PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez requests trade

rowand33
07-26-2005, 03:43 PM
from rotoworld.com:

According to SI's Tom Verducci, Manny Ramirez wants to be traded from the Boston Red Sox. Again.
Ramirez reportedly told team officials he is unhappy in Boston, particularly with his lack of privacy off the field. This would be the third time in four years that Ramirez has requested a trade. The report also states the Red Sox have no intention of moving him. This most likely is just another of one Manny's many mood swings. Jul. 26 - 1:22 pm et

http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs/siexclusive/2005/pr/subs/siexclusive/07/25/verducci0802/index.html

DaleJRFan
07-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Can he DH?

Tekijawa
07-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Can he DH?

I think that's really all he can do... I wouldn't want him in MY OF!

MIgrenade
07-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Ya know, in only the second time I listened to MJH I heard either J or H refer to him as "Man Ram." Does anyone in the media bother listening to themselves anymore?

Mickster
07-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Hell, he can become a member of the White Sox and be completely ignored on and off the field by the media.

RKMeibalane
07-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Can he DH?

The Sox already have two DHs. The better question is, can he play 1B?

:walnuts

*gulp*

chisoxfan64
07-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Has Kenny contacted him yet?

thepaulbowski
07-26-2005, 03:53 PM
I think that's really all he can do... I wouldn't want him in MY OF!

With his offensive stats, I'd take him in my outfield. Move Dye to first base, Pods to right and let Manny patrol LF.

davenicholson
07-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Hell, he can become a member of the White Sox and be completely ignored on and off the field by the media.
Now THAT is the definitive reply!

dcb33
07-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Has Kenny contacted him yet?

I think this press conference was scheduled to announce "Man Ram's" trade to the Pale Hose:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54936&page=1&pp=15

hose
07-26-2005, 04:20 PM

This is quote of the week material.

Baby Fisk
07-26-2005, 04:22 PM
The man can't even wizz without getting on the national sportscasts! He must be some kind of tragically misunderstood creature...

The Dude
07-26-2005, 04:23 PM
from rotoworld.com:

According to SI's Tom Verducci, Manny Ramirez wants to be traded from the Boston Red Sox. Again.
Ramirez reportedly told team officials he is unhappy in Boston, particularly with his lack of privacy off the field. This would be the third time in four years that Ramirez has requested a trade. The report also states the Red Sox have no intention of moving him. This most likely is just another of one Manny's many mood swings. Jul. 26 - 1:22 pm et

http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs/siexclusive/2005/pr/subs/siexclusive/07/25/verducci0802/index.html

:hawk
"There's a reason this man makes 20 million dollars."

santo=dorf
07-26-2005, 04:38 PM
Gut Check time;
How many of you would be willing to not bring back Frank as the DH if we were able to get Manny in the offseason?

Kogs35
07-26-2005, 04:39 PM
rofl at espnews for finally picking the story up today lol

fquaye149
07-26-2005, 04:40 PM
With his offensive stats, I'd take him in my outfield. Move Dye to first base, Pods to right and let Manny patrol LF.

Pods in right? With his granny arm? ummmmm I'd rather see Pods in center Rowand in right - and TRUST ME: no one wants to see Pods in center

whitesoxfan
07-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Gut Check time;
How many of you would be willing to not bring back Frank as the DH if we were able to get Manny in the offseason?

it'd be a sad day if Frank ever left the White Sox. The guy can still produce at a high rate when healthy too. I'd much rather let go of Konerko and try to go after Manny.

sircaffey1
07-26-2005, 04:48 PM
it'd be a sad day if Frank ever left the White Sox. The guy can still produce at a high rate when healthy too. I'd much rather let go of Konerko and try to go after Manny.

It's time for Frank to move on. Deep down, don't want to see it, but it's the right baseball move. A Kerry Wood-like on and off injured isn't fair to the team or management. I don't want to have to waste money on a good backup DH like Carl just because Frank may get injured. Pick up a healthy hitter and move on...I would drop Frank in a second for Manny.

TaylorStSox
07-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Remember when they put him waivers last year? Not one team wanted the guy. He can hit but, no thanks.

DarkCloudDropo
07-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Remember when they put him waivers last year? Not one team wanted the guy. He can hit but, no thanks.

Lol. Every team wanted him! No one wanted his contract!

Foulke You
07-26-2005, 07:00 PM
I doubt the Red Sox would put Manny out there for any contending American League team to grab. Anyway, I don't think Manny is going anywhere.

You gotta love the attitude on Ramirez, he passes on re-signing with Cleveland a few years ago for the big bucks in Boston and now is upset that he has no privacy and has complained about everything since joining the Carmines. At $17 million a year, my heart is bleeding for him. The poor guy.

TaylorStSox
07-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Lol. Every team wanted him! No one wanted his contract!

You, my friend, are a genius.

bennyw41
07-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Ya know, in only the second time I listened to MJH I heard either J or H refer to him as "Man Ram." Does anyone in the media bother listening to themselves anymore?

You're kidding right?

RKMeibalane
07-27-2005, 08:27 AM
Gut Check time;

It depends on what happens with Konerko, to a certain extent. Obviously, Frank cannot play first base on a regular basis, but since it's likley that Everett won't be back next season, I'm hesitant to let both Thomas and Konerko leave. If Manny can play 1B, then there's no reason why Frank can't stay and DH. OTOH, if Frank's ankle continues to be a problem, the Sox probably shouldn't him back, regardless of what other players do.

mccoydp
07-27-2005, 08:29 AM
The Sox already have two DHs. The better question is, can he play 1B?

