PDA

View Full Version : Vizcaino

jabrch
07-23-2005, 11:31 AM
I know he's not a closer candidate - and not the best, second best, or even third best guy in our pen. He didn't help things much on Thursday night either. But he has really gotten better the past two months after a terrible first two months of the season.

If you exclude the single game where he was asked to just soak it up for the bullpen, and he just got pounded for 6 ER, his ERA is under 3.00 on the year. He's no stud, but he and Jenks make a pretty decent 5/6 combination. Both have the talent to be more than the back of a pen.

If we were to make a trade to get a front of the pen guy (Wagner) I think it would be a shame to see Jenks sent down (Fans just love watching him pitch) or even Viz who has been decent. That said, get me Wagner and I won't think twice about it.

PAPChiSox729
07-23-2005, 11:39 AM
I know he's not a closer candidate - and not the best, second best, or even third best guy in our pen. He didn't help things much on Thursday night either. But he has really gotten better the past two months after a terrible first two months of the season.

If you exclude the single game where he was asked to just soak it up for the bullpen, and he just got pounded for 6 ER, his ERA is under 3.00 on the year. He's no stud, but he and Jenks make a pretty decent 5/6 combination. Both have the talent to be more than the back of a pen.

If we were to make a trade to get a front of the pen guy (Wagner) I think it would be a shame to see Jenks sent down (Fans just love watching him pitch) or even Viz who has been decent. That said, get me Wagner and I won't think twice about it.

I agree with you 100%. I was pretty excited when I heard we acquired Vizcaino in the CLee-Pods deal. But when Luis got off to a rough start, it was harder for me to find a way to defend him. Luckily, he has improved over the past 2 months and really done a pretty decent job. However, it seems that Luis has trouble with pressure situations. Ozzie just has to figure out how to handle Luis. If he does this, I would expect the ERA to continue to fall. That being said, I certainly wouldn't be heartbroken to see Luis go if it meant having Wagner.

Vernam
07-23-2005, 02:12 PM
I agree Vizcaino isn't someone I'd be desperate to unload, but not to keep, either. He's definitely an upgrade over Mike Jackson or even Jon Adkins.

VC

soxfanreggie
07-23-2005, 02:44 PM
He's a guy I'd definitely ship to Philly for Wagner. However, we would have to give up a top outfield prospect or a top pitching prospect...definitely 2-4 guys. Or, we could take Thome off their hands and eat a chunk of his contract, which I have heard is what they want someone to do. Maybe we could get him and ship him out for a prospect or two.

jabrch
07-23-2005, 04:42 PM
He's a guy I'd definitely ship to Philly for Wagner. However, we would have to give up a top outfield prospect or a top pitching prospect...definitely 2-4 guys. Or, we could take Thome off their hands and eat a chunk of his contract, which I have heard is what they want someone to do. Maybe we could get him and ship him out for a prospect or two.

I totally agree - I wasn't intending to imply that we'd get Wagner for Viz - it would probably cost one of our top prospects - maybe more. Now if we'd take Thome off their hands (his contract more than anything) they might be more willing to part with Wagner if they are out of it. They want Howard to be the guy at 1B for the future - and would love to unload that huge deal they gave Thome. Since PK is gone after this year, we have both some salary room and a spot to play him at. Philly would have to pay part of Thome's massive contract - but...