PDA

View Full Version : Most obscure WhiteSox autograph

mike squires
07-25-2005, 04:45 PM
This is the thread for those of you that have gotten autographs of the behind the scene type people. I guess mine would have to be Nancy Faust and Herm Schneider. Anybody got Gene or Roger???

TornLabrum
07-25-2005, 05:04 PM
This is the thread for those of you that have gotten autographs of the behind the scene type people. I guess mine would have to be Nancy Faust and Herm Schneider. Anybody got Gene or Roger???

Never got Gene's autograph, but I interviewed him ten years ago for the first WCSF newsletter.

HITMEN OF 77
07-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Somwhere I have an auto of the guy who ran the Sox picnic BBQ area in 1969 or 1970 on a game program. I need to dig that out.

SpammySosa
07-25-2005, 05:30 PM

I have Nancy Faust's on a SoxFest 2005 ticket stub,an Old Comiskey trading card and a card she gave me of herself playing the organ.I also have Gene's on a SF'05 ticket stub,in addition to John Rooney. I would like to get Roger's on a Highland Mint certificate which came with a medallion that contains dirt from the 2003 AS Game.I'm not sure what I would have Herm sign,but I want his too.A couple years ago I set out to collect as many current and former Sox players autographs(mostly on trading cards)as I could,as well as the people you mentioned that are closely involved with the team.So far I have almost 300 Sox players/representatives in my collection.It is a relatively inexpensive hobby(so far) and is just another way to express my love for the Sox,not to mention interact with those involved with the sport and team I am devoted to.

TornLabrum
07-25-2005, 05:44 PM
I have Nancy Faust's on a SoxFest 2005 ticket stub,an Old Comiskey trading card and a card she gave me of herself playing the organ.I also have Gene's on a SF'05 ticket stub,in addition to John Rooney. I would like to get Roger's on a Highland Mint certificate which came with a medallion that contains dirt from the 2003 AS Game.I'm not sure what I would have Herm sign,but I want his too.A couple years ago I set out to collect as many current and former Sox players autographs(mostly on trading cards)as I could,as well as the people you mentioned that are closely involved with the team.So far I have almost 300 Sox players/representatives in my collection.It is a relatively inexpensive hobby(so far) and is just another way to express my love for the Sox,not to mention interact with those involved with the sport and team I am devoted to.

If I was smart last Friday, I would have gotten Brooks Boyer's and Bryan Dolgin's. Why didn't somebody start this thread earlier?

Oh, I forgot to mention, I have Nancy's in my White Sox Encyclopedia.

FoulTerritory
07-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Marc Hill. Yes, he's a player, but pretty obscure. He lived next door to my mom's best friend for awhile.

The weird thing is, his kids were big cubs fans. Had Cubs paraphenalia on and all. Depressing.

chisoxfan64
07-25-2005, 07:17 PM
About 20 years ago at old Comiskey, I talked a beer vendor inot giving me his hat. I had him sign it too.:gulp:

TornLabrum
07-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Marc Hill.

The Booter!

JRIG
07-25-2005, 08:10 PM
McKay Christiansen

soxwon
07-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Russell j (rusty) kuntz

Great baseball name

Banix12
07-25-2005, 08:58 PM
My mother is an organist who used to be work with a singer who used to regularly sing the national anthem in the late 80's. Because of that I got Nancy Faust's autograph as well as some pretty nice seats occasionally.

I also have a 1990 sox calendar which has Carlos Martinez's autograph on it, wedged between Ivan Calderon's and Ozzie Guillen's.

slobes
07-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Nancy and my man, MAN SOO LEE (he signs it simply "Man Soo")

Brian26
07-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Josh Rupe.

LongLiveFisk
07-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Junior Moore....from the late 70s Sox teams.

Anyone else remember him? :tongue:

whitesoxwilkes
07-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Josh Rupe.

Josh Paul.

Oh yeah, and Dave Wills signed a scorecard for me after the 2004 opener.

whtsx1959
07-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Last year during the rainout against the blue jays I got Nancy's, Boston John's (Program seller on 1st base side 100 level), and a bunch of people who work at the upper deck concessions

WhiteSoxNation
07-25-2005, 09:37 PM
jerry manual!!!

and i got hwak and DJ

dpbyron
07-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Melido Perez...

rookieroy
07-25-2005, 10:32 PM
I have two interesting ones.

Steve Dahl. This one rocks because he signed my ball on the sweet spot and to the left he wrote "Disco Sucks" and to the right...."Go Sox".

Roland Hemond signed inside the cover of my Charlie Lau - The Art of Hitting book. Roland rocks and you would know why if you ever have a chance to talk with him!

:bandance:

DrummerGeorgefan
07-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Well my best day of obscure autographs had to be the opening day when I got Andy the Clown and clubhouse manager Willie Thompson. I got Andy's right at the box office and I got Willie right by the old 'No resale of tickets' tree.

My second place obscurity trophy goes to Edgar Smith. While not obscure, they had a Bob Feller-Edgar Smith day at the old palace. I got Bob Feller to sign a program and Edgar Smith signed right over it. I think the old man was a bit peeved that more sox fans wanted Feller's autograph over his. That or he just didnt know what was going on.

SpammySosa
07-25-2005, 10:41 PM
If we are also counting players,then I have been fortunate enough to get quite a few obscure ones,with Herb Adams(played a total of 95 games from '48-'50) being the most obscure to come to mind.

UofCSoxFan
07-25-2005, 10:41 PM
I got career white sox minor leaguer Michael Jordan. I heard he made a name for himself outside of baseball.

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Lyle Mouton!

J Co
07-25-2005, 11:07 PM
I haven't seen them in years, but somewhere I have a baseball with Bucky Dent's sig and a scorecard with Royle Stillman (which I'm sure would go for big bucks on ebay)

monkeypants
07-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Roobarb!

FedEx227
07-25-2005, 11:30 PM
I got career white sox minor leaguer Michael Jordan. I heard he made a name for himself outside of baseball.

Yeah, hes this one basketball phenom's father...

and one hell of a celebrity tournament golfer!

and my favorite random white sox players autograph has to be either Man Soo Lee "Man Soo" (what a Man!), Josh Paul (He literally asked me and my friend after a game if we wanted the autograph, we were just walking to my friend's dads car), and lastely Chris Snopek (he was destined for big things :(: )

maristsox
07-25-2005, 11:54 PM
josh paul, jose canseco, and bobby howry

WhiteSox16K
07-26-2005, 12:01 AM
Hawk...

...on a Can-o-Corn

joe_tansey2004
07-26-2005, 12:03 AM

My friend and I were drunk at the Sox Dodgers game and we got South Paw to sign our ticket stubs. I gotta get it framed.

GregoryEtc
07-26-2005, 12:18 AM
I've got you all beat. I've got Ron Karkovice's son! He was sittin with Karko at SoxFest in like '92. The kid was like 3 years old at the time so its just a little wiggly line... but I'll always remember it. Karko thought it was pretty hilarious.

michned
07-26-2005, 12:28 AM
Joe Lonnett, third base coach under Chuck Tanner.

StillMissOzzie
07-26-2005, 12:41 AM
I got autographs of Gene Honda, Roland Hemond, and Terry "Boom Boom" Bevington at various SoxFests. Ballplayers-I'd have to go look 'em up, but they include such luminaries as the afore-mentioned Lyle Mouton, Jeff Abbott, John Snyder, and the guy who kept injuring his hand just as spring training was ending, Simmons, IIRC.

SMO
:gulp:

RadioheadRocks
07-26-2005, 12:48 AM
When I worked airport security at O'Hare (United terminal) in 1988, I met 2B/DH Mike Woodard (local player from Proviso East H.S.) when he was returning to AAA. He had to go through international baggage screening for his flight to Vancouver B.C., and he graciously gave me his autograph... on a Mexico tourist form!!! (it was the only thing handy for him to sign at the time!). I still have it stashed with my 1988 Sox program.

TDog
07-26-2005, 12:52 AM
I have a baseball autographed by Lorenzo Barcelo, which is more obscure than the ones I have autographed by Jon Rauch and Joe Borchard. My Corwin Malone ball probably doesn't count, as he hasn't made it to the Sox.

