PDA

View Full Version : Sox Talk on ESPN Radio

Black Sox
07-26-2005, 01:34 PM
This guy Eric whatever is talking some mad trash about the Sox right now. He's really annoying. He calls the ballpark generic. He says a good portion of attendance is made up of the opposing team's fans. He says the Sox as they currently are, would not be good enough to make it to the World Series. He said the Twins probably have a better chance at the series than the Sox do. And finally he says he "hopes" the Sox can win a series in the playoffs.

tlebar318
07-26-2005, 01:36 PM
this is just normal ESPN garbage.....it just rolls off of me at this point--Let's see what they say when we do make it deep into the playoffs! :D:

fquaye149
07-26-2005, 01:37 PM
This guy Eric whatever is talking some mad trash about the Sox right now. He's really annoying. He calls the ballpark generic. He says a good portion of attendance is made up of the opposing team's fans. He says the Sox as they currently are, would not be good enough to make it to the World Series. He said the Twins probably have a better chance at the series than the Sox do. And finally he says he "hopes" the Sox can win a series in the playoffs.

If he thinks the twins have a better chance he's not worth giving the time of day.

Their pitching staff is worse than ours, our bullpens are comparable.

However, their lineup is pathetic. Toriiiiiiiii and his .260 average are carrying that squad. So yeah. The Twins are very little this year, which is too bad, because it won't be quite as sweet if we win the division.

tacosalbarojas
07-26-2005, 01:38 PM
Doesn't ESPN need this guy reporting live from 49er camp or something?

SOXfnNlansing
07-26-2005, 01:39 PM
:whocares

Lip Man 1
07-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Agreed.

Any network that is starting a sports/ Hollywood show with a former member of 'Saved By The Bell' as a co-host is no longer credible.

Lip

Mendoza Line
07-26-2005, 01:48 PM
What boggles my mind is that the Sox are STILL ESPN radio's product for the rest of this year... They're essentially saying "Not only is our product less than mediocre, we want you to use someone else's." I cant think of any other medium besides sports radio where stepping on the toes of all your OWN patrons is acceptable.

Eric and ESPN =:dtroll:

Hitmen77
07-26-2005, 01:48 PM
This guy Eric whatever is talking some mad trash about the Sox right now. He's really annoying. He calls the ballpark generic. He says a good portion of attendance is made up of the opposing team's fans....

Same old Sox-bashing tripe that we've heard for years. Yawn!

Hangar18
07-26-2005, 01:49 PM
YUP. Typical ESPN and Media insight. I said this would happen didnt I?
What did I say would happen you ask? The Media would become very angry
and Agitated the More the WHite SOX keep winning, and especially so if the Cubs find themselves fading fading faaaaaaaaaaading in the division.
If the SOX keep winning, you'll start seeing a flurry of NEGATIVE articles about the fans, the park, the team etc etc.
If the Cubs happen to win 1 in a row, look for spontaneous celebrations and frenzied media coverage in an effort to offset and neutralize what the sox are doing. There no reason the BEST team in Baseball, 31 games over .500, 1st Place SOX should only get 5 stories of coverage in the papers while the 3rd place 3 games over .500 cubs get 11 stories. NO WAY

Kogs35
07-26-2005, 01:58 PM
YUP. Typical ESPN and Media insight. I said this would happen didnt I?
What did I say would happen you ask? The Media would become very angry
and Agitated the More the WHite SOX keep winning, and especially so if the Cubs find themselves fading fading faaaaaaaaaaading in the division.
If the SOX keep winning, you'll start seeing a flurry of NEGATIVE articles about the fans, the park, the team etc etc.
If the Cubs happen to win 1 in a row, look for spontaneous celebrations and frenzied media coverage in an effort to offset and neutralize what the sox are doing. There no reason the BEST team in Baseball, 31 games over .500, 1st Place SOX should only get 5 stories of coverage in the papers while the 3rd place 3 games over .500 cubs get 11 stories. NO WAY

sooner or later u will see espn unforunatly try and sell the sox because in the playoffs if fox doesnt take espn will have to and they will have to sell the product if they want there so called good ratings.

Hondo
07-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Agreed.

Any network that is starting a sports/ Hollywood show with a former member of 'Saved By The Bell' as a co-host is no longer credible.

Lip

And not just any Saved By the Bell cast member, but MARIO "AC Slater" LOPEZ!!!!

Just because ESPN is the biggest all-sports network out there doesn't give them credibility.
We can go over and over their east coast bias till we're blue in the face.

