PDA

View Full Version : Southtown Reports On Wagner

Madvora
07-28-2005, 08:54 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/281sd2.htm

According to a source in the Sox organization, Williams was still talking to Philadelphia about closer Billy Wagner as late as Tuesday in hopes of changing the Phillies' minds on a deal. However, the Phillies, who still believe they will make a playoff push, informed Williams they are standing firm on their decision to keep Wagner.
The source also said board chairman Jerry Reinsdorf had given Williams permission to pick up the remainder of Wagner's $9 million salary for the 2005 season. However, none of that mattered to the Phillies.

Looks like the Sox really want this guy, but the Phillies don't want to give him up.

BeviBall!
07-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Of course... the one year we're 30 over, every other team except Colorado and Kansas City are in the playoff hunt.

veeter
07-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Look at it this way, nobody else is getting much stronger either.

Madvora
07-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Exactly what I was going to say, however we might get weaker with the chance of losing Crede or Hermanson to back problems and the chance that Frank might not return. For those reasons, I think we need somebody.

BeviBall!
07-28-2005, 09:36 AM

This is true of course, but the few teams that do make moves, have gigantic advantages.

itsnotrequired
07-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Phillies are 3.5 out of the wild card. Tough call on whether to be a buyer or a seller. That's why the trade date should be pushed back. Every team in the AL with the exception of Seattle, Kansas City and Tampa Bay are within 5 games of the wild card. 11 of 14 teams are still in the hunt! How can a team possibly know how they should trade? Grrr...

Vernam
07-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Look at it this way, nobody else is getting much stronger either.Excellent point, though that's also why it would so rock if KW pulls off a big deal. I'm glad Wagner is (or was, sadly) at the top of his list. Nothing against Hermanson, but I'd like him much better in the role Politte currently fills. And I'd damn sure like Politte better in the role Vizcaino currently fills.

If Wagner isn't available, I hope KW goes all out for Huff, which solves our second biggest need.

VC

MIgrenade
07-28-2005, 11:53 AM
This is true of course, but the few teams that do make moves, have gigantic advantages.

Not if they only get Tony Grafanino, or Joe Randa, or Ponson if that had happened, or Leiter...or Nomo for that matter. There haven't been any big moves and it doesn't look like there will be. That's a huge advantage to the White Sox who have the best pitching by far.

sircaffey1
07-28-2005, 01:26 PM
I still don't believe Wagner isn't available. If the Phillies got something they thought improved their chances this year, I am sure they would trade him. That being said, it's KW's job to find out what that is and get Wagner to the Southside...

Lip Man 1
07-28-2005, 01:29 PM
In my opinion there are players on the Mariners, Kansas City and Tampa Bay the Sox can use. There's three teams right there Williams can deal with. That's more then enough.

Make it happen Kenny.

Lip

pudge
07-28-2005, 01:56 PM
In my opinion there are players on the Mariners, Kansas City and Tampa Bay the Sox can use. There's three teams right there Williams can deal with. That's more then enough.

Make it happen Kenny.

Lip

The Mariners are likely not giving up Guardado, they want to turn it around next year and they need a closer.

Huff might be worth it from TB.

I have no clue who on god's earth you'd want from KC except maybe Sweeney, and we already have one of those guys in Konerko.

BeviBall!
07-28-2005, 02:00 PM

Make it happen Kenny.

Lip

Absolutely. Sweeney, Affeldt, Huff, Baez, Guardado... plenty of options there.

BeviBall!
07-28-2005, 02:02 PM
I have no clue who on god's earth you'd want from KC except maybe Sweeney, and we already have one of those guys in Konerko.

Sweeney is 450x the man Paulie is. When have you ever thought to youself, Paulie has this guy right here? I thought that about Sweeney 5 times this series, all times correct. Plus, he can actually beat Frank in a footrace.

JB98
07-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Sweeney is 450x the man Paulie is. When have you ever thought to youself, Paulie has this guy right here? I thought that about Sweeney 5 times this series, all times correct. Plus, he can actually beat Frank in a footrace.

Sweeney is one of the best hitters in baseball. The problem is he's had a lot of injuries. It's buyer beware for any team that wants him. You'd be paying $11 million a year to a guy who is good for a trip or two to the DL every season.

If we were to trade for him, he'd be the best hitter on the team the second he set foot in the clubhouse. He would be the perfect replacement for Frank, if we find out that Frank can't go the rest of the year.

Iguana775
07-28-2005, 02:53 PM
The Mariners are likely not giving up Guardado, they want to turn it around next year and they need a closer.

I'd take Sweeney any day over Kone.

TaylorStSox
07-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Why would the Royals give us any of their young arms? It doesn't make any sense for them.

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2005, 04:40 PM

I have no clue who on god's earth you'd want from KC except maybe Sweeney, and we already have one of those guys in Konerko.If the Mariners think they can compete next year, they're crazy. They've gotten a lot younger in the field, but half their pitching staff is AARP-eligible. They should be looking to trade Guardado for a young pitcher who will be ready next year.

Banix12
07-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Sweeney or Huff would be great. Maybe acquire Brian Fuentes from the Rockies or Baez from Tampa for an extra reliever.

brewcrew/chisox
07-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Get Sweeney. I can't stand him hitting against the Sox. I mean, watching Sox games for the past few years, I think that there is a secret rule that when the Royals have men on base against the Sox, Sweeney gets to bat no matter who is actually scheduled to bat in the lineup....

And he kills.

If you can't beatm'.........

Foulke You
07-28-2005, 11:36 PM
Get Sweeney. I can't stand him hitting against the Sox. I mean, watching Sox games for the past few years, I think that there is a secret rule that when the Royals have men on base against the Sox, Sweeney gets to bat no matter who is actually scheduled to bat in the lineup....

And he kills.

If you can't beatm'.........
During yesterday's telecast, Hawk and DJ stated that Royals management has indicated they are not going to trade Mike Sweeney anytime soon. He is the face of the Royals organization and they like what they see in Buddy Bell so they want to build around Mike Sweeney rather than trade him. We already have a pretty good power hitting first baseman named Paul Konerko. Just because Sweeney kills the Sox doesn't mean he is the impact player we need. There are other areas that need improving way before 1B. We can win a World Series with Paulie at 1B. The weaknesses are Luis Vizcaino in the bullpen, Willie Harris as a backup infielder, and Juan Uribe's lack of offensive consistency.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2005, 11:55 PM
According to The Sporting News the team that gets Sweeney will have to eat his large contract. THAT's the reason he's not going anywhere, the 'face' of the Royals reason is BS. K.C. simply does not want to pay any of his deal.

Lip

Banix12
07-29-2005, 02:16 AM
According to The Sporting News the team that gets Sweeney will have to eat his large contract. THAT's the reason he's not going anywhere, the 'face' of the Royals reason is BS. K.C. simply does not want to pay any of his deal.

Lip

Now that's the Royals I know.

I don't think he goes anywhere now, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's on another team at the start of next season.

beck72
07-29-2005, 07:06 AM
If Philly gets some pitchers they could use for the stretch run, via trade from the sox [Philly has been linked to Danys Baez, and a decent SP] they could deal Billy Wagner.

No way will Philly take just prospects. but teams that are rebuilding will, like the D-Rays, and could be used to land Wagner