PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Willie

hawkjt
07-26-2005, 12:53 PM
He gets trashed constantly on here so I thought a 3 hit 2rbi performance deserved a little attention. I wish we had gotten Tony G to be the back up but looks like we could just stick with willie. When I saw Luna for the Cards steal second with 2 out bottom of the 9th down 1run (then scoring the tying run against the cubs sunday nite)it reminded me how Roberts steal for Boston last year turned that series around against the yanks. Willie might just end up stealing a base in the playoffs as a pinch runner that could be the diff in advancing to the WS or not. I like speed on the bench and he seems more confident on the basepaths lately. It does have to hard to get in a hitting groove when you play like 1 game every 10 days. Get hot willie- save your job!!!

Madvora
07-26-2005, 12:55 PM
I like Willie a lot more this year in this role and I do think he's valuable off the bench for just that reason. I'd rather have him than Timo on any playoff roster.

The Dude
07-26-2005, 12:57 PM
He gets trashed constantly on here so I thought a 3 hit 2rbi performance deserved a little attention. I wish we had gotten Tony G to be the back up but looks like we could just stick with willie. When I saw Luna for the Cards steal second with 2 out bottom of the 9th down 1run (then scoring the tying run against the cubs sunday nite)it reminded me how Roberts steal for Boston last year turned that series around against the yanks. Willie might just end up stealing a base in the playoffs as a pinch runner that could be the diff in advancing to the WS or not. I like speed on the bench and he seems more confident on the basepaths lately. It does have to hard to get in a hitting groove when you play like 1 game every 10 days. Get hot willie- save your job!!!

One game doesnt change mine or most people on this board's mind on the concept that Willie must go ASAP! Congrats on the good game Willie, maybe we can package you a little easier now.

SOXfnNlansing
07-26-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm happy for him (and us) that he had a good game. I just don't feel comfortable when he is batting or when a ball is hit his way. Like the situation with vizz the fizz, I just have to put my faith in Ozzie; he has to know more about the team than I do.

The Dude
07-26-2005, 12:59 PM
I like Willie a lot more this year in this role and I do think he's valuable off the bench for just that reason. I'd rather have him than Timo on any playoff roster.

While I will agree that I'd take Willie over Timo, thats not saying much at all. Neither of them deserve a MLB roster spot. Timo should be playing in Japan and Willie should be in AAA working on how to hit and steal a damn base with all that speed he has.

Madvora
07-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Willie should be in AAA working on how to hit and steal a damn base with all that speed he has.
Don't forget bunting.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Great! Now the time to deal him when his 'value' is at its highest!

LOL

Lip

kittle42
07-26-2005, 01:50 PM
One game doesnt change mine or most people on this board's mind on the concept that Willie must go ASAP! Congrats on the good game Willie, maybe we can package you a little easier now.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner, folks!

One game does not turn you from pine-riding poor excuse for a MLB player to solid backup.

ilsox7
07-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Willie's game last night is an example of the old phrase: Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

For the Sox sake, I hope Willie keeps it up until he is demoted.

maurice
07-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Calm down, boys. The 25th man on a MLB roster is never an outstanding player -- nor is the league full of outstanding backup 2Bs. Come playoff time, Harris will be exclusively used as a pinch runner, assuming he even makes the playoff roster.

ilsox7
07-26-2005, 01:57 PM
Calm down, boys. The 25th man on a MLB roster is never an outstanding player -- nor is the league full of outstanding backup 2Bs. Come playoff time, Harris will be exclusively used as a pinch runner, assuming he even makes the playoff roster.

If Willie knew how to steal bases (a la Pods) and get a bunt down, he'd be valuable to this team. He knows how to do neither, therefore his value as the 25th man is minimal.

fledgedrallycap
07-26-2005, 02:11 PM
To say Willie has under achieved would be an understatement. Hawk and DJ spent a little time dancing around this subject last night, mentioning how Harris is a classic example of talent not being the sole requirement to succeed in the big leauges. Mainly because, if that were the case he would be a sensational player, but he has **** for brains and must be one stuborn son of a bitch.

Regardless, I think Willie still provides a lot of value in his CURRENT role. That is, giving Iguchi the occassional day off, speed in late innings off the bench and last resort outfield depth.

This isn't to say he's not expendable and an upgrade if available would be welcomed.

Vernam
07-26-2005, 02:21 PM
He gets trashed constantly on here so I thought a 3 hit 2rbi performance deserved a little attention.In a 14-6 win? Where's Shoota when we need him? The 3 hits and 2 rbi mean way less to me than if he'd occasionally move a runner from second to third.

VC

maurice
07-26-2005, 02:31 PM
If Willie knew how to steal bases (a la Pods) and get a bunt down, he'd be valuable to this team.

Harris is 8-10 in SB this year in only 39 games and 47-58 for his career.
Pinch runners don't need to bunt . . . or hit . . . or field.

ilsox7
07-26-2005, 03:29 PM

Looks like I am proven wrong! Good to see Willie have some base stealing success.

bafiarocks03
07-26-2005, 04:10 PM
YEa Willie did so good yesterday! See he does good when he starts! He just need to get playing time, then he'll start doing better! D.J. said yesterday, that WIllie had more talent then he's shown this season, he needs to get some things straight in his head or something like that! GO WILLIE!

slavko
07-26-2005, 05:06 PM

When criticizing Willie, it is permissable to ignore trivia like his % of successful SB's or his BA when he plays regularly.

SoxFan76
07-26-2005, 06:16 PM
YEa Willie did so good yesterday! See he does good when he starts! He just need to get playing time, then he'll start doing better! D.J. said yesterday, that WIllie had more talent then he's shown this season, he needs to get some things straight in his head or something like that! GO WILLIE!

I'm glad you're excited about Willie's performance, but you just have to look at things realistically. Yes, Willie has more talent than he's shown, but you can say that about EVERY mediocre player in baseball. It's whether they showcase their talent or not that matters...like Jon Garland for example.

And what's with the exclamation points?!?!?! No need to shout!!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-26-2005, 06:17 PM
You know what you call a 25th man who can't make the most of his very limited opportunities to play?

An ex-major league ballplayer.

Next.

bafiarocks03
07-26-2005, 06:18 PM
hey! i like my exclemation points!! Im not shouting! It's just fun!!!!!!!!!!!
Cuz i love willie!

Lip Man 1
07-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Well I don't 'love' Willie's screw up tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

The defense let Mark down. I'd like to see him get twenty wins but he can't have many more nights like this. He probably only has another 12 starts.

Lip

Vernam
07-26-2005, 11:27 PM
Well I don't 'love' Willie's screw up tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

The defense let Mark down. I'd like to see him get twenty wins but he can't have many more nights like this. He probably only has another 12 starts.And let's not forget Willie's two backward K's (so far). :mad: Yep, all he needed was a little playing time.

VC

The Dude
07-26-2005, 11:35 PM
Cuz i love willie!

Any chance you'll learn to love someone else, because this joke of a player wont be on this team much longer!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! funnnnn:D:

ode to veeck
07-26-2005, 11:36 PM
Willie's BRUTAL playing tonight certainly puts this thread in perspective and it just dropped his trade stock several notches. Hopefully, the Giants scouts went home during the rain delay

havelj
07-26-2005, 11:38 PM
Willie is the worst player on this team and needs to go. We cannot have him on this team in the post-season. It was batting practice last night for the entire team.

So long Willie.

MRKARNO
07-26-2005, 11:38 PM
The defense let Mark down. I'd like to see him get twenty wins but he can't have many more nights like this. He probably only has another 12 starts.

Lip

I can't see him reaching twenty wins at this pace. He had a limited window, but would have to go Johan Santana on us to get to 20 at this point. Garland, on the other hand, might hit 23. But the defense has been a major letdown for Mark over the past few starts. As the defense goes, so does Buehrle and the defense has been relatively brutal behind him lately.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Just a lousy night all around, more rain, bad defense and Jose Lima he of the ERA of 6.50 holding them to a single digit.

