PDA

View Full Version : Cubs vs. Cardinal Fans...

MHOUSE
07-26-2005, 05:48 AM
I've always thought Cardinal fans to be knowledgable about their team and the game of baseball and somewhat allies of the White Sox against the Cubs. But, I had two interesting exchanges with Cub fans about them...

1) A friend who goes to St. Louis University and I were talking about living in Missouri (I attend Mizzou) and he said, "I'm a Cubs fan so I get it worse, but Cardinal fans are the most obnoxious fans ever." I just about laughed my head off.

2) I overheard a conversation at the restaurant where I work and some guy was asking his friend why the Cubs and Cardinals were such "big rivals" and how he didn't get it. I tried to explain that they are two of the older teams in baseball, have been division rivals forever, and also happen to share a border and play about 4 hours by car from one another. He still didn't understand.

Just thought these were kind of humorous, at least to me anyhow. :smile: Go Sox!

kittle42
07-26-2005, 01:58 PM
Cardinal fans are a different breed. Very, very odd people. Ever go to a game at Busch? That's about all you need to see. They are generally knowledgable and extremely passionate - but also kinda scary. As a group, they look like a late 1970's - early 1980's red-clad mob.

maurice
07-26-2005, 02:44 PM
"Obnoxious"? Not really.
"Different"? Yes.

It seems like, for Cards fans, going to a game is like going to church. Very serious, very standardized experience. Anything beyond sitting, watching and clapping is discouraged. It's clear that they're very knowledgeable (cheering sac flies, hitting behind the runner, etc.; not going crazy over IF popups) and go to the park to watch the game. In that sense they're more like Sox fans than cub fans. OTOH, most Sox fans go to the park to have a good time and like to laugh, smile, and get on the opposing team. That doesn't really describe Cards fans.

Madvora
07-26-2005, 03:09 PM
"Obnoxious"? Not really.
"Different"? Yes.

It seems like, for Cards fans, going to a game is like going to church. Very serious, very standardized experience. Anything beyond sitting, watching and clapping is discouraged. It's clear that they're very knowledgeable (cheering sac flies, hitting behind the runner, etc.; not going crazy over IF popups) and go to the park to watch the game. In that sense they're more like Sox fans than cub fans. OTOH, most Sox fans go to the park to have a good time and like to laugh, smile, and get on the opposing team. That doesn't really describe Cards fans.
I've told this story before, but from my one experience there, it couldn't have been more different than that.
Sox vs Cardinals. James Baldwin strikes out Mark MgGwire in the first inning. McGwire injures his back and is out for the rest of the game. From then on, nobody in the stadium besides the Sox fans were paying attention. The Sox blew a huge lead and blew the game, but then the Cardinals fans started cheering again in the 8th or 9th as the Sox collapsed.
- side note (Baldwin hits a triple in this game)

Baby Fisk
07-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Cardinal fans are a different breed. Very, very odd people. Ever go to a game at Busch? That's about all you need to see. They are generally knowledgable and extremely passionate - but also kinda scary. As a group, they look like a late 1970's - early 1980's red-clad mob.
Oddly, you get that vibe from Cards message boards too. Very SERIOUS people, almost TOO serious.

As for Cubs fans... :rolleyes: Whenever I see someone in Cubs gear, I can't help but look down at them. Rooting for the Cubs is like rooting for income tax: you have to be some kind of idiot to find joy in that. Sad, sorry pack of losers they are. And oblivious to it, which makes it worse/funnier/more pathetic.

BTW, welcome back from the penalty box kittle42. :cool:

StockdaleForVeep
07-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Both sides of the spectrum are vomit enducing. Theres a reason we reversed a river to send our sewage down here.

Letmehearya
07-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Stupid cub fans? What's the score? Is Sammy back from the disabled list? They traded him? Oh ... pass the chardonay.