PDA

View Full Version : About Last Year's Garcia Trade

Cowhead418
07-23-2005, 12:06 PM
I found out about this site in January of this year (I used to post on the mlb.com boards) so I have no idea what went on in this site last year. With all the trade rumor threads and pipedream posts I've always wondered what went on last year with Garcia. Was there a lot of pipedream posts about him? Did people think we had a chance to get him or was there a general consensus that the Yankees or Red Sox would land him? Was there a lot of obsession about getting him? What was the reaction after KW landed him?

Mickster
07-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Search the threads, you should be able to find many. But please........DON'T POST IN AN OLD THREAD TO BRING IT BACK TO LIFE. The mods will not be happy and you might earn a vacation.

Cowhead418
07-23-2005, 12:18 PM
Search the threads, you should be able to find many. But please........DON'T POST IN AN OLD THREAD TO BRING IT BACK TO LIFE. The mods will not be happy and you might earn a vacation.
Wow I looked in the "We got Garcia!" thread and most of the posters here absolutely hated the trade when it went down.

fquaye149
07-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Wow I looked in the "We got Garcia!" thread and most of the posters here absolutely hated the trade when it went down.

It came at the worst possible time - right after miggy had hit a GW home-run.

Not to mention Reed had been almost as hyped as Bmac had been coming out of ST this year.

Imagine if we had traded McCarthy at the beginning of the season and you'll understand the initial annoyance most posters here had with it.

Of course the vast majority of intelligent posters have come around and now think it was a good trade. There are still some holdouts who have mancrushes on Reed (not naming any names, but Jeremy B1) who can't get over losing a .250 hitter with a great glove for one of the best available pitchers.

JB98
07-23-2005, 01:23 PM

IIRC, most posters reacted as if someone had just shot their dog. It was a Friends of Miguel lovefest. I actually liked Olivo, but you don't pass on an opportunity to acquire a pitcher who is good for 200 IP and 15-18 wins a year.

I never cared about Jeremy Reed. We have a good outfield at the big-league level, and if you look at our farm system, four of our top 10 prospects are outfielders. In that case, we were dealing from a position of strength. We don't miss Reed, regardless of what the FOBB think.

Optipessimism
07-24-2005, 02:27 AM
There are still some holdouts who have mancrushes on Reed (not naming any names, but Jeremy B1) who can't get over losing a .250 hitter with a great glove for one of the best available pitchers.

Actually, Garcia WAS the best available pitcher. I think a lot of the worry was about how he would do in the Cell after pitching in SafeCo, but it has turned out to be a great move.

JB98
07-24-2005, 02:44 AM
Actually, Garcia WAS the best available pitcher. I think a lot of the worry was about how he would do in the Cell after pitching in SafeCo, but it has turned out to be a great move.

There actually is some validity to the concerns about him pitching at the Cell. He's been hit or miss at home, but absolutely dominant on the road. Freddy is a strange pitcher. There is wide variance in his home and road splits and wide variance in his day and night splits. It's hard to explain. There must be some difference in his routine or his preparation.

SOXintheBURGH
07-24-2005, 03:05 AM
There actually is some validity to the concerns about him pitching at the Cell. He's been hit or miss at home, but absolutely dominant on the road. Freddy is a strange pitcher. There is wide variance in his home and road splits and wide variance in his day and night splits. It's hard to explain. There must be some difference in his routine or his preparation.

I think its more of a freak thing.

Garcia will give you 7 IP with 1 ER and 5 H on the road or with a day game.. otherwise......

balke
07-24-2005, 09:52 AM
I hated to see Olivo go, but loved getting Garcia. It was a big time need for the 04' Sox. We just had about the sickest lineup EVER though, so it was a little sad watching a good hitting Olivo with his arm leave. It meant we'd have to see Alomar sr. some more, and Davis at the plate.

I didn't think we needed Reed, because I'd always heard Anderson was the Sox' future. Only after months of arguing did I research the trade enough to see Morse might have been the guy Seattle wanted in that deal. The power of having 3 great starters while potentially entering the playoffs this season, far outweighs the value of anything we gave up.

He gone
07-24-2005, 10:22 AM
I didn't find this site until May of this year, but I was one of them doubting the trade. I kept telling everyone that would listen that Oliva, Reed and Morse were going to be ML Studs and Garcia was having a lousy season (I know he was on a lousy team). I really wanted to see Morse at short-stop someday for the Sox.

chisoxfan64
07-24-2005, 10:26 AM
My friends and I were walking to our car after that game where Miguel hit the homer and got sent packing. Some guys were in the parking lot and said hey, we got Garcia. I said Great, he said, but we traded Miguel. I said, Oh well, thanks for the memories.

Brian26
07-24-2005, 10:36 AM

I was listening to Willsy on the postgame when he announced it, so I started the thread. Most people's reactions went from disbelief to anger. In hindsight, they were totally wrong. One person was quoted as, "Trading Miggy for a 4-13 headcase alcoholic? I HATE this trade!" How completely wrong when you see what has happened this year.

jabrch
07-24-2005, 11:45 AM
I loved the trade then. I still do. Extending Freddy 3 years was huge. He's a bargain at the price we have him at. Miguel just hasn't developed - in fact he has regressed from where he was two year ago defensively. He still cant hit low stuff well at all. .147/.169/.259 is really bad. And for all the Jeremy Reed hype, we didn't really have a spot for him. He wasn't going to play for us in the team we had (Rowand and Lee in LF and CF and Reed is clearly not a RF) The Lee for Pods trade only validated that we could get a guy BETTER than Reed to be at the top of the order and play LF. .257/.325/.353 is just not that amazing either.

Down the road, Reed may be a serviceable everyday player. But Freddy is a strong #2/#3 today. And we still have Borch, Sweeney, Anderson, etc. in the OF in the minors, all whom have varying degrees of talent and skills and (again - to varying degrees) play a roll with this club.

The Freddy trade worked out great for us. Kudos again to KW for making a move despite the potential it had to be unpopular with a subset of the populations of fans who tend to overrate prospects, ours in particular, and not look at what guys really can do on the field.

Oh, and getting away from some of the Seattle nightlife and the negative influences he had there and on that team, and being with this club, and closer to Ozzie didn't hurt him any.

Black Sox
07-24-2005, 02:39 PM
I didn't find this site until May of this year, but I was one of them doubting the trade. I kept telling everyone that would listen that Oliva, Reed and Morse were going to be ML Studs and Garcia was having a lousy season (I know he was on a lousy team). I really wanted to see Morse at short-stop someday for the Sox.

Morse is doing pretty well for the Mariners this year since being called up. He's hitting over .300 but has only one homerun.

I didn't like the trade at first. I'll admit to it. I felt like we gave up too much and I hated to see Olivo go. But since we've been able to replace Olivo with AJ and Garcia is proving his worth, its turned out to be a gem of a deal. We didn't give the M's any superstars. We gave them some "nice players." Kenny Williams is slowly putting together a rotation that can stay together for a few years. With Buerhle, Garland, Garcia, and the prospect of getting Burnett, the Sox could be set for years with a moderately young and most importantly, entering their prime starting pitchers.

TaylorStSox
07-24-2005, 02:43 PM
I hated the trade. It wasn't for what we lost. I hated the trade because I didn't like Garcia. He had a reputation for being a fat, lazy, underachiever that didn't really enjoy playing baseball.

He's proved me wrong. I've been eating alot of crow because of it.