PDA

View Full Version : Levine Comments

Lip Man 1
07-27-2005, 01:02 PM
I found this interesting watching Chicago Tribune Live! last night after the Sox game (if you can call it that...)

Levine stated very clearly that Ken Williams thought he had deals made for both Joe Randa and Tony Graffinino (now I have no idea if Williams wanted them both or after Tony was traded to Boston he went after Randa.)

I just thought it was significant that apparently Williams was focused on getting at least one backup infielder as opposed to pitching.

Levine also said that Williams was surprised when Cincy and K.C. decided to take other offers, implying that Williams thought he made the best offers of the bunch.

Hopefully Kenny hasn't stopped trying. The Sox still need a piece or two.

Lip

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-27-2005, 01:05 PM
I found this interesting watching Chicago Tribune Live! last night after the Sox game (if you can call it that...)

Levine stated very clearly that Ken Williams thought he had deals made for both Joe Randa and Tony Graffinino (now I have no idea if Williams wanted them both or after Tony was traded to Boston he went after Randa.)

I just thought it was significant that apparently Williams was focused on getting at least one backup infielder as opposed to pitching.

Levine also said that Williams was surprised when Cincy and K.C. decided to take other offers, implying that Williams thought he made the best offers of the bunch.

Lip

I saw the same thing - I was driving back from a weekend camping trip on Sunday and he was on the Talking Baseball show with Rooney on AM1000...and boy, the tap dancing/Sox Love Fest he was trying to convey bordered on comical. But, he did mention the Burnett deal, and his "feelings" were that KW was going to pull that trade off, "based on sources". Yap yap yap.

JimH
07-27-2005, 02:18 PM

Lip

Mark I think it's safe to say KW is still working on stuff. I suspect we'll see a middle infield upgrade by Sunday, whether or not he adds any pitching. There was a small blurb in the paper today that they're looking at Mackowiak.

maurice
07-27-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm not sure KW was or is looking for a backup IF, though Levine is obsessed with this subject. Remember that, at the time those deals were being negotiated, Crede's back was a large, looming issue. KW needed a contingency plan. That may have changed in the interim.

Optipessimism
07-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Alex Cintron.

Come on Kenny.