PDA

View Full Version : Which teams SHOULD change uniforms?

Church Turtle
07-27-2005, 01:53 PM
OK, the "Uniform Change" thread brought this question to my mind...

What team(s) SHOULD change their unis? I mean most of us agree the SOX have great uniforms now. But some teams have rotten uniforms.
I personally think the Astros should keep a uniform similar to what they have now, but bring back the H with the Star on it blue hats with orange hats for Sundays. The Nationals should drop the DC logo all together. The Devil Rays - where to start? And the Diamondbacks, I hate all their uniforms and most of their hats. (I'm really not a negative guy. So on a positive note I will reitierate that the SOX have the best uniform and hat in MLB bar none!):bandance:

Sox of White
07-27-2005, 02:31 PM
I love the retro Astro uniforms with the big stripe in the middle similar to that one retro Sox uniform. Astros should switch to those.

The old Pirates uniforms are awesome too. I love those old hats.

But, the team that should change their uniforms would have to be the Metropolitans. Those black ones are bad.

RKMeibalane
07-27-2005, 02:49 PM
1. Mets (remove the black and bring back the classic blue/orange scheme)
2. Diamondbacks (anything is better than what they have now)
3. Marlins (get rid of the excess black in uniform lettering; the teal was fine)
4. Red Sox (get rid of the red day-game uniforms)
5. Cubs (no more pajamas, please)
6. Braves (see Red Sox)
7. Astros (remove the penstripes; use red hats at home, blue, on the road)

doublem23
07-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Pining for the "retro" Astro and Pirates uniforms?

:chunks:

Colorado needs to loose the silver-lined vest. The Padres need to lose the "sand" road jerseys. The Royals and Mets need to take black out of their repitoir. The Orioles and Angels need to write their city name on their road jerseys (team nicknames should not be allowed on road greys). Personally I don't think teams should be allowed more than 3 distinct uniforms; one home, one road, one alternate and no more than 2 hats, one regular and one alternate. This isn't the ****in' NBA.

Banix12
07-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Oh god it has to be Toronto. They should have never changed their uniforms to look more like the Devil Rays. While I really liked their old uniforms, especially the hat with the blue jay head in front of a red maple leaf, I'll take anything else but what they currently have.

skobabe8
07-27-2005, 06:17 PM
Oh god it has to be Toronto. They should have never changed their uniforms to look more like the Devil Rays. While I really liked their old uniforms, especially the hat with the blue jay head in front of a red maple leaf, I'll take anything else but what they currently have.

Another vote for the Black Jays!

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/images/2005/07/26/CCMYaZVm.jpg

Malgar 12
07-27-2005, 06:27 PM
padres

LuvSox
07-27-2005, 07:07 PM

No kidding. I still don't get the retro thing.

Vernam
07-27-2005, 07:41 PM
I love the retro Astro uniforms with the big stripe in the middle similar to that one retro Sox uniform. Astros should switch to those.

The old Pirates uniforms are awesome too. I love those old hats.Wait while I check Sox of White's user profile . . . Just as I thought: You didn't actually live through the 70s, did you?

It does amuse me when people are nostalgic for the 70s (not the 80s -- there's nothing amusing about that), because all through the 70s, young people lamented that they'd missed the 60s. Which was really crazy, but that's for the Roadhouse. :smile:

As for bad uniforms, the Mariners' are beyond wimpy.

VC

PaleHoseGeorge
07-27-2005, 08:02 PM

Colorado needs to loose the silver-lined vest. The Padres need to lose the "sand" road jerseys. The Royals and Mets need to take black out of their repitoir. The Orioles and Angels need to write their city name on their road jerseys (team nicknames should not be allowed on road greys). Personally I don't think teams should be allowed more than 3 distinct uniforms; one home, one road, one alternate and no more than 2 hats, one regular and one alternate. This isn't the ****in' NBA.

:hawk
"DoubleM, I luv it when you analyze."

