PDA

View Full Version : Want to make your blood boil?

ChiSoxPatF
07-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Just read Tony Massarotti's article:

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=95142

I think the Cubune just offered him a job.

TornLabrum
07-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Just read Tony Massarotti's article:

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=95142

I think the Cubune just offered him a job.

Um...There is already a thread about this in What's the Score: Read this Sawx trash (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54829)

RKMeibalane
07-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Considering that Kevin Millar's job is in jeopardy, I don't think he has any room to talk about a future HOF'er, and two All-Star calliber players hitting for low averages. Beyond that, there's nothing in the article that bothers me. The media are like sheep. They go wherever the sheapard leads, oblivious to what's really happening.

mdep524
07-25-2005, 10:27 AM
:rolling:

Oh my goodness, I can't believe there are actually people that think so superficially. That is an embarrassment to the paper that published it.

(And they talk about Hawk being too much of a homer? :rolleyes: )

Hangar18
07-25-2005, 10:39 AM
The only thing that makes sense in that piece, was his assessment that
"Chicago does not have one truly fearsome hitter in their lineup". Im sure
hes talking about a certain Paul Konerko....... and I tend to think hes right.
Paulie certainly doesnt strike the same fear with bases loaded as a
Manny Ramirez does, which is what im thinking what he was alluding to.

Sxy Mofo
07-25-2005, 10:44 AM
(And they talk about Hawk being too much of a homer? :rolleyes: )

It's like hawk said. The sox have better starting pitching, better relief pitching, better speed, more home runs, better defense...

The only thing the blow sox have ahead of our sox is a better batting average. I wonder what the tone of the article would've been if our sox wouldn't have just handed them two games.

ChiSoxPatF
07-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Um...There is already a thread about this in What's the Score: Read this Sawx trash (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54829)

Sorry, my bad.

balke
07-25-2005, 11:16 AM
The only thing that makes sense in that piece, was his assessment that
"Chicago does not have one truly fearsome hitter in their lineup". Im sure
hes talking about a certain Paul Konerko....... and I tend to think hes right.
Paulie certainly doesnt strike the same fear with bases loaded as a
Manny Ramirez does, which is what im thinking what he was alluding to.

One player does not make a team. Its kinda refreshing not having to rely solely on Frank or Maggs to get the job done late in the game. We have overall good hitters that don't abuse short fences or green monsters to inflate stats.

StillMissOzzie
07-25-2005, 11:49 AM
IMHO, the funny part is that this writer talks as if the BoSox are a lock for post-season play, when they meet again. Not that the real Sox are a lock (yet), but you've gotta get there first, and I like the Sox' chances more than I like Boston's. Besides the tough talk from the Boston locker room, they've gotta know that they were lucky not to lose 3 out of 4 here. Whistling through the graveyard, methinks...

SMO
:gulp:

AnthonyGiacalone
07-25-2005, 12:37 PM
We have overall good hitters that don't abuse short fences or green monsters to inflate stats.

What the hell are you talking about? Comiskey Park is one of the two best offensive parks in the American League. More homers have been hit in Comiskey over the last three years than at Coors. I'm glad you are loyal and all but, please, check a fact or two.

AnthonyGiacalone
07-25-2005, 12:48 PM
It's like hawk said. The sox have better starting pitching, better relief pitching, better speed, more home runs, better defense... The only thing the blow sox have ahead of our sox is a better batting average
First problem, you are quoting Harrelson. Second problem, you are agreeing with him.

If, as you suggest, the Chisox are a better offensive team than Boston then why do the Bosox have 70 more runs scored? Hmmm, what could it be? It might be the 19 points of batting average? Or maybe it's the 35 points of On Base Percentage!!!! Boston is first in OBP and the Sox are 12th in the AL. This is something that KW and Ozzie don't care about and it shows.

And frankly the Sox are not nearly as close to Boston offensive ability as these lopsided stats indicate. Why? Because the Comiskey is a rediculously hitter friendly environment. On the road, Boston has the most runs scored of any team in the AL. The Sox are last. Last! Now, admittedly the Sox have played a few less road games than the other team so let's say that their offense is not the worst but roughly on par with, oh, I don't know, Tampa Bay's.

The White Sox are in first place because their pitching has been fantastic, their defense very good, because they've hit much better with runners on base than in other situations and because they've beaten the snot out of 7 of the worst 8 teams in baseball, while playing .500 against everyone else.

They are a good team. Enjoy it. But don't overdose on the Kool Aid.

balke
07-25-2005, 12:49 PM
We have overall good hitters that don't abuse short fences or green monsters to inflate stats.

What the hell are you talking about? Comiskey Park is one of the two best offensive parks in the American League. More homers have been hit in Comiskey over the last three years than at Coors. I'm glad you are loyal and all but, please, check a fact or two.

A lineup of Frank, Maggs, Carlos Lee, Konerko, Valentin etc. helped in that as well. I realize Paulie tears it up at home too, so you're right. I still like not relying on 2-3 power hitters to do all our damage.

I actually thought complete opposite about Manny and Ortiz then what is true, they do about the same on the Road as at Home. Ortiz is better on the road. I'm just a little miffed at Boston, they're fans have been on my nerves all week. Its like that episode of Family Guy where all the New Yorkers visit QUahog so see the leafs turn color.

Damon
Varitek
Ortiz
Manny

They are all unbelievable hitters. But the Bosox can't slug their way to the playoffs, they need Schilling fully healthy. Even if they make it, there will be no repeat without Pedro.

Buehrle v. Schilling
Garland v. Clement
Garcia v. Wells
Contreras/burnett v. Miller

I like our chances in a series. Don't even get me started on their bullpen/speed/defense.

Sxy Mofo
07-25-2005, 01:07 PM
It's like hawk said. The sox have better starting pitching, better relief pitching, better speed, more home runs, better defense... The only thing the blow sox have ahead of our sox is a better batting average
First problem, you are quoting Harrelson. Second problem, you are agreeing with him.

If, as you suggest, the Chisox are a better offensive team than Boston then why do the Bosox have 70 more runs scored? Hmmm, what could it be? It might be the 19 points of batting average? Or maybe it's the 35 points of On Base Percentage!!!! Boston is first in OBP and the Sox are 12th in the AL. This is something that KW and Ozzie don't care about and it shows.

And frankly the Sox are not nearly as close to Boston offensive ability as these lopsided stats indicate. Why? Because the Comiskey is a rediculously hitter friendly environment. On the road, Boston has the most runs scored of any team in the AL. The Sox are last. Last! Now, admittedly the Sox have played a few less road games than the other team so let's say that their offense is not the worst but roughly on par with, oh, I don't know, Tampa Bay's.

The White Sox are in first place because their pitching has been fantastic, their defense very good, because they've hit much better with runners on base than in other situations and because they've beaten the snot out of 7 of the worst 8 teams in baseball, while playing .500 against everyone else.

They are a good team. Enjoy it. But don't overdose on the Kool Aid.

You need to read what i wrote. I said it my post that boston has a higher team BA. But everything i said and hawk said, was true. The sox have better defense, pitching, bullpen, speed and home runs. These are not made up facts.

Apparently by my post you think I mean that the sox are an offensive jauggernaut. I'm not sure where you came to that conclustion. The sox are winning by all of the facts listed above.

And by the way, you're not endearing yourself to anyone by your first couple of posts. And hawk rules.

Iwritecode
07-25-2005, 01:21 PM
The sox have better defense, pitching, bullpen, speed and home runs.

Obviously you MEANT to say that the Sox have a better offense though.

Sometimes I wonder if taking a short quiz before being allowed to post on here is really a good idea... :kukoo:

BTW, the Sox may not score as many runs, but they have better clutch hitting than Boston. How many runners did they leave on base this past series? :D:

Sxy Mofo
07-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Obviously you MEANT to say that the Sox have a better offense though.

Sometimes I wonder if taking a short quiz before being allowed to post on here is really a good idea... :kukoo:

BTW, the Sox may not score as many runs, but they have better clutch hitting than Boston. How many runners did they leave on base this past series? :D:

It's like the guy read it, bolded it, wanted to "prove me wrong"... and had ABSOLUTELY no idea what I even said.

fquaye149
07-25-2005, 01:26 PM

Although that could be a result of our straight-filthy dog, gettin' down with they bad self pitching. Booyah!

BedfordChisox
07-25-2005, 01:55 PM
That article did make my blood boil...

Is it just me, or did Millar, in his attempt to minimize the WSox's offense, actually mention three guys as potential offensive threats, two of which didn't even play in the damn series (Thomas and Dye)?? Under the circumstances, that's some pretty tough talk. While I am not under the illusion that our offense is as potent as Boston's, when two of our most dangerous hitters are out of the line-up for the entire series, and you still only garner a split, you should keep your mouths shut and be happy to get out of town. Boston is a very mediocre team - possibly even a poor team - if you take two of their top 3 hitters out of their lineup (and, no, before I get hammered, I'm not trying to draw comparisons between Thomas/Dye/Konerko to Ramirez/Ortiz/Damon - I'm just trying to make a point).

In the comments sections attached to the article, someone makes a very salient case for the quality of the AL Central. There's another argument: Look at the overall records of the teams in the AL Central. I believe that only one other division in baseball (NL East) has a better overall record. Since, by definition, the overall record intradivisionally is .500 (one team wins... one team loses... I warned you that this was high math), the "mediocre" AL Central must be doing pretty damn well against everybody else (+16). The overall record of the mighty AL East is under .500 (-9). Of course, our Boston based media type will point out that Tampa drags them down, without mentioning that Tampa and KC practically have the same records.

Yes, this does get my blood boiling... but you know what? The elite eastern media is starting to take note of what is happening on the South Side. They can disparage it all they want, but they can no longer ignore it.

GoGoSoxReborn
07-25-2005, 02:26 PM
http://latinobaseball.com/ima/biography/pedromtz2.jpg

"Who is Kevin Millar?"

mr_genius
07-25-2005, 02:37 PM
well that guy must really hate the Boston Red Cubs, they couldn't even take 3 of 4 from the pathetic White Sox

scottjanssens
07-25-2005, 02:43 PM
but you know what? The elite eastern media is starting to take note of what is happening on the South Side. They can disparage it all they want, but they can no longer ignore it.

Quote of the day.

fquaye149
07-25-2005, 03:00 PM
That article did make my blood boil...

Is it just me, or did Millar, in his attempt to minimize the WSox's offense, actually mention three guys as potential offensive threats, two of which didn't even play in the damn series (Thomas and Dye)?? Under the circumstances, that's some pretty tough talk. While I am not under the illusion that our offense is as potent as Boston's, when two of our most dangerous hitters are out of the line-up for the entire series, and you still only garner a split, you should keep your mouths shut and be happy to get out of town. Boston is a very mediocre team - possibly even a poor team - if you take two of their top 3 hitters out of their lineup (and, no, before I get hammered, I'm not trying to draw comparisons between Thomas/Dye/Konerko to Ramirez/Ortiz/Damon - I'm just trying to make a point).

In the comments sections attached to the article, someone makes a very salient case for the quality of the AL Central. There's another argument: Look at the overall records of the teams in the AL Central. I believe that only one other division in baseball (NL East) has a better overall record. Since, by definition, the overall record intradivisionally is .500 (one team wins... one team loses... I warned you that this was high math), the "mediocre" AL Central must be doing pretty damn well against everybody else (+16). The overall record of the mighty AL East is under .500 (-9). Of course, our Boston based media type will point out that Tampa drags them down, without mentioning that Tampa and KC practically have the same records.

Yes, this does get my blood boiling... but you know what? The elite eastern media is starting to take note of what is happening on the South Side. They can disparage it all they want, but they can no longer ignore it.

Wait guy Don't You REMEMBER this Equation
That the FACT is That
good hitting + good pitching>soso hitting + good pitching
Therefore the SOX are a Worse TEAM than the RED sox
BECAUSE Reinsdorf is SO cheap.

BedfordChisox
07-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Wait guy Don't You REMEMBER this Equation
That the FACT is That
good hitting + good pitching>soso hitting + good pitching
Therefore the SOX are a Worse TEAM than the RED sox
BECAUSE Reinsdorf is SO cheap.

Fquaye, me thinks you're hammering me for a previous tete-a-tete between the two of us. But I think your memory is fading... I quoted the baseball axiom that "Good pitching beats good hitting" in response to you telling me that our starting pitching was the reason we were so successful, and you did so after I had the audacity to suggest that maybe Konerko, as much as you hate him, might have played a tiny role in our success. Also, where in anything have I written that I think Boston has good pitching? That was true last year with Pedro, Schilling and an effective Keith Foulke. That's not the case this year. Boston's pitching pretty is pretty much "so-so". That being the case, wouldn't our mathematical equation yield:
soso hitting + good pitching > good hitting + soso pitching
Also, unless you can show me the quote, I've never gone off on Reinsdorf, whether he deserves it or not.

mr_genius
07-25-2005, 03:17 PM
I've never gone off on Reinsdorf, whether he deserves it or not.

doesn't matter, this kid is probably talking nonsense (as usual).

fquaye149
07-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Fquaye, me thinks you're hammering me for a previous tete-a-tete between the two of us. But I think your memory is fading... I quoted the baseball axiom that "Good pitching beats good hitting" in response to you telling me that our starting pitching was the reason we were so successful, and you did so after I had the audacity to suggest that maybe Konerko, as much as you hate him, might have played a tiny role in our success. Also, where in anything have I written that I think Boston has good pitching? That was true last year with Pedro, Schilling and an effective Keith Foulke. That's not the case this year. Boston's pitching pretty is pretty much "so-so". That being the case, wouldn't our mathematical equation yield:
soso hitting + good pitching > good hitting + soso pitching
Also, unless you can show me the quote, I've never gone off on Reinsdorf, whether he deserves it or not.

lol...nah, i'm poking fun at a certain other poster and his insistence that Boston's pitching is equal to ours and how he harps that very equation (good+good>soso+good)

I ought to have put it in teal...sigh

fquaye149
07-25-2005, 03:18 PM
doesn't matter, this kid is probably talking nonsense (as usual). you're welcome to mind your own business. come back when you have any idea what you're talking about.

MrRoboto83
07-25-2005, 03:24 PM
I think the article was funny. We are flying under the Radar still.

MIgrenade
07-25-2005, 03:35 PM
For such a short article I'm surprised it could be so crappy. I only got to watch the first game but from what I hear the bullpen was bad. That is not normal. If the Sox aren't any good then why didn't the Red Sox sweep. Because they have no pitching at all perhaps?

Remember he is in Boston, I am sure there is some article around here that says Boston isn't good.

A_ROW33
07-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Remember he is in Boston, I am sure there is some article around here that says Boston isn't good.

Do you have a clue what the media in Chicago is like?

seanpmurphy
07-25-2005, 05:44 PM

:dtroll:

TornLabrum
07-25-2005, 05:45 PM
For such a short article I'm surprised it could be so crappy. I only got to watch the first game but from what I hear the bullpen was bad. That is not normal. If the Sox aren't any good then why didn't the Red Sox sweep. Because they have no pitching at all perhaps?

And you are wrong.

Hendu
07-25-2005, 05:49 PM
"And based on the games of the last four days, there is little reason for any of us to change our minds."

I don't get this. The BlowSox are the team that barely has a lead in their division and they need every win they can get just to hold off the Yankees, Orioles and Jays so they can make the playoffs. We're the team that has a comfortable lead in our division and barring a collapse will easily make it to the post-season. Therefore, the split hurts them much more than it hurts us.

If these people aren't impressed with the Sox after this series, I can only say that the feeling is mutual. The BlowSox needed to win this series and ended up getting a split only because we gave them the first game.