PDA

View Full Version : Good wishes to St. Louis Cardinals fans...

hsnterprize
07-26-2005, 03:54 AM
I wrote a note to Cards' fans on their WSI-style website, Cards Clubhouse (http://www.cardsclubhouse.com), and extended to them best wishes for this season. Considering a White Sox/Cardinals World Series might be in the future, it's good to let them know we not only appreciate their team's good play, but the shared disdain for "all-things-Cub".

This is what I said. (http://cardsclubhouse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11697)

If you want to share some good words with the Cardinals' fans, go for it. The redbirds are playing excellent ball right now, and they're due for some love from the masses. Not to mention, we know there are a lot of Cards' fans who like our Sox, so this is a good chance to build some good rapport with them...that is until our teams meet for the World Series title in October. But if/when that happens, it'll be even sweeter seeing Cub fans cringing like crazy.

While you're looking at that site, check out this thread. (http://cardsclubhouse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11691)Someone took pictures from the Cards/Cubs game the other day, and there's a guy named "The Sign Guy" who taunted the north siders with his schtick. Pretty funny stuff.

aMiTyViLL
07-26-2005, 03:59 AM
pretty kool dude, thanks for being an ambassador :).

Letmehearya
07-26-2005, 08:17 AM
This is the type of diplomacy should be encouraged. Nice.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-26-2005, 08:47 AM
Great links, and great post. The Sign Guy with the "Yeah, it was Steve and Chip's fault" sign cracked me up. We need to fly that guy up for any Cards/Cubs games in the future.

The Sign Guy, brought to you by the Chicago White Sox - the non believers in curses for over 90 years.

Hangar18
07-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Yeah ........ but the dang Cardinals lost 2 of 3 to the Flubbies and got the Chicago Media going HOG WILD again with Cubs worldseries/playoff watches.
Has anyone seen the SunTimes today? They QUICKLY now have a WILDCARD WATCH up ....can you believe that? Not to mention MORE coverage for them and not us .......

KnightSox
07-26-2005, 09:47 AM
Considering the Cards suffer from the same East coast bias that we do [and disdain of all things cub]- it is a great idea to establish diplomacy with their fans,Unless we meet them in October of course.

MsSoxVixen22
07-26-2005, 10:01 AM
That's cool you did that. Hats off to you for coming up with the idea! :b&b

DaleJRFan
07-26-2005, 12:13 PM
While you're looking at that site, check out this thread.

Do you think that Cardinal fans know that Vince Coleman works for the Cubs as a baserunning coach???

bludupree
07-26-2005, 01:03 PM
Cardinal fans are alright, but be careful. I live in St. Louis and when I came down here I was an immediate Cardinal fan (2nd to Sox of course) and assumed that Cardinal fans would at least respect the Sox. I must say that in my experience this is not the case. In the second half of last year when the Sox were deteriorating I heard about it every day. It was rubbed in my face by several different Cardinal fans. The said the Sox won't do anything 'cause they are the Sox. I tried making extreme 1-1 bets at the beginning of this year on the Sox taking the central and everyone backed down, although they all claimed the Sox would be in 4th 'cause ESPN and SI said so. They also make fun of our attendance and say that we are crappy fans since ESPN said no one goes to our games. I still hear about how the Cardinals will soon have a better record than the Sox and how the Cardinals are a much better team. I no longer like the Cardinals and usually cheer against them. I know this is a bit ridiculous, but I actually didn't care when the Cubs won on Sunday night. I was kind of happy since the Cards blew so many opportunities.

Without living down here you might wonder why this is true. I have a reason, and although it sounds smug, I really believe it is true. People in St. Louis have Chicago envy. It is all I can come up with.

Baby Fisk
07-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Very classy post, hsnterprise. :thumbsup:

Now, if a Red Sox fan had posted to that site:

"Greetings from the 2004 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE -- THE BOSTON RED SOX! Congrats and awl on your good season so far, but just remember how last year turned out: THE BOSTON RED SOX BECAME CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD! Hopefully you will have good luck in the second half, but just remember if you make it to the world series again, you will face the 2004 WORLD CHAMPS again, and help make them the 2005 WORLD CHAMPION BOSTON RED SOX. Don't fret, though, we'll send you some WORLD SERIES RINGS to make you feel better about yourselves in relation to ourselves. EVERYONE LOVES BOSTON! AYUP!"

...and if a Cubs fan had posted to that site:

"CARDS SUK! YOU SUK WITH YOUR COOKIE CUTER STADIUM WITHOUT ANY OF THE WINNING HISTORY AND TRADITION OF RIGLEY FIELD, THE BEST PAKR IN ALL OF BASEBALL. LOTS OF GIRLS. HOT HOT!@ BEER! SAMMY! EVERYON LOVES THE CUBS! WOO!"

owensmouth
07-26-2005, 01:21 PM
I still think Illinois aught to erect a giant croquet mallet and ball...

robiwho
07-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Without living down here you might wonder why this is true. I have a reason, and although it sounds smug, I really believe it is true. People in St. Louis have Chicago envy. It is all I can come up with.

My dad works in St. Louis half of the week and completely hates it and the Cardinals. He gets a lot of flak from coworkers about the Sox. I think he'd agree with you about their Chicago envy.

putherawaywet
07-26-2005, 02:21 PM
I have no interest in facing the Cards in the World Series. Mainly because then we'll have them up here thus making it even harder for us to get tickets. Oh yeah, and they are the best team in the NL so I'd rather face any of the other teams instead. You should be more concerned about our World Series title chances than some lame midwestern diplomacy.

LongLiveFisk
07-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Although it's a friendly, diplomatic gesture on your part, I think White Sox fans should not try too hard to establish alliances with fans of other teams. To use the "we both hate the Cubs" mantra seems obvious, but keep in mind how much we disdain this force-fed and phony alliance which seems to have formed between Cubs and Red Sox fans. I would rather not see us go down the same pathetic path. Let's just be proud and supportive of our team and let others do the same for their own.

(Just my humble opinion) :cool:

I want Mags back
07-26-2005, 02:47 PM
I know alot of people like the Cardinals because of our hatered of the Flubs, but they better start losing some games so I can win $20 if we finish with the best record in Baseball

samram
07-26-2005, 02:48 PM
My dad works in St. Louis half of the week and completely hates it and the Cardinals. He gets a lot of flak from coworkers about the Sox. I think he'd agree with you about their Chicago envy.

No doubt it's Chicago envy. It exists in downstate Illinois, St. Louis, and in Wisconsin, whether in Milwaukee or Madison. If you want to have some fun, next time you run into someone from Milwaukee, tell them you always like visiting Chicago's biggest suburb.

dcb33
07-26-2005, 02:58 PM
I still think Illinois aught to erect a giant croquet mallet and ball...

:rolling: