PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 7/27/05

Hangar18
07-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Its becoming quite insulting. The Media Bias continues.
Despite the Chicago White Sox having
A: Best Record In Baseball
B: Being in 1st Place
C: Been in 1st Place since the season began
D: Very good chance at being in World Series for first time since 1959
.....the Tribune and Sun-Times are having a hard time acknowledging this,
and NOT giving the SOX the extra coverage they very well deserve instead making sure everyone knows about the Cubs, updates on Shawon Dunston,
and having a WILD CARD WATCH graphic that is as prominently displayed as the Sox' MAGIG NUMBER graphic is. Can that be right? Doesnt it sure sound like somebody is really jealous at the year the SOX are having?

Sure, over the years, weve been told/fed that the cubs are winning-(only applied in 1984,1989,1998,2003) so thats why were giving them EXTRA coverage. The in between years where they were LOSING badly still got them the EXTRA coverage. The Media and even some of our own fans have said that well if the SOX start WINNING, they'll get the coverage. Ive NEVER believed this to be true ........ and the nonsense I illustrate below proves this.

Cubune:
7 Cub stories
3 Sox stories
Cub-Times:
4 Cub stories
3 Sox stories

Maddux gets the cover in both papers, 2 days in a row now that the CUBS have gotten the Covers of the sports pages, relegating the SOX to "see inside" status. Theres even a piece on Shawon Dunston. Unreal.
The SOX are having one of the best seasons theyve ever had, and we instead are being told how many autographs Nomar gave out at a minorleague game in Peoria IL. This is maddening.

Hangar18
07-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Cubune:
7 Cub stories
3 Sox stories
Cub-Times:
4 Cub stories
3 Sox stories

Standings .......since only July 25th

3rd Place, barely hovering at 2gms over .500 Cubs - 22 stories
1st Place, Best Record in MLB, 31gms over .500 Sox -11 stories

Whats wrong with this picture?

kittle42
07-27-2005, 11:03 AM
I just thought this yesterday: even if the Cubs went in the tank and lost, say, 10 in a row, the coverage would not change. Instead of radio talk going on and on about their playoff chances, they would be going on and on about who to dump, what to do next year, what happened, etc. Pathetic.

Rocky Soprano
07-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Why let this bother you?

**** the media! They are NEVER going to change.

We don't need them to enjoy this season we are having.

Ignoring them does wonders for the overall enjoyment and I bet it also is prolonging my life since I am not letting them stress me out.

Hitmen77
07-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Sure, over the years, weve been told/fed that the cubs are winning-(only applied in 1984,1989,1998,2003) ....

I wouldn't excuse the media for 2003 coverage. Remember, before mid-September the Sox were just as much in the playoff race as the Cubs.

I'll never forgot the day the Sox moved into 1st place in August that year. The headline in the Trib's sports section was about Eric Karros' homecoming to L.A. as the Cubs visited the Dodgers. At the very bottom corner of page 1, there was a small box that said "Sox move into 1st - pg 4" THAT'S NO JOKE! They really did that! :angry:

Letmehearya
07-27-2005, 11:31 AM
The %$#&@ cubs are owned by one of the world's largest media conglomerates. The other day, I read part of the Tribune Company's 10-K filing with the SEC [I'm an attorney by trade]. They own - among other things - the Los Angeles Times, Newsday [NY paper] and more than 40 local stations and a similar number of local newspapers coast-to-coast. For 25 years now, that media machine has spewed all things cubs from coast-to-coast. If MLB hadn't stepped in a few years ago to limit the Trib's broacasting cub games throughout the country, the madness would be even worse. Hangar, keep up the good work. It is incumbent upon the White Sox Army to show the bias and fight the bias.

jdm2662
07-27-2005, 11:40 AM
I don't read the paper anymore. I don't watch ESPN/Sportscenter anymore. I don't listen to sports radio anymore. I don't pay attention to the media period. Guess what? I've enjoyed the season much more because of it. If you haven't already, ignore it. If you don't want to give the Sox attention or be a fan, so be it. It's your loss.
________
Big Tits Sex (http://www.****tube.com/categories/10/big-tits/videos/1)

Chisox353014
07-27-2005, 12:19 PM
I don't read the paper anymore. I don't watch ESPN/Sportscenter anymore. I don't listen to sports radio anymore. I don't pay attention to the media period. Guess what? I've enjoyed the season much more because of it. If you haven't already, ignore it. If you don't want to give the Sox attention or be a fan, so be it. It's your loss.

