PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of Royce Clayton

beausox
11-25-2001, 10:53 AM
A few teams that need a SS, an possible trades.

Cubs-Clayton and Singleton to the Cubs for Roosevelt Brown (26 year old outfielder) and Michel Tucker (2.75 million owed in 2002).

The Cubs need a REAL CF to show Patterson the ropes, and Guiterrez is a free agent. The Cubs have shown previous interest in Clayton. Brown deserves to have a major league job. He has got a great bat and is above average in defense. We would have to take on Tuckers salary for the Cubs to take Claytons, but we could always turn and trade him to team like the Royals.

Dodgers-Clayton for Mike Trombley.

They need a SS who can hit a little bit better than Joey Cora's younger brother, however they can't add payroll so we take Trombley's contract. We can then trade Trombley or keep him as useful reliever to pass the gas can.

Devil Rays-Clayton for John Flaherty

Once again to get rid of Claytons salary we have to take an overpaid veteran. However, defensively, Flaherty is a notch above Alomar. We could then in turn trade Alomar (or Flaherty) to the Giants who need a catcher.

Mariners-Royce Clayton and Chris Singleton for Brett Tomko

Mariners then move Guillen to second base since Boone is a free agent. Tomko becomes a cheaper, younger, better version of Sean Lowe. Lowe is traded to a team (like the Royals) where he can be a starting pitcher.

These are just a few ideas of how to solve our SS dilemma.

JoeBatters
11-25-2001, 11:05 AM
http://images.animfactory.com/animations/war/miscellaneous/bomb_with_fuse_md_wht.gif

This Way !

Spiff
11-25-2001, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by beausox
A few teams that need a SS, an possible trades.

Cubs-Clayton and Singleton to the Cubs for Roosevelt Brown (26 year old outfielder) and Michel Tucker (2.75 million owed in 2002).

The Cubs need a REAL CF to show Patterson the ropes, and Guiterrez is a free agent. The Cubs have shown previous interest in Clayton. Brown deserves to have a major league job. He has got a great bat and is above average in defense. We would have to take on Tuckers salary for the Cubs to take Claytons, but we could always turn and trade him to team like the Royals.

Dodgers-Clayton for Mike Trombley.

They need a SS who can hit a little bit better than Joey Cora's younger brother, however they can't add payroll so we take Trombley's contract. We can then trade Trombley or keep him as useful reliever to pass the gas can.

Devil Rays-Clayton for John Flaherty

Once again to get rid of Claytons salary we have to take an overpaid veteran. However, defensively, Flaherty is a notch above Alomar. We could then in turn trade Alomar (or Flaherty) to the Giants who need a catcher.

Mariners-Royce Clayton and Chris Singleton for Brett Tomko

Mariners then move Guillen to second base since Boone is a free agent. Tomko becomes a cheaper, younger, better version of Sean Lowe. Lowe is traded to a team (like the Royals) where he can be a starting pitcher.

These are just a few ideas of how to solve our SS dilemma.

Cub deal is intriguing but I don't think the Sox need outfielders.

Flaherty is a decent catcher but like you say he's overpaid.

Tomko is a good pitcher but if the Sox trade Clayon and Singleton I think they should get a little bit more. Maybe add a prospect or two.

danman31
11-25-2001, 12:00 PM
Why don't we just cut Royce??

Daver
11-25-2001, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by danman31

Because they will still have to pay him the 4.5 mil called for in his contract.

I think Royce going on a hunting trip with me is the best solution.

But then again what the hell do I know?

RedPinStripes
11-25-2001, 01:45 PM
Roosevetlt Brown? Michael Tucker? What the hell can they do beside sell beer on the Sox? They are completly useless for the Sox.

If KW would even think of that, everyone would know that he's buying bad crack.

Jerry_Manuel
11-25-2001, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by danman31

Well as Daver mentioned if they cut him they have to eat his contract. If we had an owner who threw money around it wouldn't be a problem, but we don't.

Jerry_Manuel
11-25-2001, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by ComiskeyBum
Roosevetlt Brown? Michael Tucker? What the hell can they do beside sell beer on the Sox? They are completly useless for the Sox.

Nothing wrong with selling beer!

:reinsy
They could sit in the lovely upper deck 81 games a year.