Lip

Lip Man 1
07-26-2005, 11:41 PM
That's right it was lousy for the first game of the Red Sox series for him as well. I think it's been five errors in the last two games. Crap! :angry:

But that's what happens when Ozzie puts out his Manager Gandhi imitation lineup.

Make the moves Kenny!

Lip

Jerko
07-26-2005, 11:41 PM
It's all because Mark and Willie slid on that tarp last Wednesday!

BainesHOF
07-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Harris is playing like a clown tonight. Oh wait, he is a clown.

It boggles the mind how much playing time Guillen gives Harris. Guillen has been treating Iguchi like a baby for some reason. On a scale of 1-10, Iguchi is a strong 8 and Harris is a 1.

With his weird lineups in the second half of the season as we play about .500 ball, Guillen is starting to remind me of Manuel.

For now, Harris needs to go. We need to make a minor trade for a utility infielder who can play all three infield positions. Harris can't even play his one.

BeviBall!
07-26-2005, 11:44 PM
This could be the worst timed thread in the history of the internet.

tebman
07-26-2005, 11:47 PM
If Willie knew how to steal bases (a la Pods) and get a bunt down, he'd be valuable to this team. He knows how to do neither, therefore his value as the 25th man is minimal.
Amen! There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about Harris in which a poster said he was valuable to the team because he was a good friend of Iguchi's. :?:

I've found myself barking at the TV watching a game while Harris is at bat because he can't lay down a bunt and doesn't know how to work a count. I was hoping for Tony G too, but it wasn't meant to be. But we've got to be able to do better than Harris.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2005, 11:49 PM
Make that two errors for Willie tonight according to the Game Day box score, plus a third to Uribe.

These guys need to rebound tomorrow afternoon and win this series.

Lip

MadCitySoxFan
07-26-2005, 11:50 PM
After Iguchi's game on Sunday, how has he not started either of the last two games? Is he hurt? Willie has been awful tonight. People who bet on baseball had to lose big tonight with Buerhle vs. Lima and the Royals somehow up 7-1. Christ, Harris, Perez and Uribe due up in the 9th. I just barfed.

ilsox7
07-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Harris is playing like a clown tonight. Oh wait, he is a clown.

It boggles the mind how much playing time Guillen gives Harris. Guillen has been treating Iguchi like a baby for some reason. On a scale of 1-10, Iguchi is a strong 8 and Harris is a 1.

With his weird lineups in the second half of the season as we play about .500 ball, Guillen is starting to remind me of Manuel.

For now, Harris needs to go. We need to make a minor trade for a utility infielder who can play all three infield positions. Harris can't even play his one.

Except that Ozzie had led his team to a 12 game lead so he can afford to rest guys and keep them fresh for October. It will pay off having a team with fresh legs under then this fall.

Jerko
07-26-2005, 11:51 PM
After Iguchi's game on Sunday, how has he not started either of the last two games? Is he hurt? Willie has been awful tonight. People who bet on baseball had to lose big tonight with Buerhle vs. Lima and the Royals somehow up 7-1. Christ, Harris, Perez and Uribe due up in the 9th. I just barfed.

I was wondering the same thing. Iguchi kicked Boston ass Sunday and gets 2 days on the bench as a reward? Something else better be going on here.

Hendu
07-26-2005, 11:52 PM

That pretty much sums it up.

The fact is that Willie's bad games have outnumbered his good ones. And his bad games aren't just bad, they're awful. Willie can't hit, can't bunt, can't steal bases and can't play defense. He's a waste of a roster spot.

Jerko
07-26-2005, 11:55 PM
In retrospect, Hawkjt and Bafiarocks should both be grounded for this thread. I hope for Bafia's sake she stays away from tonight's game and postgame threads.

MadCitySoxFan
07-26-2005, 11:57 PM
Was that Willie's second called strike three tonight? Miserable. I'd prefer Alomar as a backup at this point.

Vernam
07-26-2005, 11:58 PM
Make that two errors for Willie tonight according to the Game Day box score, plus a third to Uribe.And make that three backward K's. :angry: Sorry, I couldn't resist. If they somehow tie it in the ninth, I have complete faith he'll make it four.

VC

Kogs35
07-26-2005, 11:59 PM
willie harris sucks. that is all

Hendu
07-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Make that two errors for Willie tonight according to the Game Day box score, plus a third to Uribe.

These guys need to rebound tomorrow afternoon and win this series.

Lip

Plus the pop-up he should have caught that ended up leading to their first run. Not an error, but a bad defensive play.

ode to veeck
07-27-2005, 12:01 AM
that should be the title for the post game thread, "willie SUCKs, that's all"

Hitmen77
07-27-2005, 12:23 AM

LOL! You're absolutely right. Yeah, let's give kudos to Willie for getting some hits on a night that the team scores 2 touchdowns!!!! All the good things people were saying about Willie at 1:00 pm today look laughable at 11:00pm.

WizardofOZ
07-27-2005, 01:04 AM
Willie needs to go NOW!

ChiSoxGirl
07-27-2005, 01:16 AM
Willie needs to go NOW!

First things first, :welcome: - you'll love it here! :smile:

I couldn't agree with your post more! "He Gone" needs to be resounded when speaking about Willie Harris because he's too much of a negative on a team filled with more positives than anything. If anyone needs to be traded/sent down/released, it's the deficient Harris.

The Dude
07-27-2005, 03:35 AM
After spending the night at the bar arguing with idiot Sox fans who think our stadium is in a bad neighborhood....I'm again welcome to the idiotic thread of Kudos to Willie. Jeeeze, are people in Chicago really this dumb, or am I looking at a small sample size??
Props to all the good Sox fans out there who have a clue.:D:

bludupree
07-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Amen! There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about Harris in which a poster said he was valuable to the team because he was a good friend of Iguchi's. :?:

I've found myself barking at the TV watching a game while Harris is at bat because he can't lay down a bunt and doesn't know how to work a count. I was hoping for Tony G too, but it wasn't meant to be. But we've got to be able to do better than Harris.

He is a friend of Iguchi's because he makes Iguchi look like a Hall Of Famer.

UofCSoxFan
07-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Wille Harris made me turn off the game yesterday....it was disgusting.

I mean that one botched double play was horrible. As a second basemen...you don't chase the guy if he goes back to first when you try to tag him. Instead you run at him...then flip it to first to retire the batter and then retire the runner (who started at first) via a run down.

His plate appearances, often in big situations, were attrocious.

And finally, I don't know what was worse, his throw to home or Uribe's.
My idiot Twin fan roomate was in hysterics after that Harris play. I snapped, "12 games back" as I left the room.

Everytime I watch Willie suck I remember how upset he was that the Sox "disrespected his skills" by bringing in Iguchi. What a joke. If Harris was our everday 2B we'd a) not be in first place...and most likely would be clamouring to bring Alomar out of retirement. Yeesh.

Jerko
07-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Some of my friends wonder why the Sox are so much better this year than last. The first thing I say (outside of the pitching) is "look at 2b and C compared to last year". It's nice having professionals at those positions.

hawkjt
07-27-2005, 01:34 PM
OK, Willie was atrocious last nite. If the giants have true interest I hope they still do after last nite. Seems that willie has lost his nerve on popups to right after the collision with maggs last year. I guess I am a sucker for fast guys off the bench when we are a small ball team in the playoffs. I highly doubt he would be asked to do more than pinch run in the playoffs but if we could have gotten tonyg last week I would have been very happy to let willie go. I just want someone off the bench who can contribute in the playoffs and a stolen base could be huge.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-27-2005, 01:54 PM
I highly doubt he would be asked to do more than pinch run in the playoffs

I highly doubt Harris would be asked to be on the 25-man playoff roster at all. Frank and Ross Gload will get spots in October long before Wee-Willie.

but if we could have gotten tonyg last week I would have been very happy to let willie go. I just want someone off the bench who can contribute in the playoffs and a stolen base could be huge.

