PDA

View Full Version : The Continued Dumbing Down Of ESPN

Lip Man 1
07-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Remember folks, it's not about journalism, sports or news anymore...at least according to Cap Cities/ABC, we have to be ENTERTAINED! we have to get the 'non traditional' sports fan...we have to get the women and the pre teens

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/printedition/cs-0507260203jul26,1,3275718.story?coll=cs-sports-print

Lip

Jerko
07-26-2005, 10:42 AM
The fact that the general population has an average attention span of about 3 seconds will eventually hurt all of us who like good, old fashioned, sports. Sports doesn't exist anymore, it IS 'just' entertainment. I was watching some highlight show the other day and someone actually said something like "who cares who wins, it's entertainment". I think they were talking about D-Annaca Kournipatricova. Unfortunately, the E in ESPN is all that matters anymore.

Hangar18
07-26-2005, 10:46 AM
the continued Cubification of America and Chicago continues

chaerulez
07-26-2005, 10:58 AM
ESPN is terrible.

Sadly, none of the other sports networks are that great either.

jdm2662
07-26-2005, 11:01 AM
People still watch ESPN?
________
Ford fiesta specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Fiesta)

Chisox353014
07-26-2005, 11:01 AM
All you need to know about ESPN is that Stephen A. Smith is getting his own show soon. If that's not scraping the bottom of the barrel, I don't know what is.

Erik The Red
07-26-2005, 11:06 AM
All you need to know about ESPN is that Stephen A. Smith is getting his own show soon. If that's not scraping the bottom of the barrel, I don't know what is.
Truer words were never spoken.

Jerko
07-26-2005, 11:19 AM
I wasn't saying I liked ESPN, I'm just pointing out that "Entertainment" is more important these days than actual sport, and since ESPN basically controls sports viewing in this country, we get stuck with morons like Smith having his own show. The only thing I DO like about ESPN is that sooner or later they actually televise college football games. Their baseball and pro football coverage keeps my mute button busy though.

Dick Allen
07-26-2005, 12:29 PM
I wasn't saying I liked ESPN, I'm just pointing out that "Entertainment" is more important these days than actual sport, and since ESPN basically controls sports viewing in this country, we get stuck with morons like Smith having his own show. The only thing I DO like about ESPN is that sooner or later they actually televise college football games. Their baseball and pro football coverage keeps my mute button busy though.I can't even watch college football games when they have she-man Pam Ward doing play-by-play. I don't want to listen to a woman with a lower voice than mine calling a football game. Is this sexist? Tough #@%&.

Jerko
07-26-2005, 12:32 PM
I can't even watch college football games when they have she-man Pam Ward doing play-by-play. I don't want to listen to a woman with a lower voice than mine calling a football game. Is this sexist? Tough #@%&.

I can get by with Curry, and didn't they just hire Lou Holtz for studio work. Maybe he can get ESPN the death penalty.

owensmouth
07-26-2005, 12:34 PM
I can get by with Curry, and didn't they just hire Lou Holtz for studio work. Maybe he can get ESPN the death penalty.

Yeah, but look at the good side... Two years after Holtz leaves ESPN will be put on probation

Irishsox1
07-26-2005, 01:40 PM
A disturbing trend is how ESPN and ESPN.com keeps picking up every piece of crap writer that comes down the pike. Here is a list of the blowhard, shock value writers in the style of Jimmy Hart from WWF they have going for them:

Alan Grant
Skip Bayless (a total jackass)
Jason Whitlock
Jim Caple (total panzie writing fluff)
Brian Murphy
Scoop Jackson
Dan Shanoff

The only decent writer they have is Bill Simmons. He's pretty funny, but his arrogant Boston hardass attitude comes out often.

Do forget they also put these tools on TV:

Stuart Scott
Linda Cohen (John Elway in drag)
Dan Patrick (his radio show is a nightmare. Dan, just read from the telepropter...please!)
Jay Moronetti (He's the wind bag writer in the bottom left corner of some stupid talking head sports show)
Chris Berman (So tired....)
Mike Torricco (somehow ended up on ABC calling college football...this guy really sucks)
Bob Davie (I wish someone would hire this dope to coach football. Why hasn't he been hired by someone?)
Digger Phelps (Just a flatout jerk off)
Steve Lavin (See Bob Davie)
Jeff Brantley (Where is wardrobe with the mullett cutter?)

If it wasn't for Disney buying ESPN and ABC, ESPN would still be a little cable chanel showing rodeo and fishing shows.

GAsoxfan
07-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Don't forget Woody Paige.

PeteWard
07-27-2005, 12:12 AM
They just named Joe F****** Theismann as color man with A Michaels for Monday Night Football. Talk about dumbing down!!! That guy has cheetos for brains.

StillMissOzzie
07-27-2005, 12:38 AM

Yep, Quite Frankly with Stephen A. Smith. Oh goodie, Smith is branching out from his usual NBA ghetto/thug/gangsta talk into NFL and beyond.

Another ESPN show I will make an effort to avoid.

SMO
:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
07-27-2005, 12:56 AM
Don't forget Woody Paige.I think Woody is funny. :redface: Besides, he rips on Mariotti every chance he gets, often pointing out how much Sox fans hate him.

Viva Medias B's
07-27-2005, 07:04 AM
I like College Gameday just to see Lee Corso be a total idiot.

GAsoxfan
07-27-2005, 08:29 AM
I think Woody is funny. :redface: Besides, he rips on Mariotti every chance he gets, often pointing out how much Sox fans hate him.

Have you seen him and Skip in whatever they call that segement (1st and 10 or something like that)? It's like two gorillas talking to each other.

TDog
07-27-2005, 10:38 AM
the continued Cubification of America and Chicago continues

Wow, I thought I was the only person who used the word "Cubification" on this site.

Like "Sox," the spell check still doesn't recognize it, though.

TDog
07-27-2005, 10:41 AM
I like College Gameday just to see Lee Corso be a total idiot.

When I was at IU, Lee Corso was the football coach. Even those of us who didn't go to his games got to see him be a total up close and personal before he became a national idiot.

Dick Allen
07-27-2005, 11:01 AM
When I was at IU, Lee Corso was the football coach. Even those of us who didn't go to his games got to see him be a total up close and personal before he became a national idiot.I remember his first game coaching at IU, the team came into the stadium on a double-decker bus just before kickoff. It was all downhill from there.

Stroker Ace
07-27-2005, 12:06 PM
I like College Gameday just to see Lee Corso be a total idiot.Don't forget about Dick Vitale with B-Ball.

DUUUUKE!!!!! UNC!!!!! BABY!!!!!! DUUUUKE!!!!!

What an annoying jackass.