PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Quote On Bullpen

Lip Man 1
07-27-2005, 11:14 PM
From White Sox.com:

"You're always concerned about your pitching staff, my bullpen is always a big concern because of Hermanson's back and the closing situation, we don't know what we're going to do if he goes down. We'd have a little trouble. Right now, I'm pushing for something [that would help in] an emergency. I need a legit bullpen guy"

Ozzie seems to be changing his tune from 'we don't need anything...' Good...it's about damn time.

Make the moves Kenny starting with dumping Harris

Lip

BeviBall!
07-27-2005, 11:16 PM
gong!

DickAllen72
07-27-2005, 11:24 PM
gong!

It would have been nice to hear that gong again. :(:

elrod
07-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Eddie Guardado?

JB98
07-27-2005, 11:28 PM

Just what the hell is going to happen to Shingo? The rule is you have 10 days to trade him, release him or outright him or whatever. El Duque was activated July 18. Tomorrow is July 28. Ten days is up.

Mr. White Sox
07-27-2005, 11:30 PM
minors, released, or he's retiring...right?

Lip Man 1
07-27-2005, 11:32 PM
Shingo's deadline is 2PM Chicago time tomorrow.

And in a story in the Tribune tonight Ozzie seems to contradict the statement he made to the reporter on White Sox.com.

"and my pen is always a concern because of [Dustin] Hermanson's back, and we don't know what we're going to do about the closing situation if Hermy goes down. We're going to have a little trouble. But I'm not pushing for something we need because of an emergency. I'll stick with the same guys."

I have no idea what Ozzie's thinking, the probablity is he doesn't either.

Lip

Jjav829
07-27-2005, 11:33 PM

Yeah, you're right. It would be great to hear them play the gong as Shingo enters from the bullpen in the 9th inning....the opposing teams bullpen. That's about it. I'd like to see what we could do against him.

BeviBall!
07-27-2005, 11:36 PM
Shingo's deadline is 2PM Chicago time tomorrow.

And in a story in the Tribune tonight Ozzie seems to contradict the statement he made to the reporter on White Sox.com.

"and my pen is always a concern because of [Dustin] Hermanson's back, and we don't know what we're going to do about the closing situation if Hermy goes down. We're going to have a little trouble. But I'm not pushing for something we need because of an emergency. I'll stick with the same guys."

Lip

He needs a stockpile of leftys just to bring in to face Terrance Long.

Jjav829
07-27-2005, 11:37 PM

I don't think Ozzie is saying what he truly means. In truth, I'm sure Ozzie would say that he would like another bat, or another reliever or starter. He's just playing the role of good manager, sticking up for his guys. I'm sure Ozzie recognizes the areas where an upgrade would help, but he doesn't want to say anything bad about the guys he currently has. Besides, it helps in the negotiating process. If Kenny and Ozzie are both saying the Sox don't need any help, it at least plants a seed in the minds of the other GMs that the Sox aren't desperate to make a move.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2005, 11:41 PM
Jjav:

Understood... however look at the quote to the reporter from White Sox.com. It completely contradicts what he told Mark Gonzales of the Tribune.

What the hell is going on? One or the other Ozzie...which is it?

Lip

samram
07-27-2005, 11:42 PM
Yeah, you're right. It would be great to hear them play the gong as Shingo enters from the bullpen in the 9th inning....the opposing teams bullpen. That's about it. I'd like to see what we could do against him.

Hehe. I can just imagine Carl, AJ, Gload, and Timo getting in a fight at the bat rack.

JB98
07-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Hehe. I can just imagine Carl, AJ, Gload, and Timo getting in a fight at the bat rack.

Actually, Shingo was having more trouble with right-handers than left-handers, especially earlier in the year. It didn't make any sense.

bafiarocks03
07-27-2005, 11:46 PM
let's just keep Willie!! No trading..no nothing! Just stay the team we are! We'll be fine! Willie Stays!

