PDA

View Full Version : "Throw it Back" Morons

FoulkeFan
07-26-2005, 10:30 AM
I was watching the Cubs game last night between innings of the Sox game (since Jason Schmidt is on my fantasy team) and I saw one of the Giants hit a home run. A guy in the bleachers caught it - he was by himself and wearing headphones. He refused to throw it back. The moron Cub fans started booing him and chanting "Throw it Back". The guy still refused to throw it back. So the camera is focusing right on this guy as someone hands him another baseball. He throws the fake one back and the crowd cheers wildly.

What a bunch of idiots.

mjmcend
07-26-2005, 10:38 AM
I saw that too. I was really hoping the guy would keep the fake baseball as well. That would have been funny.

TDog
07-26-2005, 10:55 AM
When an opponent hits a home run, everyone in the bleachers should shower the fake balls they brought with them. The tradition dictating that only the person who throws catches, retrieve from the basket or otherwise obtains the real home run ball can throw a fake ball onto the field is ruining the game for many casual fans.

Seriously, how can people stereotype Sox fans as a bunch of violent drunks when this sort of behavior is worshiped?

Frankly Missing
07-26-2005, 11:03 AM
Yet another Moron story: I'm minding my own bitness at the last game of the SOX/Devil Ray series in St Pete.

Lucky me, a Cub fan is sitting in the next row, he turns around and says "More fans go to Wrigley than your stadium"

I reply " You are a real rocket scientist arent ya bud? Wow, did you come up with that bit of knowledge on your own?"

Everytime the SOX made an out this stooge clapped and turned around grinning ear to ear.

So I say to him.......".Who plays third base for your team?" Surprise, Suprise, he cant give me an answer.

In an attempt to change the subject, he slurrs " Burnitz is MY MAN!!"

Oh really, I say, What team did YOUR MAN play for last year? After some thought he bursts out "The Mets!"

Sorry guy, you are wrong, he came from Colorado. I see you really know a hell of a alot about your team and YOUR MAN.

He proceeded to bet me $100 bucks that I was wrong. I told him I would take whatever he had in his pocket, dish it out.

He got up to go poll other fans on this subject, certain a female SOX fan in Florida didnt know her stuff.

Guess whose seat was empty the rest of the game?

Chump Scrub fan! Welcher couldnt put his money where his spittle flying mouth was.

owensmouth
07-26-2005, 12:25 PM
If the Cubs leftfielder were hit with the baseball a couple of times, their mgmt might shut down the stupid practice.

Steakpita
07-26-2005, 12:26 PM
You actually went to a Devil Rays game? I always thought those were, y'know, animatronic people and cardboard cutouts in the stands!

Jaffar
07-26-2005, 12:54 PM
You actually went to a Devil Rays game? I always thought those were, y'know, animatronic people and cardboard cutouts in the stands!
All of them surrounding Dick Vitale...YEAH BABY!!!

kittle42
07-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Question: If you were in the bleachers at Wrigley and caught a Cubs home run, would you throw it back?

BigEdWalsh
07-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Question: If you were in the bleachers at Wrigley and caught a Cubs home run, would you throw it back?

Yeah, but the only way I would ever set foot in that dump is at a Sox-Cubs game. In ANY other case I would never throw any ball back but to spite those idiot "fans", hell yeah!

Foulke You
07-26-2005, 02:51 PM
I was watching the Cubs game last night between innings of the Sox game (since Jason Schmidt is on my fantasy team) and I saw one of the Giants hit a home run. A guy in the bleachers caught it - he was by himself and wearing headphones. He refused to throw it back. The moron Cub fans started booing him and chanting "Throw it Back". The guy still refused to throw it back. So the camera is focusing right on this guy as someone hands him another baseball. He throws the fake one back and the crowd cheers wildly.

What a bunch of idiots.
Interestingly enough, I was watching our Sox put a whipping on the Royals last night at a sports bar and they also had the Cubs game on. There were two Cub fans next to me who were just livid that this guy wasn't throwing the home run back. They said "What an Idiot!!" Since the home run throwback thing is my biggest pet peeve, I leaned over and told them that he is the smartest guy in the park for not throwing it back. They looked at me like I was from Mars and said "You gotta throw it back!". My response was that you had a one in a zillion chance to catch a home run at a Major League Game. Why on Earth would you throw it back? Give it to a kid or something if you don't want it. His response was "So what? It's only a baseball. It isn't that important!" I told him I and many other baseball fans would love a chance at a home run ball at an MLB game. I also informed him that many so called "bleacher bums" at Wrigley don't even throw back the real ball. They use a worthless little league ball they bought at Kmart or something. At that exact moment, the woman handed him the fake ball on camera. I felt extremely vindicated and those two guys shut up the rest of the night about throwing back homers.:cool:

These two baseball wizards also referred to Michael Tucker as a "Poor Man's Ken Griffey Jr." :?: I used great restraint in not telling them that Tucker is really a Poor Man's Timo Perez.:D:

Hangar18
07-26-2005, 02:56 PM

Hangar throws it back ........YES!

kittle42
07-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Hangar throws it back ........YES!

