PDA

View Full Version : What is that cookie Viscaino always pitches?

GiveMeSox
07-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Everytime Viscaino gives up a game winner it seems to be the same pitch. Its some garbage rolling breaking ball or garbage weird fastball that runs from the middle of the plate in on righties (more like middle in). Its like a perfect pitch for any righty to crush. Its not fast, its moves in on righties and is easy to see the spin, I dont know what it is, but its the pitch he lost the game on today and the homer ManRam hit last week. Its comes in like 84-87 mph. What the heck is that cookie and why the heck does he keep throwing it, or the catcher keep calling it.

Mr. White Sox
07-27-2005, 11:32 PM
The pitch to Manny was a tailing inside fastball; the pitch that he most frequently loses games with is a hanging slider, which we saw today.

nordhagen
07-27-2005, 11:41 PM
The pitch to Manny was a tailing inside fastball; the pitch that he most frequently loses games with is a hanging slider, which we saw today.

The only time I'd like to see him hanging anything is when we're up or down by 10 runs. Viz-cay-ee-OH- NOOOOO!!!!!:gulp:

Lip Man 1
07-27-2005, 11:44 PM
The name of the pitch is called a 'meatball.'

Lip

BeviBall!
07-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Today's pitch was called the "I've pitched in each of the last 3 games and I have nothing left" pitch.

Mr. White Sox
07-27-2005, 11:47 PM
Today's pitch was called the "I've pitched in each of the last 3 games and I have nothing left" pitch.

It's a shame too, because those sliders to McEwing were pretty nasty.
It was the "Our bullpen is overworked so, once again, Ozzie will get the blame for the loss, not me" pitch. :smile:

BeviBall!
07-27-2005, 11:50 PM
It's a shame too, because those sliders to McEwing were pretty nasty.
It was the "Our bullpen is overworked so, once again, Ozzie will get the blame for the loss, not me" pitch. :smile:

I can't let this die... Ozzie pulled Garland because of Terrance 0-3 Long. OK. It's done.

brewcrew/chisox
07-28-2005, 12:08 AM
"With the score 5-all DeJesus led off the 13th with a single off Luis Vizcaino (4-5), the seventh White Sox pitcher. DeJesus took second on Chip Ambres' single. Sweeney's single to center loaded the bases and Brown ended the game with his third hit of the day.

``The shadows were so bad,'' Brown said. ``I swung and missed at a slider on the first pitch and must have looked awful. I couldn't pick it up at all. I swung where I thought it started and not where it finished. On the second pitch, I thought, `You're getting another slider. You took such a terrible swing at it. Stay short and through it.' ''

link (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=250727107)

slider=meatball

SoxFan78
07-28-2005, 10:00 AM

I am sick of hearing this excuse for Viscaino. Here are his last four games.

July 24 vs. Boston: 0.0 IP 1 BB
July 25 vs. Boston: 1.0 IP 1 SO
July 26 vs. Boston: 2.0 IP 1 BB
July 28 vs. KC: 0.1 IP 4 H 1 SO

So in the three games before yesterday, he pitched a total of three innings. Coming off those three innings, and a off day, he comes in and gives up four hits to the worst team in the AL?

Im sorry, but if he's too tired after those games, get off a MLB team.

He's worthless.

BeviBall!
07-28-2005, 10:18 AM

June 24 vs. Boston: 0.0 IP 1 BB
June 25 vs. Boston: 1.0 IP 1 SO
June 26 vs. Boston: 2.0 IP 1 BB
June 28 vs. KC: 0.1 IP 4 H 1 SO

So in the three games before yesterday, he pitched a total of three innings. Coming off those three innings, and a off day, he comes in and gives up four hits to the worst team in the AL?

He's worthless.

I kind of understand this, but bullpen pitchers are coddled and that's how they play. You rarely see someone from the pen throw that often, especially for more than one batter.

What's more puzzling is the fact that Ozzie has no problem using all of his bullpen guys but leaves AJ on the bench in the 12th with two on. Besides Dye, AJ is the hottest hitter on the club. Instead, we got to see Widger popping up to short on a 3-1 pitch.

Hangar18
07-28-2005, 11:45 AM
Someone tell me WHY this guy is still on the team?
With the very limited OFFENSE we have, we cant have firestarters like
him taking up space in the bullpen. As soon as he came in the game,
I turned to the 2 Cardinal fans who were watching the game also and said
"Games over gentleman". They looked confused and asked why was
the pitcher not been good lately ...... I said Just watch the inning .....
You'll see what im talking about .............
about 5 minutes later, they said if hes been that bad, why are we running him
out there.
In our defense, he was the last guy used..........our "last bullet" so to speak.
Frankly, if its xtra innings and our hit or miss offense cant win the game before Vizcaino, were done. we are truly a man short in the pen

maurice
07-28-2005, 12:13 PM
You rarely see someone from the pen throw that often, especially for more than one batter.

Right. It's how they're conditioned to play. Yesterday was Vizcaino's day off. Ozzie just bungled the situation . . . again. Folks need to stop scapegoating the guy who got screwed by his manager and consider what I posted in the post-game thread:

Vizcaino had given up exactly 1 ER in his previous 14 appearances / 18.2 IP, lowering his previously inflated ERA to 3.86 (about the same as last season's 3.75 ERA). In fact, Vizcaino had pitched progressively better every month since sucking up the month of April:
May - 5.23 ERA
June - 2.25 ERA
July - 0.68 ERA
This, in a nutshell, is why Vizcaino remains on the team while Takatsu was DFAed in favor of Jenks.

I'd also like to add that the loss might have something to do with the fact that the defense sucked and the offense failed to score in any of the last 7 innings, despite facing 2 pitchers with an ERA > 7.

Mercy!
07-28-2005, 01:52 PM

June 24 vs. Boston: 0.0 IP 1 BB
June 25 vs. Boston: 1.0 IP 1 SO
June 26 vs. Boston: 2.0 IP 1 BB
June 28 vs. KC: 0.1 IP 4 H 1 SO

He's worthless.
Oh, okay. But what did he do in July?:?:
He's "worthless"? Scary analysis.

GoGoSoxReborn
07-28-2005, 02:02 PM
I kind of understand this, but bullpen pitchers are coddled and that's how they play. You rarely see someone from the pen throw that often, especially for more than one batter.

What's more puzzling is the fact that Ozzie has no problem using all of his bullpen guys but leaves AJ on the bench in the 12th with two on. Besides Dye, AJ is the hottest hitter on the club. Instead, we got to see Widger popping up to short on a 3-1 pitch.

Well we might as well just
:fireozzie

:rolleyes:

BeviBall!
07-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Well we might as well just
:fireozzie

:rolleyes:

If that decision was based on yesterday alone, yes. But Ozzie's pro's far outweigh his cons... just makes for frustrating viewing sometimes. I can live with this in July... October however. I think and hope we'll see a very different, and better, appoach from Oz.