PDA

View Full Version : Kasper/Brenly more annoying than Chimp....

Tragg
07-26-2005, 11:57 PM
Yes, I've come to that conclusion. I hear more oohing and aahing over cubbiedom than I ever heard from Chimp (and you heard only a limited amount from Stone).
At least once each game, there is at least one salvo tossed to the greatness of Santo; also at least once per game, Brenly informs us that wrigley was always his favorite ballpark and how all baseball players just dream of playing in Wrigley.

Tonight they get Mike Krukow on the air for an interview, and they don't bother with any questions about what's up with the Giants, will they deal Schmidt, etc. It was "Mike, would you tell us how great was it to play in Wrigley field during your career?"

9 innings of gag material.

PaulDrake
07-26-2005, 11:58 PM
The most awful pair of announcers I've ever heard, and I've been listening for almost a half century.

Tragg
07-27-2005, 12:02 AM
You know, on other boards I use Paul Drake. Sometimes Mason Street.

It's really incredible to think that Tribune canned chimp and stone because they didn't gush enough.

dcb33
07-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Kasper always sounds like Kermit the Frog whenever he gets excited.

Viva Medias B's
07-27-2005, 12:16 AM

The Dan Bernstein impression of him sounds like Kermit.

Foulke You
07-27-2005, 12:30 AM
LOL!! I'm glad my friends and I aren't the only ones who think this! We always break into "Hi Ho This is Kermit The Frog Here!! Live from Wrigley Field!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!" whenever we hear Kasper.:D:

doublem23
07-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Len Kasper is bearable, but I hate his homerun call... It's like everytime he sees a homer he's never seen one before in his life and he has no idea how to react... "Deep fly ball, well hit to left field... and OH MY GOD, IT'S OVER THE FENCE! WHAT'S THE SCORING ON THAT BOB!?!?!?"

Bob Brenly is a Grade A certified Idiot Douchebag. The very fact that someone thought it was a good idea to stick a mic in his face and let him ramble on for 3 hours a day is proof that Western Civilization is crumbling.

ChiSoxRowand
07-27-2005, 02:03 AM
Kasper does sound like Kermit the frog.:kermit

Outta here!!!!!!!

minastirith67
07-27-2005, 02:19 AM
Len Kasper is bearable, but I hate his homerun call... It's like everytime he sees a homer he's never seen one before in his life and he has no idea how to react... "Deep fly ball, well hit to left field... and OH MY GOD, IT'S OVER THE FENCE! WHAT'S THE SCORING ON THAT BOB!?!?!?"

Bob Brenly is a Grade A certified Idiot Douchebag. The very fact that someone thought it was a good idea to stick a mic in his face and let him ramble on for 3 hours a day is proof that Western Civilization is crumbling.

Funny, my opinion is practically the exact opposite. I can't stand Kaspar's whiny voice and I can tolerate at least the tone of Brenly's voice. IMO they both suck; if I were a cub fan I'd still be wishing they had Stone and Chip. If I want a good laugh I listen to Santo and Hughes.

Shoeless Joe
07-27-2005, 02:48 AM

Funny enough I always think he sounds like Skip Caray when he gets excited.

Banix12
07-27-2005, 03:19 AM
I think Kasper is a solid announcer, if only a bit generic. He doesn't possess that quality, an original or memorable personality, that separates the great announcers from the average. Chip didn't possess that quality either. Kasper's voice is fine, just a bit bland. He's an average announcer, but then it is probably hard to gauge a cubs announcer's personality since cubs managment seems to frown upon announcers expressing opinions.

This broadcast team won't be here for very long. Brenley will be gone the second he gets offered another managerial position which should happen in the next few years. Most available managers with World Series rings seem to land on their feet with new jobs (Cito Gaston seeming to be the major exception.)

Kasper was the cubs third choice I believe and he might not even last a year or two. I believe they really had their heart set on ESPN's Dave O'Brien but ESPN wouldn't let him out of his contract. O'Brien's contract is up in a year I believe, it will be interesting to see if the cubs stand by their guy even though Kasper has a few more years on his contract.

Viva Medias B's
07-27-2005, 08:06 AM
Kasper does sound like Kermit the frog.:kermit

Outta here!!!!!!!

I knew this one was coming. :o:

TornLabrum
07-27-2005, 08:40 AM
The most awful pair of announcers I've ever heard, and I've been listening for almost a half century.

I don't know, I think Ron Santo is bad enough to make "The Pat and Ron Show" the worst ever.

