PDA

View Full Version : Ground Crew members

groundcrew
07-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Does anyone have any knowledge of members of groundcrews for old Comiskey Park from the late '50's to the early '60's? My father was part of the ground crew then and I was about 3 to 5 years old and went to my first Sox game and got to sit in the box seats over the Sox dugout with my older brother. I was hoping to possibly find an old picture of the complete ground crew if they ever took pictures back then. If anyone knows about the crews, please give me a shout. Dan

ode to veeck
07-25-2005, 06:10 PM
welcome to WSI!

MarySwiss
07-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Have you contacted the Sox? They might be the best source. Good luck!

Vernam
07-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Current chief groundskeeper Roger Bossard's father, Gene, was the head back then and was known for tinkering with the field to suit the players' skills (non-level baselines to keep bunts from going foul, etc.). Unfortunately, he passed away in '98, per http://tinyurl.com/9v6wk. You might find clues regarding your dad's experiences by searching Google for "gene bossard".

I also found this neat article about Roger: http://tinyurl.com/7toas. Good luck!

EDIT: Here's another Roger story with a pic that includes Gene: http://tinyurl.com/9et68.

VC

chisoxfan64
07-25-2005, 07:15 PM
I would try the Chicago Historical Society.

NonetheLoaiza
07-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Very nice article posted. Thanks.

Realist
07-25-2005, 10:04 PM
You might wanna try getting in touch with Roger Bossard. Years ago my brother sold and put a roof on his mom's house and when Mrs. Bossard took him to the basement to write him a check for the work, his eyes got as big as saucers. Her entire basement was done up like a shrine or museum of the history of the White Sox. There was a ton of old pictures too.

When she found out he was a Sox fan she gave him a Frank Thomas autographed baseball and Roger found out how nice my brother was to his mom, he later mailed him some tickets to a Sox game. The Bossards rock!

nasox
07-26-2005, 12:04 PM
You might wanna try getting in touch with Roger Bossard. Years ago my brother sold and put a roof on his mom's house and when Mrs. Bossard took him to the basement to write him a check for the work, his eyes got as big as saucers. Her entire basement was done up like a shrine or museum of the history of the White Sox. There was a ton of old pictures too.

When she found out he was a Sox fan she gave him a Frank Thomas autographed baseball and Roger found out how nice my brother was to his mom, he later mailed him some tickets to a Sox game. The Bossards rock!

Funny, when I first read that it seemed that the Bossards didn't have a rood over their head until your bro came around. I was thinking, jeez, Roger has a Mercedes SL500 but no roof on his mom's house.:tongue:

tacosalbarojas
07-26-2005, 01:52 PM

When she found out he was a Sox fan she gave him a Frank Thomas autographed baseball and Roger found out how nice my brother was to his mom, he later mailed him some tickets to a Sox game. The Bossards rock!Rog seems pretty approachable around the park. Get there early some day and see if you can find him hanging around about the Sox dugout. He might be able to point you in the right direction.

Tekijawa
07-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Funny, when I first read that it seemed that the Bossards didn't have a rood over their head until your bro came around. I was thinking, jeez, Roger has a Mercedes SL500 but no roof on his mom's house.:tongue:

Roger don't do roofs, just the Grass!:D: