PDA

View Full Version : Scout Seats/ My Experience

cbone
07-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Two very good friends of mine won four scout seats (2 apiece) to lasts nights game. Knowing that my family and I love the Sox they saw it in their hearts to "give" me the tickets. It's costing me a dinner at Ruth's Chris, so depending on the wine, I could lose money on the deal. :?: Just a quick overview for people that are curious.

Pros: Parking, right next to the gate.
Food and Drink: A pre game buffet and everything you want till the 7th
and they are not bashful it's almost forced on you.
Increible seats: You already know this. :smile:

Cons: Fans: Not a lot of Sox fans around there, mostly people
that knew somebody, customers etc... God
forbid you sit by someone who actually forked
over the 170-250 for the tickets, as the jerk behind
kept reminding his friends over and over and over.

He was a broker in the Wheat pit at the CBOT as he
also kept telling everyone over and over and over.

No one really watches the game, and what a game it
was last night!

Bathrooms: Quite a hike from the seats, very surprised.

The one thing that made our night incredible happened right when we got to our seats. It was probaly 6:00. Pudge and Mr T. had just walked on the field. My wife and son walked right up and got their picture with Pudge and his mitt autographed. My son said "Thank you so much, Mr. Fisk!" He was very surprised my son was so polite and thanked my wife. The sad part is there was a bigger crowd of kids trying to get Mr. T's autograph! (I pity the fools!)
A once in a lifetime experience, but I was really surprised how much I miss fan interaction.

Vernam
07-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Pros: Parking, right next to the gate.
Food and Drink: A pre game buffet and everything you want till the 7th
and they are not bashful it's almost forced on you.
Increible seats: You already know this. :smile:
What, did you miss the post-game buffet? :smile: That part sounds cool -- better than waiting in traffic, assuming you can still eat another bite by then.

I haven't been in the Scout section, but I've parked there for a game where we had a Skybox. That is so sweet . . . Leaving the park last night, we saw Nancy Faust make her getaway from that lot, and I mean she was on the street less than five minutes after the last pitch. License plate: NA NA NA.

Bathrooms: Quite a hike from the seats, very surprised.
They should put a Port-a-Potty right in the Scout section. Or wait, that would be unseemly. Come to think, it's a real inconvenience for the Scout fans to even have to leave their seats to relieve themselves. That's for the Phase VI renovations. :redneck

My son said "Thank you so much, Mr. Fisk!" He was very surprised my son was so polite and thanked my wife . . .
A once in a lifetime experience, but I was really surprised how much I miss fan interaction.
Good for your son! Though the fans are indifferent down there, I hope at least that they don't curse like sailors in front of kids. That's one thing bothering me at this year's games, because so many 20-somethings give no thought to dropping f-bombs even if young kids are present. I must be getting old . . .

So c'mon, we need more detail about the buffet!

VC

cbone
07-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Buffet was very good, let's see if I can visualize..... Short Ribs, Chicken, Pasta with Scallops, Assorted veges, A carving station with Turkey and beef brisket, And don't forget the full bar. :bandance: :gulp:

Couldn't do the sweet table although my son ran in and grabbed something.

F bombs were everywhere thanks to the lovely gentleman behind us. Even his friend were telling him to shut up.

putherawaywet
07-23-2005, 10:20 AM
the scout seats are awesome - probably even worth the high price tag - the buffet includes a dude slicing prime rib, another dude working on the turkey, etc. They've even got a cooler of ben and jerry's ice cream to plow through. It's truly first class.

SoxxoS
07-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Not hijack but I sat on the warning track in the patio area yesterday...that was pretty cool. Really good fried chicken and free beer...Im not going to lie.

bahn1225
07-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Especially in a section like this, where your paying a premium for your enjoyment,
if a patron is acting inappropriately, i.e. cursing,
notify an usher, attendant, whatever.

I don't care if he trades all the wheat in Kansas.
If he doesn't know how to behave in public,
HE GONE!

TimChamp
07-23-2005, 12:25 PM
F bombs were everywhere thanks to the lovely gentleman behind us. Even his friend were telling him to shut up.

And I thought I had it bad on Thursday night. The guy behind me was cheering for Boston the whole game while using Hawk's catchphrases. It really pissed me off at first, when he continually shouted, "He Gone" when our players struck out, but I thought it was funny when he screamed at the top of his lungs, Hawk's HR call when Manny hit the GW HR...I was so hoping we would come back in the bottom of the 9th so that I could shout with all my might to the guy, "YOU GONE!!!" Oh well, I still had a great time at the Scout Seats.

--Champ out

Palehose13
07-23-2005, 12:26 PM
I really want to drop the money and sit back there either sometime this year or next year. However, it is my understanding that you need to be a season ticket holder to get the seats. Since I am only a 13-game ST holder, if any of you full season tickets holders would like to discuss with me about scoring some scout tickets for me sometime...let me know!

TimChamp
07-23-2005, 12:39 PM
I really want to drop the money and sit back there either sometime this year or next year. However, it is my understanding that you need to be a season ticket holder to get the seats. Since I am only a 13-game ST holder, if any of you full season tickets holders would like to discuss with me about scoring some scout tickets for me sometime...let me know!

