PDA

View Full Version : Today's WINING Pick to Click!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-26-2001, 09:13 PM
Maybe the bullpen should get a start more often?

"Hi Ho. Hi Ho. It's off to work we go!":glove :ginter :walk :keith

"Bullpen" is the winner.

Totally Biased Game Recap (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/Headlines/July/Biased0726.htm)

More to follow.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 09:17 PM
What the hell is this BS?
Everyone should get a point then since nobody picked the bullpen, and I have to question why Howry is in that group photo. He pitched out of jams that he created. Well either way the Sox win and the Tribe Lost as did the Cub!

Jjav829
07-26-2001, 09:20 PM
I think he means anyone out on the bullpen. So anyone who picks Glover, Ginter, Howry, or Foulke. BTW...I did pick Glover.

Daver
07-26-2001, 09:21 PM
Hey Jerry,

JUST TAKE IT.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-26-2001, 09:23 PM
I respectfully dissent with your PTC winner.

I think the big guy shoulda got it this time.

:canseco

3-3 2 runs scored , 3 RBI and a 3 run bomb that proved to be the game winner.

"Hello!!!!"

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 09:25 PM
Daver came up with this gem:
Hey Jerry, JUST TAKE IT.

For once we agree I should take it and shut up.

Daver
07-26-2001, 09:27 PM
I think NUKE CLEVELAND picked the nit wit,what do you think?

Jjav829
07-26-2001, 09:29 PM
I don't think NUKE played today.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-26-2001, 09:29 PM
Taken directly from the PTC game rules...

"Picks to Click" Contest Rules

1. The winning "Pick to Click" is the Sox player of the game. All members of the Sox roster are eligible. Choosing "bullpen" is okay, but does not qualify if an individual reliever wins PTC. Win or lose, a winning Pick to Click will be chosen each game.

Now you knew Baldwin wasn't available and the bullpen would play a key role in any victory, so I'm surprised to learn nobody thought to pick them.

Canseco had a hell of a game. At least he knew what his role would be and wasn't called upon to do something extraordinary tonight.

"Bullpen" really wasn't that tough a choice.

Pick to Click contest rules (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/MainPages/PTCrules.htm)

Jjav829
07-26-2001, 09:30 PM
Do I get credit for picking Glover?

i ate canada
07-26-2001, 09:32 PM
Royce was robbed again! This game is crooked!

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 09:36 PM
1. The winning "Pick to Click" is the Sox player of the game. All members of the Sox roster are eligible. Choosing "bullpen" is okay, but does not qualify if an individual reliever wins PTC. Win or lose, a winning Pick to Click will be chosen each game.

:hitless
The fix is in, someone is makng the rules up as they go along.
I'm taking my glove and going home.

:KW
This is really starting to piss me off!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-26-2001, 09:45 PM
Do I get credit for picking Glover?

Again, quoting the rules which were created nearly a full-year ago (mostly to protect me from Shoeless Joe):

"Choosing 'bullpen' is okay, but does not qualify if an individual reliever wins PTC."

In this case, the bullpen was chosen. Note that Glover didn't even get the win because he didn't meet the requirements for earning a win by MLB's rules. Had he pitched five innings, Glover might have won PTC.

If nobody picked "bullpen", nobody won.

It's time like this I'm glad I'm in a room far, far away from all of you!

:)

Jjav829
07-26-2001, 10:16 PM
Why is Glovers picture in there then? Glover was not part of the bullpen. You can't be considered a part of the bullpen if you start a game. Also that "bullpens" ERA was over 4.00 where my boy Glovers was just over 3.00. Ok ok ok I'll stop. :)

PaleHoseGeorge
07-26-2001, 10:31 PM
Good one, Jav. You had me going. It's funny we created the "bullpen" rule last August when Shoeless Joe was dogging me about another PTC he didn't agree with. Now a year later I'm getting dogged again over the same thing, LOL!

ode to veeck
07-26-2001, 10:58 PM
no reason to dog George, the bullpen deserved it tonight, when's the last time they held for 4 or 5 innings, let alone 9 (gee if Jerry woulda knwon they could go 9 last night, maybe he'da pulled Rocked when he got rocked in the 2nd or 3rd!)

even though Jose kicked butt w/3 for 3, ribbies and the big HR, you expect that from him once in a while, but who'da thunk it about the pen coming through tonight ...

... and like Royce's hitting of late, where the HELL were they the first 80 days of the season!? @$(*&@$(*

so no problem with them as PTC tonight (I didn't know you could do it, but then I'm usally one to underestimate GOD)

Royce may be batting 300 since June or something ridiculous, but I did see him leave some baserunners tonight when a clutch hit woulda been nice

too bad about JB, woulda liked to see us get the draft pick by who picked him up as a free agent aafter the season

Tragg
07-26-2001, 11:18 PM
Glover was in the rotation, so the bullpen went 5 2/3 and gave up 3 earned runs, an ERA around 5!!!

I've never played this game, but a 5.00 doesn't seem like a pick to click to me in a win vs. the indians.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-26-2001, 11:50 PM
Now really, the Sox had a starting pitcher in name only. Glover hasn't started a game all season. Baldwin was suppose to start, and none of the other starters were available.

Somebody has to pitch the first inning. Manuel pulled Glover in the fourth inning even though he had the lead. That would never happen with a real starting pitcher unless he was injured. He didn't qualify for a win.