SABRSox
07-27-2005, 08:07 PM
I think the Dodgers need to put players names back on the jerseys. With all the AAA players they've called up this season, I haven't had a clue who's been playing.

Then again, I'm only a casual Dodgers fan. My obsession still lies with the White Sox.

Chips
07-27-2005, 08:29 PM
I don't like Oaklands black alternate home jersey. I don't like most black jerseys unless its a team like the Sox or Orioles.

Juice16
07-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Every team that found it necessary to include black in your uni ( mets, reds, marlins, royals, dbacks and anyone im forgetting) go back to your real colors.

Norberto7
07-27-2005, 10:27 PM
For all the abuse they get, I don't think Tampa's uniforms are that bad. I'd vote for Arizona's as in the most need of change. Ugh. Purple, green, and gold? Pinstripes on gray uniforms? Different hats for home and away? Oh, how cute! *Sigh...* That "D" on the hat looks more like spent intestinal by-product than a fierce snake.

Purple and green? Yech. :cower:

TheOldRoman
07-27-2005, 10:39 PM
I don't like Oaklands black alternate home jersey. I don't like most black jerseys unless its a team like the Sox or Orioles.
Oakland only wore the black jerseys for one year (2001 I believe). They still sold the black hats up until last year, and a lot of people wore them. I thought they were hideous, black is not one of their colors.

Brian26
07-27-2005, 10:44 PM

Those Blue Jays unis from '85 until '96 (or whenever they first started fiddling with them) were just tremednous. That Blue Jay logo was so cool.

Brian26
07-27-2005, 10:45 PM
I think the Dodgers need to put players names back on the jerseys.

Agreed totally. It just doesn't look right without the names.

Banix12
07-27-2005, 10:48 PM
For all the abuse they get, I don't think Tampa's uniforms are that bad. I'd vote for Arizona's as in the most need of change. Ugh. Purple, green, and gold? Pinstripes on gray uniforms? Different hats for home and away? Oh, how cute! *Sigh...* That "D" on the hat looks more like spent intestinal by-product than a fierce snake.

Purple and green? Yech. :cower:

I don't think Tampa's uniforms are all that bad either. they are better than Tampa's old uniforms from when they first entered the league with the picture of the devil ray on it. And I think i hate the Blue Jays uni's more for the fact that they are unoriginal ripoffs more than that they are bad uni's. Ugly is always better than Unoriginal. I detest the Devil Jays.

I'm not a huge fan of the D'Backs uniforms but at least they are somewhat original, even if the color scheme is gaudy. Keep the purple and ditch the green.

Norberto7
07-27-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the D'Backs uniforms but at least they are somewhat original, even if the color scheme is gaudy. Keep the purple and ditch the green.

Ah, in general I'd switch that. I think green is an underutilized uniform color. Though hard to pull off, it can be a pretty classy look. Some rather stately franchises (Boston Celtics, Oakland A's, Green Bay Packers) have pulled off green to great effect (though I'd say too much yellow in G.B.).

That said, being a desert team, I don't think Arizona should have green in their uniforms. I think they could do something cool with colors that would invoke that reddish desert sunset. Red and yellow? Red and orange, a la the old Tampa Bay uniforms? Personally, I was a fan of those, though they were a bit gaudy. I think, toned down, it could be a sharp look.

Banix12
07-27-2005, 11:25 PM
Ah, in general I'd switch that. I think green is an underutilized uniform color. Though hard to pull off, it can be a pretty classy look. Some rather stately franchises (Boston Celtics, Oakland A's, Green Bay Packers) have pulled off green to great effect (though I'd say too much yellow in G.B.).

That said, being a desert team, I don't think Arizona should have green in their uniforms. I think they could do something cool with colors that would invoke that reddish desert sunset. Red and yellow? Red and orange, a la the old Tampa Bay uniforms? Personally, I was a fan of those, though they were a bit gaudy. I think, toned down, it could be a sharp look.

