PDA

View Full Version : A Huff to the SOX???

Whitesox4ever
07-26-2005, 07:05 AM
While duking it out with the Red Sox in the A.J. Burnett sweepstakes, the White Sox are busy on other fronts. They're trying to pry outfielder/DH Aubrey Huff away from the Devil Rays, and they're trying to find a taker for former Yankee Jose Contreras, who they believe is at peak value and a risky bet for the stretch drive and the playoff

this is out of the star ledger

Madvora
07-26-2005, 07:07 AM
While duking it out with the Red Sox in the A.J. Burnett sweepstakes, the White Sox are busy on other fronts. They're trying to pry outfielder/DH Aubrey Huff away from the Devil Rays, and they're trying to find a taker for former Yankee Jose Contreras, who they believe is at peak value and a risky bet for the stretch drive and the playoff

this is out of the star ledger
Do you have a link?

- Edit - I found it... middle of the page...
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1122359486267150.xml&coll=1

cbone
07-26-2005, 07:19 AM
I like Aubrey Huff a lot but the deal doesn't seem to make much sense to me, unless the Burnett deal is done.

Chips
07-26-2005, 07:35 AM
OF: Scott Podsednik, Aaron Rowand, Jermaine Dye, Carl Everett, Timo Perez.
DH: Carl Everett, Paul Konerko, Big Frank (when he comes back).
Where does Huff fit it?

buehrle4cy05
07-26-2005, 07:36 AM
I like Aubrey Huff a lot but the deal doesn't seem to make much sense to me, unless the Burnett deal is done.

Where would Huff play? Wouldn't be the outfield, Pauly's going to play first, and Carl will DH. I agree, I think Huff would be a valuable addition to a team that needs a player in one of those positions, but not the White Sox.

Madvora
07-26-2005, 07:36 AM
OF: Scott Podsednik, Aaron Rowand, Jermaine Dye, Carl Everett, Timo Perez.
DH: Carl Everett, Paul Konerko, Big Frank (when he comes back).
Where does Huff fit it?
Well, Timo can go, but maybe they're a little scared of Frank not being able to come back. That's probably why these Griffy rumors are out there too.

BeviBall!
07-26-2005, 08:00 AM
You take Huff over Timo in a flash. And, he's swell insurance in case Frank is done.

munchman33
07-26-2005, 08:13 AM
I think our interest in Huff shows that Kenny is not at all confident Frank will be back in any capacity this season.

Whitesox4ever
07-26-2005, 08:22 AM
Huff would be a very nice pickup

If the Sox can add another great starter, left handed power bat, LH reliever, we should go far in the playoffs

eriqjaffe
07-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Maybe...just maybe...Huff would be slated to play third?

He has played more games at third than anywhere else, although his career .929 fielding percentage scares me...

cbone
07-26-2005, 08:31 AM
I think our interest in Huff shows that Kenny is not at all confident Frank will be back in any capacity this season.

Unfortunately, this makes perfect sense.

munchman33
07-26-2005, 08:36 AM
Maybe...just maybe...Huff would be slated to play third?

He has played more games at third than anywhere else, although his career .929 fielding percentage scares me...

Huff is terrible at third. That's why they moved him.

Letmehearya
07-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Frank is not coming back in any capacity this season. He's back in Vegas and the prognosis is not good.

Harry Chappas
07-26-2005, 08:39 AM

Even if Frank comes back, I don't think we can realistically expect him to be even close to 100%. As much as I love him, we can't afford to play him if his ankle is causing him to struggle at the plate.

Tekijawa
07-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Frank is not coming back in any capacity this season. He's back in Vegas and the prognosis is not good.

He moved from there months ago... Maybe he's putting his entire paycheck this year on the Sox to win it all?

veeter
07-26-2005, 09:18 AM
I think our interest in Huff shows that Kenny is not at all confident Frank will be back in any capacity this season. BINGO!! I have a feeling it's going to get mighty busy in the next couple of days. Kenny is going for it.

Randar68
07-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Well, Timo can go, but maybe they're a little scared of Frank not being able to come back. That's probably why these Griffy rumors are out there too.

I think those rumors are out there because Griffey has played like an All-Star this year and actually has a pretty attractive contract. That and out CF'er hasn't done nearly as well at the plate as they were hoping for and he's left-handed too.

Griffey would instantly be our best hitter, and IMO, this team needs another stick or another legit bullpen arm far more than it needs another starter.

Madvora
07-26-2005, 09:31 AM
I just had a scenario pop into my head that's probably crazy, but hey, 7/24-7/31 is open season!

- OK, let's say Marte and McCarthy for Burnett.
- Minor leaguers for Aubrey Huff

Now... Vizquel, Eyre and Schmidt have all been mentioned in Sox rumors. Is it too nuts to land all of them? Even if we offer Burnett and/or Uribe and/or Konkero?

This may be way too many moves for a team that has done so well so far, but all of these names have been mentioned in connection to the Sox, though most likely all of these deals won't go down.

Konerko would be expendable with Huff and Gload at first base. If he wasn't necessary for some kind of a deal to the Giants, would he be able to pull in a better hitter to DH, like Griffey or something?

I know, I've gone crazy today, but this is what you get 1 week before the deadline and nothing to do at work.

Mickster
07-26-2005, 09:35 AM

Source?

Whitesox4ever
07-26-2005, 09:37 AM
I say we go all out and get Schmidt and Burnett

DVsoxfan
07-26-2005, 09:47 AM
If we got Huff, he could replace Konerko at 1b next year correct?

BeviBall!
07-26-2005, 09:48 AM

Oh yeah.

Ol' No. 2
07-26-2005, 09:53 AM
I just had a scenario pop into my head that's probably crazy, but hey, 7/24-7/31 is open season!

Now... Vizquel, Eyre and Schmidt have all been mentioned in Sox rumors. Is it too nuts to land all of them? Even if we offer Burnett and/or Uribe and/or Konkero?

This may be way too many moves for a team that has done so well so far, but all of these names have been mentioned in connection to the Sox, though most likely all of these deals won't go down.

Konerko would be expendable with Huff and Gload at first base. If he wasn't necessary for some kind of a deal to the Giants, would he be able to pull in a better hitter to DH, like Griffey or something?

I know, I've gone crazy today, but this is what you get 1 week before the deadline and nothing to do at work.This is the best team in baseball. They need a fine-tuning, not a major overhaul.

Tekijawa
07-26-2005, 09:56 AM
This is the best team in baseball. They need a fine-tuning, not a major overhaul.

I agree, I think the Yankees are proving this year that and All Star team doesn't guarantee wins!

Madvora
07-26-2005, 09:58 AM
This is the best team in baseball. They need a fine-tuning, not a major overhaul.
I agree, but I was just trying to figure out how all of these rumored names would work their way into this team, and the scenarios acually seem to work out a bit.
I don't think the three Giants players thing is too crazy. Perhaps using Burnett is the key to landing Schmidt and Vizquel. Those guys I'd like most of all, plus Eyre would be involved to replace Marte.

TheOldRoman
07-26-2005, 10:03 AM
I agree, but I was just trying to figure out how all of these rumored names would work their way into this team, and the scenarios acually seem to work out a bit.
I don't think the three Giants players thing is too crazy. Perhaps using Burnett is the key to landing Schmidt and Vizquel. Those guys I'd like most of all, plus Eyre would be involved to replace Marte.
Huh? Are you saying we would trade Burnett to the Giants? That makes no sense, they are completely out of it. They wouldn't want a rent-a-player. On the other hand, if we could somehow aquire BOTH Burnett and Schidt, we could then trade Burnett to the Phillies for Billy Wagner. That would cause me to wet myself with excitement.