I've basically done this since the end of the 2003 season when Kubbie Koverage reached beyond supersaturation level. I'm sure the coverage is bad enough now, but remember when you literally could not even turn on the news in September/October 2003 because the entire newscast was like 75% Cubs? Utterly ridiculous. I managed to ignore the entire Flub playoff run that year (I watched the end of Game 7 to see the heartbreaking finish) by imposing a complete media blackout. It's like it never even happened. :gulp:
I've basically kept that up since, just reading Sox-only stuff on the internet.

CHISOXFAN13
07-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Like it or not, a pitcher on the North Side became only the 13th in the history of the game to accomplish what he did last night.

Some may not think so, but it's news worthy.

itsnotrequired
07-27-2005, 12:32 PM
Like it or not, a pitcher on the North Side became only the 13th in the history of the game to accomplish what he did last night.

Agreed. I'll give the papers a free pass today. Although, I did have a bit of a time figuring out who actually won the game.:wink:

Hangar18
07-27-2005, 12:43 PM

Cub Rookie Sensation Rich Hill closing in on 3000 K's
Only 2,995 short of special feat
Hill to be only 14th player in 3K K club

Brian26
07-27-2005, 12:53 PM
Its becoming quite insulting. The Media Bias continues.
Cubune:
7 Cub stories
3 Sox stories
Cub-Times:
4 Cub stories
3 Sox stories

One thing I did get a kick out of this morning was this: Because the scrubs game went so late last night, the Cubune was unable to show the final box score next to the game summary. They even had the late west coast games in the sports section, but no scrubbies box score. :whiner: It's the simple things in life that can provide the most pleasure.

tebman
07-27-2005, 01:35 PM
The %$#&@ cubs are owned by one of the world's largest media conglomerates. The other day, I read part of the Tribune Company's 10-K filing with the SEC [I'm an attorney by trade]. They own - among other things - the Los Angeles Times, Newsday [NY paper] and more than 40 local stations and a similar number of local newspapers coast-to-coast. For 25 years now, that media machine has spewed all things cubs from coast-to-coast. If MLB hadn't stepped in a few years ago to limit the Trib's broacasting cub games throughout the country, the madness would be even worse. Hangar, keep up the good work. It is incumbent upon the White Sox Army to show the bias and fight the bias.
If you haven't read it already, you'll be interested in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53026&highlight=seance) from about a month ago that dealt with this question. George Knue, the Tribune's on-line sports editor, posted vigorous defenses of the Tribune. He maintains that the Cubs have no influence whatsoever on the editorial decisions of the newspaper, even though they're all owned by the same company.

Several of us took exception to that,
:duel:
as you'll see when you read it.

chuckn98229
07-27-2005, 01:42 PM
There is a reason why they are referred to as 'mediots'. Perhaps George or some other Tribune shill can post all the reasons why they only practice the highest journalistic standards of fairness and objectivity. These guys put Joseph Goebbels to shame.

Hangar18
07-27-2005, 01:47 PM
One thing I did get a kick out of this morning was this: Because the scrubs game went so late last night, the Cubune was unable to show the final box score next to the game summary. They even had the late west coast games in the sports section, but no scrubbies box score. :whiner: It's the simple things in life that can provide the most pleasure.

And anyone REMEMBER how the previous excuse of the Cubune & Cub-Times
would say that if the game went late, they would be relegated off the back-page/lead page?

They forgot their own precedent and gave the 3rd Place, 2 games over .500 CUBS the lead story/back page anyway. 2nd day in a row mind you. Not bad for a 3rd Place team when the 1st Place team is in the same city

Tekijawa
07-27-2005, 01:50 PM

I'd have to agree here... I'll give them the free pass today.

jdm2662
07-27-2005, 01:54 PM
You can't say 3000th strikeout wasn't news worthy. It doesn't happen often. The fact he's not a power pitcher makes more impressive.
________
Lesbian teen (http://www.****tube.com/categories/744/teen/videos/1)

Fungo
07-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Personally, I'm glad we didn't get the headline after the 7-1 beating from the Royals. That was embarrassing.

Banix12
07-27-2005, 02:01 PM
While I agree that the Cubs would likely get the lions share of the space no matter what was going on with both teams. I would also make the point that it is easier to write articles about what is going wrong with a team and what they should do to improve it than talking about how great it is going for one particular team.

I'm not defending the backhanded comments that we see in the paper toward the sox. I'm just saying that writers are lazy people and it's easier to write articles about a .500 team in 3rd place than it is for a 1st place team that is running away with the division.

Baby Fisk
07-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Cubune:
7 Cub stories
3 Sox stories
Cub-Times:
4 Cub stories
3 Sox stories

Maddux gets the cover in both papers, 2 days in a row now that the CUBS have gotten the Covers of the sports pages, relegating the SOX to "see inside" status. Theres even a piece on Shawon Dunston. Unreal.
The SOX are having one of the best seasons theyve ever had, and we instead are being told how many autographs Nomar gave out at a minorleague game in Peoria IL. This is maddening.
No one goes mad quite like Hangar. :cool:

Before you blow a critical artery, Hangar, remember that we knew this was coming (because of Maddux's strikeouts count).

As kittle points out above, the media will not change even if the Sox win every game for the rest of the year by scores of 12-0.

The media is Cub media. Accept it! Don't let this **** ruin your life, or put a damper on the best Sox season in living memory.

Hangar18
07-27-2005, 02:23 PM
I would also make the point that it is easier to write articles about what is going wrong with a team and what they should do to improve it than talking about how great it is going for one particular team.

That didnt stop the Chicago Media back in 2003, especially in July, August, September. We saw coverage that was unprecedented, even surpassing Bears 1986 coverage. There was so much Cub Fluff, Cub non-news, articles about little punk Darren, Former chicagoan actors/movie-stars, etc.
They have no Excuses, they just .....dont.....like......the Sox.
Chicago Media = No Integrity

SOXPHILE
07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Oh yeah, congratulations to Greg Maddux on his 3000th strikeout. Of course the bulk of that was accomplished as a Brave, but nevermind that. The way it's being covered, you would think he was a Cub for his entire career. Oh, by the way, with all the hoopla surrounding it, did the idiot citizens of Cub Nation know that THE CUBS LOST THE GAME ??
I remember a similar thing happened last year, I believe, when Carrie Woods reached 1000 strikeouts (I think), and it was the soonest a player had done so. Everyone, the Cub fans, the mediots, they were all like "YEAH ! WOO HOO !! CARRIE WOODS DID IT ! HE'S THE BEST". But what was once again overlooked was......THE CUBS LOST THE GAME !

Hangar18
07-27-2005, 02:31 PM
You can't say 3000th strikeout wasn't news worthy. It doesn't happen often. The fact he's not a power pitcher makes more impressive.

Im gagging thinking of The Messiah & Rich Hill "Countdown to 3000 K's" graphics
coming shortly ..............

Flight #24
07-27-2005, 02:45 PM

Not t omention that another chunk of coverage is due to a local player entering the HoF. Yes, you can argue that the Sox wouldn'thaven't received the same coverage for their entries, butit's not exactly like they're writing about the Cub team with the disparity. It's 2 fairly unique events that happen to coincide and not have a contemporaneous Sox event.