See, this was the point of my question. If our argument collectively is that the practice of throwing HR balls back is stupid, which I agree with, how would we react if we actually caught a Cubs HR at a game? I see the point that throwing it back in their own home stadium is funny, but that's kind of hypocritical as well.

Letmehearya
07-26-2005, 04:41 PM
I'd give it to the kid closest to me on the condition that he [and his/her parents]swear allegiance to the White Sox Army. If not, it's going back.

fquaye149
07-26-2005, 04:43 PM
See, this was the point of my question. If our argument collectively is that the practice of throwing HR balls back is stupid, which I agree with, how would we react if we actually caught a Cubs HR at a game? I see the point that throwing it back in their own home stadium is funny, but that's kind of hypocritical as well.

Because it's the only way to subvert the practice.

Otherwise, it's just stat-quo.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-26-2005, 05:14 PM

Hypocritical? Nah, I've got just the solution.

Don't throw back just the Flubbie home run ball. Throw back another two dozen fake home run balls, too. Litter the Urinal's entire outfield with phony home run balls and poke fun at what a sham the whole "tradition" truly is.

That's pinning the tail on the donkey, Sox Fan style.

:cool:

kittle42
07-26-2005, 05:27 PM

Don't throw back just the Flubbie home run ball. Throw back another two dozen fake home run balls, too. Litter the Urinal's entire outfield with phony home run balls and poke fun at what a sham the whole "tradition" truly is.

That is a great suggestion, actually.

Here's another question: since one technically can get thrown out of a stadium for throwing things on the field, do you think an usher at Wrigley would throw someone out for throwing back a Cub HR ball just to be jerks?

fquaye149
07-26-2005, 05:52 PM
That is a great suggestion, actually.

Here's another question: since one technically can get thrown out of a stadium for throwing things on the field, do you think an usher at Wrigley would throw someone out for throwing back a Cub HR ball just to be jerks?

he would probably have to remove them from the bleachers at the very least, since the drunk *******s would try to kick their ass.

JermaineDye05
07-26-2005, 06:28 PM
i believe i started a thread about this last night lol, yeah I hated that when the fans were just yelling at the guy, perhaps the fans fealt rich hill deserved to have the very first homerun ball he threw

Chips
07-26-2005, 08:39 PM
I would never throw a ball back. Give the ball to a little kid. I like George's idea of throwing a dozen or so fake ball back onto the field. Scrub fans are morons.

Clembasbal
07-28-2005, 01:28 PM
So today, Chad Tracey hit a bomb in the 1st inning...well about 5 minutes ago.

And they focus in on the fan, who caught the ball, he handed it to a fat man in Chubbie Blue. That fat man went into his pocket to retrieve another ball, then gave it to the guy who caught the HR. That guy proceeded to chuck it onto the field.

Bonehead Bob Brenly said, "Can't throw the real one away, gotta keep that one!"

Morons.

I always heard about this before, never saw it in all my years. And it has happened twice in the last few days.

Eject that man!

Mr. White Sox
07-28-2005, 01:33 PM
What if a pitcher uses the fake ball, only too late to realize his curve has no bite? Would the fans be suspended 10 games for cheating?

Jerko
07-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Until MLB comes up with a zero tolerance policy about throwing ANYTHING onto the field, it's not worth getting upset about this anymore. There's nothing we can do.

itsnotrequired
07-28-2005, 01:34 PM
I've never seen it in that much detail either. Throwing back a real HR ball is lame in itself but actually throwing a ball brought from home onto the field is a total joke. How is the MLB letting them get away with that? All it takes is one player getting hit and the crap will hit the fan.

dividedsk717
07-28-2005, 01:42 PM

Nope. I'd leave the game and break their silly tradition.

SoxFan78
07-28-2005, 02:26 PM
So today, Chad Tracey hit a bomb in the 1st inning...well about 5 minutes ago.

And they focus in on the fan, who caught the ball, he handed it to a fat man in Chubbie Blue. That fat man went into his pocket to retrieve another ball, then gave it to the guy who caught the HR. That guy proceeded to chuck it onto the field.

