PDA

View Full Version : Sox: #1 Radio Team in AL

havelj
07-28-2005, 02:13 AM
In USAToday, they rank all the MLB radio teams based on three categories. Rooney & Farmer are #1 in AL. Any guesses where the Cub radio team is? (not good)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-07-26-announcers-overview_x.htm

StillMissOzzie
07-28-2005, 02:28 AM
In USAToday, they rank all the MLB radio teams based on three categories. Rooney & Farmer are #1 in AL. Any guesses where the Cub radio team is? (not good)

We all knew Rooney & Farmer were great, but the ScRub voices? BWAHAHAHAHA! Actually, I think that Pat Hughes calls a decent game, but stuck with Santo? That's killing them.

SMO
:gulp:

Chisox003
07-28-2005, 02:36 AM
Poor Willsy in Tampa....Dead last in the AL and only ahead of the Rockies :o: in the entire MLB

Rooney is great, but Farmer drives me nuts sometimes...

Good to see them getting some recognition though, and being behind only Vin scully and tied with a guy like Jon Miller is a pretty big compliment

Optipessimism
07-28-2005, 02:38 AM
Wow. They hit the nail right on the head with both the Sox and Chubs. It's great to see Rooney and Farmer get their props, and equally as wonderful to read an article on how annoying Santo is. Sometimes I have to listen to that dreadful idiot when the Brewers are in town because I can't pick up AM 620 out of Milwaukee. I feel so bad for Pat Hughes because it just seems like he's the guy who has to pat the retard on the back every time the guy sticks a triangle into the triangle-shaped slot of the cube, or has to give out congratulations every time he correctly identifies a 'meow' as the sound a cat makes. Hughes could do so much better.

LuvSox
07-28-2005, 05:59 AM
Rooney and Farmer rock. Way to go guys.

JRIG
07-28-2005, 06:12 AM
Rooney is the best in the business, period. We should feel very lucky to have had him for so long and to have been able to hold onto him.

Hitmen77
07-28-2005, 07:01 AM
In case someone didn't notice, clicking the team name in the article takes you to a more detailed write-up of the radio team. It also has a audio link for the top 5 teams in each league.

Hitmen77
07-28-2005, 07:33 AM
Wow! I'm SHOCKED that a national publication actually ranked based on the facts and didn't do their usual: rank the Sox near the bottom in no matter what the category because they hate the Sox and rank the Cubs near the top no matter what because they're mindlessly riding the Cubbie hype.

Well, maybe the Cubune can report on this USA Today ranking with their own pro-Cub spin:

"The people that pass for journalists at McPaper just don't get it - Ron Santo is a legend who is beloved by all Chicagoans. He is as much a part of the Cubs as the ivy or the urinal troughs (sorry, had to slip that one in). They rank the Sox announcers as #1, but ask anyone on the streets in Chicago and they'll say "Rooney and Farmer who?". To prove this, we compared the radio ratings of Saturday's Cubs broadcast against the Cardinals against ratings of the May 11 Sox weekday afternoon game in Tampa and found that Santo beat Rooney and Farmer by 5 to 1. The contrast between these announcing teams is as stark as the contrast between the always packed Friendly Confines and the empty, soulless US Cellular Field."

tschneid83
07-28-2005, 08:04 AM
I wish I could watch the game and listen to rooney and farmer but that does not work so well with AM1000 down here in west lafayette. I like hawk and DJ but rooney are farmer are the best. I am glad someone else sees it my way.

cleanwsox
07-28-2005, 08:09 AM
Anybody know how long Rooney and Farmer have been together? I have enjoyed every one of their broadcasts and it's good to see them get their props.

Here's to you John and Ed! :gulp:

TornLabrum
07-28-2005, 08:36 AM
Anybody know how long Rooney and Farmer have been together? I have enjoyed every one of their broadcasts and it's good to see them get their props.

Here's to you John and Ed! :gulp:

They were first teamed up in 1992.

RKMeibalane
07-28-2005, 08:39 AM
They were first teamed up in 1992.

Was that after Farmer was fired by Baltimore?

TornLabrum
07-28-2005, 08:42 AM
Was that after Farmer was fired by Baltimore?