I guess i'm just partial to purple with it being my favorite color. Green does work well. Teams have gotten it to work ok usually mixed with white or yellow. Nobody in my mind other than the Minnesota Vikings and D'Backs use purple, and as long as the team doesn't go purple pants and purple shirt (like the vikings have done a few times) I think it can look pretty good. I always have thought the royals should have given that color a shot.

I can see the D'Backs going to more of an earth tone, maybe some kind of burnt orange with white? If it weren't already taken I think the color scheme the astros currently have with the red uniforms would have worked well.

TheOldRoman
07-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Nobody in my mind other than the Minnesota Vikings and D'Backs use purple, and as long as the team doesn't go purple pants and purple shirt (like the vikings have done a few times) I think it can look pretty good.
Actually, the Vikings have only done it once. I saw it on NFL films. The Vikings have only worn purple pants for two seasons in their history, in the mid 70s. During one home game, they wanted to show the fans what their road uniforms looked like, so they wore them - white jerseys and purple pants. The only problem was that the equipment manager forgot to tell the Lions to bring their home jerseys. They had to run to the team offices or somewhere to get the home jerseys out of storage. Both teams wore white for the first half. During halftime, the Vikings switched to their normal home jerseys but kept their purple pants on.
Sorry, :hijacked:

Banix12
07-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Actually, the Vikings have only done it once. I saw it on NFL films. The Vikings have only worn purple pants for two seasons in their history, in the mid 70s. During one home game, they wanted to show the fans what their road uniforms looked like, so they wore them - white jerseys and purple pants. The only problem was that the equipment manager forgot to tell the Lions to bring their home jerseys. They had to run to the team offices or somewhere to get the home jerseys out of storage. Both teams wore white for the first half. During halftime, the Vikings switched to their normal home jerseys but kept their purple pants on.
Sorry, :hijacked:
Ah, thanks for the info. I knew they had done it before, I just couldn't remember when. I just remembered that they looked like eggplants.

MarkM2112
07-28-2005, 01:13 AM
A lot of good suggestions here, but I would also like to add the Minnesota Twins road grey uni's. To me, pinstripes on grey is NOT a good mix...

doublem23
07-28-2005, 01:29 AM
A lot of good suggestions here, but I would also like to add the Minnesota Twins road grey uni's. To me, pinstripes on grey is NOT a good mix...

Yeah, I kind of agree with this, and I kind of don't. I'm not a real big fan of the road grey pinstripes, but I do think the Twins pull it off. If a lot of other teams started doing it, though, then we'd have a problem. It's a bit like the Sox introducing a black alternative jersey in the early-90s. It's a look that works for the White Sox, but doesn't for the A's, Royals, Mets, etc.

Iwritecode
07-28-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the Jndjans yet.

That big "J" :wink: on their hat just doesn't look right. They need to go back to Chief Wahoo.

RKMeibalane
07-28-2005, 01:38 PM
This thread was perfectly timed.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/050728)

Stroker Ace
07-28-2005, 02:08 PM
1. Mets (remove the black and bring back the classic blue/orange scheme)YES! The Mets should wear the pinstripes at home and grey on the road. NO ALTERNATES!

dcb33
07-28-2005, 03:04 PM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2004/07/17/8YgWqqvT.jpg

These yellow uniforms they drug out last July when they played our Sox were pretty brutal too. Then again the Sox actually won that game 5-2 so maybe Oakland should wear them more often.

RadioheadRocks
07-28-2005, 09:01 PM
Not so much the unis, but I think the Brewers should go back to the "baseball glove" MB logo... really don't care for that lame script M they have now!

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/mil/images/history_logo2.gif

skobabe8
07-28-2005, 09:47 PM
i really like that Uni Watch, especially small but cool stuff. Like how the 'Red Sox' arch is different sometimes.

Banix12
07-28-2005, 09:56 PM
Not so much the unis, but I think the Brewers should go back to the "baseball glove" MB logo... really don't care for that lame script M they have now!

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/mil/images/history_logo2.gif

I agree, I love the old MB symbol put that on the hats but use the new color scheme they now use for the uniforms. I actually really like the current milwaukee uni's but I do miss the old symbol.

