PDA

View Full Version : Lotsa Wild Card Possibilities

downstairs
07-25-2005, 01:16 PM
I didn't look it up, but I can't remember a time when this many teams were in some sort of race this late in the season.

Including division leaders, there are 11 of 14 AL teams and 11 of 16 NL teams at least less than 8 games out of a spot. That's 22 of 30.

I guess the drawback to the Wild Card (which I essentially like) is that tons of teams can be under .500 in August and still be "in it."

The problem is... there are now so few sellers and so many buyers...

Arkham
07-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Hey, I'm not complaining. If Detroit and Cleveland think they're still in contention for a playoff spot, and that keeps them from looking to the future like they should be doing, I'm all for it.

SABRSox
07-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Hey, I'm not complaining. If Detroit and Cleveland think they're still in contention for a playoff spot, and that keeps them from looking to the future like they should be doing, I'm all for it.

Dave Dombrowksi won't make any moves that jeopardizes the Tiger's future. He has to know now that he's getting very close to contention. A starting pitcher or two away. Cleveland, I think they're playing like they're already out of it.

Then again, if Dombrowski wants to trade us Chris Shelton...

slobes
07-25-2005, 10:48 PM
What is Oakland doing leading the wild card?!?!? :(:

Arkham
07-25-2005, 11:21 PM

Giving us something to angst over despite being a million games or so ahead in the division.

Fredsox
07-26-2005, 06:56 AM

I'll probably regret saying this, but I think the Twinkies are hoisting the white flag. They just don't seem to want it or don't think they can do it this year. That opens the door for the A's and whoever is 2nd in the east.

Madvora
07-26-2005, 08:52 AM
I'll probably regret saying this, but I think the Twinkies are hoisting the white flag. They just don't seem to want it or don't think they can do it this year. That opens the door for the A's and whoever is 2nd in the east.
What a conflict of interests. Well, I guess not so much because of the size of our lead, but I don't want the Twins to keep winning games. It seems like Toronto has been in the same position all year. They're 4.5 out of the division lead and 4.5 out of the wild card! And they're only at .500. Who knows about Cleveland and Detroit, but you've gotta put your hopes in Baltimore and New York.