PDA

View Full Version : J Schmidt OR AJ Burnett

Whitesox4ever
07-25-2005, 11:38 PM
B Levine reports that KW and a few others from the SOX organzation were at Wrigley tonight to watch Schmidt and they were very impressed..

So who would you rather have AJ or Schmidt and who do you think KW wants

SpammySosa
07-25-2005, 11:45 PM
B Levine reports that KW and a few others from the SOX organzation were at Wrigley tonight to watch Schmidt and they were very impressed..

So who would you rather have AJ or Schmidt and who do you think KW wants

You shouldn't have! Just what I always wanted:ANOTHER AJB/J Schmidt thread!:rolleyes:

MIgrenade
07-25-2005, 11:46 PM
Since I think both can be dominating, but are injury risks and can get shelled occasionally and might walk after this season, I would have to say you go for the cheaper guy.
This only changes if you can re-sign one of them and you think it's worth it to do so. I am not sold that these guys are upgrades.

Actually, I really hope neither guy gets moved at all. That way I know the Sox are the strongest team. Nothing would be worse than to face one of these guys in the playoffs and get beat when you know he was to be had. If the prices stay where they are right now, they probably won't move.

balke
07-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Its no question for me that you take Jason Schmidt. He's knocked the DL rust off, and can flat out pitch and win, whether throwing 98 or not.

PeteWard
07-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Burnett is staying with Fla. Schmidt? Well what is SF asking and hw much of an improvement would he be for the Sox?

A.T. Money
07-25-2005, 11:49 PM
Schmidt might actually help us win a game out west.

Tragg
07-26-2005, 12:00 AM
It will be hard to get Schmidt. That division is so bad that it won't take much for the Giants to become contenders real quickly again.

I'll say this for Schmidt: he was dominant for a couple of years - in the production sense, versus the mere "stuff" sense.

Whitesox4ever
07-26-2005, 12:03 AM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said Monday he expects to have the same 25-man roster when the non-waiver trading deadline expires at 3 p.m. Sunday.

But that hasn't stopped the Sox or other teams from exploring possibilities.

The latest team to take a long look at the Sox is the San Francisco Giants, who have been hesitant to trade All-Star pitcher Jason Schmidt and left-handed reliever Scott Eyre, a former White Sox.

The Giants had Ted Uhlaender, one of their top talent evaluators, in attendance at Monday night's Sox-Kansas City game.

The Sox have yet to finalize a deal with Florida and hard-throwing right-hander A.J. Burnett, whom Boston also is pursuing. Part of a proposed trade with Florida could involve Sox left-handed reliever Damaso Marte so the Sox would need another left-hander to complement Neal Cotts.

Eyre, 33, has been one of the few valuable players on a tattered San Francisco roster. Entering play Monday, Eyre has a 2.55 ERA in 52 games. He has struck out 38 batters in 42 1/3 innings and has 16 holds.

Eyre has limited opponents to a .189 batting average this season after opponents batted .219 against him last season.

Durability also is one of Eyre's strengths. He has pitched in 70 or more games in each of the previous three seasons, including a career-high 83 games in 2004.

Eyre will make close to $1.52 million this season.

Trading Eyre might make more sense for San Francisco than moving Schmidt, 32, who had a 7-5 record and 4.74 ERA entering Monday night's game against the Cubs. The Giants hold a $10.5 million option on Schmidt, who has pitched at least 207 innings in each of the past two seasons.

Entering Monday's game, Schmidt had struck out 105 in 1061/3 innings, including 10 strikeouts in seven innings against Atlanta on July 19.

Schmidt had an 18-7 record in 2004 with 251 strikeouts in 225 innings, and he was the National League's ERA leader (2.34) in 2003.

The Sox and San Francisco have been trade partners in the past, most notably the 1997 "White Flag" deal that brought the Giants pitchers Wilson Alvarez, Roberto Hernandez and Danny Darwin.

The trade helped the Giants win their first NL West title in eight seasons, but it also brought the Sox six minor-league players led by All-Star closer Keith Foulke.

The Giants' farm system, ranked 17th in Baseball America, is pitching-heavy. The Giants have scouted the Sox's Double-A and Triple-A teams thoroughly and could be attracted by Birmingham outfielder Chris Young, who has 18 home runs in 322 at-bats.