It is a shame though that for the uniformed masses, they glean their knowledge of the White Sox from the likes of Dan Patrick and Eric Kuesilias (sp).

P.S. -- Big ups to Jim Armstrong from the Denver Post for picking the White Sox yesterday on ATH as the team to beat.

Iguana775
07-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Until the Sox continually do something in the playoffs, this will continue to happen.

:whocares:

Over By There
07-26-2005, 02:13 PM
This is the third active thread going on this idiot. I see consolidation in the future of this thread.

scottjanssens
07-26-2005, 02:16 PM
He says a good portion of attendance is made up of the opposing team's fans.

Have you been to a game lately? He's right.

itsnotrequired
07-26-2005, 02:20 PM

If by "lately" you mean the last four games.:redneck

pdimas
07-26-2005, 02:21 PM

What no teal? I was at every game last week and while there were a lot of fans of the other teams the overwhelming majority was WS fans. I have to disagree.

scottjanssens
07-26-2005, 02:52 PM
What no teal? I was at every game last week and while there were a lot of fans of the other teams the overwhelming majority was WS fans. I have to disagree.

He didn't say "majority", he said "good portion". Yes, a good portion of the crowd, say 15-20% were for the Red Sox this weekend. And it's not just the Red Sox or Cubs games, there were many Detroit fans in attendence last week. Certainly less a percentage than the Red Sox or Cubs games but enough that there was significant cheering whenever the Tigers got on base.

FoulTerritory
07-26-2005, 03:01 PM
The stadium aspect of his rants really annoys me.

People are WAY too caught up in stadiums these days. Anymore, the media seem to think that baseball is a competition for who can build the oldest looking stadium and/or who has the oldest stadium. Who gives a crap!

And by the way, Shea stadium is the biggest heap of dung on earth, but you rarely hear the national media ragging on it . . . . odd.

Rocklive99
07-26-2005, 03:03 PM
He didn't say "majority", he said "good portion". Yes, a good portion of the crowd, say 15-20% were for the Red Sox this weekend. And it's not just the Red Sox or Cubs games, there were many Detroit fans in attendence last week. Certainly less a percentage than the Red Sox or Cubs games but enough that there was significant cheering whenever the Tigers got on base.

And I'll be willing to bet that a majority of that "good portion" you claim were Flub fans who either can't afford to buy their own scalped tickets or who are losers who won't admit that our park is better, but come to boo. There's other things I'd like to say but I don't want to turn it into one of those threads.

So this radio guy is going after the Sox again, another ESPN guy with a personal vendetta or something, yes, it makes sense to rip on the Sox because he doesn't like their stadium or fanbase, so he praises the Twins who play in a much nicer venue. If you think a team is better (which is ridiculous in itself since the Sox have used all year making this ESPN guys look like idiots) then say that, but what does the stadium or anything like that have to do with it, this guy was already unbearable to listen to in the past, good to know that he's an idiot too.

Black Sox
07-26-2005, 03:07 PM
The point this radio personality made about the attendance seemed to be based on him going to only one series this year which happened to be the Red Sox series.

This guy hasn't watched our team all year, therefor he has no real grounds to pass judgements about our team. He has to ask other people why the Sox win since he can't see it in his espn statistic book. Of course he's gonna pick the teams he sees on tv all the time to go to the series ahead of the Sox. He knows nothing about this team. Which is exactly why I brought up this topic.

ESPN has retarded our minds. Its made us believe that certain attributes and statistics that players have are what wins. When the truth is, its the little things like defense, pitching, situational hitting, and chemistry that wins. All these little things that they consistently fail to mention. Us Sox fans realize that our style of play wins because we witnessed last years team and this years team to compare the two.

Last years team is your typical ESPN winning brand of ballplayers. Guys that put up numbers that look good on paper. But that doesn't do jack for you if you can't get the runner in from third with less than two outs in the ninth.

scottjanssens
07-26-2005, 03:10 PM
And I'll be willing to bet that a majority of that "good portion" you claim were Flub fans who either can't afford to buy their own scalped tickets or who are losers who won't admit that our park is better, but come to boo. There's other things I'd like to say but I don't want to turn it into one of those threads.

A lot of people have been saying this but I sat around a ton of Red Sox fans during the series, even in the scout seats, and every single one of them was decent. Sure they cheered for their team but they didn't boo the Sox. It was obvious they understood baseball, they didn't talk smack, and they could carry on an intellegent conversation. Clearly not Cubs fans.

SSN721
07-26-2005, 03:30 PM
This guy is a jackass, he always has been a jackass and always will be a jackass. I first heard him on the Sports Brothers show in 2003 right before that fateful series in Yankee Stadium with the Neal Cotts game 3. I thought he was a die hard Yankees fan the way he was pumping them up. Every time I heard him it is Yankees, Yankees, Yankees. Which is crazy since he and his brother claim to be die-hard Red Sox fans, I think it shows how screwed up his head is. They dumped his brother to make it Sports Bash but they should have dumped Eric as well, they are both idiots. And the worse is that he has his own show and fills in anytime anyone take vacation or is sick. Its starting to become Eric Sports Entertainment Network. This guy makes me want to throw up and the next time he makes intelligent analysis will be the first time. Screw him, I have stopped listening to DP and to this joker months ago.

SSN721
07-26-2005, 03:30 PM
A lot of people have been saying this but I sat around a ton of Red Sox fans during the series, even in the scout seats, and every single one of them was decent. Sure they cheered for their team but they didn't boo the Sox. It was obvious they understood baseball, they didn't talk smack, and they could carry on an intellegent conversation. Clearly not Cubs fans.

Not all of them, there were some real asses in the skybox over section 342 in the club level. Very very obnoxious individuals. So I would not say all.

kitekrazy
07-26-2005, 03:54 PM
A lot of people have been saying this but I sat around a ton of Red Sox fans during the series, even in the scout seats, and every single one of them was decent. Sure they cheered for their team but they didn't boo the Sox. It was obvious they understood baseball, they didn't talk smack, and they could carry on an intellegent conversation.

It's people like that who could never land a job with ESPN.

lukesappling
07-26-2005, 04:03 PM
You guys are getting it all wrong...No, a preponderance of the crowd isn't made up of opposing fans. Of course there are always going to be fans of the other team, just like there are Sox fans in Detroit or Cleveland. However, this isn't unusual. Eric is an idiot. How does he explain the spike in attendance? Opposing fans might be coming to Sox games this season, but they've been going to Sox games for years. BoSox fans show up everywhere, regardless of whether they're playing at Wrigley or Comiskey.

HawkDJ
07-26-2005, 04:15 PM
Come back Dan Patrick!

Andy T Clown
07-26-2005, 04:24 PM
The stadium aspect of his rants really annoys me.

People are WAY too caught up in stadiums these days. Anymore, the media seem to think that baseball is a competition for who can build the oldest looking stadium and/or who has the oldest stadium. Who gives a crap!

And by the way, Shea stadium is the biggest heap of dung on earth, but you rarely hear the national media ragging on it . . . . odd.

Bigger heap of dung than the Urinal?

Sxy Mofo
07-26-2005, 04:30 PM
I haven't read this whole, but wanted to make a comment about fans of other teams in the stadium. That happens everywhere with every team. Especially when teams out of the division and especially out of the league come to play.

Most teams will only visit the cell once, some only twice this year. This guy didn't pay attention when sox fans swarmed coors field when the sox came (my experience), and they do the same thing at every other park. It happens. When you don't live in the home city of your team, you'll get tickets early to the games they'll play in.

mark2olson
07-26-2005, 04:42 PM
The point this radio personality made about the attendance seemed to be based on him going to only one series this year which happened to be the Red Sox series.

This guy hasn't watched our team all year, therefor he has no real grounds to pass judgements about our team. He has to ask other people why the Sox win since he can't see it in his espn statistic book. Of course he's gonna pick the teams he sees on tv all the time to go to the series ahead of the Sox. He knows nothing about this team. Which is exactly why I brought up this topic.

ESPN has retarded our minds. Its made us believe that certain attributes and statistics that players have are what wins. When the truth is, its the little things like defense, pitching, situational hitting, and chemistry that wins. All these little things that they consistently fail to mention. Us Sox fans realize that our style of play wins because we witnessed last years team and this years team to compare the two.

Last years team is your typical ESPN winning brand of ballplayers. Guys that put up numbers that look good on paper. But that doesn't do jack for you if you can't get the runner in from third with less than two outs in the ninth.

