PDA

View Full Version : Giants broadcaster John Miller defends Hawk

Bisco Stu
07-27-2005, 02:33 AM
on the Giants pregame show which is part of the Tom Tolbert radio show. Basically they shoot the shinola with Miller (or another Giants 'caster) for a couple minutes.

Anyway, because the Giants are in Chicago to play the Flubs, Tolbert thought it appropriate to ask Miller his opinion of Hawk, Tolbert's opinion being that Hawk's too much of a homer, and that "White Sox broadcasters make me nauseous" (as outlined on another thread). But Miller was genial and defended Hawk recalling how he knew Hawk when he did color on the Red Sawx TV casts in 1980 and ironically, that Hawk was fearless and would rip Don Zimmer on a daily basis, while Miller actually had to kiss Red Sawx ass because he was on the radio side and directly employed by the team.

Miller noted that Hawk "reinvented" himself in Chicago which isn't as critical and paranoid as Boston and became an overt supporter of the team.

Miller: "Hawk is entertaining, that's the way it is in Chicago. Harry Caray was that way." Then Miller proceeded to bust out a Harry imitation.

Tragg
07-27-2005, 03:15 AM
Yea, Harrelson's a homer - big deal. What club TV announcer isn't? The Braves' sure as hell are. The Astros are. The Rangers' are (you should have heard Tom Grieve going on and on one night about the genius of Ranger management for hoodwinking the Sox by snagging Frankie Francisco). The Cubs? Give me a break. Those are the 4 I hear, and Hawk's no worse than the rest.

Carey was extremely critical when he was with the Sox. In the 1970s, he would rip the sox players, management mercilessly. I'll never forget the disgust in his voice whenever a player would hit a pop up with runners on base.

He re-invented to himself to Mr Congeniality when he went to the Cubs.

Fredsox
07-27-2005, 05:27 AM
Ya know, it's not like anyone expects a baseball announcer to be a "professional journalist". If you asked them about the Canons of Journalism they'd probably think you were speaking of artillery. It's their job to describe the action to the people watching, most of which have a local focus. Tolbert or any other "national" announcer/commentator has a different audience and focus (national), and so of course they'll see things differently. Also, he's a putz.

TornLabrum
07-27-2005, 08:47 AM
on the Giants pregame show which is part of the Tom Tolbert radio show. Basically they shoot the shinola with Miller (or another Giants 'caster) for a couple minutes.

Anyway, because the Giants are in Chicago to play the Flubs, Tolbert thought it appropriate to ask Miller his opinion of Hawk, Tolbert's opinion being that Hawk's too much of a homer, and that "White Sox broadcasters make me nauseous" (as outlined on another thread). But Miller was genial and defended Hawk recalling how he knew Hawk when he did color on the Red Sawx TV casts in 1980 and ironically, that Hawk was fearless and would rip Don Zimmer on a daily basis, while Miller actually had to kiss Red Sawx ass because he was on the radio side and directly employed by the team.

Miller noted that Hawk "reinvented" himself in Chicago which isn't as critical and paranoid as Boston and became an overt supporter of the team.

Miller: "Hawk is entertaining, that's the way it is in Chicago. Harry Caray was that way." Then Miller proceeded to bust out a Harry imitation.

I would add that Jack Brickhouse was that way as were Bob Elson, Jack Quinlan, Vince Lloyd, and every other broadcaster in this town that I remember. Chicago announcers are overt homers. Always have been.

GAsoxfan
07-27-2005, 09:27 AM
What idiot decided to give Tolbert his own show. When he's doing a basketball game I have to mute it. The only time I can listen to him is when he's doing a game with Bill Walton b/c Walton just rips him all game long. He is completely worthless as a commentator.

jackbrohamer
07-27-2005, 09:54 AM
I would add that Jack Brickhouse was that way as were Bob Elson, Jack Quinlan, Vince Lloyd, and every other broadcaster in this town that I remember. Chicago announcers are overt homers. Always have been.

So are Johnny Kerr and Pat Foley. And when Butkus did color on the Bears' games he wasn't exactly trying to be a "journalist."

samram
07-27-2005, 10:01 AM
What idiot decided to give Tolbert his own show?

One that will soon be fired.