Madvora
07-26-2005, 10:08 AM
Huh? Are you saying we would trade Burnett to the Giants? That makes no sense, they are completely out of it. They wouldn't want a rent-a-player. On the other hand, if we could somehow aquire BOTH Burnett and Schidt, we could then trade Burnett to the Phillies for Billy Wagner. That would cause me to wet myself with excitement.
I'm suggesting that Burnett might be "the key." AJ Burnett is the most saught after guy out there, so I thought that KW might obtain him to use as his own bargaining chip. He could spend that guy however he wanted. There was news out there that SF would want a starter to replace Schmidt, Burnett could be that, though unlikey, but the point is that he could be used in conjunction with another team to get what we want.
KW is trying to obtain the magic ring so he can use it to get what he wants.

tsamdog
07-26-2005, 10:15 AM

Man, I am hearing you! Two more pieces of the puzzle would be nice: power stick (worried about Frank's return) and lights out closer (worried about Hermy's back). I guess I am not sold YET on the absolute need for another starter.

Jjav829
07-26-2005, 10:34 AM

That was the first thought that popped into my mind when I read this. Unfortunately, I'm starting to wonder if Frank has played his last game as a member of the White Sox.

I wonder how Huff would fit in. If this happened, would he be the everyday DH with Everett going back to his backup role? I would think that would make the most sense. If Frank did manage to make it back, our bench would be loaded for the playoffs, though I hope everyone would adjust to less playing time. Either way...

Free Aubrey Huff!

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2005, 10:41 AM
I don't know why everyone wants to trade the number 4 hitter on the best team in baseball? I mean c'mon. Also, why is everyone automatically assuming that Konerko is gone next year? I know he loves Chicago and possibly could be had for less than his market value...especially if we win a championship.

This week needs to be over now so we can focus on what's happening on the field.

BeviBall!
07-26-2005, 10:42 AM
I don't know why everyone wants to trade the number 4 hitter on the best team in baseball? I mean c'mon. Also, why is everyone automatically assuming that Konerko is gone next year? I know he loves Chicago and possibly could be had for less than his market value...especially if we win a championship.

This week needs to be over now so we can focus on what's happening on the field.

I take Huff over PK 11 times out of 10.

munchman33
07-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Also, why is everyone automatically assuming that Konerko is gone next year?

I would have thought by now that everyone would have realized that Kenny Williams is a smart general manager. Evidently not.

Your contention that there is a chance is offensive to Kenny Williams.

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Huff's 2005 stats:

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB S0 SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
95 357 40 94 15 2 11 54 29 62 8 4 .263 . 322 .409 .731
Konerko:
96 353 60 92 14 0 22 60 50 68 0 0 .261 .358 .487 .845

They are virtually the same over the course of their careers (even with Paulie's abysmal season in 2003)...Huff has a higher average, but OBP is even.

AND KONERKO IS MUCH BETTER in every category this year. So explain to me why you would prefer Huff, especially since Huff would cost prospects? Cuz frankly I just don't see it...especially when comparing production this year.

GAsoxfan
07-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Konerko has been hitting pretty well over the last two months. He hit .293/.381 in June and .312/.376 in July. His BA with RISP is still abysmal (.226), although his OBP is decent (.336).

The only way I would want Huff is if Frank has to shut it down for the year, or if they use him in another deal.

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2005, 11:18 AM
I would have thought by now that everyone would have realized that Kenny Williams is a smart general manager. Evidently not.

Your contention that there is a chance is offensive to Kenny Williams.

Listen guy, I would have thought by now that you would have realized that Kenny will explore all options with Konerko. What if you gave him an incentive based contract with a low base salary? Will he agree to this...probably not, but if he wants to stay in Chicago enough he just might. For you to just automatically dismiss something, and then have the nerve to dismiss my logical point in the manner you did is pretty arrogant.

You do realize that the phrase "conventional wisdom" was meant as a criticism when coined by John Kenneth Galbraith illustrating that often people are willing to accept whatever is easiest to believe without actually thinking for themselves.

Konerko was an all-star for God's sakes...and has been an important part to the best team in baseball, and some of you want to trade him mid-season??? You do realize that the reason we are 65-33 may actually have to do with some of the players on this team right?

Unbelieveable.

EDIT: Remember when it was a forgone conclusion that Thomas was done in a Sox uniform?? That was 3 years ago.

The Dude
07-26-2005, 11:22 AM

Huff is much more valuable than Paulie because of the multiple positions. Huff also plays the OF if im not mistaken. Yes similiar stats, but Huff is a few million cheaper as well.

07-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Huff...Overbay...Griffey...Burnett....Schimdt....G od I can't wait for this weel to be over....KW will get something done but it might be something none of us expect..I was shocked to see Loiza go, even though it made sense...but lets just wait and see...we can't get too excited about an artical in the Star Registry...who the heck are they anyways? Nada on ESPn or even the Daily Southtown...

Jjav829
07-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Huff...Overbay...Griffey...Burnett....Schimdt....G od I can't wait for this weel to be over....KW will get something done but it might be something none of us expect..I was shocked to see Loiza go, even though it made sense...but lets just wait and see...we can't get too excited about an artical in the Star Registry...who the heck are they anyways? Nada on ESPn or even the Daily Southtown...

FWIW, The Score is reporting that the Sox are scouting Lyle Overbay and Aubrey Huff. I doubt either one happens. The Brewers don't seem to want to trade Overbay at this point. I think they're looking to do a deal like the Lee-for-Pods deal in the offseason where they trade Overbay for another major leaguer on the block.

As for Huff, I don't know that anything will happen there. Supposedly Chuck LaMar (the worst GM in baseball, by far) has been spoiled by last years Victor Zambrano for Scott Kazmir deal. He now thinks every major leaguer he trades should net him a big prospect or two like Kazmir. There was a report that the Red Sox went to the Devil Rays and asked about Danys Baez. Who did LaMar supposedly ask for? Hanley Ramirez! This moron asked the Red Sox for their top prospect in return for a mediocre closer. That's ridiculous. Imagine what he'd ask for Huff.....McCarthy and Anderson? Unless LaMar comes back down to Earth, I don't know that any trades will be made with the Devil Rays. LaMar should just resign.

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Huff is much more valuable than Paulie because of the multiple positions. Huff also plays the OF if im not mistaken. Yes similiar stats, but Huff is a few million cheaper as well.

I don't need a utility guy playing 1B for me. That's why I have Ross Gload or a million other guys that can play there.

Huff's an average OF...and we already are stacked as far as outfielders, and he is abysmal at 3rd...so while it is nice that he can play other positions...he would only DH/ play 1B for the Sox...so that argument is irrelevent.

As far as the money, I can give that to you..but you get what you pay for. If you take the saved money and upgrade another position then fine. But if Huff is your starting 1B or DH then you can no longer have an average hitter at 3B, no matter how good his glove his. Also, keep in mind that Frank is probably gone this year too...(we save a lot of money with that)...so you are willing to have this lineup next year?

Pods
Iguchi
Everett (shudder)
Dye
Huff (shudder)
AJ
Rowand
Crede
Uribe

Dye is the only hitter in that lineup with consistent power...and even he is terrible the first 2 months of the year.

If you add Huff to replace Everett I'm all for it...but not Konerko. I mean after all, how's the DuBois to replace Alou experiment working out on the North Side?

Vernam
07-26-2005, 11:38 AM
I take Huff over PK 11 times out of 10.Me, too. Huff fills in at 1B and DH this year, then takes one or the other full time next year. It may be too early to assume Frank is done for 2005, but he will be a question mark this year at best. A lefty hitter with a live bat would be ideal.

BeviBall, I've been meaning to ask: How come you have a photo of Ricky Skaggs in your sig? :redneck

VC

Jjav829
07-26-2005, 11:41 AM
If you add Huff to replace Everett I'm all for it...but not Konerko. I mean after all, how's the DuBois to replace Alou experiment working out on the North Side?

You're way off with this comparison. Huff is a very similar player to Konerko. There would be very little dropoff, if any, if Huff was the Sox 1B next year instead of Konerko. And I don't know why you are shuddering at the thought of Aubrey Huff in the Sox lineup next year.

Madvora
07-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Dye is the only hitter in that lineup with consistent power...and even he is terrible the first 2 months of the year.
Oxymoron

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Oxymoron

how so?

If you mean that is a CONTRADICTION: He is consistently BAD the first two months of every year and consistently GOOD the rest of the year. BUT HE IS CONSISTENT.

gr8mexico
07-26-2005, 11:44 AM
I don't need a utility guy playing 1B for me. That's why I have Ross Gload or a million other guys that can play there.

Huff's an average OF...and we already are stacked as far as outfielders, and he is abysmal at 3rd...so while it is nice that he can play other positions...he would only DH/ play 1B for the Sox...so that argument is irrelevent.

As far as the money, I can give that to you..but you get what you pay for. If you take the saved money and upgrade another position then fine. But if Huff is your starting 1B or DH then you can no longer have an average hitter at 3B, no matter how good his glove his. Also, keep in mind that Frank is probably gone this year too...(we save a lot of money with that)...so you are willing to have this lineup next year?

Pods
Iguchi
Everett (shudder)
Dye
Huff (shudder)
AJ
Rowand
Crede
Uribe

If you add Huff to replace Everett I'm all for it...but not Konerko. I mean after all, how's the DuBois to replace Alou experiment working out on the North Side? I agree if the Sox replace someone it should Carl not Paulie. But KW should be trying to contact every single team out there and see whats available. He is probally looking for trading partners.

FanofBill
07-26-2005, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=Madvora]I just had a scenario pop into my head that's probably crazy, but hey, 7/24-7/31 is open season!

QUOTE]

Vizquel, Eyre and Schmidt, may be it will be a 6, 7 players deal here. Those guys for Marte, Contreras and Harris plus prospects ?
Would that be a good trade ?

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2005, 11:46 AM
You're way off with this comparison. Huff is a very similar player to Konerko. There would be very little dropoff, if any, if Huff was the Sox 1B next year instead of Konerko. And I don't know why you are shuddering at the thought of Aubrey Huff in the Sox lineup next year.

I wouldn't mind him in the lineup...but I'd mind him in the 5th spot. Huff's numbers are more similar to AJ's numbers this year than to Konerko's.

Paulie has TWICE as many homeruns and a much higher slugging percentage and OPS. Not to mention Huff is in TB...where there are many blow outs and he can cut loose to try to pad those power stats.

The Dude
07-26-2005, 11:47 AM

Pods
Iguchi
Everett (shudder)
Dye
Huff (shudder)
AJ
Rowand
Crede
Uribe

Besides a slower year than normal this season, look at Huff's last two yrs.
2003 34 HR 107 RBI .311 AVG
2004 29 HR 104 RBI .297 AVG

Now add him to the middle of the lineup with better players than TB and see the numbers come back to life.

Plus he's a lefty bat and 28 years old. I would welcome him over Crazy carl/ possible injured Frank, and PK if we can count on Gload to produce. I just dont think we're going to keep PK OR Frank next season. Over the long haul Huff would be perfect to take over DH for Carl after next season as well. I dont know why you (shudder) Huff.

EDIT: Also, the K numbers for last year are PK- 107 Huff 74.

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Don't get me wrong...I would like to get Huff this trading season.

However, I would a) prefer Overbay and b) only want Huff as a left-handed bat off the bench, or platoon guy to hit against righties with Everett (who has been abysmal from the left side this year).

If you want him to replace Everett...I'd be for that. Or if you want him to take over first next year, and you spend money saved on Konerko/Thomas for a big time DH...I'm for that too. But Huff for Konerko (and keeping Everett as DH) just is too big a drop off for me...especially if Huff never returns to his once gaudy numbers.

And the reason I'm comparing numbers THIS YEAR is that some people want Huff to replace Konerko THIS YEAR.

The Dude
07-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Don't get me wrong...I would like to get Huff this trading season.

However, I would a) prefer Overbay and b) only want Huff as a left-handed bat off the bench, or platoon guy to hit against righties with Everett (who has been abysmal from the left side this year).

If you want him to replace Everett...I'd be for that. Or if you want him to take over first next year, and you spend money saved on Konerko/Thomas for a big time DH...I'm for that too. But Huff for Konerko (and keeping Everett as DH) just is too big a drop off for me...especially if Huff never returns to his once gaudy numbers.

And the reason I'm comparing numbers THIS YEAR is that some people want Huff to replace Konerko THIS YEAR.

Overbay is also a nice option, but I think it's more likely that TB will be the sellers when compared to Milwaukee, thus demand less (but who knows with the Baez talk.)

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2005, 11:56 AM
I think you are right...the only hope would be with Prince Fielder coming along, Overbay may be expendable. Plus the Lee trade worked out for the Crew so they may look to work with Kenny again.

The more I think of it...the more I like the option I suggested in my previous post...if we got Huff and signed a DH in the offseason with the saved Thomas/Konerko money, this could be pretty good. I don't know who's available though.

hawkjt
07-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Sure, Kenny is going to look at this team at 65-33 and say; '' I think I will break up the chemistry of this lousy outfit by trading the leader in Hrs and rbis for a guy that no one on the team has ever played with.'' LOL. Paul Konerko is not going anywhere this year. Remember 2000- big trade for the catcher really made a difference,right? Fordyce was missed on that team.

We need a tweak to the bullpen and a utilty backup. That's it. Unless schmitt falls into our lap which works cuz he is signed thru next season. Love a rotation of Jose,Schmitty,Burls,Garland,and Freddy in 06. Back to back,anyone?

maurice
07-26-2005, 01:17 PM
I don't think KW will replace Konerko this year, mostly because I don't think he can move Konerko. If they're looking at Huff and Overbay, it's as a lefty bat this year and starting 1B next year after Konerko walks. Either player would be a fine replacement.

Their career numbers are very similar to Konerko's, but Huff and Overbay are both a bit younger, faster (though not SB guys), and bat left-handed. Their numbers are likely to increase if they play here, since the Cell is Coors East, and since the Sox offer a bit more lineup protection and a better leadoff hitter. Overbay's .390 OBP would be particularly welcome.

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2005, 01:19 PM
A quick search on a Brewer's fan site...take it for what it's worth...is reporting that ESPN radio 1250 out of Mil. is reporting that the Sox are interested in Overbay and that the Brewers are asking for Marte and/or McCarthy in return.

I'd like this for one...but probably not both.

Not sure what Overbay's contract status is, but this could solve a DH/1B vacancy for 2006.

GAsoxfan
07-26-2005, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't give up McCarthy for Overbay. Any 1st baseman not named Pujols or Lee isn't worth the Sox top pitching prospect. I'd go for Marte and one of the Sox OF prospects though.

TimChamp
07-26-2005, 02:24 PM
What about Konerko for Overbay straight up? Would we need to toss in prospects to sweeten the deal?

--Champ out to see if he gets crucified by the aPaulogists for posting this

MIgrenade
07-26-2005, 02:24 PM
A quick search on a Brewer's fan site...take it for what it's worth...is reporting that ESPN radio 1250 out of Mil. is reporting that the Sox are interested in Overbay and that the Brewers are asking for Marte and/or McCarthy in return.

I'd like this for one...but probably not both.

Not sure what Overbay's contract status is, but this could solve a DH/1B vacancy for 2006.

This is why KW finds the prices this year insulting. Overbay isn't worth those guys. The Brewers will be lucky to get top prospects for him in the offseason and KW knows it. Those guys will probably be gone in a Burnett deal anyway, which, I think, is done except KW wants him to sign an extension.
Overbay's contract is $460,000 for either this season or next. Either way he is cheap.