That was an extraordinary game for the Sox to win. The bullpen pitched all nine innings.

Tonight was the perfect set up for a savvy PTC contestant to choose "bullpen" because obviously there would be no true starting pitcher. I have a renewed appreciation for what a thoughtful guy old Shoeless Joe was when he insisted on this rule last August.

Believe me, this wasn't my idea.

Jjav829
07-26-2001, 11:58 PM
Maybe if we understood the rule we would have picked the bullpen. Also, by name or not, Glover was still a starting pitcher and not out of the bullpen.

FarWestChicago
07-27-2001, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Maybe if we understood the rule we would have picked the bullpen.

It is not the WSI umpire's fault if people don't read rules that have been posted for a year. They are right there at the top of the page. It's not like you lost a thousand bucks or anything, either.

Jjav829
07-27-2001, 12:15 AM
Uh oh...you sound serious.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-27-2001, 12:17 AM
Maybe if we understood the rule we would have picked the bullpen. Also, by name or not, Glover was still a starting pitcher and not out of the bullpen.

I don't get it. How could I make this contest any simpler? How could I make the rules any simpler? How could I place links to the rules any more prominently than at the top of the PTC message board and the PTC scoreboard, too? How could I make the prize any more frivolous? It used to be that this game was about FUN, not winning a case of Hamm's.

It was Shoeless Joe who pounded me for awarding PTC to a reliever last year when several in the bullpen were good enough to win it. That's how the "bullpen" option was created. It figures now I'm gettng pounded in the opposite direction. I can't win.

For the record, Dave Wills gave his award to the Sox bullpen during his post-game show, too. And yes, he counted Gary Glover in that number. I don't always agree with him but I did this evening.

I'm just a simple umpire with a dirty job to do!

Jjav829
07-27-2001, 12:19 AM
I'm just a simple umpire with a dirty job to do!

Are you Ted Barrett?

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2001, 12:25 AM
Are you Ted Barrett?

PHG do what my signature says "Just Take It", man that was funny.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-27-2001, 12:26 AM
Are you Ted Barrett?

Actually Jav, when I wrote that, I was thinking the same thing!

"1-2-3, yer out, Jeff Liefer!"

(I've still got time to order room service back at the hotel)

Jjav829
07-27-2001, 12:29 AM
Can umpires be chosen for PTC?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-27-2001, 12:34 AM
Can umpires be chosen for PTC?

The WSI umpire IS NOT eligible to win PTC.

The WSI umpire IS eligible to accept bribes.

Jjav829
07-27-2001, 12:37 AM
The WSI umpire IS NOT eligible to win PTC.

I meant baseball umpires.

The WSI umpire IS eligible to accept bribes.

Do you accept checks?

ode to veeck
07-27-2001, 12:38 AM
I think the game ump got the PTC for the Toons the other night ...

PaleHoseGeorge
07-27-2001, 12:43 AM
1. Only Sox players on the active roster are eligible for PTC and "bullpen". That's what the rules state. You might want to brush up on them (ahem).

2. The WSI umpire only accepts bribes in cash, small denominations, and unmarked bills.

Many thanks!

Jjav829
07-27-2001, 12:47 AM
Ok..Im done joking around as it apparently has been mistaken, so I'll stop and act serious again.

CLR01
07-27-2001, 01:09 AM
Do you accept checks?

Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
2. The WSI umpire only accepts bribes in cash, small denominations, and unmarked bills.

I on the other hand accept cash, small bills. large bills, unmarked/ marked, it doesnt really matter(no lose change). I also accept personal checks, certified cashiers checks, money orders, pay pal, credit cards (Mastercard, Visa, American Express....sorry no diners club or Discover) and American Express Travelers checks. And it would be alot easier for me to add a point to your score every other day or every third day, than for the Umpire to explain why a guy that did not play is the winning PTC.

Jjav829
07-27-2001, 01:11 AM
AHHH...WHy do all you people think Im serious?!?!?!

doublem23
07-27-2001, 01:14 AM
AHHH...WHy do all you people think Im serious?!?!?!

I don't think PHG or CLR are being serious, but if some of those small, unmarked bills are lying around... they could find a home with me...

Joel Perez
07-27-2001, 08:57 AM
You mean to tell me that you're picking a "bullpen" that allowed four runs over a guy that was 3-3 with 3 RBI's, 2 runs scored and a 3-run homer to boot? GEEZ, and I thought the media was crooked!!!!

:canseco I was robbed! Time to make it up!

Just my opionion George--wrong PTC choice.

If the "bullpen" shut-out the whole Indian team, then I can see it. But not allowing four runs. Because of what Bobby Howry did, that should've DQ'd them for contention.

Just my opinion.

rmusacch
07-27-2001, 09:09 AM
Hey George, you need us to take care of the whiners? It is just a stupid game.

:sopranos

PaleHoseGeorge
07-27-2001, 09:22 AM
Hey George, you need us to take care of the whiners? It is just a stupid game.

It's like the old pine tar rule. The fact that George Brett was confused and very upset didn't make him any less wrong!

(Okay, now I've stirred it up again).

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2001, 09:40 AM
PaleHoseGeorge told us:
(Okay, now I've stirred it up again).

:moron
Looks like you have learned from the master!