PDA

View Full Version : Wheres Chris "Sox Fans are Bush League" Berman ??

Hangar18
07-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Apparently, TV audio Caught the few hundreds of "fans" who were left .........
hurling very crude and low-brow insults and cussing towards LaTroy Hawkins. I know had this happened at Comiskey, this wouldve been on ESPN, all the media outlets, and the topic of boobs like Berman and Mike Greenberg "are fans insults too much?"

Apparently, the "myth" of Drunken, witless Frat Boys going to cub games isnt so much a myth anymore ........Whew, glad that wasnt us.

Madvora
07-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Apparently, TV audio Caught the few hundreds of "fans" who were left .........
hurling very crude and low-brow insults and cussing towards LaTroy Hawkins. I know had this happened at Comiskey, this wouldve been on ESPN, all the media outlets, and the topic of boobs like Berman and Mike Greenberg "are fans insults too much?"

Apparently, the "myth" of Drunken, witless Frat Boys going to cub games isnt so much a myth anymore ........Whew, glad that wasnt us.
This is a very confusing post. Are you talking about fans insulting Hawkins last night at the Cubs game? What do the Sox have to do with this? Did Berman mention the Sox?

SOXPHILE
07-27-2005, 02:37 PM
This is a very confusing post. Are you talking about fans insulting Hawkins last night at the Cubs game? What do the Sox have to do with this? Did Berman mention the Sox?

No, what Hangar is referring to is when Sox fans booed Jerry Manuel at the 2003 All Star Game, and Berman said it was bush league, and made a few other remarks about how Sox fans are showing no class.
As far as where is Berman ? My guess would be to check the line at a buffet restaurant near you. He may quite well be there.

Hangar18
07-27-2005, 02:40 PM

OH, let me clear this up. Chris Berman took SOX fans to task and made us look bad because we BOOOED the The Messiah and Wood during the AllStar Game introductions. He said we were "Bush" league. What some of the blue-sheep fans apparently did last nite was far worse....... But no comment
by ol Chris Berman now is there? Berman is Bush League

Madvora
07-27-2005, 02:59 PM
OH, let me clear this up. Chris Berman took SOX fans to task and made us look bad because we BOOOED the The Messiah and Wood during the AllStar Game introductions. He said we were "Bush" league. What some of the blue-sheep fans apparently did last nite was far worse....... But no comment
by ol Chris Berman now is there? Berman is Bush League
Yeah, I know about the All-Star incident, I just didn't get the whole idea of your post clearly the first time. I don't see any big deal, players get booed at their old park all the time.

Rocklive99
07-27-2005, 03:09 PM
The man speaks the truth, if it were Sox fans who sent hate mail filled with racist remarks to a player, it would've had an "Outside the Lines" devoted to it, but it got brushed under the pillow when it happened on the other side of town. Just like 'fans' throwing things on the field and opposing players (e.g. beer being poored on Griffey during a game), no national coverage on that

Hangar18
07-27-2005, 03:24 PM
I don't see any big deal, players get booed at their old park all the time.

LaTroy wasnt "booed", he was called a whole bunch of names and had chants
that were personal in nature, as well as vulgar. As much as we dont like the Cubs, we dont "boo" this way, were WAY TOO CREATIVE. I brought this up because had it been SOX fans who did this ....... HOOO BOY you wouldve heard about this all over the papers, ESPN and the radio-talk shows

1951Campbell
07-27-2005, 04:25 PM
that were personal in nature, as well as vulgar. As much as we dont like the Cubs, we dont "boo" this way, were WAY TOO CREATIVE. I brought this up because had it been SOX fans who did this ....... HOOO BOY you wouldve heard about this all over the papers, ESPN and the radio-talk shows

Vuglar as in the N-word?

whitesoxfan
07-27-2005, 05:03 PM

the chants were "Haw-kins" and "Hawkins Sucks."

but i have heard of where Hawkins got some pretty nasty hate mail. That is really sad.

MarySwiss
07-27-2005, 05:16 PM
I think we can all agree that Hawkins was a pretty bad reliever--even by Cubs standards!--but Hanger's point is well-taken. Anytime someone behaves badly at a Sox game--even if the "someone" is boarderline human and not remotely a Sox fan--all Sox fans get skewered in the media. Torn Labrum has made this point over and over as well.

But Cubs fans can get away with this kind of crap repeatedly and never be called out for it.

I know, there'll be a bunch of Sox fans who'll say, "Who Cares!"

I do---and so do you!

TommyJohn
07-27-2005, 05:27 PM
I think we can all agree that Hawkins was a pretty bad reliever--even by Cubs standards!--but Hanger's point is well-taken. Anytime someone behaves badly at a Sox game--even if the "someone" is boarderline human and not remotely a Sox fan--all Sox fans get skewered in the media. Torn Labrum has made this point over and over as well.

But Cubs fans can get away with this kind of crap repeatedly and never be called out for it.

I know, there'll be a bunch of Sox fans who'll say, "Who Cares!"