SABRSox
07-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Eddie Guardado?

He'd do just fine. But I have a feeling the Mariners will want more than we're willing to give for him.

samram
Actually, Shingo was having more trouble with right-handers than left-handers, especially earlier in the year. It didn't make any sense.

Well, now the fight just got bigger. Hell, if we want Frank to heal quickly, just tell him Shingo's coming out of the bullpen for Baltimore Friday night.

BeviBall!
let's just keep Willie!! No trading..no nothing! Just stay the team we are! We'll be fine! Willie Stays!

Well now, I'm convinced. Hooray for life!

Jjav829
07-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Jjav:

Understood... however look at the quote to the reporter from White Sox.com. It completely contradicts what he told Mark Gonzales of the Tribune.

Lip

I don't know, Lip. They certainly do contradict each other. Ozzie is normally a pretty honest guy, but I think he's holding back right now, just trying to defend his players. The quote on whitesox.com was probably just a brief moment on candor where he said what he really thought about the need for bullpen help.

mjmcend
07-28-2005, 02:06 AM
Hell those quotes are so similar in phrasing, but of course not in meaning, I wonder if they just couldn't understand him and just took their best guess.

doublem23
07-28-2005, 02:32 AM
Probably the same quote. Nobody can understand what Ozzie is saying half the time, anyway. :rolleyes:

Optipessimism
07-28-2005, 02:36 AM

Sorry, I think Willie just sealed his fate the last time he got a start. At first, his defense was okay but he wasn't hitting. He showed just recently that when he does hit, he doesn't have a clue in the field. He can't lay down the bunt, can't advance a runner. As much as I've wanted Willie to succeed, it just isn't happening. I do think, however, that he stays with the Sox (in AAA of course) until the offseason, unless we trade him for Eyre who I think we will get very soon.

Iwritecode
07-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Probably the same quote. Nobody can understand what Ozzie is saying half the time, anyway. :rolleyes:

It is the exact same quote. One just has the word "not" in it. The last sentence is different too...

"my bullpen is always a big concern because of Hermanson's back and the closing situation, we don't know what we're going to do if he goes down. We'd have a little trouble. Right now, I'm pushing for something [that would help in] an emergency. I need a legit bullpen guy"

kittle42
07-28-2005, 11:18 AM

Even putting your inexplicable Willie love aside, this notion is ludicrous.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-28-2005, 11:19 AM
Ozzie- How about not pulling Jon Garland after 88 pitches against KC?!!! That might help the bullpen.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Sorry, I think Willie just sealed his fate the last time he got a start. At first, his defense was okay but he wasn't hitting. He showed just recently that when he does hit, he doesn't have a clue in the field. He can't lay down the bunt, can't advance a runner. As much as I've wanted Willie to succeed, it just isn't happening. I do think, however, that he stays with the Sox (in AAA of course) until the offseason, unless we trade him for Eyre who I think we will get very soon.

And now Willie has big time trouble on pop-ups in short Right Field. My guess is Magglio's left a dent in his head he can't forget. If you are going for a ring, every guy on your roster has to be able to contribute. To have a guy like Willie who cannot (after the trade dead line) would be inexcusable by Kenny. I'm sure Kenny will do something.

fquaye149
07-28-2005, 11:51 AM

Yeah it would have been nice yesterday for sure. We all could have skipped those last 3 innings had he been pitching in the 9th

voodoochile
07-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Jjav:

Lip

Am I the only one who notices the wording is almost exactly the same except for the final little bit?

Does it look like the two reporters heard the exact same quote and bungled it or is it just me?

Edit: No, I am not the only one, merely the latest...:D:

maurice
07-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Ozzie previously said that, when KW asks him what he wants, he always says "pitching pitching pitching" and gave a glowing assessment of Burnett. He can't keep repeating this in the media, because it alienates his players, so he expresses confidence in the guys he has. It might be a bit contradictory, but it's good policy.

:walnuts
"Huh?"