PDA

View Full Version : Check Please! Guest on show rips Wrigleyville/Cub Fans

Hangar18
07-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Not sure if anyone has ever seen this show, but basically they get 3 average people from Chicago area and they all try 3 different restaurants and then talk about the place afterward and compare notes with the shows hostess Alpena Singh (who has the CORNIEST and annoyingly bad one-liners in history)

There was this a Grad Student, and an older gentleman, and a bimbo stripper on the show. Grad student picked a hole in the wall Thai place in Uptown (that ended up having the best food), the older guy picks an american cuisine place in nw burbs that was a former barn, and the Bimbette picks Rawbar in Wrigleyville. They all discuss each others picks, when the Grad Student said he was really WARY of going ot Raw Bar on Clark ST. He mentioned there were too many (hesitates) than says Cub fans, people. The Bimbette laughs and says Awwwwwwwwww, whats wrong with Wrigley Field? Grad Student guy says nothing ......if you like lots of people, same types, drunk, crowded etc. He also said he didnt feel very safe there ..... I was Howling at the fact Cub Fans & Wrigley were getting LIT-UP on TV ......... awesome. Just goes to show you that Its not
the MECCA the Chicago Media would lead you to believe.

SOXintheBURGH
07-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Not sure if anyone has ever seen this show, but basically they get 3 average people from Chicago area and they all try 3 different restaurants and then talk about the place afterward and compare notes with the shows hostess Alpena Singh (who has the CORNIEST and annoyingly bad one-liners in history)

There was this a Grad Student, and an older gentleman, and a bimbo stripper on the show. Grad student picked a hole in the wall Thai place in Uptown (that ended up having the best food), the older guy picks an american cuisine place in nw burbs that was a former barn, and the Bimbette picks Rawbar in Wrigleyville. They all discuss each others picks, when the Grad Student said he was really WARY of going ot Raw Bar on Clark ST. He mentioned there were too many (hesitates) than says Cub fans, people. The Bimbette laughs and says Awwwwwwwwww, whats wrong with Wrigley Field? Grad Student guy says nothing ......if you like lots of people, same types, drunk, crowded etc. He also said he didnt feel very safe there ..... I was Howling at the fact Cub Fans & Wrigley were getting LIT-UP on TV ......... awesome. Just goes to show you that Its not

LOL.. What show is this? Never heard of it..

maurice
07-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Henry, I guess you didn't believe her when she said she was a "Middle Eastern dancer." :wink:

LOL.. What show is this? Never heard of it..

"Check Please" is the name of the show. It's on PBS / Channel 11 in Chicago.

Brian26
07-25-2005, 02:49 PM
and a bimbo stripper

Really, is there any other kind of stripper?:D:

cheeses_h_rice
07-25-2005, 02:55 PM
I love "Check Please." The hostess is great -- she's also the sommelier at Everest, so she knows of what she speaks.

Henry, was the NW suburbs place (the former barn) called the Anvil Club?

UofCSoxFan
07-25-2005, 03:02 PM

Actually, my freshman year at U of C a girl in my dorm worked two nights a week at the Admiral. She was hardly a bimbo...(though hardly classy either)...but yes she was the exception to the rule.

...the "barn place" was somewhere in Barrington.

cheeses_h_rice
07-25-2005, 03:06 PM

Ah, OK. I know where that place is. It looks like....an enormous, converted barn.

:redface:

DaleJRFan
07-25-2005, 03:09 PM

Not to turn this into Roadhouse material, but I once met a stripper who was in school to be a cop... was working as a stripper to pay for school. She actually had a brain and could carry a conversation... quite amazing...

But, yes, they are ALL bimbos.

I hate the Cubs and their fans as much as anyone, but how any person could feel unsafe in Wrigleyville is beyond me. I have a lot of friends who live in that neighborhood solely based on the fact that it is a safe neighborhood. Sure, the team sucks, the fans are sheep and the park is a complete dump, but the surrounding neighborhood is actually quite nice.

The barn place, I know exactly where it is... right off of Barrington Road and 90 in (I believe) Hoffman Estates... across the street from the AMC30. I have eaten there many times, it is pretty good.

The best "barn food" type place i s a joint in West Chicago (I think) on Kirk Road and Fabian Parkway kinda near Roosevelt. Best fish n chips around... has a cool bar with peanut shells all over the place..

34 Inch Stick
07-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Actually, my freshman year at U of C a girl in my dorm worked two nights a week at the Admiral. She was hardly a bimbo...(though hardly classy either)...but yes she was the exception to the rule.

You don't know what you are talking about. Every time I have gone to a strip club I have met a girl who is working her way through med school.

daveeym
07-25-2005, 03:35 PM
You don't know what you are talking about. Every time I have gone to a strip club I have met a girl who is working her way through med school. And at bars I'm a fighter pilot, so what's your point?