I do---and so do you!

You're right on this count. As much as I try to ignore the media, all of you
are correct. If Sox fans showered Takatsu or Marte with racial epithets it
would have been page 1 news here and on ESPN. Jay Mariotti, Greg Couch
and Rick Telander would have written articles portraying all White Sox fans
as foul, racist, barely human filth. I think our buddy Jack Higgins would have
gotten into the act as well. He has drawn unflattering cartoons of Sox fans
as fat-gutted, foul-mouthed trash whenever there was an incident at USCF,
but was strangely silent whenever something happened at Wrigley. (Trash
on the field, fight with Dodger bullpen, mindless mob screaming for and
trashing Bartman). The very day that it would've come out, I'm sure Jack
would've drawn a cartoon showing fat-gutted, foul-mouthed trash in white
sheets burning crosses and showering said player with epithets.

You know what? I understand what makes a guy like Hangar tick, and what
ticks him off. And PHG and everyone else who despises the sports media.

Vernam
07-27-2005, 07:07 PM
It's 7:04 p.m. central time, and WMVP is about to air Derek Lee's post-game comments regarding Cub fans' heckling of Hawkins.

VC

Vernam
07-27-2005, 07:16 PM
From WMVP:

Lee's comments on the heckling: It was a little classless. Boo him and move on. The "Hawkins Sucks" was a little overboard for me.
Hawkins: How can you not hear it? I've got a job to do. I make enough money to handle that sh*t.
Levine: So personal, I've never heard anything like it. There is a changing breed of Cub fans. Hendry and Baker have raised the bar of what the Cubs could or should do re: competing for a World Series. The scalping of tickets -- including Trib Co's own scalping -- is part of the issue, where people think they're paying top dollar for a top product. The fan problems are mostly at late games where people are more over-served, compared to day games. It's a changing environment. The old-time Cub fans haven't changed, but they can't easily get into the park because of all the new fans.
Dempster: As an opposing player, I could count on one hand how many times the Cubs got booed from '98 to '03. Now it happens that often on every homestand. <sniffle>

The WMVP guys emphasized that Lee was saying this one act by the fans was classless, not that they're classless in general.

Maybe the worm is turning, just a little . . .

VC

TornLabrum
07-27-2005, 07:27 PM
From WMVP:

Lee's comments on the heckling: It was a little classless. Boo him and move on. The "Hawkins Sucks" was a little overboard for me.
Hawkins: How can you not hear it? I've got a job to do. I make enough money to handle that sh*t.
Levine: So personal, I've never heard anything like it. There is a changing breed of Cub fans. Hendry and Baker have raised the bar of what the Cubs could or should do re: competing for a World Series. The scalping of tickets -- including Trib Co's own scalping -- is part of the issue, where people think they're paying top dollar for a top product. The fan problems are mostly at late games where people are more over-served, compared to day games. It's a changing environment. The old-time Cub fans haven't changed, but they can't easily get into the park because of all the new fans.
Dempster: As an opposing player, I could count on one hand how many times the Cubs got booed from '98 to '03. Now it happens that often on every homestand. <sniffle>

The WMVP guys emphasized that Lee was saying this one act by the fans was classless, not that they're classless in general.

Maybe the worm is turning, just a little . . .

VC

Don't worry. Before long someone in the media will bring up Ligue and Dybas to show that Sox fans have even less class.

PatK
07-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Vuglar as in the N-word?

According to my Cubs fan cousin, who was at the game yesterday with his son, yes.

Hangar18
07-28-2005, 09:24 AM
According to my Cubs fan cousin, who was at the game yesterday with his son, yes.

YES, those words were apparently being said, along with all the other typical sports taunts. What made that so bad was that there was hardly anyone left at the Wrigley Stadium, it was very late way past midnite. All 400 drunk buffoon frat boys left, were having the time of their lives harassing LaTroy and it was being caught on the radio and tv microphones. He was obviously not liking it, and some of the players from BOTH teams were noticing it. I remember thinking EXCELLENT, the Chicago Media is going to be FORCED to talk about the true classlessness of Cub fans tomorrow, theres NO WAY they can dodge this bullet.

But just like the Murder at clark and addison, this was OVERLOOKED conveniently, and of course 2 days later, Both papers and TV outlets are NOW RUNNING STORIES ABOUT THE INCIDENT.

Who says the Chicago Media isnt biased?

itsnotrequired
07-28-2005, 09:29 AM
YES, those words were apparently being said, along with all the other typical sports taunts. What made that so bad was that there was hardly anyone left at the Wrigley Stadium, it was very late way past midnite. All 400 drunk buffoon frat boys left, were having the time of their lives harassing LaTroy and it was being caught on the radio and tv microphones. He was obviously not liking it, and some of the players from BOTH teams were noticing it. I remember thinking EXCELLENT, the Chicago Media is going to be FORCED to talk about the true classlessness of Cub fans tomorrow, theres NO WAY they can dodge this bullet.