Flight #24
07-26-2005, 02:54 PM
This is why KW finds the prices this year insulting. Overbay isn't worth those guys. The Brewers will be lucky to get top prospects for him in the offseason and KW knows it. Those guys will probably be gone in a Burnett deal anyway, which, I think, is done except KW wants him to sign an extension.
Overbay's contract is $460,000 for either this season or next. Either way he is cheap.

Lyle Overbay is solidly in the top 3d of all MLB 1Bs in BA, OBP, SLG. He's also a lefty, and comes near the minimum salary, although IIRC he'll be arb eligible after this year.

This will demand a pretty good return. Think better-then Konerko production (higher BA, OBP, similar SLG), from a lefty at the minimum salary.

EDIT: to correct my boneheaded attempt to play Overbay at 3d.:redface:

GAsoxfan
07-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Lyle Overbay is solidly in the top 3d of all MLB 3Bs in BA, OBP, SLG. He's also a lefty, and comes near the minimum salary, although IIRC he'll be arb eligible after this year.

This will demand a pretty good return. Think better-then Konerko production (higher BA, OBP, similar SLG), from a lefty at the minimum salary.

or 1st baseman.

Tragg
07-26-2005, 03:22 PM
AJ Burnett isn't exactly an all-star himself. I think it makes more sense to get Overbay at a cheap contract, for a top prospect than to rent Burnett.

I do agree that any of these players will/should come cheaper in the offseason - especially somebody like Overbay.

Tragg
07-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Their career numbers are very similar to Konerko's, but Huff and Overbay are both a bit younger, faster (though not SB guys), and bat left-handed.

All important. They don't need to steal - they just need to move from 1st to third on a lot of singles, and score from second on singles. That's the speed we need.

MIgrenade
07-26-2005, 04:14 PM
AJ Burnett isn't exactly an all-star himself. I think it makes more sense to get Overbay at a cheap contract, for a top prospect than to rent Burnett.

I do agree that any of these players will/should come cheaper in the offseason - especially somebody like Overbay.

I guess the real difference with Overbay is that everyone knows he will be gone or he will be on the bench because of Prince Fielder. I know he is good, but I don't think he is worth a top pitching prospect and top lefty bullpen guy.

Jjav829
07-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Jayson Stark gives us the latest on the Sox trade possibilities.

The transactions column may not be heating up much as the trade deadline approaches. But at least the GM poker games are getting better. In one corner, you find the Marlins -- trying to up the ante on Burnett by spreading word everywhere that they may just keep him if they can't get what they want. And now, in another corner, you have their No. 1 dance partner, the White Sox -- turning their attention away from Burnett and toward other areas where they might be able to deal for an impact player or two. The White Sox may not have gotten too far in their furious charges in the direction of Jason Schmidt (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5340) or Barry Zito (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6394). But there were indications Tuesday that they have been working on a potential whopper of a deal with Tampa Bay that could bring them both Danys Baez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6395) and Aubrey Huff (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6545). And to get them, the White Sox would have to give up at least some of the pitchers they've been speaking to Florida about -- particularly relievers Damaso Marte (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6261), Cliff Politte (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5960) and/or Neal Cotts (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7209) -- plus other prospects. The White Sox are all about positioning themselves to win the World Series now. And if they can't get a dominating starter, they wouldn't mind adding a power closer. "I know Dustan Hermanson has done a great job," says an official of one team that has been talking with the White Sox. "But he's not striking anybody out. He's getting guys out with a lot of back-door sliders. And if you're a playoff team, he's not a guy you want closing games for you in October." Huff, who has hit better than .300 and slugged over .550 the last four weeks, could be a fit for the White Sox at third base, first base, DH or right field. But even if the White Sox can make this deal, there are indications they are still trying to figure out how they can do it and also trade for Burnett. One executive who has been in contact with the White Sox says they've made it clear that they would only deal their best starting-pitching prospect, Brandon McCarthy (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7484), for Burnett or some other top-of-the-rotation starter. McCarthy would still loom as the centerpiece of any trade with Florida. But is he enough? An official of one team that spoke with the Marlins on Tuesday reported that they continue to tell other clubs they've decided not to deal Burnett "unless it's the deal THEY want to make, for the pieces THEY want back." And it seems clear now that the deal they want to make with the White Sox would include both Marte and McCarthy. But the White Sox are reluctant to trade Marte. And even if they did, that package would be hard for Florida to accept unless it can make a separate deal for a veteran starter, such as Pittsburgh's Mark Redman (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6285). So as all this percolates, the Red Sox are still expressing interest in Burnett. And one baseball man now rates the Tigers as a dark horse -- if only because the Tigers think they can sign Burnett, either this month or this winter. Among the players it's believed Florida has targeted with Detroit are pitcher Mike Maroth (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6941) and good-looking rookie outfielder Curtis Granderson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7455) (hitting .357 since his July 22 call-up). OK, got all that? We'd still bet on Burnett landing in Chicago this week. But right now, just about anything is possible.

Huff and Baez, plus still possibly Burnett? Wow. Let's hope this isn't all just talk. I wonder if Baez would be kept or possibly used to replace Marte in a Burnett trade.

Ol' No. 2
07-26-2005, 05:46 PM

Baez and Huff, plus still possibly Burnett? Wow. Let's hope this isn't all just talk. I wonder if Baez would be kept or possibly used to replace Marte in a Burnett trade.What kind of sense does it make to trade Politte or Cotts for Baez? Does Stark ever do a reality check on what he writes?

Jjav829
07-26-2005, 05:51 PM
What kind of sense does it make to trade Politte or Cotts for Baez? Does Stark ever do a reality check on what he writes?

I'm sure KW probably wouldn't trade Politte. Stark is probably speaking more of what the Devil Rays would ask for in return. Marte and Cotts, on the other hand, are probably available in the right trade.

MIgrenade
07-26-2005, 05:51 PM
What kind of sense does it make to trade Politte or Cotts for Baez? Does Stark ever do a reality check on what he writes?

That's what I was thinking. Why give up two of the best relievers, including a really good lefty, for a closer with no playoff experience? I can't see trading Cotts right now when Marte is already on the market and isn't pitching well. I can't imagine KW wants a bullpen of all righties. It's fun to be a part of all the rumors but this doesn't make sense.

TaylorStSox
07-26-2005, 05:53 PM

Huff and Baez, plus still possibly Burnett? Wow. Let's hope this isn't all just talk. I wonder if Baez would be kept or possibly used to replace Marte in a Burnett trade.

It appears that this guy's actually been watching the team. Hermanson really only throws a back up slider right now. I'd like another power arm to close and use Hermanson as more of a "utility reliever." I'm sure he wouldn't mind. That's why he was brought here.

doublem23
07-26-2005, 06:05 PM
That's what I was thinking. Why give up two of the best relievers, including a really good lefty, for a closer with no playoff experience? I can't see trading Cotts right now when Marte is already on the market and isn't pitching well. I can't imagine KW wants a bullpen of all righties. It's fun to be a part of all the rumors but this doesn't make sense.

Of all the younger guys the Sox have, I'd really be bummed about trading away Neal Cotts. He's definitely on the Mark Buehrle/Jon Garland path here, except he's been 100x better than those two at the same stage of the game (though, Buehrle never did have much of a shot in the bullpen).

Go for it, KW!

Letmehearya
07-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Frank is not coming back this year. Huff or Overbay [or someone else] will be brought in to augment the offense. Huff seems to be a player who will revert back to the 100+ rbis with a great team.

doublem23
07-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Frank is not coming back this year. Huff or Overbay [or someone else] will be brought in to augment the offense. Huff seems to be a player who will revert back to the 100+ rbis with a great team.

He already plays for a better offense than ours.

Letmehearya
07-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Maybe I'm just a sap who thinks that even when you're paid $8 million you'd prefer to play in front of 37,000 fans in the world's greatest city, fighting for the first pennant in45+ years, first WS Championship in 88+ years and for a team with the best base stealer in baseball leading off rather than a team that plays indoors in a dump of a stadium, infront of 15,000 on good nights, loses 90+ games annually and is an expansion team without hope for a better future any time soon. But, maybe I'm wrong.

sircaffey1
07-26-2005, 06:44 PM
Baez, Huff, and Burnett...Wow. That would be quite the manuver...

ShoelessJoeS
07-26-2005, 06:52 PM
i hate the idea of giving away cotts or politte, two of our most reliable arms this year, unless wagner somehow made his way over here through another trade

sircaffey1
07-26-2005, 07:04 PM
i hate the idea of giving away cotts or politte, two of our most reliable arms this year, unless wagner somehow made his way over here through another trade

I'd be downright shocked if KW even thought about the idea...Just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Chisox003
07-26-2005, 07:07 PM

Not gonna happen

Cotts and Politte are cornerstones of this bullpen along with Hermanson, and I think Viz is here to stay too

Anybody else, Marte, Jenks, (Shingo...), is fair game, although I'd hate to see Jenks go, I wouldnt mind seeing Marte gone

Ok Ok, I know its just a dream, but imagine if JR raises the payroll a ton for the deadline (Pink or Teal, you choose)

Starting lineup:
Podsednik LF, Vizquel SS, Huff DH, Konerko 1B, Dye RF, Rowand CF, Pierzynski C, Crede 3B, Iguchi 2B

Bench:
Ozuna, Uribe (if not traded), Everett, Timo, Widger

Starting Rotation:
Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Burnett, El Duque

Bullpen:
Baez, Politte, Cotts, Hermanson, Vizcaino, Jenks

Hell, if we got Huff, Id be fine with leaving Uribe at SS and forgetting about Vizquel, which Im pretty sure is a done deal anyway

Pierzynski and Huff on the same team....If only we added Eckstein this offseason and there's 3 of my favorites since 2001....
Put me on the payroll Kenny

mdep524
07-26-2005, 07:11 PM
i hate the idea of giving away cotts or politte, two of our most reliable arms this year, unless wagner somehow made his way over here through another trade Politte won't be traded, but what would you think about trading away Marte and McCarthy (and/or Contreras) for Burnett and then flipping Burnett to the Phils for Billy Wagner? It's probably the only way Wagner gets dealt this week, since the Phils are in contention but would really like to upgrade their starting pitching and could potentially use Urbina as their closer.

sircaffey1
07-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Not gonna happen

Cotts and Politte are cornerstones of this bullpen along with Hermanson, and I think Viz is here to stay too

Anybody else, Marte, Jenks, (Shingo...), is fair game, although I'd hate to see Jenks go, I wouldnt mind seeing Marte gone

Ok Ok, I know its just a dream, but imagine if JR raises the payroll a ton for the deadline (Pink or Teal, you choose)

Starting lineup:
Podsednik LF, Vizquel SS, Huff DH, Konerko 1B, Dye RF, Rowand CF, Pierzynski C, Crede 3B, Iguchi 2B

Bench:
Ozuna, Uribe (if not traded), Everett, Timo, Widger

Starting Rotation:
Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Burnett, El Duque

Bullpen:
Baez, Politte, Cotts, Hermanson, Vizcaino, Jenks

Hell, if we got Huff, Id be fine with leaving Uribe at SS and forgetting about Vizquel, which Im pretty sure is a done deal anyway

Pierzynski and Huff on the same team....If only we added Eckstein this offseason and there's 3 of my favorites since 2001....
Put me on the payroll Kenny

I'm assuming you mean Contreras would be traded. That wouldn't be all that much in a payroll hike. Certainly not "a ton." We dream though...

Vernam
07-26-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm sure KW probably wouldn't trade Politte. Stark is probably speaking more of what the Devil Rays would ask for in return. Marte and Cotts, on the other hand, are probably available in the right trade.Do you mean Marte or Cotts? Surely he wouldn't deal both of them.

Have to love Hermanson's brass, but I agree with the scout's assessment. We need a flamethrower to close in the post-season. I'd expect to see Jenks pitch as much as possible before any deadline-driven trade, so they can determine if he can be the man. So far, it's a maybe.

VC

Chisox003
07-26-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm assuming you mean Contreras would be traded. That wouldn't be all that much in a payroll hike. Certainly not "a ton." We dream though...

Ya, he'd have to go in the Burnett deal I'd imagine

Really, that was about 5 minutes of fantasy while I typed that and isnt at all possible, but for that we can also dream....

I dont like the trade deadline, but I especially hate talking about/dreaming of improving the best team (65-33!!!) in baseball....

But guys like Huff and Burnett would just about punch our ticket to the fall classic...

ShoelessJoeS
07-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Politte won't be traded, but what would you think about trading away Marte and McCarthy (and/or Contreras) for Burnett and then flipping Burnett to the Phils for Billy Wagner?
great idea, but if we traded AJB to the Phillies for Wagner, then JC shouldn't be part of the trade to bring AJB here bc BMac would wind up our 5th starter and he is certainly not MLB ready

Chisox003
07-26-2005, 07:38 PM
great idea, but if we traded AJB to the Phillies for Wagner, then JC shouldn't be part of the trade to bring AJB here bc BMac would wind up our 5th starter and he is certainly not MLB ready

I dont like that idea

Youre giving up 2 arms, 1 of which is a starter...It would have to be Contreras and Marte, because the Marlins want 2 major league ready pitchers, and like you said, Mac isnt nearly ready

Then, trading Burnett to the Phils for wagner, we are really losing too many innings and too many arms for my liking

And I sure as hell dont want to see Mccarthy up at the big league level in the stretch run....

JB98
07-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Huff's 2005 stats:

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB S0 SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
95 357 40 94 15 2 11 54 29 62 8 4 .263 . 322 .409 .731
Konerko:
96 353 60 92 14 0 22 60 50 68 0 0 .261 .358 .487 .845

They are virtually the same over the course of their careers (even with Paulie's abysmal season in 2003)...Huff has a higher average, but OBP is even.

AND KONERKO IS MUCH BETTER in every category this year. So explain to me why you would prefer Huff, especially since Huff would cost prospects? Cuz frankly I just don't see it...especially when comparing production this year.

Simple. Sox fans always think the grass is greener on the other side. Konerko isn't having a great year. Neither is Huff. The difference is Sox fans aren't watching Huff struggle on an everyday basis like we are with Konerko, so we assume Huff is better. Of course, we're wrong.

Huff would be a good acquisition if we find out Frank is out for the year. Also, that would give KW some leverage in any contract negotiation with Konerko after the season. If PK wants too much, we cut him loose and go with Huff at 1B until Rogowski is ready. But for this year, it doesn't make sense to replace Konerko or Crede with Huff. I say we only go after him if it becomes necessary to replace Frank.

The Dude
07-26-2005, 08:17 PM
FWIW, Huff just hit a grand slam a few innings ago off Chad Bradford to tie the game.