Hangar18
07-25-2005, 03:39 PM

OK, what I was getting at with the the "Bimbo" remark, was that the
she seemed upset at the Grad Students remarks, when he ripped on Cub Fans and Wrigley, implying very strongly that she was probably a Fan of the Blue Corporation .....

UofCSoxFan
07-25-2005, 03:40 PM
You don't know what you are talking about. Every time I have gone to a strip club I have met a girl who is working her way through med school.

Yeah I probably don't...not a frequent patron at these establishments...although If I was I probably wouldn't be interested in learning their life's ambitions.

:o:

mr_genius
07-25-2005, 03:41 PM
And at bars I'm a fighter pilot, so what's your point?

hahaha, nice one

JackParkman
07-25-2005, 03:46 PM
The barn place, I know exactly where it is... right off of Barrington Road and 90 in (I believe) Hoffman Estates... across the street from the AMC30. I have eaten there many times, it is pretty good.

There's a restaurant in Barrington called The Barn. The place across from the theaters is called The Millrose.
Sincerely,
James Ward

Tom~Attitude
07-25-2005, 03:48 PM
amazing...

The best "barn food" type place i s a joint in West Chicago (I think) on Kirk Road and Fabian Parkway kinda near Roosevelt. Best fish n chips around... has a cool bar with peanut shells all over the place..

That place on Fabyan and Kirk is The Country House. They have other locations in Lisle and Clarendon Hills. Been a long time customer. All the food is great. I really like the Garlic Burger that Geneva occasionally has on the specials menu.

Hangar18
07-25-2005, 03:49 PM
I hate the Cubs and their fans as much as anyone, but how any person could feel unsafe in Wrigleyville is beyond me. I have a lot of friends who live in that neighborhood solely based on the fact that it is a safe neighborhood. Sure, the team sucks, the fans are sheep and the park is a complete dump, but the surrounding neighborhood is actually quite nice.

Actually, the Wrigleyville neighborhood is Quite Dangerous, as proven by numerous threads and statistics. Walk thru Wrigleyville, youve got a good chance of being pick-pocketed, armed robberied, etc. If you live there,
good chance youve been burglarized or had your car broken into. Heck, a guy was shot and killed in cold blood right in front of The Urinal after a game
recently.

kittle42
07-25-2005, 03:49 PM
I have a lot of friends who live in that neighborhood solely based on the fact that it is a safe neighborhood. Sure, the team sucks, the fans are sheep and the park is a complete dump, but the surrounding neighborhood is actually quite nice.

I pretty much think the same way, except that my sister just got mugged at freakin' 4:00 in the afternoon on her way from the train station during a Cubs game (so you know the neighborhood was busy).

mr_genius
07-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Actually, the Wrigleyville neighborhood is Quite Dangerous, as proven by numerous threads and statistics. Walk thru Wrigleyville, youve got a good chance of being pick-pocketed, armed robberied, etc. If you live there,
good chance youve been burglarized or had your car broken into. Heck, a guy was shot and killed in cold blood right in front of The Urinal after a game
recently.

don't forget about the serial rapists roaming the neighborhood

Risk
07-25-2005, 03:54 PM
There's a restaurant in Barrington called The Barn. The place across from the theaters is called The Millrose.
Sincerely,
James Ward

My law office is located next door (actually two buildings down) from Millrose Restaurant. Just a bit of useless information for people to chew on.

Risk

ilsox7
07-25-2005, 03:54 PM
There is crime everywhere people. Wrigleyville, overall, is a pretty safe neighborhood. And I don't even like the area, but it isn't more dangerous than most places in a city would be.

Brian26
07-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Sincerely,
James Ward

I've actually eaten at the Millrose on a Saturday for lunch and thought it was fairly decent. It's not a fancy place by any means, but they seemed to have good soup and sandwiches.

Risk
07-25-2005, 03:59 PM
There is crime everywhere people. Wrigleyville, overall, is a pretty safe neighborhood. And I don't even like the area, but it isn't more dangerous than most places in a city would be.

True. Every neighborhood has crime. However, the Cubune and the rest of the Chicago media are also responsible for instilling the notion that 1) the area around the Cell is a dangerous, crime ridden ghetto; and 2)Wrigleyville is the cutest, most pristine and safe area in all of Chicago. Unfortunately, for a lot of people (especially a lot of "suckers" from the NW burbs), perception is reality, no matter how untrue it is.

Risk

Risk
07-25-2005, 04:01 PM
I've actually eaten at the Millrose on a Saturday for lunch and thought it was fairly decent. It's not a fancy place by any means, but they seemed to have good soup and sandwiches.