My most obscure Sox autograph, though, is probably Roly de Armas, who was the White Sox bullpen coach, or maybe the bullpen catcher, in the mid-1990s. I have it on a baseball that also bears the signatures of at least three Hall of Famers: Bob Feller, Bob Gibson and Monte Irvin.

Nellie_Fox
07-26-2005, 01:14 AM
I have a ball autographed by the '65 Sox. I'm quite certain that some of the difficult to read names on it are pretty obscure. How's Greg Bollo for you?

ChiSoxPatF
07-26-2005, 01:23 AM
Roobarb!

SCORE! I've got Ribbie's! That made my Sox childhood.

WhiteSox16K
07-26-2005, 01:48 AM
Chris Honel signed ball, Herbert Perry signed photo, David Wells signed ball, Jeff Leifer signed ball. Although I'm sure some of you also have similarl players autographs.

I also once got Jay Buhner to autograph a ball in one of my first trips to 'New' Comiskey - although, I don't think a Mariner's autograph can count as an obscure White Sox one.

SOX LA Mikey
07-26-2005, 03:12 AM
How funny, I live in LA but was in Chi until Sunday the 24th
one of my hobbies is getting Sox autographs and former
Sox on their Sox cards. With the buttPirates in town
I got ex Sox Josh Fogg and the aforementioned Rusty Kuntz
on a 1980 Donruss card (he pretended to blow dust off it)
also got the aforementioned Nancy to sign a 1983 WhiteSox issued card,
She's such a Sweetheart, She also posed for a photo
and actually seemed pleased to meet me. I was 2 feet away
from the aforementioned Sodfather, but I was on the Tigers side
of the field so I wasn't prepared to get his autograph, I've gotten
other Sox people on a blank 2x3 card (Herm, Reinsdorf, EE)
that I printed the Sox logo in the corner.

I was sad to hear that one week after i left town, Richie Allen
will be appearing at the National in Rosemont, he was one of my
early Sox heroes but I never got him at the Ballpark
anybody in town care to help me out??

1951Campbell
07-26-2005, 07:59 AM
Matt Murello.

Baby Fisk
07-26-2005, 07:59 AM
Journeyman Terry Leach (a submarine reliever) signed my hat in 1992.

BedfordChisox
07-26-2005, 08:01 AM
I got Andy the Clown's autograph during the first game at New Comiskey. At the time, Andy only had his face painted and was wearing street clothes. There was some scuttlebut about how the Sox brass didn't want him performing at the new ballpark, so he was the recipient of a lot of media sympathy given the years he had put in with the Sox. He showed me his gratitude for the sympathy by charging me $5 for the autograph (I was drunk enough to pay it... I wanted to show it to my Dad) and groping my girlfriend at the time (a subsequent marriage, divorce and separation from a fair amount of my money makes me wish Andy had simply held on to her... the $5 would have been well worth it).

southpaw40
07-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Salome Barojas & Ernesto Escarrega

Milw
07-26-2005, 08:35 AM
Lorenzo Barcelo

bumptious96
07-26-2005, 09:27 AM
The one, the only infielder Chris Snopek.

mike squires
07-26-2005, 10:24 AM
Salome Barojas & Ernesto Escarrega

oh, old Salome. I was hoping he would be at the reunion to sign my seat. I'd say my most obscure player would be the allready mentioned McCay Christ...oops check that! I got Rodney Mcray to sign a ball once. He's the one they show crashing through that wall during the minor league game.

TDog
07-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Joe Lonnett, third base coach under Chuck Tanner.

In one of those years red pinstripes seasons, I was standing near the field as kids were lined up for Coach Joe's autograph. One kid handed him a scrap of brown paper that looked like it came from a shopping bag. "What are you going to do with this?" Lonnett asked. "You're just going to throw it away." The kid insisted he wouldn't, and Lonnett signed it. "But you're just going to throw it away," he said.

It would be cool if you were that kid.

Steakpita
07-26-2005, 12:16 PM
They used to have the "pick up x amount of empty plastic cups and turn them in for a REAL WHITE SOX AUTOGRAPHED PHOTO AND OTHER EXCITING PRIZES!" promotion - also known as the "We don't want to pay janitorial staff Promotion" ... I spent six innings running around the damn park, collected some ridiculous number of cups and finally got them in, expecting, you know, Frank or something. Who do I get?