Bonehead Bob Brenly said, "Can't throw the real one away, gotta keep that one!"

Morons.

I always heard about this before, never saw it in all my years. And it has happened twice in the last few days.

Eject that man!

I saw that during lunch. Hilarious! I love how the Cub fans pride themselves on tradition and throwing back HR balls, but its all a big fraud!

itsnotrequired
07-28-2005, 02:39 PM
Today's "From the Cubicle" addressed my question about this!

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cubicle/cs-050728cubiclecubs,1,1400707.column?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

Miller from Chicago: "So what is your take on throwing a HR ball back? Most stadiums (if not all) have rules against throwing things on the field. Throwing back an opponents HR has become more or less acceptable but what about throwing back a "fake" ball? How is throwing back a fake ball any different than, say, throwing a toaster onto the field?"

There is absolutely no difference between throwing a fake ball or a toaster on the field. Both are foreign objects that slipped past security. And addressing the first part of your question. The practice of throwing the ball back onto the field after a homer has lost its luster on me.

:tongue:

chuckn98229
07-28-2005, 02:50 PM
I saw that during lunch. Hilarious! I love how the Cub fans pride themselves on tradition and throwing back HR balls, but its all a big fraud!

That whole franchise is built on fraud. From the stinky ballpark to the 7th inning stretch debacles - all fraud. Too bad the Chicago Tribune (aka Tass/Pravda) can't be sued for fraud and misrepresentation.

SOXPHILE
07-28-2005, 04:47 PM
We all agree, throwing a homerun ball back on the field is one thing on a VERY long list of stupid, ignorant things Cubs fans do and say. My question to Cub fans is, what's the point ? Why ? What does throwing the ball back supposedly to do, or what does it symbolize ? Does it mean that "OOOOH! We threw your ball back, therefore the run(s) don't count" ? Is it supposed to symbolize that they only want homeruns from Cubs ? Or, maybe I'm just being silly for expecting Cub fans to be able to logically explain their pointless actions. Whenever I have asked a Cub fan this, I'm usually answered with "Becuz dude ! It's the other team ! Throw the ball back ! Yeah !!! WOOO !", or "Uhhh, I don't really know. Everybody just does it".

Mr. White Sox
07-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Miller from Chicago: "So what is your take on throwing a HR ball back? Most stadiums (if not all) have rules against throwing things on the field. Throwing back an opponents HR has become more or less acceptable but what about throwing back a "fake" ball? How is throwing back a fake ball any different than, say, throwing a toaster onto the field?"

There is absolutely no difference between throwing a fake ball or a toaster on the field. Both are foreign objects that slipped past security. And addressing the first part of your question. The practice of throwing the ball back onto the field after a homer has lost its luster on me.

Press Release:
Greg Gugger, made famous by his witty "From the Cubicle" segments, has been fired by the Chicago Tribune Company today. No immediate reason was given..

Banix12
07-28-2005, 07:28 PM

That would be the greatest event ever, and get a lot of funny media outrage too. Somehow next year a whole group needs to get seats for one whole section of the bleachers and once a homer is hit, everybody starts showering the field with balls.

Maybe it can be done all boston tea party style. They dressed up like indians to dump the tea in the harbor, we can all go dressed like Indians fans. Or as Pirates during a pirates series, though that loses some of the historic asthetic

itsnotrequired
07-28-2005, 07:30 PM
We all agree, throwing a homerun ball back on the field is one thing on a VERY long list of stupid, ignorant things Cubs fans do and say. My question to Cub fans is, what's the point ? Why ? What does throwing the ball back supposedly to do, or what does it symbolize ? Does it mean that "OOOOH! We threw your ball back, therefore the run(s) don't count" ? Is it supposed to symbolize that they only want homeruns from Cubs ? Or, maybe I'm just being silly for expecting Cub fans to be able to logically explain their pointless actions. Whenever I have asked a Cub fan this, I'm usually answered with "Becuz dude ! It's the other team ! Throw the ball back ! Yeah !!! WOOO !", or "Uhhh, I don't really know. Everybody just does it".

If we say for the sake of argument that throwing an opponent's HR ball back "sends a message to the other team" (a silly idea in itself), then what message is sent by throwing back a ball different from the actual HR ball? What, are they trying to send a message but not one strong enough to require the real ball be thrown back? Baffling.

Clembasbal
07-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Until MLB comes up with a zero tolerance policy about throwing ANYTHING onto the field, it's not worth getting upset about this anymore. There's nothing we can do.

I totally agree with you, It was just the first time I ever saw it, so I thought it was funny/stupid.