PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Trade Article

DrGiggles
07-26-2005, 04:11 PM
I found this article very interesting to read. http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x26-lad1.htm

GoGoOzzie
07-26-2005, 04:17 PM
I found this article very interesting to read. http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x26-lad1.htm

Interesting. I just don't see where we really have a place with Griffey. Yes, the offensive production would be better than Rowand's, but I have a hard time justifying a move like this when Griffey is so injury-laden.

:smile:

DrGiggles
07-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Again interesting article, not agreeing with it.

MIgrenade
07-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Why is it that every guy on the trading block seems to be injury prone? Just sucks.

jackbrohamer
07-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Nice to know that all the sportswriters who didn't pick the White Sox to do anything at the start of the year now know exactly what the Sox need to do now in order to succeed.

Ol' No. 2
07-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Nice to know that all the sportswriters who didn't pick the White Sox to do anything at the start of the year now know exactly what the Sox need to do now in order to succeed.POTW!!!!

Randar68
07-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Interesting. I just don't see where we really have a place with Griffey. Yes, the offensive production would be better than Rowand's, but I have a hard time justifying a move like this when Griffey is so injury-laden.

:smile:

The big benefit is the Sox have abuilt-in insurance policy in Brian Anderson and Griffey could always DH a couple days a week to try to stay healthy. The DH would save him quite a bit of wear and tear...

Would I trade for a guy like Griffey to try to win this year?

I think you'd have to be out of your head not to. He's a better offensive player than anyone we have today and you're not sacrificing any defense! It may get you in the long run if he has another major injury, but isn't that where we are with Frank today?

We need to go for it and my contention has been from day 1 that unless you can get a legit ace or top-of-the-line closer type, then adding another middle-of-the-order-bat should be a much higher priority.

JMO, but Griffey is just that. He not only would upgrade the team, but he'd certainly bring a great deal of media adoration/attention to the team with him, IMO.

TheOldRoman
07-26-2005, 05:02 PM
I agree that we need to get Griffey. Here is the most important thing to remember:

People talk about Griffey's contract as an albatross, and a big reason why he won't get traded...
His contract is not Todd Helton's. His contract is big, but reasonable.
He is due $12.5 mil a year over the next three years. That sounds like a lot, but $6.5 mil a year is DEFERRED. The White Sox would only have to pay $6mil a year right now for Griffey through 08 with an option for 09. The Reds really want to move Griffey. They are content with having a $25mil payroll, and there is no way they can do that with this future hall of famer roaming center field.

If the Sox called the Reds and offered Timo and a mid level prospect for Griffey with the Sox picking up the entire contract, it might happen. That is how cheap and stupid the Reds are. They just want to unload the contract at any cost. If the Sox send McCarthy or other top prospects to the Reds, I think the Reds would go as far as picking up half of his remaining salary. Now, does it sounds like so much of an albatross if we are paying Griffey $6 mil a year? That is only a mil more than we payed E6 last year. We have desperately needed a left handed power hitting in this lineup for a long time. New isn't looking good on the Big Frank Front, so KW needs to make a move in the instance Frank is lost for the season. Griffey can DH until Frank comes back. When Frank comes back, he could rotate between DH, CF, and RF, playing around 5 days a week. It is well worth it.

As for Burnett, the more I think about it, the more I believe that KW will spin him to the Phillies for Wagner. We need one of the best closers of all time a lot more than we need a .500 starter with all the talent in the world.

Fred Manrique
07-26-2005, 05:40 PM
That is only a mil more than we payed E6 last year.

I have only been coming to this site for a couple of weeks, but it is easily my favorite nickname I've heard so far. Hilarious.

Tragg
07-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Why is it that every guy on the trading block seems to be injury prone? Just sucks.

Because their teams don't want them, and enduring love of the disabled list is one reason that some teams don't want some players.

Griffey is an impact player, so I'd do that deal. Our best prospects, aside from McCarthy are outflieders, and we can put one of those in there if he gets hurt after this year.

soxwon
07-26-2005, 09:57 PM
I see us getting Scott Eyre not wagner

SoxFan76
07-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Call me crazy...go ahead, do it....but if the Sox got Griffey I'd want him in center, Rowand in left, Dye in right....and Podsednik DH'ing.

Foulke You
07-26-2005, 11:16 PM
TWO BIGGEST POINTS FROM THE SOUTHTOWN ARTICLE-
"Would Griffey be a bit of a dice roll? Have Sox fans suffered long enough? "

"So forget Next Year. And the one after that. And the one after that. There may never be a better time for Next Year to arrive on the South Side than right now."

I think Ladewski hit the nail on the head here. Forget the future, as the 2000 team showed us, we may not smell the post season again for another 5 years. This team can really do something special this year. I really hope KW can make a move for a difference maker to solidfy our chances. 1917 was a very, very, very, long time ago.

Tragg
07-26-2005, 11:22 PM
I agree that we need to get Griffey. Here is the most important thing to remember:

People talk about Griffey's contract as an albatross, and a big reason why he won't get traded...
His contract is not Todd Helton's. His contract is big, but reasonable.
He is due $12.5 mil a year over the next three years. That sounds like a lot, but $6.5 mil a year is DEFERRED. The White Sox would only have to pay $6mil a year right now for Griffey through 08 with an option for 09. The Reds really want to move Griffey. They are content with having a $25mil payroll, and there is no way they can do that with this future hall of famer roaming center field.

If the Sox called the Reds and offered Timo and a mid level prospect for Griffey with the Sox picking up the entire contract, it might happen.

The deferred part of the deal is relevant and is what makes it a roll of the dice. Frankly, I'd like to see us apply a time value of money discount to the deferred portion and pay that to the Reds over this year in a virtual lump sum, and let them keep the deferred liability portion. That way we can match the extra expense with the extra revenue we're getting this year, and JR won't have an excuse to make us cut back 2 years from now.
And if we pick up that contact, we could get him for basically free.

slavko
07-27-2005, 10:31 AM
I have only been coming to this site for a couple of weeks, but it is easily my favorite nickname I've heard so far. Hilarious.

I thought of ol' Fred Manrique last night when Willie was flopping all over the field while impersonating a second baseman.