Amen to your sentiment regarding ESPN retarding our minds. What struck me as odd, in Mr. Kasilias,' or whatever his last name may be, diatribe is that he contrasted his experience at Busch Stadium to his experience at the Cel. He was effusive in describing Busch and, apparently, met some woman, attired from head to toe in Cardinal red, who was knowledgeable about baseball. From there, he generalized that all Cardinal fans were knowledgeable. In contrast, he stated that he asked several Sox fans why the Sox were winning. He stated that these fans said 'I don't know' (and, in true, ESPN, dramatic style, repeated the I don't know three times with a pause in between each utterance). From there, of course, he generalized that all Sox fans were not knowledgeable about the game. Then he continued his diatribe about how he didn't understand how the Sox were winning.

One could expect no less from the official propaganda arm of the Yankees and the Red Sox.

It occurred to me that this, er, gentleman, has no knowledge of the game nor the credentials to be expounding, as it were, over the air waves. I thought about all of the times that our pitchers threw first pitch strikes, how many times our hitters, up and down the lineup, moved a runner from second to third on a grounder to second (displaying the patience to wait for an outside or inside pitch depending on which side of the plate they were swinging from), how many times we made the defensive play because of hustle. I agree wholeheartedly with Black Sox' sentiment, we are doing the little things and, with those little things, we are winning ball games. ESPN, as is the usual case these days, has once again filled the air with a bunch of meaningless drivel.

thepaulbowski
07-26-2005, 04:49 PM

:rolleyes: Was it a "good portion" of Oriole fans that were here earlier in the year? Was it a "good portioin" of A's fans that were at the park before the All-Star break? Was it a "good portion" of Tiger fans here last week? If somebody can't give a team or its fans there due, then piss on them and those who fall for their crap.

scottjanssens
07-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Was it a "good portion" of Tiger fans here last week? If you'd actually read my entire comment then you'd know the answer to that question.

scottjanssens
07-26-2005, 05:13 PM
It's people like that who could never land a job with ESPN.I'm heartbroken.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Hangar says:

"There no reason the BEST team in Baseball, 31 games over .500, 1st Place SOX should only get 5 stories of coverage in the papers while the 3rd place 3 games over .500 cubs get 11 stories. NO WAY."

Hangar, with respect I can think of 25 years worth of reasons starting with SportsVision.

'Chicago has always been a Cubs town...'--Jerry Reinsdorf to ESPN Radio 1000 June 2002.

Lip

fquaye149
07-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Hangar says:

"There no reason the BEST team in Baseball, 31 games over .500, 1st Place SOX should only get 5 stories of coverage in the papers while the 3rd place 3 games over .500 cubs get 11 stories. NO WAY."

Hangar, with respect I can think of 25 years worth of reasons starting with SportsVision.

'Chicago has always been a Cubs town...'--Jerry Reinsdorf to ESPN Radio 1000 June 2002.

Lip

Understood - but Lip - the old man's trying. He's trying hard - he raised payroll...he hired a great new advertising guy...

He ****ed up big time in the past, no doubt about it...but he's got a really top notch product this year. Top notch.

TornLabrum
07-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Eric Kuesilias (sp).

I think his name is Erika Sillyass.

hosieryofthegods
07-26-2005, 07:10 PM
that's what I call him.:D:

Lip Man 1
07-26-2005, 11:22 PM
fquaye:

Granted...but Hangar's comment was about lack of coverage and in my opinion the reason is because of 25 years worth of PR blunders. That can't be overcome in a season no matter how good that season is. I hope though it doesn't take 25 more years for it to be corrected.

Lip

Rocklive99
07-27-2005, 12:07 AM
You guys are getting it all wrong...No, a preponderance of the crowd isn't made up of opposing fans. Of course there are always going to be fans of the other team, just like there are Sox fans in Detroit or Cleveland. However, this isn't unusual. Eric is an idiot. How does he explain the spike in attendance? Opposing fans might be coming to Sox games this season, but they've been going to Sox games for years. BoSox fans show up everywhere, regardless of whether they're playing at Wrigley or Comiskey.

Exactly, and even if that were the case, what does that have to say about the team? Nothing. There were a fair share of Red Sox fans at Wrigley for their series and White Sox fans when we played there, to which the cheers outnumbered the Flub fans, to bring up just this case is stupid.

I didn't hear his little rant because I don't really listen that much to ESPN, especially that time slot, but I think it was actually only one game.

I tuned in quickly real fast while shaving to hear what the big fuss was all about and you could instantly tell the guy was a jag. He said something to the effect of "And my listeners know I tell my opinion, even when people don't like it. Heck, I took on all of White Sock [yes, I think he actually said Sock instead of Sox] Nation". Wow, what a big man, he's just trying to stur up stuff, and he's lucky we're on the road or Hawk would've called in and gave him a quick lesson.