PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 7/28/05

Hangar18
07-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Its been a couple of days since Greg Maddux was responsible for the Cubs getting extra extra extra coverage in both papers. Somehow, theyre still
getting more undeserved attention. More Nomar stories, and of course,
more Ryne Sandberg stories. At least we didnt get another Shawon Dunston fluff piece (couldnt they have done a piece on Greg Luzinski instead?)
Today the papers finally "acknowledge" the classlessness of Cub fans, but still not mentioning what really happened and what was really being said.

Cubune:
8 Cub stories
3 Sox stories

Cub-Times:
5 Cub stories
3 Sox stories

Cubs on Backpage/LeadPage Photo-3 days in a row

3rd Place, 3 games over .500 Cubs 35 stories
1st Place, 30 games over .500 Sox 17 stories

I thought the Media said once the SOX started "winning", we would get more
Media Coverage? Whats wrong with this picture?

TornLabrum
07-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Its been a couple of days since Greg Maddux was responsible for the Cubs getting extra extra extra coverage in both papers. Somehow, theyre still
getting more undeserved attention. More Nomar stories, and of course,
more Ryne Sandberg stories. At least we didnt get another Shawon Dunston fluff piece (couldnt they have done a piece on Greg Luzinski instead?)
Today the papers finally "acknowledge" the classlessness of Cub fans, but still not mentioning what really happened and what was really being said.

Cubune:
8 Cub stories
3 Sox stories

Cub-Times:
5 Cub stories
3 Sox stories

Cubs on Backpage/LeadPage Photo-3 days in a row

3rd Place, 3 games over .500 Cubs 35 stories
1st Place, 30 games over .500 Sox 17 stories

I thought the Media said once the SOX started "winning", we would get more
Media Coverage? Whats wrong with this picture?

We've lost more than we've won lately?

Rocky Soprano
07-28-2005, 11:10 AM

I just had a Cub fan throw that in my face, that since the All-Star break they have a better record. By one game.

I asked him to pull his paper out and read the standings to me. He shut up rather quickly.

Hangar18
07-28-2005, 11:16 AM

Sure, were Fading right now, but a month ago, we were winning and on a
roll, but somehow the story and coverage went to the CUBS and what was
wrong with them and they were on a 8 game losing streak. People said the
Cubs losing was a bigger story than the Sox winning, so that was the reason
for the extra coverage. Now the SOX are stumbling and the Cubs are winning
and their getting all the extra coverage. Cub fan last nite said the cubs deserve the xtra coverage, cuz theyre winning, and as soon as the SOX start winning again, they'll get twice the coverage. I told him it doesnt work that way in this town .....

TornLabrum
07-28-2005, 11:19 AM
Sure, were Fading right now, but a month ago, we were winning and on a
roll, but somehow the story and coverage went to the CUBS and what was
wrong with them and they were on a 8 game losing streak. People said the
Cubs losing was a bigger story than the Sox winning, so that was the reason
for the extra coverage. Now the SOX are stumbling and the Cubs are winning
and their getting all the extra coverage. Cub fan last nite said the cubs deserve the xtra coverage, cuz theyre winning, and as soon as the SOX start winning again, they'll get twice the coverage. I told him it doesnt work that way in this town .....

Let's wait until we start winning again. However, I tend to agree with you that even if the Cubs start losing (more) and we start winning (again), the Cubs will either get:

a) more coverage, or
b) positive coverage while ours will have a more negative slant to it.

bumptious96
07-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Quick question for Hangar. How long have you been keeping track of this?

Has it been the last couple of weeks? Its interesting how the Cubune can never stop finding stupid crap to write about.

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Quick question for Hangar. How long have you been keeping track of this?

Has it been the last couple of weeks? Its interesting how the Cubune can never stop finding stupid crap to write about.

Hangar's been following this for years now...And, I personally think he should be our WSI Ambassador to the Chicago Media.

The Sox could win the World Series, while the Cubs could have a season as bad as the Tigers did a few years ago when they lost 119 games, and the Cubs STILL would be getting more coverage. I think it's time for people to not purchase the Cubune or the Cub-Times and support the Southtown or the Daily Herald, which both give much better coverage to the SOX!

Maximo
07-28-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm anticipating reading an article such as this one sometime in late October.

Several Cub players were honored yesterday as the "Tribune" held their first annual Hog Roast for fans in thanks for their support during the recently completed regular season. Over 7,500 of the Cubbie "faithful" crowded into a tent on a dreary rainy day in Lincoln Park to catch a glimpse of their heros who finished with an 81-81 record, good enough for a solid third place finish in the tough NL Central.

Derek Lee was named the team's MVP. Hitting Coach Gene Clines accepted the award for Lee who was in Cooperstown, New York, meeting with officials regarding what team hat to wear should he continue compiling HOF seasons for the next 10 years, or so.

Mark Prior was named Pitcher of the Year for not only the 2005 season, but for the 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 seasons, as well.

Aramis Ramirez won the "Charley Hustle" Award while Corey Patterson was named "Most Improved". Patterson also garnered the "Brooks Kieschnik" trophy
as he was named once again, the Cubs' "Top Prospect".

Nomar Garciaparra and Kerry Wood shared the "Comeback Player of the Year" award for returning from career threatening injuries during the season. It was the third such time in the last three seasons for both of them.

Carlos Zambrano won the coveted "Sammy Sosa" award. The award embodies attributes such as unselfishness, cool-headedness, leadership, and over-all likeability.

