PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Ivy Curtain

TheDarkGundam
07-26-2005, 02:52 PM
I went to the Cubs/Giants game Monday with my sister and dad, 'cause my sister (Cubs fan) LOVES Moises Alou (pees on his hands). Anyway, based on advice from WSI's own Hal Vickery, I diddn't wear Sox stuff. It was the first time i've been to Wrigley since I was 5 and I was not impressed.
First, traffic was a nightmare, parking was a nightmare, it really makes you appreciate how the Cell has a parking lot. The food isn't very good and the concourse is to narrow.
Of course, any trip to the North Side isn't complete without a trip to Wrigley's legendary restrooms. I wonder why more places don't use a trough?
Then, there was the fans. At one point a Giants player hit a homerun, some guy caught it, sat back down with a big smile and had to listen 40,000 people boo him for not throwing it back. Of course, a few minutes later he threw "it" back (btw, i wonder if he knows he was on SportsCenter, caught switching the balls). Then there was the guy standing up screaming "Go Cubs Go" despite the fact that no one else was saying it, and the people behind him could'nt see.
There was one positive aspect, a solemn reminder as to which is the REAL team in Chicago, the scoreboard showing the Sox dominating KC.
Anyone else have a story about going to hallowed Wrigley field?

ShoelessJoeS
07-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Anyone else have a story about going to hallowed Wrigley field?
Fortunately, no

Hangar18
07-26-2005, 03:01 PM
I was there one time during the 1993 season ......
I remember someone saying the sox stunk, and I said Whos in 1st?
Quieted them quickly

Iwritecode
07-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Of course, any trip to the North Side isn't complete without a trip to Wrigley's legendary restrooms. I wonder why more places don't use a trough?

I'm sure if Daver sees this he'll chime in but I believe it's a health code violation.

Plus it makes the place stink very much bad.

SOXfnNlansing
07-26-2005, 03:08 PM
here's one of my memories this seasonhttp://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2870

C-Dawg
07-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Anyway, based on advice from WSI's own Hal Vickery, I diddn't wear Sox stuff.

I wore Sox stuff but was travling "incognito" - an old, faded 87-90 cursive-c Sox hat, and a T-shirt that had a picture of Ozzie Guillen on it, also from the late-80s. I don't think there was a single person there in that ballpark that recognized it as Sox stuff LOL.

Anyway, I've only been there twice as an adult, after being there a few times as a kid 20+ years ago. Its not impressive - once you get used to the Cell, with its open, airy concourses, great sightlines, comfortable seats, ample parking, etc, etc, Wrigley Field just seems like an old, cramped, minor-league field.

Chips
07-26-2005, 09:19 PM
During the first game of the series this year. The Sox kicked ass. There were plenty of Lets Go White Sox chants, as well as a Paul-E chant, which some dumb flub fan kept mocking after PK's first few at bats. He was silenced after PK came through with an RBI. I also had to sit behind a pole and kept leaning forward to see a pitch.

Some older women in the row before us kept giving us beers and then we went to John Barleycorns afterwords and met Mac and Harry. Jurko is a flubs fan and a packer fan, so we saw no need to meet him.

I hate the north side.

Letmehearya
07-26-2005, 09:28 PM
I was there in the summer of 1984 sitting in the rightfield bleachers in full Mets regalia. I proceeded to argue [with tongue firmly in cheek] to these misfits that Daryl Strawberry was the greatest left-handed hitter in the history of baseball. As fate would have it, Strawberry hit 2 homeruns that night. By the end of the game, these idiots actually believed Strawberry was the greatest lefthanded hitter in baseball history. Morons. I guess they forgot Cobb, Williams, Ruth, Gehrig et alJust remember this when you a cub fan say something asinine - "They'll never let you down."

TomBradley72
07-27-2005, 01:21 AM
Opening Day 1990...went to the White Sox home opener during the day...Cubs game that night (many beers and other party favors with a Cub fan friend of mine). On an infield grounder the throw pulled the 1B off the bag but he swiped a tag on the Cubs runner as he went by...and he was called out. The Cub fans right in front of me couldn't believe the umpire missed the call because the !B's foot left the bag. I patiently explained this baseball 101 play to them...turned to my Cub fan friend and just shook my head.

bunnybrief
07-27-2005, 07:47 AM
I've been there - it was no big deal.

I'm sure there are more scandalous stories elsewhere, in the archives.

Hitmen77
07-27-2005, 09:20 AM
I have always thought that, aside from the ivy outfield walls, the rest of Wrigley looks pretty ugly. That exterior wall facing Addison has ugly concrete slabs and then an unsightly chain-link fence up where the seats are. The concessions area looks terrible.

People are obsessed about the "gap" between the outfield wall and the seats at the Cell? What about those awful chain-link baskets at Wrigley? They look like they belong on a fence at some auto pound.

I guess marketing is everything. They've convinced the public that Wrigley is a "beautiful hallowed shrine" and people are stupid enough to believe it.

itsnotrequired
07-27-2005, 12:19 PM
There is a discussion about Chicago hosting the 2016 Olympics on a skyscraper message board I post to. Someone on there claimed how baseball would just have to be played at Wrigley. I informed him how no way the city would want the international community to think that sports in America involve crowded concourses, crummy sightlines and peeing in troughs. Could you imagine the coverage in the international press?

All of it is moot anyway since the IOC has dropped baseball as an Olympic sport. Maybe they could have a Jimmy Buffet concert there instead?