balke
07-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Is he injured? Anyone know?

CHISOXFAN13
07-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Hit in the head from what Im hearing.

havelj
07-26-2005, 07:32 PM
"Pitcher Matt Clement of the Red Sox left the game in the bottom of the 3rd inning after being hit in the head by a line drive off the bat of Carl Crawford. Clement had to be carted from the field on a stretcher. He was replaced on the mound by Chad Bradford."

The Red Sox were up by 5 runs - but Bradford has served it up and now it's tied at 5!

ilsox7
07-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Here's hoping nothing is seriously wrong with Matt.

DaveIsHere
07-26-2005, 07:36 PM
From some of the decriptions on the Red Sox board it didnt sound pretty. Hopefully everything is OK, Man being a pitcher takes some guts.

Sounds like it hit him in the side of the head:(:

zach23
07-26-2005, 07:37 PM
I was watching it on MLB Extra Innings. He got hit in the side of the head with a line drive. It hit him so hard the ball went all the way out into left field after hitting him. He wasn't moving for a long time while laying there.

JB98
07-26-2005, 08:07 PM
I was watching it on MLB Extra Innings. He got hit in the side of the head with a line drive. It hit him so hard the ball went all the way out into left field after hitting him. He wasn't moving for a long time while laying there.

That's terrible. I'm amazed that incidents like this don't happen more often.

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2005, 08:09 PM
My Red Sox fan boyfriend said this is MUCH worse than when Zaun got hurt sliding into second base against us in early May...Yikes! I hope it's not too serious, because I want the Red Sox to be successful this season as well (aside from when they play us, that is).

akingamongstmen
07-26-2005, 08:11 PM
He was actually knocked off of his feet when the ball hit him. Good Lord, I hope he's ok. I think a lot of players and fans become complacent and don't realize how dangerous this game can be (especially for pitchers).

Vernam
07-26-2005, 08:12 PM
ESPN News just reported Clement went into shock on the field and is getting precautionary tests done at a hospital. They also said he was conscious and alert as he came off the field, though. Here's hoping for the best . . .

VC

SoxSpeed22
07-26-2005, 08:18 PM
A "Get well soon Clement" thread should be on the horizon. Even though this kinda is like one.

ode to veeck
07-26-2005, 08:24 PM
exerpt from AP, hope he's OK, no word from the hospital yet

Clement could be seen blinking his eyes when he was placed on the stretcher, and the Red Sox said he was conscious and alert as he was taken to a hospital near Tropicana Field for further evaluation.

After he was hit, Clement remained on the ground and barely moved for about five minutes before he was lifted onto the stretcher and immobilized with a neck brace. Replays showed the force of Crawford's liner knocked the All-Star pitcher completely off his feet.

The ball caromed off the back of Clement's head, just behind his right ear, into short left field for an RBI single in the third inning. Concerned teammates gathered around the fallen pitcher as medical personnel attended to him on the mound. The crowd cheered as he was carried off, but his arms remained strapped across his chest.

doublem23
07-26-2005, 08:48 PM
:mg:

Hope all is well... I don't really want to see Boston in the play-offs, but not this way.

Whitesox4ever
07-26-2005, 08:57 PM
My prayers go out to Clement and his family..

Does this mean the Redsox will go all out to get AJ Burnett

itsnotrequired
07-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Well that sucks.:(:

Hope everything works out for Matt.

balke
07-26-2005, 09:09 PM

Good question. This puts the Red Sox in a tough spot. Their pitching staff just went from good to mediocre. Wells, Schilling (not sharp yet), Miller, Wakefield, Arroyo. I don't know if Burnett can save them, but strictly as a PR move, they almost HAVE to go after this guy.

TornLabrum
07-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Bad location. IIRC that's where Ray Chapman got hit by Carl Mays. Here's hoping he's okay. I remember when Herb Score took one in the eye. He was never the same pitcher after that.

chisoxfan64
07-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Every time something like this happens, I think of the shot off of Wilbur Wood`s knee. I can still see it like it just happened yesterday. I hope Matt is OK.

soltrain21
07-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Apparently the catscans are negative and he never lost consciousness. He is in good spirits and will stay overnight. (edit - at the hospital)

Got this from a few Red Sox fans....doubt they would lie about this.

Get well soon, Matt...don't want to see anything ever happen like that.

Erik The Red
07-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Tampa had the lead going into the ninth, but the Fake Sox score 2 in the top half to tie it up.

Rocklive99
07-26-2005, 11:26 PM
Did he really go into shock? Yikes

Mr. White Sox
07-26-2005, 11:56 PM

Yes. Sanchez, Arroyo, and Shoppach (even Sanchez and Shoppach) would be overpaying, but they might actually do it considering the current circumstances and the overly demanding, almost Yankee-like fanbase.

Hope Clement is OK, that looked absolutely awful. If you haven't seen it yet, picture the oft-shown line drive by Hawpe off of Prior's arm. Now picture it hitting Clement's head.

Get well Matt.

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Apparently the catscans are negative and he never lost consciousness. He is in good spirits and will stay overnight. (edit - at the hospital)

Got this from a few Red Sox fans....doubt they would lie about this.

Get well soon, Matt...don't want to see anything ever happen like that.X-rays of Clement's head show nothing

Seriously, good news. We all hope he's OK so we can tatoo his ass next month in Boston.:cool:

DaleJRFan
07-27-2005, 10:22 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050726&content_id=1145648&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I am glad he is going to be ok. That was really scary. Gave me chills when I saw the replay.