any trade value whatsoever. That's fine for us though, I'd rather see him in AAA as insurance. If he can get it together he may be able to help us. If not, no loss as he's gone after 2005 anyway.

Mohoney
07-28-2005, 07:58 PM
If Shingo can get his control back by Aug. 31, and Willie is still inexplicably on the team at that time, I think that taking a chance on Shingo as a 12th pitcher provides more value to a playoff roster than Willie, or for that matter, Timo too.

A 7 man pen might become a necessity if Ozzie is going to yank the starters a little early in August and September outings to keep them fresh for the stretch run.

Think about it: If Shingo took Willie's roster spot, an overused Vizcaino doesn't have to come in to that game yesterday.

JB98
07-28-2005, 08:01 PM
I agree with the Wagner comment.

As for Viz, I think he always seems to be put in crap-ass situations. Look at Wednesday... Everyone new he wasn't available to pitch and shouldn't of after two or three straight days of pitching. You cannot blame Wednesday's game on Viz. He gave up only one run to. Our hitting couldn't do anything for like 10 innings.

I'm not blaming Wednesday's game on Viz. I blame Ozzie for taking Garland out way too soon, and I blame Gload for making an error. I can think of two crap-ass situations Viz has been placed in, yesterday and that game against Cleveland the first week of the season. Point taken on that, but the bottom line is I don't trust Viz in pressure situations. Do you want him pitching in Game 7 of a playoff series? I don't.

billyvsox
07-28-2005, 09:52 PM
I may be mistaken but I believe that a straight option was out of the question. Service time from Japanese baseball I believe eliminates the 3 options. As a veteran with a MLB contract (not a split contract), he needed to be DFA'd.

I also believed this was the plan all along to get him to Charlotte, get him some work, so he can help down the stretch. Thank goodness noone claimed him off waivers.

Banix12
07-28-2005, 10:20 PM
It's always good to have some extra arms you at least somewhat trust in the minors. Shingo's stuff has been there this season but he has been nibbling way too much at the corners and relying too much on his fastball instead of doing what he he was doing last season, getting ahead of the hitter and changing speeds.

Vizcaino has been improving lately but he's still been a tremendous dissapointment this season. Maybe if he keeps this up through next month I'll change my tune. Even with his current turnaround I don't entirely trust him.

Scariest thought, Marte actually has a higher WHIP than both Shingo and Vizcaino. Marte just hasn't given up the HR's like those two which I guess has helped him.

TaylorStSox
07-28-2005, 11:06 PM
It's always good to have some extra arms you at least somewhat trust in the minors. Shingo's stuff has been there this season but he has been nibbling way too much at the corners and relying too much on his fastball instead of doing what he he was doing last season, getting ahead of the hitter and changing speeds.

Vizcaino has been improving lately but he's still been a tremendous dissapointment this season. Maybe if he keeps this up through next month I'll change my tune. Even with his current turnaround I don't entirely trust him.

Scariest thought, Marte actually has a higher WHIP than both Shingo and Vizcaino. Marte just hasn't given up the HR's like those two which I guess has helped him.

I'm more willing to trust Baj than Shingo. I have no patience for a player that doesn't have the heart to throw strikes.

pczarapa
07-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Great news! Get him back up here for Vizsuckaino.

Amen to that

Jjav829
07-28-2005, 11:13 PM
LOL! People pining for the return of Shingo. Priceless stuff. Apparently some people still think this is 2004 and Shingo is a valuable reliever. I just can't believe there are actually people that believe Shingo is better than Vizcaino. It must be the "what have you done for me lately" mentality.

Banix12
07-29-2005, 01:05 AM
I'm more willing to trust Baj than Shingo. I have no patience for a player that doesn't have the heart to throw strikes.

Oh I agree, I'm not one of these people who really wants to see Shingo right now. Vizcaino may have his off days but he hasn't sucked as bad as Shingo, especially lately (though Vizzy is still pretty low on the list of who I trust). Hopefully he can put things together in the minors and start throwing strikes again like he did last year. If he doesn't fix his control issues and start attacking the strike zone he can stay down there for all I care.

And I really wouldn't mind seeing Baj. I saw him pitch in his short stint last season and was at the first game he pitched. He has major league stuff, his stats were inflated by a couple miscues by Willie Harris in his first major league appearance and one really bad outing.

Optipessimism
07-29-2005, 01:17 AM
LOL! People pining for the return of Shingo. Priceless stuff. Apparently some people still think this is 2004 and Shingo is a valuable reliever. I just can't believe there are actually people that believe Shingo is better than Vizcaino. It must be the "what have you done for me lately" mentality.

I think it benefits us more to have a guy who may be able to step up in AAA as opposed to not having really anyone at all. I think Kenny at first just wanted to clear his salary, but now that he's realized he will have to eat it anyway, he might as well keep him as opposed to eating Shingo's contract and shipping him off for a low prospect.

As far as people saying Shingo is better than Viz, you can't really compare the two. IMO Kenny made a great move in picking up Vizzy before the start of the season. Vizzy is best off as a guy who comes in somewhat regularly to bridge the gap between a starter who only goes a few innings and the back end of the bullpen. Vizzy's job would have been to work 2-3 innings but never have to start unlike a normal long reliever. Before the season began, this looked like the perfect move after the signing of El Duque and knowing the troubles JC had in NY.

As it turned out, our starters lasted longer and Vizzy was thrust into an entirely different role. Now, Vizzy doesn't have a place on this team only because this team doesn't have the need for his role. It's NOT because he sucks terribly like most people here would want you to believe.

That said, Shingo, if he can get back on track in AAA, is much more of a fit because he is a guy who only works one inning. We wouldn't need Vizzy on a playoff roster because if a game ever went far into extra innings we would have another starter to rely on. Shingo, though, could be of use to break up say Jenks and Hermanson or Politte. Going from a 100mph fastball to a 'frisbee' then back to someone throwing in the low 90's could really get a guy off his swing.

SoxFan78
07-29-2005, 09:30 AM

Viscaino only gave up one run because it was a tie game in extra innings at the time. Im sure the other guys would of came in eventually if it wasn't extra innings.