The beers there are actually really good too.:D:

Risk

TaylorStSox
07-25-2005, 04:11 PM
recently.

Now, this is just stupid. Give me all the statistics you want. Lakeview is a safe neighborhood. Bridgeport's a safe neighborhood too.

If you want to fight the "evil corporation," don't use their tactics. Sensationalism is only good for tabloids.

TaylorStSox
07-25-2005, 04:12 PM
People are scared of the south side because of urban legends and racism. It's not the Trib's doing. People from the burbs have thought that way for a long, long time.

VA_GoGoSox
07-25-2005, 04:12 PM

I tend to meet alot of community college students who plan on going to vet school because they love animals. :D:

Talking to the strippers is almost as entertaining as watching them dance.

ilsox7
07-25-2005, 04:17 PM
People are scared of the south side because of urban legends and racism. It's not the Trib's doing. People from the burbs have thought that way for a long, long time.

Exactly. Believe it or not, the Tribune did not start the myth and honestly doesn't have much to do with it.

Hangar18
07-25-2005, 04:20 PM
Now, this is just stupid. Give me all the statistics you want. Lakeview is a safe neighborhood. Bridgeport's a safe neighborhood too.

Well, the grad student didnt seem to think that .............

itsnotrequired
07-25-2005, 04:23 PM

If you want to fight the "evil corporation," don't use their tactics. Sensationalism is only good for tabloids.

For what its worth, might as well throw the latest crime statistics out there.

Between July 5 and July 18, 41 crimes were reported within a 1/2 mile radius of Wrigley. Of these 41 crimes, 13 were person and 28 were property. 4 home games took place in this timeframe.

Using the same dates and radius around The Cell, there were 24 crimes reported, 10 of which were person and 14 which were property. 6 home games took place in that time frame.

For the games in question, Cubs had 157,595 visitors and Sox had 189,046.

TaylorStSox
07-25-2005, 04:27 PM
For what its worth, might as well throw the latest crime statistics out there.

Between July 5 and July 18, 41 crimes were reported within a 1/2 mile radius of Wrigley. Of these 41 crimes, 13 were person and 28 were property. 4 home games took place in this timeframe.

Using the same dates and radius around The Cell, there were 24 crimes reported, 10 of which were person and 14 which were property. 6 home games took place in that time frame.

For the games in question, Cubs had 157,595 visitors and Sox had 189,046.

These statistics are meaningless when you consider population density. Also, Lakeview is full of bars. Of course, there's going to be crime around busy bars during the weekend. Drunk people like to fight and break stuff. Does that mean it's dangerous for the average person? No. It means it's dangerous to pick a fight at a bar.

itsnotrequired
07-25-2005, 04:30 PM
These statistics are meaningless when you consider population density. Also, Lakeview is full of bars. Of course, there's going to be crime around busy bars during the weekend. Drunk people like to fight and break stuff. Does that mean it's dangerous for the average person? No. It means it's dangerous to pick a fight at a bar.

Yes, there is many factors at play here, population density being just one. Use the statistics as you see fit. I posted them more to play down the myth that there is more crime around The Cell than around Wrigley.

FYI, I live on Addison about a mile west of Wrigley. I would hardly call Lakeview "dangerous" but on game days, some of the drunks can be intimidating especially to someone like me who doesn't look and/or act like them.

ilsox7
07-25-2005, 04:31 PM

Yep and let's be honest, 2 or 3 minor crimes a day (which is what each place averages) is pretty safe. And likfe you said, population density and the amount of bars in Lakeview make it more likely to have more minor crimes. Both areas are safe. The South Side gets a worse rep b/c of history and prejudice. Not the Tribune.

Brian26
07-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Wow, this might be the most all-encompassing thread of all time: from food reviews on Check Please, to stripper talk, to crime statistics.

TaylorStSox
07-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Wow, this might be the most all-encompassing thread of all time: from food reviews on Check Please, to stripper talk, to crime statistics.

We aim to please. :redneck

I'll be giving a poker strategy seminar later.

ilsox7
07-25-2005, 04:37 PM
We aim to please. :redneck

I'll be giving a poker strategy seminar later.

If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker.

mr_genius
07-25-2005, 04:44 PM

hmmm, i would consider a neighborhood full of drunks fighting and breaking property to be fairly unsavory

TaylorStSox
07-25-2005, 04:45 PM
hmmm, i would consider a neighborhood full of drunks fighting and breaking property to be fairly unsavory

Unsavory? Yes. Dangerous? No.

mr_genius
07-25-2005, 04:47 PM

i agree. boystown/wrigleyville is hardly a dangerous neighborhood... somewhere i would never live? yes. dangerous as compared to the rest of the city? no

DSpivack
07-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Alpana Singh does a pretty good job as the moderator of Check, Please!, a lot better than Amanda Puck, the first host, did. Plus, Singh looks a lot better, and is much more knowledgable about food and, quite obviously, wine.