Jose DeLeon.

::sigh::

He probably had the choice of either signing a bunch of photos or being the one cleaning up the cups.

Risk
07-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Shawn Abner

Risk

tacosalbarojas
07-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Jerry Hairston's wife.

Stroker Ace
07-26-2005, 01:09 PM
I've accidently was handed back an assignment from Ken Williams son. (I had advanced biology with him senior year) Does that count?

Moses_Scurry
07-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Jeff Bittiger, Dave LaPoint, and Eric Hill (I think was his name)

I went to a game in 1987 or 1988 and got 5 or 6 autographs by the dugout before the game. Those three were the ones that are pretty much forgotten now. I also got Black Jack McDowell (but it was before he was good) and Ozzie's signatures at that game.

The team was awful that year!

mike squires
07-26-2005, 04:27 PM
I just remembered, I got Bruce Tanner once before a game. I think that's a bit more obscure than Mckay and maybe Rodney Mcray.

whitesoxwilkes
07-26-2005, 04:59 PM
Couple more I just thought of: Antonio Osuna and Mark Johnson...same day, on the same ball.

mike squires
07-26-2005, 10:43 PM
intersestingly enough, they did a a little interview with Rodney Mccray tonight on Sportscenter where they caught up with him and showed the highlight of him going through the wall. I posted it before I saw the piece.

Tragg
07-26-2005, 11:30 PM
I had a Dennis Lamp autograph once from the early 80s. Sat next to him on a plane.
Lost it @ some point over the years.

MikeW
07-27-2005, 10:16 PM
I have spent about 25 years writing to different Sox players trying to get everyone who played with the Sox from 1950 on. The more obscure ones that I have gotten over the years are Bobby Powell,Bob Roselli,Jeoff Long and Brian McCall. If you remember these guys, you are a true fan.

alohafri
07-27-2005, 11:52 PM
Never got Gene's autograph, but I interviewed him ten years ago for the first WCSF newsletter.

I have Gene's...met him at SoxFest a few years ago. Very nice man.

My most obscure player was Jack Kucek. He passed out the trophies at the end of the year tee-ball reception in Bolingbrook in 1970something.
Somewhere I have my picture with him.

Cowch44
07-28-2005, 01:37 AM
Lorenzo Barcelo

I remember on a Kid's Day there was a line for him(and some other guy) and there was almost no one in his line, so I got him to sign my ticket.

3rdgensoxfan
07-28-2005, 02:27 PM
From a Sox Fest a long time ago, I have Nancy's autograph, John Rooney's, Ozzie and a couple other assorted sigs.

Mr. White Sox
07-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Mike Porzio and Matt Ginter...on the same ball.

Oh, good story.

My next door neighbor and his family were leaving a bulls game about six or seven years ago, and they decided to wait by the players' entrance to get autographs. None of the players stopped for anyone, so most people left. His family was one of the last to leave, when a car pulls up and stops right by them. The window rolls down, and...it's Jud Buecheler! "Hey guys! You want my autograph?"

Somehow, my neighbor brought Buecheler's card with him, among the other bulls players, and got it signed.

SouthSideHitman
07-28-2005, 05:09 PM
My most obscure one is a late 80s Cambell's Soup-style cap autographed by the Pope Don Paul.

Wsoxmike59
07-28-2005, 06:12 PM
For obscure Sox autographs, the very first autograph I ever got was from Andy "the clown" Rozdilsky at old Comiskey Park in 1970 at a game vs the Senators. He signed my old White Sox newspaper on the cover that showed Ken Berry robbing another AL player of a HR by going over the CF fence!

My most obscure Sox autograph was in 1989 or '90 I was sitting a few rows behind Mrs. Karko and I got her to sign my program right over Ron's picture. She was a really cute blonde, and she wondered how in world I had recognized her, and I told her that I remembered she was with Ron and their young son at a card show the previous winter, and they stopped and chatted with me for awhile because I was wearing a Sox hat. The one with the Campbell's Soup "C" I called it.

AOEllis
07-29-2005, 09:51 PM
norberto martin, warren newson, and mike devereaux

pasquasroachclip
07-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Jay Loviglio-under the stands at old Comiskey he was signing before a game, in full uniform, along with Harold Baines