TornLabrum
07-27-2005, 08:43 AM

Don't forget that this is Brenly's second stint as a WGN employee. Before he went to Arizona, he was on the radio side. He must be doing something the Tribune Co. likes. My guess is that their marketing surveys showed that the average IQ of a Cubs fans is about 40, and Brenly was told to dumb it down to a level they could understand.

jdm2662
07-27-2005, 09:15 AM
I'm convinced the Cubune had a lot to do with the annoyance of Chip and his voice. When I heard him in interviews, he sounded normal, and had a pretty good knowledge of the game. I always thought he was fine when he was just calling the game, but he just got annoying. I watched too many Cub games this year, but Kasper sounds like an announcer they were looking for. Bland, calls the game, and he's not going to hurt anyone's feelings.
________
Suzuki h engine (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_H_engine)

BeviBall!
07-27-2005, 09:36 AM
What's worse about Kasper, not the fact that when he get excited he blends all of his words into one, incohernet yawp, is that he feigns his excitment. He has no emotional ties to the team but you'd think he grew up hugging his radio in bed, listening to 720.

"Deep fly hit to LEFTITSOUTTAHEREDERREKLEEOHALSFOG@#!$!" I guess it ain't easy being green.

Hangar18
07-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Don't forget that this is Brenly's second stint as a WGN employee. Before he went to Arizona, he was on the radio side. He must be doing something the Tribune Co. likes. My guess is that their marketing surveys showed that the average IQ of a Cubs fans is about 40, and Brenly was told to dumb it down to a level they could understand.

You know .......... not to laugh at this, but you are on to something. Brenly
was never this bad as a FOX announcer. Same with Chimp Caray. Chippy
was a very good announcer as a network guy, and I forgot that he actually can be pretty intelligent esp when it comes to talking baseball about other teams.
Something does happen to these guys once they become cub announcers .....

Hangar18
07-27-2005, 11:20 AM
What's worse about Kasper, not the fact that when he get excited he blends all of his words into one, incohernet yawp, is that he feigns his excitment. He has no emotional ties to the team but you'd think he grew up hugging his radio in bed, listening to 720.

"Deep fly hit to LEFTITSOUTTAHEREDERREKLEEOHALSFOG@#!$!" I guess it ain't easy being green.

(rolling on the floor laughing) You are very correct ....... he does do this!
very good assessment Beviball

PaulDrake
07-27-2005, 11:34 AM
You know, on other boards I use Paul Drake. Sometimes Mason Street.

It's really incredible to think that Tribune canned chimp and stone because they didn't gush enough. I thought I was oh so original and then came to find out that there are lots of Paul Drakes on lots of message boards. About that gushing, the cubs pair take it to the most sappy, ridiculous extremes. I'd rather listen to Ron Santo do a game all by himself than listen to that pair do half an inning.

PaulDrake
07-27-2005, 11:42 AM
You know .......... not to laugh at this, but you are on to something. Brenly
was never this bad as a FOX announcer. Same with Chimp Caray. Chippy
was a very good announcer as a network guy, and I forgot that he actually can be pretty intelligent esp when it comes to talking baseball about other teams.
Something does happen to these guys once they become cub announcers ..... Chip Caray is much improved IMHO as an Atlanta Braves announcer. Announcing for the cubs does seem to take a terrible toll on a man.

PatK
07-27-2005, 12:35 PM
I flipped on WGN during the rain delay and Brenly and that poor man's Thom Brennaman Len Kasper were talking with one of the Tribune reporters (Rogers?) asking him about who he thinks should be the NL MVP, and he said if he had to vote today, he'd give it to Pujols.

Len and Bob just sat there flabbergasted and for every reason why they said Derrek Lee should get it, he countered with a reason why Pujols is better.

The looks on their faces and anxiety in their voices over the decision to pick Pujols was priceless. PRICELESS. I was waiting, hell I was hoping, that one of those corporate kiss-ass bozos was going to start crying and say "But Derrek's a Cubbie".

slavko
07-28-2005, 12:41 AM
Chip Caray is much improved IMHO as an Atlanta Braves announcer. Announcing for the cubs does seem to take a terrible toll on a man.

I haven't heard Chip yet this year, but he's working with his dad who is not as glib as Chip or Harry, but is terse, accurate, and has a wickedly dry sense of humor. That alone might help.

doublem23
07-28-2005, 01:45 AM
Funny, my opinion is practically the exact opposite. I can't stand Kaspar's whiny voice and I can tolerate at least the tone of Brenly's voice. IMO they both suck; if I were a cub fan I'd still be wishing they had Stone and Chip. If I want a good laugh I listen to Santo and Hughes.

I can understand that. I dunno, I think I can kind of ignore a the tone of a voice as long as what's being said is mildly intelligent/entertaining. Kasper, though a Cubune-yes man isn't the worst play-by-play guy in the world and I think he wouldn't be too bad if he wasn't tied to an anchor by a 10 foot rope and then dropped in 20 feet of water. I get more insight out of the ****faced drunks at the bar when I watch the Sox and Cardinals than I ever get out of Bob Brenly.

Tragg
07-28-2005, 10:19 PM
I haven't heard Chip yet this year, but he's working with his dad who is not as glib as Chip or Harry, but is terse, accurate, and has a wickedly dry sense of humor. That alone might help.
I've heard him much too often this year - Chip is still terrible. And when he works with Joe Simpson, it's better than sominex.