PDA

View Full Version : Marte's Attitude

Fred Manrique
07-25-2005, 02:04 PM
There were a few posts in the AJ Burnett threads yesterday about Marte looking as though he wasn't giving full effort or looking smug when he got taken out. What's everyones take on this?

I was driving home from being at the game Saturday and only heard the call on the radio.

maurice
07-25-2005, 02:05 PM
No, he just missed his spots, lost out on a few close pitches, and was understandibly disappointed with his performance. With Hermanson warming, he must have known that he wasn't going to pitch to Manny anyway . . . especially with Ozzie's love of matchups.

ChiSoxBobette
07-25-2005, 02:07 PM
There were a few posts in the AJ Burnett threads yesterday about Marte looking as though he wasn't giving full effort or looking smug when he got taken out. What's everyones take on this?

I was driving home from being at the game Saturday and only heard the call on the radio.

Yesterday late in the game , maybe because of it being so hot, that umpire was terrible!

GoGoSoxReborn
07-25-2005, 02:20 PM
I was at the game as well. I have another question though. In the 3rd inning or so, Marte came jogging in from the bullpen and went to the dugout in between innings. My initial thought was that Kenny got the deal done during the game, and they didn't want to use Marte, but Marte ended up coming in the 9th. Anyone know why Marte was in the dugout instead of the bullpen?

ND_Sox_Fan
07-25-2005, 02:24 PM
I was at the game as well. I have another question though. In the 3rd inning or so, Marte came jogging in from the bullpen and went to the dugout in between innings. My initial thought was that Kenny got the deal done during the game, and they didn't want to use Marte, but Marte ended up coming in the 9th. Anyone know why Marte was in the dugout instead of the bullpen?

He probably just needed to go to the locker room.

I don't think there is an issue there with his attitude either - as said above, he was disappointed that he couldn't get the job done for one reason or another.

nordhagen
07-25-2005, 02:25 PM

Could be he came in to go to the clubhouse for a bit to keep cool - the way he pitched yesterday he should have stayed there.

Unlike Cotts yesterday, who challenged Boston's big boppers and got them out, Marte pitched like he had no nuts. He was nibbling instead of attacking and it nearly cost the Sox the game. It was almost like he wanted someone else to clean up his own mess since when he came out there was no way he could get the loss.

He looked like he did at the end of that Cubs loss at Wrigley last year where he threw ball four with the bases loaded in the dirt. This guy's got the stuff but sometimes you wonder if he's got the stones.

SoxFanTillDeath
07-25-2005, 03:09 PM
I personally don't think he does, which is why he ranks behind cotts and politte on my own personal relief depth chart. He's 4th behind a healthy hermanson, and with the way Vizcaino has been throwing it since the all-star break he may even be 5th.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but the above reasoning is exactly why I wouldn't mind seeing him go. I want Wagner, though, not AJB. Remember Brad Lidge in the playoffs? That's Wagner for the Sox this year. WS, here we come!

(Kenny...DO IT!):bandance:

downstairs
07-25-2005, 03:11 PM
People say he looked smug. I don't know... he always seems to have a smirky smile on his face, I think its just how he looks.

I doubt he has any attitude problems.

CONTROL problems... that's another story...

Mercy!
07-25-2005, 03:31 PM
People say he looked smug. I don't know... he always seems to have a smirky smile on his face, I think its just how he looks.

I doubt he has any attitude problems.

CONTROL problems... that's another story...
Yeah, honestly, what can you say when posters question someone’s manhood, or call him "garbage" or worse, when he’s simply not on top of his game, as happens frequently in discussions here? Most of the time we have little idea what’s going on either physically or psychically with a player.

FWIW, my take on Marte’s expression as he left the mound after walking two batters was something like, "Damn, I blew it."

Rocklive99
07-25-2005, 03:41 PM
I noticed this but didn't post it or mention it. Smug is probably the best description for it, he looked either indifferent or close to a smirk while walking into the dugout, as if he had done a good job, but I usually don't question a player by their looks, I doubt he wanted to get the Sox in trouble intentionally

flo-B-flo
07-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Yeah, honestly, what can you say when posters question someone’s manhood, or call him "garbage" or worse, when he’s simply not on top of his game, as happens frequently in discussions here? Most of the time we have little idea what’s going on either physically or psychically with a player.

FWIW, my take on Marte’s expression as he left the mound after walking two batters was something like, "Damn, I blew it."

Yep, he blew it and he knew it. That's what I got out of the 'smirk' on his face when Ozzie removed him.

SoxRule72
07-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Marte is very frustrating to watch! I don't think he believes in his fastball and when he throws the sweeper 3 times in a row it makes it less effective.

What puzzled me yesterday was he was hitting 88-89 on the gun v Damon and then actually hit 94 later. Why didn't he just go after Damon? I mean Sox had a 3 run lead and chances are if Marte goes straight at Damon he wasn't going to take him deep. Possible sure, but how likely??

His inconsistency is maddening! I was ready to want him to close when he was hitting 95-96 after the break and looking near unhittable, but not it seems he's back to his usual. Afraid to throw strikes........

RedPinStripes
07-25-2005, 04:52 PM
Looks like certain people are preparing for the trade including Marte. Because if you leave here by choice or not, you have to get ripped apart by Sox fans.

the gooch
07-25-2005, 05:30 PM
dont know about a smirk, i saw a full laugh on tv. you dont think ozzie said a joke to him, do you? i know marte wants to win. his first year here he was the only one on the team so show any emotion.