Florida had a scout at Brandon McCarthy's last start Friday for Charlotte, in which McCarthy allowed two runs on five hits while striking out eight in six innings at Syracuse.

The Marlins likely would need a starting pitcher in a deal involving Burnett, raising the possibility a third team (Pittsburgh) could be included.

Guillen, however, downplayed the need for another starter and seemed prepared to have his current rotation ready once the Sox clinch a playoff berth.

"Right now, I don't think we're going to do anything," Guillen said. "If you make the playoffs, you're going to use three [starters]. And your bullpen is going to be stronger. Maybe in the second round, you're going to need four [starters]."

</FONT>

Tragg
07-26-2005, 12:11 AM
The Giants' farm system, ranked 17th in Baseball America, is pitching-heavy. The Giants have scouted the Sox's Double-A and Triple-A teams thoroughly and could be attracted by Birmingham outfielder Chris Young, who has 18 home runs in 322 at-bats.

Oooh, please not Young (from what I've heard), but the Giants may be the better trading partner, considering that we have excess in outfield minor league talent, while not much in the way of pitching talent and pitching isn't what they need.

TimoandAaron
07-26-2005, 12:16 AM

So who would you rather have AJ or Schmidt and who do you think KW wantswouldnt it be easier to make a poll?

And the answers are as follows:
1 AJ
2 jason
3 neither, grab a stick
4 send this, like many other polls to Whats the Score?

soxfan123
07-26-2005, 12:19 AM
not even close, it's schmidt. Neglect the injuries, this guy is amazing. I'll take half a season of Schmidt baseball over a full year of decent Burnett pitching. This guy is a quality ace. When Bonds was healthy, it was him and Schmidt that carried the team beyond mediocrity. If we could get Schmidt, there is NO stopping us. Think about that:

Buehrle
Schmidt
Garland
Garcia

!!!!

Jjav829
07-26-2005, 01:22 AM
I'll take either one. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I guess Schmidt appeals to me a bit more because he was the best pitcher in the NL over the last two years. Still, you can't ignore that his velocity is down. Now he seems to have adjusted to using his offspeed stuff a bit more. I like the fact that he has some good postseason experience as well. Burnett is appealing because of his stuff. He's still a true power pitcher who can dominate opponents. His future is obviously brighter, though we're only looking at this year.

I think it also depends on the price. If it's going to cost Marte, McCarthy and Contreras to get Burnett, maybe we can land Schmidt for Contreras, McCarthy and a lesser prospect instead. That way we wouldn't be losing Marte out of the pen and the only major leaguer we would lose, Contreras, would be replaced by the upgrade to Schmidt.

Like I said though, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

professionalfan
07-26-2005, 01:27 AM
I wish it was the 31st already. I'm going nuts!:rolleyes:

Fredsox
07-26-2005, 05:38 AM
There is a possibility that this is gamesmanship on the part of KW. News reports have said repeatedly that SF is not really looking to trade Schmidt (which may be BS but let's assume it's true). In that case KW might be pushing Florida a bit saying "if you can't tie this deal up we'll offer it to someone else".

BeviBall!
07-26-2005, 07:59 AM
I found it interesting that KW stayed behind and that the Giants are in town. Perfect timing perhaps?

Italian Sausage
07-26-2005, 11:14 AM
We've heard the rumors about AJB coming to the Sox, but I just heard that Schmidt might be coming too. Just imagine that rotation:

Buehrle
Schmidt
Garcia
Garland
Burnett

NOBODY COULD COMPETE WITH THAT. NOBODY. GET 'ER DONE KENNY!

fquaye149
07-26-2005, 11:15 AM
um

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-26-2005, 11:16 AM
An Italian guy quoting a redneck comic??

Smells like....

:dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:

Mercy!
07-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Buon Giorno!

What's the Score, do you suppose?

zach074
07-26-2005, 11:22 AM
I will take either.

gr8mexico
07-26-2005, 11:31 AM
If the Sox could get Jason Schmidt it would be alot better just because the Sox would be able to keep him thru next year. Then the Sox could trade Contreras to another team and payroll will still be at about the same. It looks like KW is going to pull of an amazing trade. Let's just hope is soon.