PDA

View Full Version : Why 7 earned?

Disantinon
07-26-2005, 11:55 PM
If there were two errors in the 6th, why were all the runs earned? Not living in Chicago anymore, I didn't see the game, but my only guess would be that they were on non-force plays and there is some sort of rule that says "never assume an out on a non-force play?"

TaylorStSox
07-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Every run resulted from a hit.

Disantinon
07-27-2005, 12:30 AM
So then did all runs score with 0 out? Because normally runs scored after there "should have been" 3 outs are not earned.

WhiteSox16K
07-27-2005, 12:34 AM
Every run resulted from a hit.

Technically (tonight) correct, but every run does not have to result from a hit to be earned. For example, you can have 3 consecutive errors in the field, follwed by a hit, but because the inning was supposed to be over (3 outs) the run would not be earned. Also, you can allow a lead-off triple, then have an error on a ground ball to the pitcher allowing the run to score, and the next batter could follow up with a single, which would assume the run scoring.

There are MANY other situations, but tonight none were unearned because if the errors weren't made, the outs would not have resulted in the inning ending without every run scoring.

hold2dibber
07-27-2005, 07:20 AM
So then did all runs score with 0 out? Because normally runs scored after there "should have been" 3 outs are not earned.

Bingo

veeter
07-27-2005, 07:22 AM
All the runs were earned but the defense blew behind MB again.

bobj4400
07-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Shouldnt the guy who scored after reaching on an error be considered and unearned run b/c he shouldnt have been on base in the first place?

TornLabrum
07-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Shouldnt the guy who scored after reaching on an error be considered and unearned run b/c he shouldnt have been on base in the first place?

That would be unearned, but no one reached on an error.

TDog
07-27-2005, 12:21 PM
I didn't see the game either, but I reconstructed the inning from the play-by-play accounts and found all the runs would have scored without the errors. Without the errors you probably wouldn't have an intentional walk, but you can't assume the Berroa will make an out either. In fact, the Sox conceded him his base and didn't want to give him a chance to hit. Certainly the poor defense led to the runs, but they are clearly earned.

Some people seem to act like runs don't count if they're unearned. I've seen a few Sox pitchers who didn't seem to care if they gave up earned runs. Check the stats on bad teams and you will find that bad pitchers give up a lot of unearned runs. I would like to see an RA next to a pitcher's ERA, but that's never going to happen, particularly in an age of salary arbitration. I don't know if last night's bases-loaded double was the fault of the defense, but that bases loaded double, like the recent tie-breaking home run after a dropped foul fly was given up by the pitcher.

I don't care if the runs are earned. I care that the Sox gave them up.