But just like the Murder at clark and addison, this was OVERLOOKED conveniently, and of course 2 days later, Both papers and TV outlets are NOW RUNNING STORIES ABOUT THE INCIDENT.

Who says the Chicago Media isnt biased?

I remember Hawkins talking about all the nasty letters he received after he blew a bunch of saves at the beginning of the season. Same stuff being said at the game was written in the letters.

Classy "fans".:angry:

cheeses_h_rice
07-28-2005, 09:36 AM
This is a big topic of discussion on Silvy & Carm's show on AM1000 this morning.

jackbrohamer
07-28-2005, 09:44 AM
From WMVP:
Levine: So personal, I've never heard anything like it. There is a changing breed of Cub fans. Hendry and Baker have raised the bar of what the Cubs could or should do re: competing for a World Series.

That is ridiculous, Cub fans have always been that obnoxious. That basket they put on top of the outfield wall in the late `60's is there to prevent fans from thrrowing things at opposing outfielders.

TommyJohn
07-28-2005, 09:54 AM
This is a big topic of discussion on Silvy & Carm's show on AM1000 this morning.

Did I hear correctly? I could swear I just heard Barry Rozner basically blame
Hawkins for all the booing. He said opinions aren't accepted the way they
used to be, and that people should watch what they say. He cited Hawkins
as an example.

cheeses_h_rice
07-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Did I hear correctly? I could swear I just heard Barry Rozner basically blame
Hawkins for all the booing. He said opinions aren't accepted the way they
used to be, and that people should watch what they say. He cited Hawkins
as an example.

It sounded more like a lament against the "p.c." nature of society today, or something...

Hangar18
07-28-2005, 10:22 AM
It sounded more like a lament against the "p.c." nature of society today, or something...

It sounds more like Cub fans are getting a FREE PASS yet again. Anyone remember the Cell phone incident against the Padres? someone tossed a Cell phone at a player and missed? Story was stonewalled. But we did find out that Ligue got a Ticket driving didnt we.

itsnotrequired
07-28-2005, 10:26 AM

Yeah, bring on the good ol' days when one could simply hurl some racial slurs at a player and consider it a job well done.:rolleyes:

mccoydp
07-28-2005, 10:27 AM
My guess would be to check the line at a buffet restaurant near you. He may quite well be there.

Also see: Kruk, John.

TornLabrum
07-28-2005, 10:28 AM

So was Rozner also blaming him for the racial epithets that were heard on radio and TV? The dislike for racial epithets has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with ignorance at best and hatred at worst.

Jerko
07-28-2005, 10:34 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again, (and I see Dusty finally chimed in): let the Cub fans keep acting like *******s and see how many players want to come to/stay with those losers. The eventual undoing of that **** organization will eventually be because of the throngs of morons that love them so. Sweet irony. Soon enough they'll be back to their lovable loser selves.

cheeses_h_rice
07-28-2005, 10:44 AM
So was Rozner also blaming him for the racial epithets that were heard on radio and TV? The dislike for racial epithets has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with ignorance at best and hatred at worst.

AFAIK, the racial angle was not being discussed at all, just the booing and chants of "Hawkins sucks," etc. I have not heard anyone on sports radio today even so much as mention that racial epithets were used...are we positive that this happened?

TornLabrum
07-28-2005, 10:50 AM
AFAIK, the racial angle was not being discussed at all, just the booing and chants of "Hawkins sucks," etc. I have not heard anyone on sports radio today even so much as mention that racial epithets were used...are we positive that this happened?

I wasn't watching the game, so I'm only going on what was written here.

jdm2662
07-28-2005, 10:53 AM
I see nothing wrong with booing and chanting Hawkins sucks and stuff like that. However, if there were racial bombs being yelled, then it's an issue. I don't know if it happened because I wasn't there, and I wasn't watching. However, when there are so few people in the stands, it's much easier to hear people yelling. Then again, it's the Cubbie fans. They are so cute and cuddley. How dare anyone say anything bad about them! They love their Cubbies.
________
Vaporizer Benefits (http://vaporizer.org/)

chaerulez
07-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Hawkins deserved to get boos. I think if you heard anything out of line, it's probably a very select few drunken frat boy morons. The chant that was heard on television was just "Hawkins Sucks", which there's nothing wrong in saying.

slavko
07-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Cubune sports section dealt with it in several places today, so they are being forthcoming about it happening.

Tekijawa
07-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Cubune sports section dealt with it in several places today, so they are being forthcoming about it happening.

Here it is:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-0507280294jul28,1,313893.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Dusty Seems to want to Brush over it...

Vernam
07-28-2005, 01:29 PM
AFAIK, the racial angle was not being discussed at all, just the booing and chants of "Hawkins sucks," etc. I have not heard anyone on sports radio today even so much as mention that racial epithets were used...are we positive that this happened?I'm not positive about what the creeps were yelling, but I detect a pattern in who they single out as scapegoats: Hawkins, Dusty, Patterson. They're far from the only mediocre members of the organization, so the commonality is striking.

VC