PDA

View Full Version : Whos better

JermaineDye05
07-25-2005, 09:39 PM
in your mind who's better when they are on their A game, Brandon McCarthy, or cubs left handed phenom Rich Hill, in case you didn't know, in '04 Brandon struck out 406 and walked only 60 in 351 innings, I'm not sure how Hill did, but so far he has about 150 strike outs this season in the minors

Randar68
07-25-2005, 10:17 PM
in your mind who's better when they are on their A game, Brandon McCarthy, or cubs left handed phenom Rich Hill, in case you didn't know, in '04 Brandon struck out 406 and walked only 60 in 351 innings, I'm not sure how Hill did, but so far he has about 150 strike outs this season in the minors

Don't know as I have never seen Hill pitch, but he has never pitched 351 innings in one season before, I can tell you that for sure.

ChiSoxRowand
07-25-2005, 11:28 PM
I don't know too much about Hill, but not having WCIU I saw a lot of tonight's Cubs game and he has a great curve. But all in all Brandon is probably a better prospect.

bennyw41
07-25-2005, 11:33 PM

Are these numbers possible?

JermaineDye05
07-25-2005, 11:36 PM
comparing their first major league starts, Brandon going 5 1/3 striking out six, walking 1 and letting up 2 on 4 hits, one of the runs because of vizcaino, and Rich Hill going 5 innings striking out 5, walking 2 and giving up 2 on 5 hits, they both seem pretty similar, Brandon may have a bigger future it seems considering he is younger

JermaineDye05
07-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Are these numbers possible?

thats what i wondered, must be so, i read it in a story on mlb.com, http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20050522&content_id=1059379&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

rdivaldi
07-26-2005, 12:31 AM
I like Hill alot as a prospect, he reminds me a bit of Buehrle. From what I've seen of the two, I believe that Brandon has the higher upside. He has better velocity and a better repetoire of pitches. Whether or not he can harness his talent is another story...

Tragg
07-26-2005, 12:57 AM
McCarthy is going to be a really good pitcher. He's had, what 5 ML starts? 2 good, 3 bad. Not a terrible start. We're a major contender, so we can't give him the starts he needs right now. And they weren't September starts when a lot of the pressure's off, either.
He's the most legitimate pitching prospect we've had in ages. Boy I hope we keep him.

soxfanreggie
07-26-2005, 01:22 AM
Key word is THROUGH 2004 he has those stats.

Hagan
07-26-2005, 02:37 AM

these are his career stats between 2002-2004 I like mccarthy more as a prospect but not as a pitcher right now. hill had a good outing today and seems like a good pitcher with his number. mccarthy needs to fix some things and he should be a good one but he just isnt ready yet.

nelly+luis=gods
07-26-2005, 02:49 PM
these are his career stats between 2002-2004 I like mccarthy more as a prospect but not as a pitcher right now. hill had a good outing today and seems like a good pitcher with his number. mccarthy needs to fix some things and he should be a good one but he just isnt ready yet.

Brandon really needs to work on getting more movement in his fastball. Could u imagine a cutter or sinker coming from his high release. Other than that I hear he has really gained a grasp on his changeup in the last month or so in Charlotte.

Randar68
07-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Brandon really needs to work on getting more movement in his fastball. Could u imagine a cutter or sinker coming from his high release. Other than that I hear he has really gained a grasp on his changeup in the last month or so in Charlotte.

IMO he needs that change-up to be an effective pitch that he has confidence in. People don't miss straight fastballs if that's all you can throw. He needs to be able to locate that fastball and have a second offspeed pitch he can rely on because not all umps are consistent at call that curve for strikes and if you're a one-pitch pitcher with a 92 mph fastball, you're going to get hit...