:timo:

"I can!"

fquaye149
07-27-2005, 11:09 AM
You, my friend, are a genius.

except a trade assumes that Boston would be sending money as well.

Think about it - if Boston couldn't give him away, a trade would certain either involve sending someone with an oversized contract to Boston thus clearing salary space or Boston sending money, making Manny's contract more manageable.

Nobody wanted Manny when it meant adding, what?, 20 million? to payroll...but if it means only adding, say, 10 million...it's a whole new ballgame.

Hangar18
07-27-2005, 11:34 AM

Think about it - if Boston couldn't give him away, a trade would certain either involve sending someone with an oversized contract to Boston thus clearing salary space or Boston sending money, making Manny's contract more manageable.

Nobody wanted Manny when it meant adding, what?, 20 million? to payroll...but if it means only adding, say, 10 million...it's a whole new ballgame.

The Chicago Media ...........very shortly........... will FURIOUSLY begin trying to get Manny Ramirez in a Cubs uniform. Look for this to start in 4.......3......2.......1.....

fquaye149
07-27-2005, 11:48 AM
The Chicago Media ...........very shortly........... will FURIOUSLY begin trying to get Manny Ramirez in a Cubs uniform. Look for this to start in 4.......3......2.......1.....

lol...oh hangar

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2005, 12:38 PM

Nobody wanted Manny when it meant adding, what?, 20 million? to payroll...but if it means only adding, say, 10 million...it's a whole new ballgame.Same old Manny. He's been bitching as long as he's been there. The Red Sox are NOT going to pay someone to take him. He's not going anywhere. Faggediboudit.

mcfish
07-28-2005, 03:27 PM
With his offensive stats, I'd take him in my outfield. Move Dye to first base, Pods to right and let Manny patrol LF.Pods in right? With his granny arm? ummmmm I'd rather see Pods in center Rowand in right - and TRUST ME: no one wants to see Pods in centerAlong those same lines, why would you put the best arm on the team at first?

LongLiveFisk
07-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Unhappy in Boston at $20 mil/yr? Hell, you can put me in Siberia for a year at that amount and I'll be thrilled! :D:

fquaye149
07-28-2005, 03:50 PM
[b]Along those same lines, why would you put the best arm on the team at first?
[/i]

Well, in theory if Manny HAD to play the outfield here (pipe dreaming yes, i know, yes), he'd only be fit for left. That would mean moving the rest of the OF around...the best fit would probably be Scott in center, Rowand in right, Dye at first. But that's moot because even in the remotest of possibilities of Manny coming here, he would almost 100% play DH

Beauty35thStreet
07-28-2005, 04:25 PM
You can keep Big Frank and have Ramirez.

I say go after him, but bring back Frank and have a musical chairs between Manny, Pods, Konerko (if able to resign), ARow, Frank, Dye. Konerko and Dye can split some time at 1B and Manny can have Right with Dye. Pods and Manny can split Left with Pods taking center when ARow gets the day off. Frank would have to accept a more limited role, but I think this can work considering the Sox are already doing this to begin with all those players, minus Manny and add Carl.

In terms of talent, I agree with this quote:
It's time for Frank to move on. Deep down, don't want to see it, but it's the right baseball move. A Kerry Wood-like on and off injured isn't fair to the team or management. I don't want to have to waste money on a good backup DH like Carl just because Frank may get injured. Pick up a healthy hitter and move on...I would drop Frank in a second for Manny.
However, Manny is a drama queen, and an expensive one at that. Was Albert Belle worth the trouble? All we got was one year with him.

In addition, in terms of heart and loyalty, I would gladly bring back Frank to finish up his career. If you want Manny that bad, you get rid of someone else and not Frank.

In addition, this isn't a young phenom we'd be getting, we'd be getting someone that is 32 I think and supposedly is a drama queen. 3 trade requests in 4 years? Boston even got sick of him.

santo=dorf
07-28-2005, 04:49 PM
However, Manny is a drama queen, and an expensive one at that. Was Albert Belle worth the trouble? All we got was one year with him.

Belle was an all-star in 97 and nearly won the triple crown in 1998. I would love to have a guy who puts up numbers for the next three years similar to what Belle did for the Sox. Boston isn't the same as the South Side of Chicago, and Ozzie Guillen isn't the same as Francona or Grady.

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Well, in theory if Manny HAD to play the outfield here (pipe dreaming yes, i know, yes), he'd only be fit for left. That would mean moving the rest of the OF around...the best fit would probably be Scott in center, Rowand in right, Dye at first. But that's moot because even in the remotest of possibilities of Manny coming here, he would almost 100% play DHBut Manny wants to play LF. So if he was DH'ing, he'd be unhappy and want to be traded.:tongue:

fquaye149
07-28-2005, 05:42 PM
But Manny wants to play LF. So if he was DH'ing, he'd be unhappy and want to be traded.:tongue:

damn you manny!

Deadguy
07-28-2005, 08:09 PM
However, Manny is a drama queen, and an expensive one at that.

I still remember one game in which he showed up in Cleveland's dugout with lots of mascara all over his face. That fashion statement really put the QUEEN in drama queen.

There is no way around it. The guy is dumb as rocks. When a reporter asked him how it felt to pass Babe Ruth in post season homeruns, he simply replied, "Why don't you ask him how it feels to be passed by me?".

Would I want him on my team, though? HELL YEAH.

GregoryEtc
07-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Manny in left, Pods in center, Dye in right.
Send Boston Aaron and Marte (they need a closer anyway)... (and sorry, they're going to want someone of some value)

1. pods
2. iguchi
3. manny
4. PK
5. Thomas/Everett
6. a.j.
7. dye
8. crede
9. uribe

Parade to follow.