Meanwhile, on the southside of town, the Sox won the World Series.

TommyJohn
07-28-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm anticipating reading an article such as this one sometime in late October.

Several Cub players were honored yesterday as the "Tribune" held their first annual Hog Roast for fans in thanks for their support during the recently completed regular season. Over 7,500 of the Cubbie "faithful" crowded into a tent on a dreary rainy day in Lincoln Park to catch a glimpse of their heros who finished with an 81-81 record, good enough for a solid third place finish in the tough NL Central.

Derek Lee was named the team's MVP. Hitting Coach Gene Clines accepted the award for Lee who was in Cooperstown, New York, meeting with officials regarding what team hat to wear should he continue compiling HOF seasons for the next 10 years, or so.

Mark Prior was named Pitcher of the Year for not only the 2005 season, but for the 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 seasons, as well.

Aramis Ramirez won the "Charley Hustle" Award while Corey Patterson was named "Most Improved". Patterson also garnered the "Brooks Kieschnik" trophy
as he was named once again, the Cubs' "Top Prospect".

Nomar Garciaparra and Kerry Wood shared the "Comeback Player of the Year" award for returning from career threatening injuries during the season. It was the third such time in the last three seasons for both of them.

Carlos Zambrano won the coveted "Sammy Sosa" award. The award embodies attributes such as unselfishness, cool-headedness, leadership, and over-all likeability.

I think you're incredibly wrong. I mean, with such a big Cubbie Lovefest
hitting town, would they even take time to mention the White Sox
winning the World Series?

Flight #24
07-28-2005, 01:37 PM

Actually, the Cubune would probably be a bit more subtle, something like this:

"On the south side, the White Sox ended their season by beating the Cardinals in the 7th game of their series, 3-2. The Sox can now move into their offseason amidst rumors that they'll reduce payroll by letting go fan favorite and team leader Paul Konerko and buying out Frank Thomas' contract."

Followed by Knue on here saying "What - we're giving the Sox equal time and even discussing what their offseason might have in store!"

TornLabrum
07-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Followed by Knue on here saying "What - we're giving the Sox equal time and even discussing what their offseason might have in store!"

Why the teal?

Flight #24
07-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Why the teal?

Just giving him the benefit of the doubt, despite that he hasn't earned it.

Hangar18
07-28-2005, 02:09 PM

George Knue did try to tell us that the Cubune was giving the SOX "Equal" coverage. Hmmmmmmm. The precedent they themselves set, was whoever is winning, gets 4X the amount of coverage and cover photos. The Cubs were perceived to be "winning" last year and got way more Coverage last year.

This season, the SOX have the BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL, 1st PLACE since the season started, and the best they could do for a little while was give us 50/50 Coverage, and not the 4Times the amount of coverage we as fans were led to believe would happen. On top of that, this was only since May/June, and a 2 game winning streak by the Cubs immediately puts the Cubs back on the "winning" plan, and again back to getting twice and three times the coverage......
And the SOX still have the BEST record in baseball.
What gives George Knue?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Here's a prediction you can take to the bank for the remainder of the 2005 season.

If the Cubs (again) begin swooning in the standings and the Sox (again) begin an unbrokened march to the greatest record in the 105 seasons of the franchise's history -- if all that happens -- the big stories McGrath and Knue feature will be... (drumroll, please)... the Chicago Bears.

The Sox will get the bare minimum coverage the Cubune can offer without embarrassing themselves in front of the growing national media attention garnered by the team's exceptional record. Furthermore, McGrath & Knue will stand up and declare that's the way it should be, too. Butter wouldn't melt in their mouth.

:knue
"I change McGrath's print headlines for CS.com but that doesn't mean I think he's biased!"

:roflmao:

Hangar18
07-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Here's a prediction you can take to the bank for the remainder of the 2005 season.

If the Cubs (again) begin swooning in the standings and the Sox (again) begin an unbrokened march to the greatest record in the 105 seasons of the franchise's history -- if all that happens -- the big stories McGrath and Knue feature will be... (drumroll, please)... the Chicago Bears.

The Sox will get the bare minimum coverage the Cubune can offer without embarrassing themselves in front of the growing national media attention garnered by the team's exceptional record. Furthermore, McGrath & Knue will stand up and declare that's the way it should be, too. Butter wouldn't melt in their mouth.

:knue
"I change McGrath's print headlines for CS.com but that doesn't mean I think he's biased!"

:roflmao:

Im printing this prediction, because I have a sneaking suspicion PHG is right...
We should make this "sticky" this post and refer to it before Game 1 of the AL Playoffs

White Sox Randy
07-28-2005, 02:28 PM
If the Sox win the WS, I think the lead story on BBT will be :

The Yanks don't win the World Series ! ....followed by....

The Red Sox don't repeat !......after our break....Chicago's other team wins....

Hangar18
07-28-2005, 02:55 PM
If the Sox win the WS, I think the lead story on BBT will be :

The Yanks don't win the World Series ! ....followed by....

The Red Sox don't repeat !......after our break....Chicago's other team wins....

If there was a Sox Vs Cardinals World Series, ESPN would run this Poll:

Would the Cubs have made a better opponent in World Series vs Yankees?
* Yes
* No

OR
Whats the better World Series

Cubs vs Yankees
Cubs vs RedSox

Brian26
07-28-2005, 02:56 PM

Oh come on, PHG....admit it! You're getting itchy for two-a-days in Bourbanais!