Fine. Send Willie to Charlotte because he doesn't know how to steal a base. He is only good as a pinchrunner for moving from first to third. Talk about limited value, it doesn't get any lower than that... sheesh.
:o:

Anyone thinking Willie Harris has any trade value is obviously smoking crack. He is at most a toss-in player that another GM gets in the deal so he can claim he made a great trade to get more ballplayers than he gave the Sox in kind. Quantity over quality... a loser's prescription every time.

:cool:

TomBradley72
07-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Here's what Willie has accomplished after 800+ AB's in the major leagues over 5 seasons:

Batting Avg: .238
HR's: 4
RBI's: 50
OBP: : 303
Slugging: .238

Mediocre at best, poor fundamentals, not the smartest player around, sometimes looks absolutely foolish in the field and at the plate. On top of that...finds reasons to complain about playing time. He's been overmatched at the major league level since he was called up...he's as good as he's ever going to be...which isn't much....

jshanahanjr
07-27-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm sad to say I was @ the game in 2002 for Willie's 1st HR with the team and 25% of his career total. Who would have know he would be brutal? He looked like a younger faster Ray Durham at the time.

Gavin
07-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Two Willie Harris splits this year so far.

RISP .273/.333/.606
RISP 2 OUTS .333/.429/.762

Seriously folks, while it could be better, it could be worse. A lot worse.

ode to veeck
07-27-2005, 04:45 PM
I forgot about the screwed up double play early on last night. Jeez, besides the two actual errors, there was that one, the screwed up pop-up and the mishap play late where the Uribe got stuck with the error on Willie's throw. Its hard to see how we could have done any worse at 2B last night. Yeah, those 3 backwards Ks and 2 LOB really helped too.

Sorry Willie, you blew any trade value you might have deceptively had right in front of the scouts. Willie might be tradeable, but only if Casey Stengel's 1960 Mets were looking

PaleHoseGeorge
07-27-2005, 05:38 PM

RISP .273/.333/.606

This is the most pathetic analysis of Wee-Willie's at-bats I have ever seen. Someone might even accuse you of using statistics to fabricate a lie. You wouldn't be guilty of that, would you?

Willie Harris has a grand total of 20 hits all season long. Now you expect us to give him bonus points based on when *six* of them came?

He's batting .333 against lefties, too. He's torn up on them four whole times already this season: one hit each.

:roflmao:

Gavin
07-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Is this the first time you've heard of "Situational Statistics"? Someone earlier in the thread was harping on Willie for not being able to get runners over to third.

This is the most pathetic analysis of Wee-Willie's at-bats I have ever seen. Someone might even accuse you of using statistics to fabricate a lie. You wouldn't be guilty of that, would you?

Willie Harris has a grand total of 20 hits all season long. Now you expect us to give him bonus points based on when *six* of them came?

He's batting .333 against lefties, too. He's torn up on them four whole times already this season: one hit each.

:roflmao:

1951Campbell
07-27-2005, 05:41 PM
willie harris sucks. that is all

Why more needs to be written here is unclear.

1951Campbell
07-27-2005, 05:43 PM

RISP .273/.333/.606

What would "a lot worse" be? Johnny LeMaster?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Is this the first time you've heard of "Situational Statistics"? Someone earlier in the thread was harping on Willie for not being able to get runners over to third.

Is this the first time you've ever heard of "statistically-relevant sample size"?

Oh, you are too much...

:roflmao: :roflmao:

nordhagen
07-27-2005, 11:50 PM
Don't know about anyone else, but when Iguchi got hit today I screamed and immediately started sweating at the thought of four to six weeks of Willie Harris in the lineup every day at second base.

BeviBall!
07-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Don't know about anyone else, but when Iguchi got hit today I screamed and immediately started sweating at the thought of four to six weeks of Willie Harris in the lineup every day at second base.

Can you imagine Willie signing Tad's cast? How do you draw "It's my turn now" in Japanese?

nordhagen
07-27-2005, 11:55 PM
Can you imagine Willie signing Tad's cast? How do you draw "It's my turn now" in Japanese?

Maybe we can ship Willie off to Japan to find out.