Chisoxfn
11-25-2001, 02:28 PM
I Think Royce has some small value to a team like the Dodgers. I've read in the LA times that they are interested in acquiring him but the question would be what do we get in return. When I look at their situation I see they have a bad ss as well as a bad cf. How about we help them on both slots. We deal them Chris Singleton and Royce Clayton for Ching Fen Chen or Eric Gagne or Luke Propojeck.

I don't know if they'd buy it but either way we can't just eat Royce's contract. We could at least get a ptbnl for him and 4.5 million that JR doesn't have to pay and could mabye give to someone else(Foulke, Sanchez, Damon???, Veteran Pitcher)

Jerry_Manuel
11-25-2001, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
I Think Royce has some small value to a team like the Dodgers. We deal them Chris Singleton and Royce Clayton for Ching Fen Chen.

I don't know if they'd buy it but either way we can't just eat Royce's contract. We could at least get a ptbnl for him and 4.5 million that JR doesn't have to pay and could mabye give to someone else(Foulke, Sanchez, Damon???, Veteran Pitcher)

Ching Fen Chen there's one name that our guy Kenny won't have to double check. If there are two Ching Fen Chen's in this league then I won't blame him if he gets the wrong guy again. If nobody wants Clayton he'll be at SS with Jose at 3rd. Nope that extra 4.5 million will go right back into the wallet of the chairman.

longshot7
11-25-2001, 04:57 PM
As a Dodgers fan, I wouldn't be averse to trading for Royce. Alex Cora is not a big league shortstop.

How about Clayton and Kip Wells for Luke Prokopec (a good, young pitcher that needs to find consistency), and Marquis Grissom.

I have an inkling the Dodgers will sign Johnny Damon, and are not looking to deal Mike Trombley.

That is if they don't want to deal Gary Sheffield. I'd trade them Caballo or Foulke for him, but what's the chances of that?

Daver
11-25-2001, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
As a Dodgers fan, I wouldn't be averse to trading for Royce. Alex Cora is not a big league shortstop.

How about Clayton and Kip Wells for Luke Prokopec (a good, young pitcher that needs to find consistency), and Marquis Grissom.

I have an inkling the Dodgers will sign Johnny Damon, and are not looking to deal Mike Trombley.

That is if they don't want to deal Gary Sheffield. I'd trade them Caballo or Foulke for him, but what's the chances of that?

No way do I want Gary Sheffeild in a Sox Uni.

Jerry_Manuel
11-25-2001, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by daver
No way do I want Gary Sheffeild in a Sox Uni.

Is there anyone you do like Daver? It seems like whenever a name is brought up you say:

A: Oh that guy is a jag, screw him.
B: Not worth what he is getting paid
C: Injury prone

Just my opinion.

Daver
11-25-2001, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Is there anyone you do like Daver? It seems like whenever a name is brought up you say:

A: Oh that guy is a jag, screw him.
B: Not worth what he is getting paid
C: Injury prone

Just my opinion.

And you are entitled to it.
Would you want Sheffeild in the Sox clubhouse?

And most of these players aren't worth what they are getting paid.

Jerry_Manuel
11-25-2001, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by daver
And you are entitled to it.
Would you want Sheffeild in the Sox clubhouse?

And most of these players aren't worth what they are getting paid.

I would if we needed a left or a right fielder.

longshot7
11-26-2001, 12:25 AM
Daver, contrary to what you may have heard, Sheff is a great clubhouse guy - a great teammate by all accounts. The LA Times seems out to smear him. He's not Carl Everett or Albert Belle by any stretch of the imagination. If the Dodgers are stupid enough to trade him, which their idiotic owner wants to do, why not go for it?

LongDistanceFan
11-26-2001, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by beausox
:sopranos

we will take him fishing with us.

RedPinStripes
11-26-2001, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
:sopranos

we will take him fishing with us.

LMFOA!

JoeBatters
11-26-2001, 01:39 PM
http://pics.ebay.com/aw/pics/navbar/ebay_logo_home.gif
Ok Then , This Way !

RedPinStripes
11-26-2001, 03:47 PM
:pee :hitless

Tragg
11-26-2001, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

Tomko is a good pitcher but if the Sox trade Clayon and Singleton I think they should get a little bit more. Maybe add a prospect or two.

That trade would be a steal.
Not having to pay them anymore is a good deal. Getting a good player for those two is sheer gravy.