PDA

View Full Version : Nevin envokes no trade clause

Banix12
07-25-2005, 10:41 PM
For the second time, Phil Nevin envokes the no-trade clause in his contract to keep him in San Diego. Ponson for Nevin is off.

I hope he likes riding the bench, since I see a lot of that in his future.

ESPN Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2115581)

munchman33
07-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Can't really blame him. His family is there and his team is in first place. I wouldn't leave either.

MIgrenade
07-25-2005, 11:32 PM
I really don't see Ponson helping them anyway.

SoxSpeed22
07-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Man, he just stopped the rip-off of the year. A short October is better than no October.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-26-2005, 08:28 AM
A short October is better than no October.
Yep, that's why I hate it when players invoke their no-trade clauses to stay with a last-place team instead of going to a contender.
<< cough >> Juan Gonzalez << cough >>...

34 Inch Stick
07-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Can't really blame him. His family is there and his team is in first place. I wouldn't leave either.

If it was that obvious of a decision it should not have taken him that long to make it official. I have a real problem with the way he has handled himself the last week.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-26-2005, 12:23 PM
If it was that obvious of a decision it should not have taken him that long to make it official. I have a real problem with the way he has handled himself the last week.
The reason he gave was that he wanted to discuss it with his family in person, and he and the Padres were on a road trip when the trade was announced...

ilsox7
07-26-2005, 12:23 PM

Why? Because he was on a road trip and wanted to sit down with his family and discuss this? I have a lot of respect for him. He put his family above everything else, which is nice to see in this day and age.

munchman33
07-26-2005, 04:49 PM

You obviously don't know the specifics of the situation.

StillMissOzzie
07-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Why? Because he was on a road trip and wanted to sit down with his family and discuss this? I have a lot of respect for him. He put his family above everything else, which is nice to see in this day and age.

I agree. I don't see why more free agents don't ask for no-trade clauses, unless the brass only include them for the creme-de-la-creme free agents. Whether it's for money, playing time, or a chance to win, if a free agent chooses to sign with Team A instead of Team B, they shouldn't be forced to leave.

SMO
:gulp:

34 Inch Stick
07-27-2005, 07:57 AM
You obviously don't know the specifics of the situation.

I imagine I know the same amount of specifics as you and the posters above. I read the story on the situation from several sources.

He was presented with a similar situation the year before. As an underachieving high money player it should have been something that was anticipated by both he and his family. They should have and apparently did have an answer without much hand wringing. Yet it took several days to answer. When you make 11 million a year, you fly your wife and family out to you overnight for big family discusssions.

And how did he put his family before himself. He decided to stay in the area he has lived in virtually his entire life. He stayed with a team that is most likely going to make the playoffs rather than going to a team that is most likely not going to make the playoffs. The better situation for him was in San Diego.

Ultimately this was a decision that was a virtual no brainer for him and his family. Yet he strung the Padres out for several days. As I said, I have a real problem with the way he handled himself on this.

But I am sure you have a much better grasp of this incredibly complex issue munch.

munchman33
07-27-2005, 08:03 AM
When you make 11 million a year, you fly your wife and family out to you overnight for big family discusssions.

Right.... Flying out overnight with children is always convenient for anyone.

Ultimately this was a decision that was a virtual no brainer for him and his family. Yet he strung the Padres out for several days. As I said, I have a real problem with the way he handled himself on this.

Because Baltimore has no chance at the playoffs, and is obviously not as good as the Padres despite having a better record.

But I am sure you have a much better grasp of this incredibly complex issue munch.

At least you got one thing right.

34 Inch Stick
07-27-2005, 08:27 AM
Right.... Flying out overnight with children is always convenient for anyone.

Because Baltimore has no chance at the playoffs, and is obviously not as good as the Padres despite having a better record.

At least you got one thing right.

At 11 million you take a little incovenience and I know how difficult flying first class might be. The Padres probably would have even picked up the tab to get the situation resolved more expeditiously. Good overstatement though.

Take a poll about Baltimore's playoff chances versus the Padres chances. I am willing to estimate Baltimore is the preferred choice by no more than 40%. As I'm sure you know, it is the record relative to the other teams in your league/division that determines whether you make the playoffs. Under this scenario a team that is leading its division by 3 games versus a team that is behind 2 teams by 3 games is in a much more desireable position. Keep defending this position, you might get somewhere.

Then explain why the decision should have taken the amount of time it did because I am to simple to figure it out.

munchman33
07-27-2005, 08:48 AM
At 11 million you take a little incovenience and I know how difficult flying first class might be. The Padres probably would have even picked up the tab to get the situation resolved more expeditiously. Good overstatement though.

Take a poll about Baltimore's playoff chances versus the Padres chances. I am willing to estimate Baltimore is the preferred choice by no more than 40%. As I'm sure you know, it is the record relative to the other teams in your league/division that determines whether you make the playoffs. Under this scenario a team that is leading its division by 3 games versus a team that is behind 2 teams by 3 games is in a much more desireable position. Keep defending this position, you might get somewhere.

Then explain why the decision should have taken the amount of time it did because I am to simple to figure it out.

Have you ever had a work transfer to another city on the complete opposite side of the country? I don't understand why you think its a light decision that doesn't take careful consideration.

And when contemplating whether San Diego or Baltimore goes to the playoffs, both are a crap shoot. San Diego is in a crappy division, but they're a .500 team. Baltimore has just as good a shot. That's a tough decision.