PDA

View Full Version : August Schedule through season

Fake Chet Lemon
07-28-2005, 10:38 AM
I think the tough August schedue is EXACTLY what this team needs. The team is 10-12 games up and they know it. The players are just like us, they won't admit it but they just want to start the playoffs and there are a ton of games to play. The top tier teams will do more than Ozzie can do to motivate the team in the dog days of August. If August was all KC, Tampa and Seattle I'd be MORE worried. If Minnesota doesn't challenge us we'll finish playing .500 ball the rest of the way. Assuming the Twins never get their offense going and don't challenge, how many games above or below .500 do you think we'll play the rest of the way? I say .500 ball and we'll be just fine for the playoffs. The playoffs will mostly depend on our starters anyway, not how many infield errors we make in July and August.

Jerko
07-28-2005, 10:40 AM
I kind of agree that the players are looking ahead. BUT, didn't 2000 pan out the same way? Best record in league, huge-ass lead early, so-so 2nd half, a bunch of players benched games at a time, then 3 and out in the playoffs? I know it probably doesn't mean anything but I think some fans are worried that history will repeat itself after these past 2 Royal games.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-28-2005, 11:02 AM
I kind of agree that the players are looking ahead. BUT, didn't 2000 pan out the same way? Best record in league, huge-ass lead early, so-so 2nd half, a bunch of players benched games at a time, then 3 and out in the playoffs? I know it probably doesn't mean anything but I think some fans are worried that history will repeat itself after these past 2 Royal games.

True. But that 2000 team had bad defense, a bad manager, everyone trying to jack a homerun, a bad bullpen and the starters weren't as good. Other than that, 2000 and 2005 are the same teams. Even with all that said, the ghosts of 2000 linger way in the back of my head as well. But the teams ARE radically different.

Mr. White Sox
07-28-2005, 02:08 PM
another reason for this humongous two game losing streak is Pods' slight "slump", if you can call it that. He's been caught stealing 4 of the last 5 attempts, including a tough pickoff a couple of days ago. Once he gets back on track, the one-run wins will start a-comin' once again.