Yay for comma splices and run-on sentences.

Vernam
07-25-2005, 04:59 PM
That place on Fabyan and Kirk is The Country House. They have other locations in Lisle and Clarendon Hills. Been a long time customer. All the food is great. I really like the Garlic Burger that Geneva occasionally has on the specials menu.Where's the Lisle location? That's news to me . . . The one in Clarendon Hills is supposedly haunted, not that I believe in such. Anyway, you're so right about the burgers.

VC

chisoxfanatic
07-25-2005, 05:05 PM

Considering what drunks are known to do, I WOULD consider Wrigleyville to be a dangerous neighborhood...

Tom~Attitude
07-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Where's the Lisle location? That's news to me . . . The one in Clarendon Hills is supposedly haunted, not that I believe in such. Anyway, you're so right about the burgers.

VC

It's 6460 College Road. In a strip mall on the west side of the road about halfway between Hobson Rd. and Maple Av. It's next to a bicycle shop and does not look like much from the outside. Inside it is comparable to the other two places...Big bar with a fireplace too.

Mr. White Sox
07-25-2005, 05:16 PM
What was the name of the Thai place?

davenicholson
07-25-2005, 05:30 PM
That place on Fabyan and Kirk is The Country House. They have other locations in Lisle and Clarendon Hills. Been a long time customer. All the food is great. I really like the Garlic Burger that Geneva occasionally has on the specials menu.
Mmmmmmmm, buffalo burger!

Tom~Attitude
07-25-2005, 05:35 PM
What was the name of the Thai place?

Siam Noodle

Type of Cuisine:ThaiAddress4654 N. Sheridan Road
ChicagoPhone773-769-6694OpenOpen for lunch and dinner Tuesday through SundayAverage dinner tab$10 per personReservationsReservations are acceptedCredit CardsMost major credit cards are accepted
What our reviewers saidJeffrey recommends it and says the homemade food rocks his world.
Sonya rode up on her motorcycle and found it perfect for lunch, but too casual for dinner.
Bill thinks we need more restaurants like this and will go back for the chili sauce.

robertks61
07-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Drunk people like to fight and break stuff.

Yea, like Minnie Minoso statues on the south side!

maurice
07-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Considering what drunks are known to do, I WOULD consider Wrigleyville to be a dangerous neighborhood...

Like leaving the bar, getting into a fight, and shooting somebody (the Urinal shooting case).
Or calling a cab, getting into a fight with the cab driver, and running him over with the cab (another actual Boystown murder case in the past year).

It's actually far more dangerous to be the drunk, especially if you get behind the wheel of a car (though that's also dangerous to innocent bystanders) or walk home alone from the bar at 2 a.m. because somebody told you it's a safe neighborhood (the setup for many or most of the Wrigleyville serial rapes).

PatK
07-26-2005, 10:56 AM
These statistics are meaningless when you consider population density.

It's been well documented that Cubs fans are awefully dense.

TornLabrum
07-26-2005, 10:58 AM
It's been well documented that Cubs fans are awefully dense.

The densest known element is Osmium. As it turns out, Cubs fans have a density 9.37 times greater than that.

nasox
07-26-2005, 11:37 AM

I like this show, not for the somewhat decent reviews of the restaurants (these people don't have much culinary experience) but for the really good shots of food and people making food put to upbeat jazz combo music. That is really funny. And Alpena Singh is a pretty bad host.

The shows on WTTW. Public TV once again has no bias.

Letmehearya
07-26-2005, 09:41 PM
I don't have an issue with Bimbos at the Cell; so long as they're our bimbos.

peeonwrigley
07-26-2005, 11:21 PM
In Wrigleyville (most) people drinking will drink at bars before and after the game. At the Cell (most) people tailgate, drink during the game, and then for the most part go on their merry way home.

I would hope most people driving home from either park would exercise caution, but I would imagine both teams have their share of potential post game drunk drivers.

The major difference is that 2 hours after last pitch, the drunks have for the most part dispersed from Bridgeport. In Wrigleyville they either stick around the neighborhood and keep drinking or venture the mile south to Lincoln Park to piss me off. I'd imagine these people cause many of the crimes up there.

CLR01
07-27-2005, 04:55 AM
My law office is located next door (actually two buildings down) from Millrose Restaurant. Just a bit of useless information for people to chew on.

Risk

:rolleyes:

CLR01
07-27-2005, 04:55 AM
The beers there are actually really good too.:D:

Risk

They serve food there? :o:

DumpJerry
07-27-2005, 08:23 AM
I'm wondering if the grad student is a WSIer. That would be too sweet, getting the Sox Army Party Line on television!:supernana: