PDA

View Full Version : Hawk on the Red Sox

DrGiggles
07-24-2005, 02:16 PM
I have been really annoyed with Hawk the last couple days, he should just be the Red Sox announcer for all I care. Every time Ramirez and Ortiz has been up all he talks about is them and about how they're the best 1-2 punch he's ever seen and always talking about Ramirez's $20 million salary and how good he plays. I think its awful how much he talks about them all the time and how good they are, he's obsessed with them and very annoying how many times he has repeated himself about their salary and efforts. What do you guys think?

Craig Grebeck
07-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Did DJ actually make the comparison of ortiz/ramirez to franco/thomas?:?:

soltrain21
07-24-2005, 02:29 PM
For as much as he tries to build up Willie Harris, I think his talk about the Red Sox is justified.

DrGiggles
07-24-2005, 02:38 PM
DJ did make that comparison once, but all Hawk talks about with the Red Sox in town is Ramirez's $20 million salary and him and Ortiz, it doesn't annoy you guys at all.

putherawaywet
07-24-2005, 02:38 PM
Hey Dr. Giggles, I have a news flash - Ortiz and Ramirez are awesome. Hawk's admiration is justified. He's enough of a homer - you're somehow annoyed the few times he tells it like it is? what's annoying is the fact that they're putting our pitching away wet.

DrGiggles
07-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Fine it was just my opinion. I know they are awesome, but it annoys me how much he brings up the stuff about them. It may be justified, I was just expressing my opinion and asking your guys.

downstairs
07-24-2005, 02:40 PM
I believe they are the defending world champs, and are in line for another playoff appearance.

They're a great team.

What do you want him to say?

Chips
07-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Did DJ actually make the comparison of ortiz/ramirez to franco/thomas?:?:

He did, DJ isn't always the smartest analyst. But the Ortiz/Ramirez combo is perhaps the best in the baseball, they have been kicking the **** out of our pitching staff the whole series. Hawk knows good ballplayers when he sees them. Hopefully, JC can shut them down the rest of the day.

The Dude
07-24-2005, 02:43 PM
I have been really annoyed with Hawk the last couple days, he should just be the Red Sox announcer for all I care. Every time Ramirez and Ortiz has been up all he talks about is them and about how they're the best 1-2 punch he's ever seen and always talking about Ramirez's $20 million salary and how good he plays. I think its awful how much he talks about them all the time and how good they are, he's obsessed with them and very annoying how many times he has repeated himself about their salary and efforts. What do you guys think?

I think he is dead on with the praise. As much as I cant stand them or the Blow Sox, you have to admit how dominating that 1-2 punch is. Should hawk lie and say, these guys are overrated and getting lucky all these years?? Hawk and DJ are the biggest homers in the league so this is not really an issue.
Saying that hawk should be the Red Sox announcer, give me a break!

soltrain21
07-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Hawk knows good ballplayers when he sees them.

No, he doesn't. Anybody who knows remotely anything about baseball should know that Manny and Ortiz are great players. What gets me is when Hawk is constantly trying to sell us on Willie Harris or players like him.

It is as annoying as him saying "he just missed it."

putherawaywet
07-24-2005, 03:01 PM
No, he doesn't. Anybody who knows remotely anything about baseball should know that Manny and Ortiz are great players. What gets me is when Hawk is constantly trying to sell us on Willie Harris or players like him.

It is as annoying as him saying "he just missed it."

You are right on soltrain21 - another thing I find unbearable is the constant butt licking of Joey Cora. It's clear to me that Joey's a huge problem. Even earlier this game - he got lucky that the ball bounced away from Ramirez. The split screen showed that if the ball doesn't bounce that way - Everett makes the first out at the plate. Even if he held him, he would've gotten home after the bounce.

DrGiggles
07-24-2005, 03:02 PM
I think Joey is one of the best 3rd base coaches in the league, he's always been good for us, so I don't know where that came from. His eyes are good and working well with us.

Daver
07-24-2005, 03:04 PM
I think Joey is one of the best 3rd base coaches in the league, he's always been good for us, so I don't know where that came from. His eyes are good and working well with us.

*****!

soltrain21
07-24-2005, 03:04 PM
You are right on soltrain21 - another thing I find unbearable is the constant butt licking of Joey Cora. It's clear to me that Joey's a huge problem. Even earlier this game - he got lucky that the ball bounced away from Ramirez. The split screen showed that if the ball doesn't bounce that way - Everett makes the first out at the plate. Even if he held him, he would've gotten home after the bounce.

I don't agree with that. I think Cora has been a great 3rd base coach. No better or worse than anyone else out there. Every third base coach has sent a guy who has been thrown out at home. The play just happens too much for that NOT to happen.

DrGiggles
07-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Again, I was just watching and Hawk brought up to 1-2 punch. I really understand these guys are great, but can't he bring up other stats or something else other than this everytime Ramirez gets up. Again I know they are awesome but give us something new to learn.

DrGiggles
07-24-2005, 03:07 PM
*****!

Name some better ones then, so you can correct me. Seriously.

Daver
07-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Name some better ones then, so you can correct me. Seriously.

Doug Rader.

Bruce Kim.

Wallace Johnson.

DrGiggles
07-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Give me a break, he's good and you know it. Even with our slow runners.

putherawaywet
07-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Unbelievable, one inning later Joey proves me absolutely correct. Why even bother trying to get Gload to third with two outs. Not making the last out at third is baseball 101. With Konerko running as soon as the ball is hit (with two outs), there's no question that he's going to score. Dumb, stupid Joey fails to hold Gload at second. Earlier this series, trying to score Konerko from second on a single to left. Sending Frank against the A's in the same situation. Sending Konerko from first on a double last week. This happens all the stinkin time. It runs us out of innings. It hurts the team. Completely unacceptable. Of course, Hawk and DJ say nothing.

On the replay you can see Joey trying to wave Gload back to second after waving him over. It's somehow's Gload's fault that he couldn't interpret these mixed signals while running at full speed. Come on - this is totally lame. Yeah, we got the run but we should still be up with a guy in scoring postion and maybe knocking their starting pitcher out the game.

DrGiggles
07-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Let's just end this thread, it's a different subject then how it started.

Daver
07-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Give me a break, he's good and you know it. Even with our slow runners.

No, he's terrible.

It's your fault if you choose to believe otherwise.

Palehose13
07-24-2005, 03:21 PM
I just heard Hawk say something about not being that impressed with teh Red Sox.

On Joey with Gload...it looked to me that he was giving him the "slide" wave, not to go back to second.

Brian26
07-24-2005, 03:22 PM

Let's be honest, the original subject you started is bull**** too. Hawk's been talking all weekend about how much better this team is than the Red Sox. He just said we can take them in the playoffs. The only admiration he's shown towards them is after Manny hit the homer on Thursday following Crede's error...

:hawk

"That's why he makes 20 million a year."

Daver
07-24-2005, 03:22 PM

Translation;

I don't have any way to argue the truth, so I want to walk away from the debate.

Brian26
07-24-2005, 03:24 PM
I just heard Hawk say something about not being that impressed with teh Red Sox.

"We've got more home runs than them. We've got better starting pitching than them. We've got more speed than them. We've got better situational hitting than them. We've got a better bullpen than them. We've got better uniforms than them. We get more ass on the road than them. We've got better looking wives than them. We can drink more beer than them...."

DrGiggles
07-24-2005, 03:24 PM
I guess opinions don't mean anything, on this forum they just mean if your wrong you get ripped on, I understand. I'm sorry.

Daver
07-24-2005, 03:26 PM
I guess opinions don't mean anything, on this forum they just mean if your wrong you get ripped on, I understand. I'm sorry.

Opinion means a lot, if you can come up with a decent debate to back your opinion, but to throw an opinion out there and expect it to get accepted because it is your opinion holds no water here.

Palehose13
07-24-2005, 03:28 PM

"We've got more home runs than them. We've got better starting pitching than them. We've got more speed than them. We've got better situational hitting than them. We've got a better bullpen than them. We've got better uniforms than them. We get more ass on the road than them. We've got better looking wives than them. We can drink more beer than them...."

What's in bold is what is really important! :D:

MarySwiss
07-24-2005, 03:32 PM
On Joey with Gload...it looked to me that he was giving him the "slide" wave, not to go back to second.

Disagree. IMHO, he was waving him back. Weird thing was, though, seemed like Gload was looking right at him and didn't get it, so obviously Joey was being less than clear.

Rocklive99
07-24-2005, 03:36 PM
I was real happy with Bruce Kim, he was the main guy I missed from the old regime

Palehose13
07-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Disagree. IMHO, he was waving him back. Weird thing was, though, seemed like Gload was looking right at him and didn't get it, so obviously Joey was being less than clear.

The red sox announcers showed the play about 3 times from the angle of third base because they were confused as to why Gload didn't slide because Joey was clearly doing the slide "hail".

RallyBowl
07-24-2005, 04:19 PM

this is (except for the last three parts) almost exactly what hawk said the other night. Did you miss that dr. giggles?

Brian26
07-24-2005, 04:43 PM
this is (except for the last three parts) almost exactly what hawk said the other night. Did you miss that dr. giggles?

He said it today too. He's been saying it all weekend. I added the last few parts as a joke, but, yeah, Hawk's been stuck on this theme all weekend.

JRIG
07-24-2005, 05:28 PM
He said it today too. He's been saying it all weekend. I added the last few parts as a joke, but, yeah, Hawk's been stuck on this theme all weekend.

Hawk....getting stuck on a theme? No, you can't be serious.

"It's like I always say, DJ. Don't tell me what you say, tell me when you said it."

BanditJimmy
07-24-2005, 05:49 PM
I have no problem in the Hawk admiring both Ortiz and Manny. IF you are a basball fan and can't acknowledge how good those two guys are, then you have issues.

You put those two guys in our line-up and we are punching a ticket to the World Series right now.

I'm just glad the Twins saw no reason to sign Ortiz to a long term deal a few years back. The same way they passed on Prior.

SEALgep
07-24-2005, 06:02 PM
I have been really annoyed with Hawk the last couple days, he should just be the Red Sox announcer for all I care. Every time Ramirez and Ortiz has been up all he talks about is them and about how they're the best 1-2 punch he's ever seen and always talking about Ramirez's $20 million salary and how good he plays. I think its awful how much he talks about them all the time and how good they are, he's obsessed with them and very annoying how many times he has repeated himself about their salary and efforts. What do you guys think?Hey buddy, Ortiz and Rameriz have close to 90 RBI's each. That's getting it done.

Lip Man 1
07-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Any objectivity on Hawk's part is always very welcome. Boston has some damn good players....if they make the post season they'll be a load to handle.

Lip

ewokpelts
07-25-2005, 02:51 AM
you're starting to sound like cubs pitchers now....
Gene

mccoydp
07-25-2005, 07:17 AM
Ortiz and Ramirez are very good hitters...they're both very dangerous at the plate. Ramirez may look like a carefree goof, but his numbers don't lie.

Cowhead418
07-25-2005, 08:28 AM
Joey Cora was great last year but he sucks this year. I don't know how many times Konerko has been thrown out at the plate. And remember that time he sent Thomas and nearly got him hurt again? He's terrible this year.

RKMeibalane
07-25-2005, 08:31 AM
The Sox have a nice 1-2 punch of their own, though the first part of that combination is on the DL.

:walnuts

"Actually, RKM, that's not true. Magglio Ordonez was the best player I've ever played with."

Hangar18
07-25-2005, 08:59 AM
Fine it was just my opinion. I know they are awesome, but it annoys me how much he brings up the stuff about them. It may be justified, I was just expressing my opinion and asking your guys.

I didnt think it was annoying. Ramirez is a guy on a tear and in his prime ...... Hawk was just telling the truth. Theres nothing wrong if you tell the truth my friend ....... By contrast, 8miles north, were being told how rosy everything is, and how GREAT their players are ........ all BS

Flight #24
07-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Unbelievable, one inning later Joey proves me absolutely correct. Why even bother trying to get Gload to third with two outs. Not making the last out at third is baseball 101. With Konerko running as soon as the ball is hit (with two outs), there's no question that he's going to score.

Not from this viewpoint. While I doubt Cors thought this far ahead, the first thing I thought when Joey waved Gload onto third and drew the throw was "Phew, that'll make sure Konerko scores".

Had the throw gone home, there would have been a play because Konerko is slower than whatever it is you consider to be really really slow.

scottjanssens
07-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Had the throw gone home, there would have been a play because Konerko is slower than whatever it is you consider to be really really slow.

Konerko had home easily. That's why the throw went to third.

wdelaney72
07-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Nothing wrong with giving credit to Manny and Ortiz. Hawk still made it very clear that he likes our team better (as posted earlier), and I totally agree. The only aspect of the game you could argue is hitting. Pitching, speed, defense... I'll put my money on our guys.

What really needs to happen is some credit to Contreras. Here's a guy's whose career numbers against Boston are AWFUL and he pitched a pretty solid game for us. I've been one of Contreras's biggest critics and had penciled in a loss for Sunday before the game started, but he went in and got the job done.

SpammySosa
07-25-2005, 10:08 AM

Molasses>Konerko
Snail>Konerko
My 87 year old grandmother>Konerko
Turtle>Konerko
Anything and Anyone>Konerko