I'll be a little more kind than you and say it was after he left the scouting profession and when his pal Ron Schueler became the Sox GM.

chaerulez
07-28-2005, 10:02 AM
We all knew Rooney & Farmer were great, but the ScRub voices? BWAHAHAHAHA! Actually, I think that Pat Hughes calls a decent game, but stuck with Santo? That's killing them.

SMO

Yeah Hughes is quality in the booth, but Santo is just terrible. They should've been last just for the fact that I don't think any other organization has some guy that is that clueless and unprepared in doing his job.

DaleJRFan
07-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Pat Hughes is awesome. The Scrubs are very lucky to have him or else their broadcasts would be entirely unlistenable.

Rooney and Farmer are the best. Glad they are here and I hope they stay for a long while.

TornLabrum
07-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Vin Scully by himself is the best radio team in baseball. That being said, I'm thrilled beyond belief that somebody recognized Rooney and Farmer as the best radio team in the AL.

The other thing that I liked was that the Tampa Bay radio team, although ranked last in the AL, really had nothing negative about them. It looks as if the only reason they were ranked that low is because they are new and still feeling things out. I'd already rank Willsy as one of the better PBP guys in the league.

RichFitztightly
07-28-2005, 01:39 PM
I agree Farmer and Rooney are very good. Now if only they could add a delay so the action matches up with the TV, I'd be able to turn down the TV and listen to the radio instead.

Vernam
07-28-2005, 01:44 PM
I agree Farmer and Rooney are very good. Now if only they could add a delay so the action matches up with the TV, I'd be able to turn down the TV and listen to the radio instead.Radio Shark is billed as "Tivo for your radio." See http://tinyurl.com/7vnw5. I've seen similar gizmos in computer/electronics stores, and they're not too expensive.

VC

Brian26
07-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Rooney is the best in the business, period. We should feel very lucky to have had him for so long and to have been able to hold onto him.

A class act, too. Rooney is absolutely the best in the business.

dcb33
07-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Pat Hughes is awesome. The Scrubs are very lucky to have him or else their broadcasts would be entirely unlistenable.

Rooney and Farmer are the best. Glad they are here and I hope they stay for a long while.

I enjoy listening to Pat Hughes.

It's too bad USA Today didn't post a link to Santo's infamous "OOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOO" outburst from that game in '98 against the Brewers as a sample of the duo's work. :rolleyes:

zach074
07-28-2005, 02:20 PM
I enjoy the radio broadcasts. Very entertaining.

RichFitztightly
07-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Radio Shark is billed as "Tivo for your radio." See http://tinyurl.com/7vnw5. I've seen similar gizmos in computer/electronics stores, and they're not too expensive.

VC

Hmmm, very interesting. I'd bet next you're going to tell me they have the internet on computers now?

Sxy Mofo
07-28-2005, 02:49 PM
I remember hawk and dj talking to this guy in the booth about this book.

Hangar18
07-28-2005, 03:19 PM

Pat Hughes I believe has the ability and talent to be much better than he is ....
but he has 2 strikes against him.
Strike One: He has become more of a Buffoon the last 2 yrs
Strike Two: He has to make up for being teamed with the talentless Santo

John Rooney has always been recognized by SOX fans as being very insightful, knowledgable, and professional (Note that Santo has NONE of these qualities)
He has been doing network games for CBS for years, including the NCAA tournament games. I truly hope they keep Santo in the booth, so that theyre broadcasts can stay as bad as they have been

Hangar18
07-28-2005, 03:32 PM
So the White SOX radio team was ranked #1 out of 14 ........
and Cubs radio team was ranked #13 out of 16?

Wait a second, Hasnt the Tribune been tellling how GREAT Hughes & Santo are?

Ask the Chicago Media to rank the 2 radio teams "Santo is such an excellent
announcer, his love for the team comes across like a beam of light"

soxfan123
07-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Wow. That's great. Now I have a palpable argument when I speak with the ignorant Cubs fans. Thanks for the info! Good job Farmio and Rooney.

MUScholar21
07-28-2005, 04:45 PM
I wish they would have pointed out what an inability Santo has shown to keep up with teams ("Pat, how did we get that guy" and other similar statements).

I'm very glad that Rooney and Farmer were awarded. Rooney is far and away the best, I wish he was a bigger name (like Scully and Miller) to people outside of the Chicagoland area, hopefully XM and others like it promote him more. You can't beat him.

Even Farmer is good, in his own way. You just have to get used to his dry humor, and his unique perspective. He has some lame stories, but he does a great job explaining some of the intricacies of the game.

Vernam
07-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Hmmm, very interesting. I'd bet next you're going to tell me they have the internet on computers now?:?:I was trying to be helpful to the guy. Those radios aren't exactly commonplace . . .

VC

hsnterprize
07-28-2005, 04:50 PM
To tell you the truth, I'm surprised, yet very pleased, that USA Today ranked John Rooney and Ed Farmer as the best radio announcing team in MLB. As a Chicago reporter as well as a Chicago White Sox fan, it's great to see people outside the Sox fan scope acknowledge Rooney and "Farmio" and their work to bring Sox games home to fans across Chicagoland and around the world on XM Satellite Radio.

We White Sox fans are very proud to have such a distinguished team calling games from the south side of Chicago. Considering all the "love and admiration" the cross-town Cubs get on just about everything but the kitchen sink, it's good to know there are people who appreciate what the Sox announcers bring to the table. John and Ed, along with their staff, work extra hard to make the "White Sox Experience" enjoyable for everyone who is willing to partake.

Keep up the good work, and thanks again for placing John Rooney and Ed Farmer at the top of your list. Hopefully, this will be a sign of things to come for the Sox as they make a bid to be the first Chicago team to win a World Series since the 1917 pale hose.

I hope that speaks well for most of us on this site. They do great work, and it's great they're being acknowledged for it...albeit it's only an "opinion poll".

Chips
07-28-2005, 05:53 PM
Farmer and Rooney are fantastic. :gulp: :gulp:

I think Ron Santo is going to have a heart attack in the booth and drop dead one day. Him and Hughes talk about that damn attendence game more than they talk about the game.

SABRSox
07-28-2005, 05:57 PM
Vin Scully by himself is the best radio team in baseball. That being said, I'm thrilled beyond belief that somebody recognized Rooney and Farmer as the best radio team in the AL.

Vin Scully is amazing. It's so unfortunate that Rick Monday is also on that team. He is HORRID. I wish they'd fire him and we'd get more Vin.

Congrats to Rooney and Farmer. I listen to them when I can at work on XM... it's always a pleasure.

chisoxfan64
07-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Him and Hughes talk about that damn attendence game more than they talk about the game.[/QUOTE]

Aww darn Pat, I thought I was right on with my guess of 1.2 million in attendance today. And by the way none of them have left yet.

Don`t worry Ronny You`ll get it tomorrow.

kevingrt
07-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Looney and Farmio are the best... who doesn't luve them

skobabe8
07-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Like Carmen says in the ESPN promo "Stay tuned, John and Ed, the best in the business, will be right back."

kitekrazy
07-28-2005, 08:00 PM
I agree Farmer and Rooney are very good. Now if only they could add a delay so the action matches up with the TV, I'd be able to turn down the TV and listen to the radio instead.

I'm probably one of the few to say this but I'm sick of Hawk.

Nyls Nyman
07-28-2005, 08:06 PM
I thought that the ratings were surprisingly accurate. But the Yankees' announcing team is just awful.

Pat Hughes is much better than he sounds. When he was paired up with Steve Stone during the 2003 playoffs, he was excellent. But John Rooney is the #2 guy of this generation, behind Jon Miller.

The last place rating got me listening to Dave Wills on Gameday Audio broadcasting the DRays-Royals game. His partner is really poor, but Dave is doing well when he can focus on the game. He's obviously learned a little bit from being around Rooney.

soxfan1965
07-28-2005, 10:04 PM
When Rooney was with Wayne Hagin I couldn't tell them apart. But I appreciate Rooney much more after seeing how the Bears never filled the big shoes of Wayne Laravee. Rooney would be very hard to replace. Farmer's dry humor keeps it interesting and helps to have a pitcher in the booth. Pat Hughes is a funny guy with great timing and sets up Santo. Santo is fun to listen to after a devestating loss or an unbelievable win (kind of like Butkus on the radio after a Fridge touchtown reception). The 4 radio guys seem MUCH more interesting than the 4 tv guys (except maybe DJ). Hawk's trite cliches sometimes wears thin--but did appreciate when he showed some unveiled anger recently toward Marte's walks.

TimoandAaron
07-28-2005, 10:19 PM
poor Dave Wills is last:(: :(:

If they did that for hockey, would Pat Foley:cool: and Troy Murray:rolleyes: be first?????

I remember having the Pat Foley and Dale Tallon connection,back when they were on AM1000, when i was like 6 years old and listening to the hawks games on the radio and playing the game in my basement. Those two, were definately the best in the Biz.

RichFitztightly
07-28-2005, 10:20 PM
:?:I was trying to be helpful to the guy. Those radios aren't exactly commonplace . . .

VC

I think you missed my point. First off, I'm the guy you originally helped with that TiVo for radio gadget. My little quip in response was a way to make fun of myself for not being aware of such a gadget. I'm usually pretty on top of things when it comes to new do-hickeys, yet I never even thought that anything like that exsisted. Believe me I appreciate your help. I have this page filed away for when I get time/money/desire to buy one of those things. It'll especially come in handy Bears Sunday. I can't stand to listen to the TV broadcasts.

slavko
07-28-2005, 10:57 PM
FWIW, Dan McNeil on the flagship station last winter during a discussion of the broadcast teams said "They need a change...on the radio side...there I said it." He got a change, but not the one he expected.

gr8mexico
07-29-2005, 12:15 AM
AL announcing teams (rank)Technical
Fan
Entertainment
TOTAL
Chicago White Sox (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-07-26-announcers-al_x.htm#whitesox) (1)9
John Rooney, Ed Farmer

Oakland (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-07-26-announcers-al_x.htm#as) (2)8.5
Ken Korach, Ray Fosse, Bill King

Seattle (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-07-26-announcers-al_x.htm#mariners) (3)8
Dave Niehaus, Ron Fairly,
Rick Rizzs, Kevin Callabro

Minnesota (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-07-26-announcers-al_x.htm#twins) (4)8.5
John Gordon, Dan Gladden,
Herb Carneal

Cleveland (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-07-26-announcers-al_x.htm#indians) (5)8.5

TornLabrum
07-29-2005, 12:22 AM
And guess what. There has been a thread about this up all day today. Sheesh!

halfpricemonday
07-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Check the other thread. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55039)

TornLabrum
07-29-2005, 12:27 AM
I thought that the ratings were surprisingly accurate. But the Yankees' announcing team is just awful.

Pat Hughes is much better than he sounds. When he was paired up with Steve Stone during the 2003 playoffs, he was excellent. But John Rooney is the #2 guy of this generation, behind Jon Miller.

The last place rating got me listening to Dave Wills on Gameday Audio broadcasting the DRays-Royals game. His partner is really poor, but Dave is doing well when he can focus on the game. He's obviously learned a little bit from being around Rooney.

I listened to Dave when he was doing Kane County games. Believe me, he hasn't learned all that much from Rooney.

EDIT: Meaning he was every bit as good 15 years ago there as he is now.

Vernam
07-29-2005, 08:02 AM
I think you missed my point. First off, I'm the guy you originally helped with that TiVo for radio gadget. My little quip in response was a way to make fun of myself for not being aware of such a gadget.You're right, my bad! If I'd noticed you were "the guy," I would've made more sense. :o:

VC

Procol Harum
07-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Well, guess I'll have to be the contrarian (No, for you over-the-top Sox reactionaries out there, not in praise of Ron Santo) in this thread. While I like Rooney, Ed Farmer drives me absolutely bananas (and not the dancing kind). For me, he's the radio equivalent to fingernails on a chalkboard and renders listening to radio broadcasts of Sox games a laborious experience.

But, I reckon that's why they make different varieties of churros...

Paulwny
07-29-2005, 10:11 AM
While I like Rooney, Ed Farmer drives me absolutely bananas (and not the dancing kind). For me, he's the radio equivalent to fingernails on a chalkboard and renders listening to radio broadcasts of Sox games a laborious experience.

But, I reckon that's why they make different varieties of churros...

Glad to see I'm not alone in this this take on Farmio.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Count on the Cubune to get the story bass ackwards. USAToday's ranking raved about Rooney, but the Cubune covered the story focusing on what a divisive person Ed Farmer is.
:?:

And if the the totally unbiased crew led by McGrath and Knue didn't hang themselves with this blatantly false characterization about USAToday's rankings, they further used the word "stunning" to describe Hughes/Santo finishing 26th.

Why the **** is it "stunning?" Does anyone besides the corporate shills inside Cubune Tower seriously believe Hughes/Santo are any good?
:o:

These people have no shame...

SOXPHILE
07-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Teddy Greenstein in today's Trib says that Hughes and Santo finished a "stunning" 26th out of 30. Yeah, I was stunned too Teddy. Stunned that they finished that high up on the list. Hughes may not be that bad, but Santo is an absolute jackass that drags that broadcast down to sub-terrainian levels. I hope they keep him around for a long time.

:santo
"Uhh...ummmm...Pat, we got a fax here from, uhhh....Edith Lipschitz in Niles, and..uhhh.....mmm..she says she just loves us and our broadcasts. She always listens with her daughter and grandkids, and hopes the Cubs win today. Boy, that's just great. Huh ? What ? The game ended 20 minutes ago, and the Cubs lost ? Ah jeez...somebody's gotta tell me these things....."

cleanwsox
07-29-2005, 11:07 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0507290334jul29,1,4331161.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Gotta love the Cubune statement:

"The Cubs' duo of Pat Hughes and Ron Santo finished a stunning 26th out of 30."

Absolutely stunning!

cheeses_h_rice
07-29-2005, 11:22 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0507290334jul29,1,4331161.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Gotta love the Cubune statement:

Absolutely stunning!

Well, it could be like that "Seinfeld" episode where that one doctor described Elaine as "breathtaking," the same term he used to describe the ugly baby.

"Stunning" doesn't necessarily mean "I thought they'd be ranked higher," y'know. Maybe Teddy G. is surprised they weren't ranked dead last.

:)

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Teddy Greenstein in today's Trib says that Hughes and Santo finished a "stunning" 26th out of 30. Yeah, I was stunned too Teddy.

It's pretty obvious Greenstein is looking for a management job at Cubune Tower. This is about as bald-faced as it gets. If I was McGrath I would be watching my back. This little prick will go all the way to get ahead.

Brian26
07-29-2005, 11:31 AM
It's heartening to know we all think alike. The stunning comment in the paper this morning was ludicrous. Santo is absolutely the worst broadcaster I've ever heard. At this point, it's more sad than anything. I feel sorry for the man. He's much, much worse than Harry ever was towards the end. It's painful to listen to sometimes. I heard him tripping over himself on a pregame interview with Dusty about a month ago, where he made so many mistakes and stuttered and stammered through it so painfully that I was shocked they didn't re-tape the interview.

mr_genius
07-29-2005, 12:42 PM
Teddy G. is surprised they weren't ranked dead last.

i was suprised too

:redneck

ElevenUp
07-29-2005, 12:49 PM
It's heartening to know we all think alike. The stunning comment in the paper this morning was ludicrous. Santo is absolutely the worst broadcaster I've ever heard. At this point, it's more sad than anything. I feel sorry for the man. He's much, much worse than Harry ever was towards the end. It's painful to listen to sometimes. I heard him tripping over himself on a pregame interview with Dusty about a month ago, where he made so many mistakes and stuttered and stammered through it so painfully that I was shocked they didn't re-tape the interview.

Perhaps that was the re-taped interview.:tongue:

TornLabrum
07-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Count on the Cubune to get the story bass ackwards. USAToday's ranking raved about Rooney, but the Cubune covered the story focusing on what a divisive person Ed Farmer is.
:?:

And if the the totally unbiased crew led by McGrath and Knue didn't hang themselves with this blatantly false characterization about USAToday's rankings, they further used the word "stunning" to describe Hughes/Santo finishing 26th.

Why the **** is it "stunning?" Does anyone besides the corporate shills inside Cubune Tower seriously believe Hughes/Santo are any good?
:o:

These people have no shame...

I don't think the lead sentence was a characterization of the article in USA Today. It was simply a gratuitous slam at Farmer.

Ed Farmer's critics think the White Sox's radio analyst sometimes talks too much. But "Farmio," as his friends call him, had plenty to crow about Thursday.

Stroker Ace
07-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Poor Willsy in Tampa....Dead last in the AL and only ahead of the Rockies :o: in the entire MLBWell, the Rays don't give him much to work with.

Foulke You
07-29-2005, 03:03 PM
I love Farmer and Rooney. They are the best in the business, glad to see they got some accolades.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-29-2005, 03:07 PM
they'd be even better if farmer didn't talk over and interupt rooney every chance he got.

maybe a few pop culture referrences from the 80's 90's and 00's and less from the 60's and 70's

seriously i love the guys

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Nice! Finally getting some recognition...

and pat hughes is a very solid announcer, but you santo is the anchor holding that broadcast down

"OHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

JohnBasedowYoda
07-29-2005, 06:58 PM
"OHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

quoting dj?

SOX LA Mikey
07-30-2005, 12:07 PM
"Farmer and Rooney finished second overall to the Dodgers' team of Vin Scully, Charley Steiner and Rick Monday."

Must say something about how highly regarded VIN is because Monday is barely tolerable and Charlie Steiner is an Absolute Clown. I'm in LA and I hear them all the time,
Vin always works alone, yeah he's a legend, but he's WAY too
into talking about what the National's 2nd baseman's father did for a living and how he was raised by his grandmother.... if you listen to the whole series
you know every player's life history because you've heard it 3 times in 3 days.

Yeah Stunning all right
Visited Chicago for a the first time in 2 years and was "stunned" at how AWFUL Santo is on the radio, even my Cub friendly friends had No defense,
one said Hughes is "a Saint" for how much he covers up for Ronnie

ClaudelSleptHere
07-30-2005, 04:34 PM
I was also stunned that Hughes and Santo beat four other teams. Hughes job reminds me of a father taking his eight-year old daughter to her first game and trying to keep her interested.

ChiSox14305635
07-31-2005, 08:44 AM
Rooney and Farmer are the top ranked duo in the AL & #2 in MLB, behind Scully and the Dodgers.

1. Chicago White Sox (John Rooney, Ed Farmer)

Rooney is as solid a play-by-play announcer as the game has to offer. He has a terrific grasp of everything that's going on and he leads Farmer expertly when it's time to explain some of the intricacies in the action or go off on a tangent. ("Contrary to popular belief Goose Goslin and Heinie Manush were not close friends," Farmer interjected during a discussion of old-timers one day.) A former major league pitcher, Farmer calls play-by-play in the middle innings but he brings more of a fan's perspective to the mike. He and Rooney balance each other perfectly and they're there every single night.

A good example of how they work so well together came May 31 when the White Sox and Angels were tied going into the bottom of the ninth. Farmer came back from commercial and urged the Sox, "Let's go win it on a (Jermaine) Dye homer" before turning things over to Rooney. Three pitches later, Rooney described that exact scenario as Dye's blast cleared the fence with his trademark, "That's a White Sox winner!"

Reichardt
07-31-2005, 11:18 PM
I was also stunned that Hughes and Santo beat four other teams. Hughes job reminds me of a father taking his eight-year old daughter to her first game and trying to keep her interested.

Actual dialogue from the Cub's broadcast today:

Hughes: When I think about the 1984 team Sandberg, Dernier and Sarge Matthews come to mind.

Santo: Grace.. I would have to say Grace.

Hughes: Mark Grace was on the 1989 team.

Santo: Uh... yeah...but he's there (Cooperstown) today.

tebman
07-31-2005, 11:24 PM
Actual dialogue from the Cub's broadcast today:

Hughes: When I think about the 1984 team Sandberg, Dernier and Sarge Matthews come to mind.

Santo: Grace.. I would have to say Grace.

Hughes: Mark Grace was on the 1989 team.

Santo: Uh... yeah...but he's there (Cooperstown) today.
http://www.richsamuels.com/nbcmm/wls/1941/images/laurel_and_hardy.jpg"Isn't it a great day at Wrigley Field, Ron?"

TornLabrum
07-31-2005, 11:44 PM
http://www.richsamuels.com/nbcmm/wls/1941/images/laurel_and_hardy.jpg"Isn't it a great day at Wrigley Field, Ron?"

You insult Pat. Ollie was as dumb as Stan but didn't know it.

Fenway
08-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Interesting ratings

I think everyone would say Scully is the best and still has it at the age of 77

I think they were harsh on Tampa Bay