GregoryEtc
07-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Here are my thoughts...

AL West

Oakland: Nice simple home whites. Road greys are classic too. Just use those two! No solid green!
Texas/Anaheim: Their uniforms are essentially the same so they get to share. I like them but they're ripoffs of eachother. Who was first?
Seattle: They are boring. But how do you make a "mariner" exciting?

AL Central

Chicago: Come on. Best in the business.
Detroit: Home "D" is classic. Road greys need some work though.
Cleveland: I actually like the script "Indians" even if it does look like a "J". The road "Cleveland" script is nice too. But just use those two!
Minnesota: Hideous. And pick a frigging cap! I can dig the TC design but lose the weird M one.
KC: I actually like their vest, but I guess that's going away next year. I like that they haven't changed too much over the years.

AL East

NY: Home is classic. Can't really change that... But the road grey is the worst uni in all baseball. Boring boring boring.
Boston: Nice home whites. Road grey is fine.
TB: I actually don't dislike them either. But they too need to just pick two or three designs... I think they've got like 5 or something (including wearing their BP shirts during games!)
Toronto: Criminy. You're representing the whole country of Canadia now. Act like it.
Baltimore: Nice home whites. But the aways should say "Baltimore" like in the 60s.

NL West

SF: Homes are ok. But what's with the off white road jerseys? Just wear grey like everyone else!
SD: They looked better in the camo jerseys on Armed Forces Day than they do every other day in those ugly things.
LA: Nice Nice Nice. But who the heck are they? I don't have a scorecard.
Colorado: They too have like 5 jerseys. The plain home "Rockies" and road "Colorado" are fine. Leave it at that.
Arizona: I like the road jerseys. That's about it. What's with the "D" on the cap? The cap should not have the initial of the mascot.

NL Central

Chicago: Home jerseys are fine. Road are just awful. And stop wearing blue. It didn't look good on Don Zimmer's gut. Why would it look good on Carlos Zambrano's?
Milwaukee: Brought to you by Miller. We get it. Do they have to use the same font though?
StL. Good grief, those are beautiful. Can the road greys say "St. Louis" though? or would that look bad? I'm just askin.
Pittsburgh: I love yellow and black. Do whatever you want. it works.
Houston: I like. Nice font. Futuristic without looking cartoony. Just like the Rockets unis. But stop it with the red alternates. Yucky.
Cincy: Love the vest. Way better than the Eric Davis pull-overs.

NL East

NY: Lose the black... NOW! And whats a met?
Florida: Nice. They dialed back the teal and that's always a good thing.
Atlanta: I like how they totally offend a whole race while still looking pretty good. Stop wearing red though. It reminds me of Custer's last stand.
Philly: I liked theirs at first but now it seems old. Maybe go back to marron? I dunno. It could use some tweaking though.
Washington: It's kinda plain as it is. Nice old style "W" but it doesn't match everything else.

downstairs
07-29-2005, 08:04 AM
Here are my thoughts...

Now, tell us what you really think!

Seriously, good analysis. Though you pretty much like everything!

TB and Colorado, though... I can't see how you like them at all.

I actually like the off-white that some teams are using here and there.

downstairs
07-29-2005, 08:08 AM
Off topic a bit, but here's an idea I had once.

Rather than these random throwback days different teams have at different times, the MLB should specify a few days during the year where every team plays in their jersey from a certain year (i.e. 20, 30, 40 years ago that year).

It would be cool to have an all-1985 day around the league... All 1975, etc.

If you weren't around, then just wear your normal jersey.

Hangar18
07-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Every team that found it necessary to include black in your uni ( mets, reds, marlins, royals, dbacks and anyone im forgetting) go back to your real colors.