Fantosme
07-26-2005, 10:03 PM
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet.

per ESPN Insider

The transactions column may not be heating up much as the trade deadline approaches. But at least the GM poker games are getting better. In one corner, you find the Marlins -- trying to up the ante on Burnett by spreading word everywhere that they may just keep him if they can't get what they want. And now, in another corner, you have their No. 1 dance partner, the White Sox -- turning their attention away from Burnett and toward other areas where they might be able to deal for an impact player or two. The White Sox may not have gotten too far in their furious charges in the direction of Jason Schmidt (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5340) or Barry Zito (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6394). But there were indications Tuesday that they have been working on a potential whopper of a deal with Tampa Bay that could bring them both Danys Baez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6395) and Aubrey Huff (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6545). And to get them, the White Sox would have to give up at least some of the pitchers they've been speaking to Florida about -- particularly relievers Damaso Marte (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6261), Cliff Politte (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5960) and/or Neal Cotts (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7209) -- plus other prospects. The White Sox are all about positioning themselves to win the World Series now. And if they can't get a dominating starter, they wouldn't mind adding a power closer. "I know Dustan Hermanson has done a great job," says an official of one team that has been talking with the White Sox. "But he's not striking anybody out. He's getting guys out with a lot of back-door sliders. And if you're a playoff team, he's not a guy you want closing games for you in October." Huff, who has hit better than .300 and slugged over .550 the last four weeks, could be a fit for the White Sox at third base, first base, DH or right field. But even if the White Sox can make this deal, there are indications they are still trying to figure out how they can do it and also trade for Burnett. One executive who has been in contact with the White Sox says they've made it clear that they would only deal their best starting-pitching prospect, Brandon McCarthy (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7484), for Burnett or some other top-of-the-rotation starter. McCarthy would still loom as the centerpiece of any trade with Florida. But is he enough? An official of one team that spoke with the Marlins on Tuesday reported that they continue to tell other clubs they've decided not to deal Burnett "unless it's the deal THEY want to make, for the pieces THEY want back." And it seems clear now that the deal they want to make with the White Sox would include both Marte and McCarthy. But the White Sox are reluctant to trade Marte. And even if they did, that package would be hard for Florida to accept unless it can make a separate deal for a veteran starter, such as Pittsburgh's Mark Redman (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6285). So as all this percolates, the Red Sox are still expressing interest in Burnett. And one baseball man now rates the Tigers as a dark horse -- if only because the Tigers think they can sign Burnett, either this month or this winter. Among the players it's believed Florida has targeted with Detroit are pitcher Mike Maroth (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6941) and good-looking rookie outfielder Curtis Granderson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7455) (hitting .357 since his July 22 call-up). OK, got all that? We'd still bet on Burnett landing in Chicago this week. But right now, just about anything is possible.

soltrain21
07-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Burnett? Never heard of him.

The Sox might TRADE for him? Weird....

Tragg
07-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Baez is a decent reliever - not great though. I can't imagine we'd give up either Politte or Cotts for this guy - that would be loony, as their both better pitchers. Cotts is a guy Ozzie has personally groomed and we've all seen his night to night progression - a guy coming into his own is exactly who you DON'T trade. Baez' WHIP has never really been dominant. And he got killed this evening. He's a good player whose worth is inflated solely because he closes and gets saves - any decent pitcher put into a closers role will get saves.

As for Huff, I don't know exactly where Huff figures on playing this year. His defense at 3b isn't very good and we have a 1B this year. Seems like a decent replacement for Konerko for NEXT year. I'd sure as hell prefer Huff to Lowell, however (although Lowell should come for nothing but picking up some contract price; Huff will cost some players). And we could use another hitter.

These guys are good players, but not difference makers. Baez seems to me to be a bad value player because of the save-inflation, but we'll see.

doublem23
07-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Maybe I'm just a sap who thinks that even when you're paid $8 million you'd prefer to play in front of 37,000 fans in the world's greatest city, fighting for the first pennant in45+ years, first WS Championship in 88+ years and for a team with the best base stealer in baseball leading off rather than a team that plays indoors in a dump of a stadium, infront of 15,000 on good nights, loses 90+ games annually and is an expansion team without hope for a better future any time soon. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps, and I'm not denying that, but those are intangibles and they're hard for me to measure, especially since I rarely get to see Aubrey Huff play and see what kind of mettle he has. All I'm saying is, I wouldn't expect him to suddenly bloom into some excellent player, especially since he would be moving to a worse offense in Chicago.

Banix12
07-26-2005, 10:23 PM
Fantosme, just for future reference, you are not allowed to post complete articles. Feel free to pinpoint the main bullet points though.

As for the article, nothing really new here. Huff would be a nice addition to play OF from time to time and split time with Crede at 3rd since his back has been a bit balky. Though for any of these rumors. I'll beleive it when I see it.

doublem23
07-26-2005, 10:25 PM
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet.

Yes, it has been posted.

Tragg
07-26-2005, 10:46 PM
I guess the real difference with Overbay is that everyone knows he will be gone or he will be on the bench because of Prince Fielder. I know he is good, but I don't think he is worth a top pitching prospect and top lefty bullpen guy.
I agree, he's not worth that.
I guess in comparison to a rent of burnett, it makes more sense to me. I just hate rents except for impact players.

Tragg
07-26-2005, 10:47 PM

Absolutely no sense at all. And you can add Marte (although the Sox don't seem elated with his work these days). Marte, Cotts and Politte are each better than Baez - the Rays are a terrible team and one reason is that Baez is the best reliever that they have. He's not a bad pitcher, but he's hardly atop our bullpen.

Tragg
07-26-2005, 10:52 PM
FWIW, Huff just hit a grand slam a few innings ago off Chad Bradford to tie the game.

And the Bosox absolutely horsewhipped Baez. Win one, lose one.

Jjav829
07-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Do you mean Marte or Cotts? Surely he wouldn't deal both of them.

Have to love Hermanson's brass, but I agree with the scout's assessment. We need a flamethrower to close in the post-season. I'd expect to see Jenks pitch as much as possible before any deadline-driven trade, so they can determine if he can be the man. So far, it's a maybe.

VC

Well, yes, that's what I meant. I guess I should have said "or," but I simply meant that both Marte and Cotts are available whereas Politte probably isn't available.

Jjav829
07-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Fantosme, just for future reference, you are not allowed to post complete articles. Feel free to pinpoint the main bullet points though.

FWIW, since I posted the same thing, that isn't an entire article. Jayson Stark writes an article called the "Stark Market" that he usually updates every day or every other day. It is simply the top 10 most talked about players currently available in trades. This piece was from the first person he talked about, A.J. Burnett. Stark just happened to get a little more wordy on this than usual, but it's hardly a whole article.

Tragg
07-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Do you mean Marte or Cotts? Surely he wouldn't deal both of them.

VC

Keith Foulke wasn't a flame thrower - I wonder who that GM GMs.

Letmehearya
07-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Bobby Jenks has a future as a closer - perhaps for the Sox. Please ....... don't think for a second he'd handle the 9th inning duties at Fenway Park or with a Rally Monkey going nuts on a scoreboard for 60,000 in Anaheim. He is not ready for that at all. Let's ease him in.

doublem23
07-27-2005, 12:44 AM
Bobby Jenks has a future as a closer - perhaps for the Sox. Please ....... don't think for a second he'd handle the 9th inning duties at Fenway Park or with a Rally Monkey going nuts on a scoreboard for 60,000 in Anaheim. He is not ready for that at all. Let's ease him in.

Agreed, however, I do like the idea of that 100-MPH fastball and curve in Ozzie's arsenal for the 6th, 7th, or 8th inning this October.

Tragg
07-27-2005, 12:59 AM

Let's hope this flamethrower develops into Rich Gossage and not Rich Wortham.

From what everybody says, so far, so good.

JB98
07-27-2005, 01:09 AM
Perhaps, and I'm not denying that, but those are intangibles and they're hard for me to measure, especially since I rarely get to see Aubrey Huff play and see what kind of mettle he has. All I'm saying is, I wouldn't expect him to suddenly bloom into some excellent player, especially since he would be moving to a worse offense in Chicago.

Should that last part be in teal? Do you honestly believe we have a weaker offense than Tampa Bay? Wow. :?:

For the record, we're fifth in the American League in runs scored. Tampa Bay is 10th. And I think the pitching in the Central Division is much stronger than it is in the East.

gr8mexico
07-27-2005, 02:52 AM
The White Sox, unsure whether they can pry Burnett from Florida with a package featuring young righthander Brandon McCarthy, have engaged in trade discussions with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, with closer Danys Baez and infielder-outfielder Aubrey Huff their focus.

Yet, given Tampa Bay GM Chuck Lamar's extremely conservative attitude about making deals, the Chisox don't have great confidence that they can execute a transaction there, either.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-spken0727,0,607150.column?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Mr. White Sox
07-27-2005, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the link.

I would love to see the Sox get either Baez or Huff...heck, getting both would be ideal and would fill two pretty big holes on this roster.

maurice
07-27-2005, 11:32 AM
[Huff] already plays for a better offense than ours.

:?:
Sox runs / games: 480 / 99
Rays runs / games: 457 / 101

UofCSoxFan
07-27-2005, 11:44 AM
just think if this actually happens:tomatoaward

MRKARNO
07-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Will Carroll really heats up this rumor:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4258
They'll also make a decision on Aubrey Huff (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/dt/huffau01.shtml), who seems destined to be a White Sock.

SABRSox
07-27-2005, 07:52 PM

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4258

Here's my favorite part:

Don't be surprised if Jorge Cantu (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/dt/cantujo01.shtml) ends up involved in a deal as well.

Cantu would be a fantastic addition to our middle infield. Isn't it about time we took advantage of the Devil Rays?

RowandKicksAss07
07-27-2005, 07:54 PM
I am so tired of hearing all these rumors and just want something to happen! How long can a deal be discussed? I mean we have been talking about an AJ Burnett deal for about a week now...the Huff rumors came out like two days ago and nothing has happened. How can these trade rumors keep on persisting? For Burnett its not like the Marlins keep changing their stance and what different players. It's either McCarthy/Marte and/or Contreras for Burnett...what's the holdup? Their trade value is not going to increase significantly in a day!

CYGarland20

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4258 It also says the Marlins have declined our offer for Burnett :(:

Chisox003
Here's my favorite part:

Cantu would be a fantastic addition to our middle infield. Isn't it about time we took advantage of the Devil Rays?

Wow this trade is getting out of hand....

Cantu's glove worries me somewhat, though....

Well, we know something is going to happen....When and what, however, is anyone's guess at this point

Do it Kenny, just do it

Jjav829
07-27-2005, 08:30 PM
The latest on a pair of Devil Rays from Jayson Stark:

On Aubrey Huff:
Speaking of Devil Rays who look as if they'll get dealt, Huff is looking more tradeable all the time. His .314, seven-homer, 20-RBI, .616-slugging-percentage July has lifted him right to the top of the Stark Market rankings -- with the White Sox, Twins, Mets and Nationals all interested. The price tag, as with all Devil Rays on the trading shelves, is a little hefty. But officials of two teams that have spoken with Tampa Bay predicted Wednesday, with total assurance, that Huff will absolutely, positively, 100-percent-definitely get traded. "Tamps Bay IS going to move Huff, and IS going to move Baez," said one GM. "They've got to move them because the new owner (Stuart Sternberg) wants to come in there next year and start fresh."

On Danys Baez:
The White Sox are pushing hard, with bullpen arms and prospects.
As skeptical as some GMs often sound about Rays GM Chuck LaMar's willingness to close a deal, LaMar clearly appears to be moving toward finishing off a big one involving his closer.

Sounds interesting. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

DVsoxfan
07-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Me likey Huff...but why would they trade cantu??

Tragg
07-27-2005, 09:03 PM
I'll take Huff.

Baez isn't a very good pitcher - perhaps the best of a woeful pitching staff, but not a good pitcher. That's one area in which I agree with BP - the save is one deceptive statistic.
Hell, Bobby Howry racked up a ton of saves for us, with Foulke as his set-up man.

Palehose13
07-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Lyle Overbay is solidly in the top 3d of all MLB 1Bs in BA, OBP, SLG. He's also a lefty, and comes near the minimum salary, although IIRC he'll be arb eligible after this year.

EDIT: to correct my boneheaded attempt to play Overbay at 3d.:redface:

My lord. I f the Sox somehow acquired Overbay there would be A LOT of Milwaukee converts. Podsednik has brought some over, but Overbay is now a HUGE fan favorite here.

SABRSox
07-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Me likey Huff...but why would they trade cantu??

I think next season they're gonna run BJ Upton out there and live with his horrid defense. It will be a big mistake, of course, but what's new in Tampa Bay?

samram
07-27-2005, 10:35 PM
The latest on a pair of Devil Rays from Jayson Stark:

On Aubrey Huff:

On Danys Baez:

Sounds interesting. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I like the idea of dealing with LaMar. I don't think he knows what he's doing.

Jjav829
07-27-2005, 10:49 PM
I like the idea of dealing with LaMar. I don't think he knows what he's doing.

He's a moron, but he worries me. From all reports, the Zambrano for Kazmir trade has changed him. I mean if LaMar actually asked for Hanley Ramirez for Baez alone, imagine what he'd ask from us for Huff and Baez? I'm hoping Stark's source on both Huff and Baez is accurate. If true that LaMar has to trade them, then maybe he'll be forced into getting less for them.

Hell, the new owner is just gonna fire LaMar's ass anyways. He should give us Huff and Baez for free. Maybe KW can hook LaMar up with a job in exchange. How does Timo and Willie for Huff and Baez sound? :tongue:

samram
07-27-2005, 10:52 PM
He's a moron, but he worries me. From all reports, the Zambrano for Kazmir trade has changed him. I mean if LaMar actually asked for Hanley Ramirez for Baez alone, imagine what he'd ask from us for Huff and Baez? I'm hoping Stark's source on both Huff and Baez is accurate. If true that LaMar has to trade them, then maybe he'll be forced into getting less for them.

Hell, the new owner is just gonna fire LaMar's ass anyways. He should give us Huff and Baez for free. Maybe KW can hook LaMar up with a job in exchange. How does Timo and Willie for Huff and Baez sound? :tongue:

That sounds good to me. I'm sick of these other GMs trying to build winning teams. Can't they understand the important thing is the Sox need to be good? What's wrong with them? He should give up Huff, Baez, Cantu, and definitely Crawford to the Sox for nothing. At least he could say he didn't trade them within the division.

TheOldRoman
07-27-2005, 10:56 PM
That sounds good to me. I'm sick of these other GMs trying to build winning teams. Can't they understand the important thing is the Sox need to be good? What's wrong with them? He should give up Huff, Baez, Cantu, and definitely Crawford to the Sox for nothing. At least he could say he didn't trade them within the division.
Oh god. Hangar is gonna read that and come in here with another rant about Jim Hendry and the Pirates.

samram
07-27-2005, 11:03 PM
Oh god. Hangar is gonna read that and come in here with another rant about Jim Hendry and the Pirates.

Man, Hendry has nothing on that deal. He had to give up an entire human being to get perhaps the best offensive third baseman in the NL and a good leadoff man. KW has to give up nothing in this deal. Get it done, KW. Chuck's just waiting for your call.

infohawk
07-28-2005, 10:32 AM
The White Sox, unsure whether they can pry Burnett from Florida with a package featuring young righthander Brandon McCarthy, have engaged in trade discussions with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, with closer Danys Baez and infielder-outfielder Aubrey Huff their focus.

I like Huff's offensive production and lefty bat. I'm a little confused as to exactly how the Sox would handle him this year. I can understand wanting him to possibly take over at first next year. He will be cheaper than Paulie and adds another lefty to the line-up. My concern is that the Sox might have to platoon him this year. I understand that he can play first and outfield, but is somewhat shaky at third. If that is the case, is he really an immediate "upgrade?"