Single game Scout Seats are available, BUT for a hefty price. While season ticket holders pay only $170, single game tickets in the Scout Seats are valued at at least $220. Call the White Sox ticket department and they can discuss this with you. Because at the game I went to on Thursday, there were at least 10 fans there that bought single game Scout Seat tickets and they told me they got it for $225.

--Champ out

scottjanssens
07-23-2005, 12:51 PM
It cost me $220 for scout seats for tomorrow's (7/24) Boston game which is a premier game so I doubt it goes any higher unless it's a Cubs game. It's my understanding that in order to purchase single game scout seats you must be a season ticket holder. AFAIK an Ozzie plan is still a season ticket plan. You may be able to by individual game scout seats. Call your account rep to find out. If not, PM me and we'll talk.

scottjanssens
07-23-2005, 12:51 PM
And I thought I had it bad on Thursday night. The guy behind me was cheering for Boston the whole game while using Hawk's catchphrases.

Were you sitting in 531? Same thing was happening behind me.

TimChamp
07-23-2005, 01:39 PM
Were you sitting in 531? Same thing was happening behind me.

No, I was in the Scout Seats that night...thanks to my brother's early birthday present...But I am guessing your guy was about as annoying as mine...Oh well, what can you do; those are probably ScRub fans that say they HATE our broadcasters and yet continually LOVE to listen to their broadcasts (at least Hawk)...

--Champ out

Vernam
07-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I'm sort of with bahn1225 w/r/t telling security, especially if you've paid for premium seats. Our seats this year are upper deck (row 2 of 527), and the crowd is noticeably rowdier there than in 119, where we sat last year. Don't get me wrong: I love the upper deck because it reminds me of Old Comiskey, partly because the people are more blue-collar and definitely into the game (not to say all white-collar ones aren't, obviously). But the cursing is unbelievable at times, like a Scorcese flick or the Sopranos.

VC

soxfanreggie
07-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Surprised Fisk signed, maybe he's a lot happier now that he's got his new statue. I'd like to sit in the scout seats some day. I think it's cheaper at the Cell as compared to the Trop. dome where you watch a bottom of the barrel team rather than the cream of the crop.

Hagan
07-24-2005, 03:29 AM
I sat in the scout seats once. jay pinsky gave my dad a call and told him that he had some scout seats if we wanted them and of course we were all over them. WE got there and ate some really good food in the tent and then had the best view of batting practice. I ate so much free food there and saw no cons really other than there are not a lot of knowledgable sox fans in there. Everyone was very nice and I had a wonderful time. The seats are not worth paying $175 a game but they are extremely nice!

scottjanssens
07-24-2005, 09:42 PM
My 2 cents on the scout seats in which i sat for the first time today...

Amazing service, although there are times when the amazing service is blocking your view while they serve others. The buffet is excellent and at today's day game contained breakfast foods (cream cheese stuffed french toast is so good it will cost you karma) as well as roast turkey, roast beef, pasta, and some fast food type items such as chicken strips (really really good chicken strips) and curly fries. Alcohol is bottomless and served at full potency. Food in the seats is more traditional ball park fare: hot dogs, Italian beef as well as some of the food found in the club level. By the entrance to the seats is a freezer of ice cream treats, a refrigerator of soft drinks, a popcorn machine, and a barrel of peanuts. You're free to grab what you want or ask a server to bring some to you. In today's heat servers kept bringing cold water soaked towels which made a huge difference in comfort as well as continually offering bottles of water.

The seats are cushioned both on the seat and the back and next to every seat is a small shelf. It's amazing how when suddenly provided a shelf, you'll find stuff to put on it. Parking in lot D coming via 35th is very nice. The restrooms, as mentioned, are a bit longer walk than you're used to (but not bad IMO). This is made up by the fact that they're nicer, cleaner, and don't have lines during the game (short lines after, at least in the men's).

This was the 2nd time I've sat so close to the plate. I'm not sure I'd like to sit there every game (I prefer a higher view of the field), but it's definitely an interesting way to experience a major league game and it's always nice to be pampered. Fortunately it was a good group of fans today so I didn't have the problems mentioned earlier. In fact the only problem was some White Sox fan just behind the scout seats was throwing peanuts at couple of Red Sox fans. Security put a stop to that as soon as it was brought to their attention.

The only drawback is the steep ticket price, but that's hardly unexpected. If a $200 ticket doesn't give you pause, it's a great way to see a ballgame. I don't recommend eating before hand.

Edit: Rearranged a poorly constructed paragraph so that it's clear the cushioned seats referred to are the seats in the ballpark and not the seats in the men's room.

ChicagoHoosier
07-25-2005, 09:13 AM
I sat there for a Tampa Bay game this year, watching Contreras pitch a great game. It's ALMOST worth the money. If you can take advantage of the food and liquor, then it gets pretty close. The parking lot is great. I had a mixed drink and beer in the bar before the game along with samplng just about everything on the buffet, then about one beer each inning as the game continued.

If you add up the parking, the best seats in the house, the food, and the beer, then you're probably already over 1/2 way to what you'd spend otherwise. So you're doubling your price for the luxury and the convenience. But it was truly an experience and I'd love to find a way to do it again sometime.

Maybe WSI members should all contribute $200 to a pot and each one of us goes to one of the games next year with our season tickets!