POST of the Day. Memo to the following. Change your uniforms.
1. Colorado Rockies. Wipe the Slate clean. Everything is bad. Home uni. Road uni. Hats. alternate vest..awful. alternate black jersey...horrid.. This team should also contemplate a color scheme change too. everything awful. Logo is awful too. (heres a hint ....go with just Purple & White, originality works too)
2. Toronto Black Jays. Either change your name to Toronto Black Crows
or get rid of the black in your uniforms. the Bird your teams named after is called the BLUE Jays, not the BLACK JAYs.
3. KC Royals. Get rid of the Vests and black in your uniforms. awful
4. Baltimore Orioles. Uniform is ok, Change the HAT back to smiling bird
5. Cincinnati Reds. Get rid of the BLACK in your unis. your called the
cincy REDS, not the cincinnati red&blacks
6. NY Mets. How this team messed up their look I dont know, get rid of the Black Hats, Black Jerseys, plain white home uni's too. Get rid of all black in uniforms .........back to their classic blue/orange look

doublem23
07-29-2005, 08:05 PM
What are you ****ing kidding me? Aside from that awful vest, the Rockies' look is as good as it gets in the MLB. The silver-black-purple combo is very effective. The black alternate top even works for them. Take away that god awful vest and they have one of the best uniforms in all of baseball.

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050726/capt.dxf10307260339.mets_rockies_dxf103.jpg?x=222&y=345&sig=y7tyufkfKGtfWcwcn_5shw-- http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050721/capt.rfk10607210141.rockies_nationals_rfk106.jpg?x =223&y=345&sig=u_1UhO2cGPJNprwKJqvuBA--

Even got the road pinstripes goin' on.

I can't believe more people didn't mention the Padres road uniforms. They suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I'm not a big fan of the direction they went with their color combinations, anyways; but I think the could grow on me. But road "sand?" *****. Awful.

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050724/capt.pxs10507242130.padres_phillies_pxs105.jpg?x=2 58&y=345&sig=.Rbl4n4fLWgc1OQ1TjxkkA--\

I really don't "get" a lot of the complaints in this thread. Baseball uniforms aren't supposed to be flashy and eye popping; that's what makes the Sox's uniforms so great; here's what you need to know: Name, Number, Team. That's it. No goofy colors thrown in for no reason, no friggin' shadowing, no 80 gabillion hats, and a good color combination that is relavent to the nickname and has become a staple of the franchise. For that reason, here are some great uniforms in the MLB:

1) Detroit Tigers - The "D" home is absolutely classic and the road greys are great; no messing around with alternates either. They are timeless, and, in all honest opinion, maybe the best uniforms in baseball.
2) St. Louis Cardinals - Now that they've ditched that crappy sky blue ****, they also have one of the best uniforms in baseball. Red everywhere, great logo... Do their road greys say, "Cardinals" or "St. Louis?" All road greys should have a city name.
3) New York Yankees - Also as good as it gets. I understand why they don't put names on the back and that's just their thing; but their jerseys are spectacular. No frills, no design changes, just baseball, man.

GregoryEtc
07-29-2005, 08:40 PM
New York Yankees - Also as good as it gets. I understand why they don't put names on the back and that's just their thing; but their jerseys are spectacular. No frills, no design changes, just baseball, man.

Do you also like the road yankees jerseys? I think they're awful. The home ones are great and timeless... but the road jerseys are like the old boston road jerseys before they went to the same font as the home white on the road too.

doublem23
07-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Do you also like the road yankees jerseys? I think they're aweful.

Yes. I think the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Giants, Dodgers and White Sox all have perfect jerseys that should never again be changed. The Braves used to be in that category, too, before they introduced the red alternate.

I'm not going to lie; I can't even contemplate what anybody would think is wrong with these, save for the pricks that wear them.

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050724/capt.ans10907240422.yankees_angels_ans109.jpg?x=32 2&y=345&sig=.f0oHYl3NACcabdC9DzrPg--

Jerome
07-29-2005, 11:54 PM
Another vote for the Black Jays!

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/images/2005/07/26/CCMYaZVm.jpg

haha the black jays

anyone who read moneyball should remember JP Riccardi's "White Jays" as well.