Platooning Huff would become even more difficult if Frank comes back. Ozzie has already had his hands full getting both Frank and Carl regular playing time without Huff in the mix. Whether Frank comes back or not, do the Sox trade or demote Gload? They certainly wouldn't need two guys to back-up Paulie. I would assume Timo would be demoted or traded since Huff can play outfield. From what I've read, we probably don't want to see Huff at third. If that is the case, Huff doesn't provide us a really good back-up for Joe.

What do you guys think?

Flight #24
07-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Platooning Huff would become even more difficult if Frank comes back. Ozzie has already had his hands full getting both Frank and Carl regular playing time without Huff in the mix. Whether Frank comes back or not, do the Sox trade or demote Gload? They certainly wouldn't need two guys to back-up Paulie. I would assume Timo would be demoted or traded since Huff can play outfield. From what I've read, we probably don't want to see Huff at third. If that is the case, Huff doesn't provide us a really good back-up for Joe.

What do you guys think?

There is no perfect deal. You have to find the best possible option, and IMO you have to operate as if Frank's not coming back or at least is unreliable because of his injury.

So you go get a Huff if you're convinced he's back on track, because I'm not sure you can rely on Carl every day. If Crede goes down, you play Huff at 3B and even though you lose some D, you get the advantage in O (plus, what's your alternative if Crede goes down?).

If Frank comes back, it's a nice problem to have to juggle some high-quality hitters, and it strengthens your bench since your "emergency fillin" is an upgrade from Timo to Huff.

Vernam
07-28-2005, 11:14 AM
If Crede goes down, you play Huff at 3B and even though you lose some D, you get the advantage in O (plus, what's your alternative if Crede goes down?). :gulp: This is a major side-benefit of getting Huff, that he could play 3B in a pinch. He would probably be no worse there than Ozuna.

With Frank's uncertain status and the apparent unavailability of Wagner, I'd be surprised if KW isn't applying the full-court press for Huff.

VC

Flight #24
07-28-2005, 11:18 AM
The more I think about things, the more I think KW's priorities should be

1) A hitter who can play 3B if necessary
2) Any hitter who can sub for Carl either to keep him fresh or to replace him if he can't get backon track
3) Another reliever
4) SP

Burnett's nice, but only if you can't do #s 1-3 (or if you can flip him for one of #s 1-3). If only Lowell could get back on track, that could be a perfect deal: Effectively solving problems 1 & 3 by doing the deal, getting some cash for Lowell, and flipping Burnett for Wagner.

Tragg
07-28-2005, 09:22 PM

2) Any hitter who can sub for Carl either to keep him fresh or to replace him if he can't get backon track
3) Another reliever
4) SP

Burnett's nice, but only if you can't do #s 1-3 (or if you can flip him for one of #s 1-3). If only Lowell could get back on track, that could be a perfect deal: Effectively solving problems 1 & 3 by doing the deal, getting some cash for Lowell, and flipping Burnett for Wagner.
I concur with your priorities.

Optipessimism
07-29-2005, 12:40 AM

3) Another reliever
4) SP

I can see that, but if I were KW my priorities wouldn't even include a starter right now. They would be:
1) ANY big LH bat that can play OF or DH
2) A LH closer/LH set up man
3) Another big bat
4) Alex Cintron

Chisox003
07-29-2005, 12:43 AM
I can see that, but if I were KW my priorities wouldn't even include a starter right now. They would be:
1) ANY big LH bat that can play OF or DH
2) A LH closer/LH set up man
3) Another big bat
4) Alex Cintron

In other words...

1. Griffey
2. Wagner
3. Huff
4. Cintron

I'd put wagner ahead of Griffey, and depending on what we'd give for Huff, him at #2....

Huff = Cheaper than PK, rather young, and will put up big numbers...Dont let the first 3 months of this season fool you, hes a good hitter

My list
1. Wagner
2. Huff
3. Griffey
4. Cintron (Id love this move....)
5. Burnett for the hell of it

Edit: Id take Schmidt over Burnett any day, but AJ is more of a possibility at this point, me thinks......

CYGarland20
07-29-2005, 01:51 AM

3) Another reliever
4) SP

Burnett's nice, but only if you can't do #s 1-3 (or if you can flip him for one of #s 1-3). If only Lowell could get back on track, that could be a perfect deal: Effectively solving problems 1 & 3 by doing the deal, getting some cash for Lowell, and flipping Burnett for Wagner. If you ask me the most important need on this club would definitely be another LH bat who can HIT! 2nd need would be a legit closer. 3rd need, a Starting Power Pitcher not named Contreras. Basically, Griffey/Huff, Wagner, Burnett/Schmidt. If we can get 2 outta those 3 that would be GREAT, but we MOST definitely need a Legit LH hitter who can ACTUALLY hit RH, and with Avg. :cool:

bumptious96
07-29-2005, 10:09 AM
I think Huff is going to be a stud for a long time. He's the perfect LH bat that this team needs. I don't think we need a another starter, especially with the price the Marlins are asking, especially if Burnett is simply a rent-a-player.

We already have two quality LH bullpen arms, which is great b/c almost all teams have only 1 and some even none. But the bullpen is one area where I would like to see the team improve to ensure we never see Vizcaino on the mound in the playoffs.

I think Baez would be a good, not great, acquisition. I'm not as high on Baez as I am on Huff. He has a 3.18 ERA and the most blown saves in the league. But, he also comes in for the eighth and ninth innings alot, because the D-Rays pen blows.

Huff is a career .291 hitter and if he didn't struggle so much the first half of this year his average would definitely be over .300. In his past two seasons he was a 30 HR/100 RBI guy with a BA over .300 and OPS of about .900. Oh yeah, and he bats LH!! We seem to struggle so much against righties.

Defensivelly Huff is no Gold Glover. At best he's average in the field. He's played RF 165 games with a .976 FPCT, 3B 211 games with a .920 FPCT (ouch), and 1B 129 games with a .990 FPCT. So...he could spell Pauly, Dye, Crede, or be a DH when righties are on the mound. He hit lefties at a .310 clip from 2002-2004.

This is a mega deal that must be done. We aren't going to get Wagner or Jr. because they just aren't available. This is the best deal we can make to shore up our two biggest weaknesses. You need LH hitting to combat the RH heavy pens of the teams we could face in the playoffs.

SouthSidein05
07-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Hey Guys, I'm new here. :smile:

My list,

1. A bat who can play 3rd or Sub for Everett.
2. Starting Pitcher
3. Relief Pitcher

I would love to add Aubrey Huff to the lineup, but D-Rays GM Chuck LaMar has been getting a lot of young talent from a lot of teams in trades lately. KW really wants to put a World Series team on the field, but lets hope he doesn't go overboard. I would take a SP over a RP. I would just love to get another arm in the rotation, so we can rest El Duque for the playoffs. A relief pitcher would also be nice, but if I want Kenny to pick up anyone, pick up a closer. The middle relief has been fantastic all year, and so has the closing, but I really didn't like what I saw last year out of Hermanson down the stretch in SF.

SouthSidein05
07-29-2005, 10:47 AM
From The St. Petersburg Times...(7/29)

Chisox stepping up in pursuit of Baez

Huff also mentioned

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/29/Rays/Chisox_stepping_up_in.shtml

Oh, God.

If I want any one from the Rays, I want Aubrey Huff.

Baez is a PRETTY GOOD closer. I'm not strecting it any further. So far this season he's 19 for 26 in save opportunities. Thats not fabulous. Plus, If you're looking for a guy who can close out games during the stretch, I really don't trust him any more than Hermanson. He hasn't been on a contending team for a while. He was closing out games for Cleveland in '03 (25 saves for the year), but at that point they were out of it by the break. As for Tampa, he's never been anywhere near a playoff race down there.

Madvora
07-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Huff also mentioned in this... http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/29/Rays/Chisox_stepping_up_in.shtml

Speculation has been that the White Sox have the most interest in acquiring either Devil Rays closer Danys Baez or outfielder/DH Aubrey Huff.