Brian26
07-27-2005, 10:24 AM
I really don't understand what the big deal is. I WANT to listen to a broadcaster who is rooting for the Sox, not some generic, bland, non-opinionated guy who acts like he doesn't have any passion for the team or their success. This is just an asinine discussion on the part of this ESPN clown. Is he saying Hawk doesn't point out deficiencies with the team when they occur? Anybody who watches the games knows that Hawk will tell you when a guy doesn't make a smart decision on the field. It's not like Hawk ignores bad play. We say through a year of Gary Thorne doing Sox games in '89, and it was the worst year ever. Give me Hawk who shows some passion and bleeds silver and black.

SOXintheBURGH
07-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Yep. And so was Myron Cope. If you have been with a team for years and years, doing games for one team (not national "unbiased" calling - John Madden, Joe Buck, etc.) I want my guy to be a homer. Hawk rules.

samram
07-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Yep. And so was Myron Cope. If you have been with a team for years and years, doing games for one team (not national "unbiased" calling - John Madden, Joe Buck, etc.) I want my guy to be a homer. Hawk rules.

What's the story with Cope's replacement? I thought I heard they weren't going to replace him, but I must have heard wrong, since that makes no sense.

My thought is why is it OK for ESPN's top baseball insider to be a season ticket holder of a MLB team, but it's not OK for a guy who works for a team to root for that team.

SOXintheBURGH
07-27-2005, 11:04 AM
What's the story with Cope's replacement? I thought I heard they weren't going to replace him, but I must have heard wrong, since that makes no sense.

My thought is why is it OK for ESPN's top baseball insider to be a season ticket holder of a MLB team, but it's not OK for a guy who works for a team to root for that team.

It's impossible to replace a guy who has been in the booth for over 30 years, I think they are just going to move on without him and towards a new era free of inane muttering and crazy talk. I wonder if Mike Lange (the best hockey man in the league) knows football. That would rule.

fquaye149
07-27-2005, 12:05 PM

If you think John Madden is unbiased, watch him call a packer game

:a big fatass:
"It's a good thing there isn't standing water on this field - only Brett Favre would be able to play!"

PaulDrake
07-27-2005, 12:15 PM
I would add that Jack Brickhouse was that way as were Bob Elson, Jack Quinlan, Vince Lloyd, and every other broadcaster in this town that I remember. Chicago announcers are overt homers. Always have been. That's why I never understood this intense overt hostility to Hawk. I guess the critics aren't students of Chicago sports broadcasting history.

Stroker Ace
07-27-2005, 12:51 PM
When will these idiots realize that Hawk is paid to be a homer? I don't want him to start cheering on a rally from the Royals, or to hope that Torii Hunter robs someone of a home run. Hawk is Biased and I love it!

TornLabrum
07-27-2005, 01:00 PM

Because Gammons PRETENDS that he's objective. That makes all the difference in the world.

TornLabrum
07-27-2005, 01:01 PM
That's why I never understood this intense overt hostility to Hawk. I guess the critics aren't students of Chicago sports broadcasting history.

Obviously not, unless they think "HEY HEY! ATTABOY ERNIE!" is objective.

Tragg
07-27-2005, 01:06 PM
Because Gammons PRETENDS that he's objective. That makes all the difference in the world.
I see Gammons is getting some award from the Hall of Fame this weekend. How delightful.
I take it that doesn't mean he's actually in the hall of fame. Just an award, like an honorary diploma?

TornLabrum
07-27-2005, 01:25 PM
I see Gammons is getting some award from the Hall of Fame this weekend. How delightful.
I take it that doesn't mean he's actually in the hall of fame. Just an award, like an honorary diploma?

From the HOF web site:

"Peter Gammons, who in many ways defined baseball coverage both in print and on the airwaves for 35 years, was elected the 2004 winner of the J.G. Taylor Spink Award (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/spink_bios/index.htm) in balloting by the BBWAA. Gammons will receive the award that is presented annually to a sportswriter "for meritorious contributions to baseball writing" during the 2005 induction ceremony July 31 at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/default.htm) in Cooperstown, N.Y."

It's like an honorary degree or a special Oscar for lifetime achievement. Only players, umpires, managers, and executives get a plaque in the actual HOF.

pudge
07-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Miller is awesome. We forgot to discuss him in the previous thread when we were trying to think of worthy broadcasters.

And his words about Hawk are pretty dead on.

StillMissOzzie
07-28-2005, 01:49 AM
Miller is awesome. We forgot to discuss him in the previous thread when we were trying to think of worthy broadcasters.

And his words about Hawk are pretty dead on.

I think Jon Miller is a very good play-by-play announcer. Sadly, he is saddled with Joe Morgan, a confirmed moron.

SMO
:gulp: